Drawing 2030 Maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:19:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Drawing 2030 Maps
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Drawing 2030 Maps  (Read 635 times)
kwabbit

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 16, 2023, 04:48:25 PM »

Michigan 2030

Me and TimTurner were discussing Michigan's 2030 map. It's debatable whether Michigan will have 13 or 12 districts by then, but I think it's likely to keep 13. By that point, one Black CD in Detroit might make more sense. The Flint-Saginaw-Bay City area will be struggling to support a district by that point and will be Republican at the top of the ballot anyway and therefore will be scrapped, but it possibly will remain in place.

My attempt is above.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 05:00:13 PM »

68.8% Black on 2020 numbers might be too high for current VRA jurispence. Even with black flight from Detroit, and likely white population growth in the city, that might still work out to be 62% or so, still too high in 2030 (and too close to being a maximum-majority pack).
My solution to this was placing in lily-white Dearborn, but in 2030 this would probably guarantee a Tliab vs Thanedar primary.
kwabbit

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 05:19:35 PM »

68.8% Black on 2020 numbers might be too high for current VRA jurispence. Even with black flight from Detroit, and likely white population growth in the city, that might still work out to be 62% or so, still too high in 2030 (and too close to being a maximum-majority pack).
My solution to this was placing in lily-white Dearborn, but in 2030 this would probably guarantee a Tliab vs Thanedar primary.

Exchanged the Black downriver municipalities for parts of Livonia, now it's at 66.9%. Might be sub 60% by the time of the 2030 census. I don't think the Supreme Court will be that picky any time soon, given the weakening of the VRA. I guess we'll see the Alabama decision, but if that's upheld this would be as well.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 05:24:26 PM »

Exchanged the Black downriver municipalities for parts of Livonia, now it's at 66.9%. Might be sub 60% by the time of the 2030 census. I don't think the Supreme Court will be that picky any time soon, given the weakening of the VRA. I guess we'll see the Alabama decision, but if that's upheld this would be as well.
Ah, that's an improvement.
Yeah, I guess we'll see.
kwabbit

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2023, 08:51:18 PM »

PA 2030 with 16 districts

Here is PA with 16 districts if it drops to that. Which is pretty borderline. SE PA + Lehigh Valley + South Central PA hold up well and NE PA and the rurals lose most of the lost seat.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 11:00:52 AM »

You all may be interested in this thread

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=473206
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2023, 05:17:51 PM »

This has been seen. Thanks for making it.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2023, 01:48:49 PM »

Here is PA with 16 districts if it drops to that. Which is pretty borderline. SE PA + Lehigh Valley + South Central PA hold up well and NE PA and the rurals lose most of the lost seat.

Like your map.

What's weird about Pennsylvania is that the fastest growing part of the state overall is greater Phillydelphia/Septa, yet this region is prolly also most likely to lose a seat due to the current map "bacon-stripping" out the suburban districts from the 2010s map in the name of least change. The 2010s map really nicely nested 6 districts between Philly and the Collar Counties.

Tbf your map cuts both a rural PA seat and a Philly seat and creates a new exurban PA-06 which finally keeps Berks County whole.
kwabbit

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2023, 02:05:12 PM »

Like your map.

What's weird about Pennsylvania is that the fastest growing part of the state overall is greater Phillydelphia/Septa, yet this region is prolly also most likely to lose a seat due to the current map "bacon-stripping" out the suburban districts from the 2010s map in the name of least change. The 2010s map really nicely nested 6 districts between Philly and the Collar Counties.

Tbf your map cuts both a rural PA seat and a Philly seat and creates a new exurban PA-06 which finally keeps Berks County whole.

I hate the skinny Montgomery into Berks seat. I think the Fitz seat should always take NE Philly so the Montgomery seat doesn’t have to get even skinnier.

It was kind of frustrating that the Berks area was still weird even in 16 seats. It ruins mapping the state for me with 17 seats so I was hoping for a reprieve.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies