The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:27:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 38
Author Topic: The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread  (Read 33491 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: September 28, 2022, 02:58:16 PM »

lol I've watched 3 a day almost all days for 10 years now but I just saw this thread.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #376 on: September 29, 2022, 06:50:08 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2022, 05:58:15 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

I don't usually talk about movies I've already seen on here, and that pertains to the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy which is one of my favorite pieces of pop cultures entirely. However, I haven't seen the extended editions in their entirety before and finally saw them on HBO Max, given the relevance of 'Rings of Power' (which I still have yet to see). I now think that they are the definitive way to watch the trilogy. While the deleted scenes of all three collectively add about three hours to the total watching time, I didn't mind it because they also add a lot of context and details that enriches the characters and world-building...well, most of the time. Some of them weren't much else but comedic relief moments that weren't all that funny necessary, but overall I liked the cut scenes.

I also watched 'Thor: Love and Thunder' on Disney Plus. Having found 'Ragnarok' pretty average, contrary to how popular it is and given the more mixed reception towards its sequel, I expected to dislike it. And while I kind of did, it wasn't by as much as I expected. 'Ragnarok' is indeed superior but 'Love and Thunder' is only a small notch below it, in my opinion. It's a low tier Marvel film, but not a bottom tier one as I thought it could be.

I had many problems with the film, many of which I don't even want to get into, but it didn't make the movie annoying or un-entertaining to me. So that's something. I especially appreciate that it was only barely two hours long. And it is still better than the first two Thor films. It has a better visual flare (though some of the effects were bad!) and some more creativity and cleverness than them. Again, that's kind of faint praise though because the Thor saga, on average, is definitely one of the worst of the Marvel sub-series, neck-and-neck with Ant-Man and Iron Man. I don't think I'll ever watch it again and I think it's been confirmed that I just kind of don't like Thor as a starring character (he's better to me in an ensemble) and furthermore might not even like Taiki Waititi as a director. Every film of his underwhelms me for reasons I can't thematically discern like 'Jojo Rabbit' (I wrote a characteristically way too long post about it many pages back, maybe two years ago). I kind of don't care if they make another Thor film or not, but maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing to hand it off to someone else instead of Waititi.

Oh wait! I will say one thing! F*** those screaming goats! While I appreciate them being a nod to the actual Thor mythology in Norse culture, they were so annoying and got old really fast. It was also just such a hack joke to write. The screaming goat was a meme from like ten years ago. They might as well have made a "grape-stomping lady" joke while they were at it. Fainting goats are where it's at! That would have been way funnier!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #377 on: October 07, 2022, 07:05:51 PM »

Just watched ブレイブ -群青戦記- (Brave Gunjo Senkyo).
Cried a few times. I understood a decent chunk of it. Considering the material they were working with, it was right up my alley too.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #378 on: October 08, 2022, 09:41:41 AM »

Can't wait til Blk Adam comes out Rocks looks like one of those Egyptian Pharaohs too,clearly the Pharaohs we're Sudanese and the intermarried with Hebrew wives and some came out blk and some Arab and some look Hebrew we're all related the blk race made all races the black is the original man and Hebrew is the original cave man, clearly during evolution the Flintstones Hebrews finished evolving in Europe and came back down to Africa and made other races

Arabs and ASIANS , Native Americans yellow skin are clearly a mixing of blk and White , Hebrews we're the first Celtics
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #379 on: October 08, 2022, 05:45:33 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2022, 05:25:29 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

I watched 'Morbius' last night. It was exactly as bad as I knew it would be from that first trailer. But also really dull. It kind of disappointed me because I wanted to laugh at it. I did at a few small things, mostly the CGI effects, Al Madrigal shaking the litter box (?), Matt Smith in general, and whenever Jared Leto over-dramatically drank blood; but it really was like a time-warp back to the mid-2000's when every supernatural action movie was this embarrassing and lame. It reminded me of 'Resident Evil' or 'Underworld' the most, except even more generic. Also almost nothing happens in the movie! Two douches get into an argument-that's it! It's definitely the worst movie of 2022 I've seen so far.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #380 on: October 12, 2022, 05:34:26 PM »

Saw the new Im Westen Nichts Neues (All Quiet on the Western Front) tonight. I highly recommend it!

I've read the book and seen the 1979 and now 2022 versions, and i think each film had something to bring to the table (I've only seen snippets of the 1930 one). The 1979 one felt more nihilistic and really hammered home the futility and stupidity of it all; the 2022 version had you get emotionally invested in the lives of the characters so it felt more real when they died.

Although i didn't like some of the soundtrack of the 2022 film; the jarring modern Dunnnn-DUNNNN-Dunnnnn sound just seemed so out of place for a film set in 1917-1918 and took you out of it. But i especially liked how they mixed the politics and the negotiations into the film; it hammered home the callousness and indifference of the German High Command and how self-serving they were. I think the scenes where Ludendorff rants about the Social Democrats selling out the country makes a nice segue into the Babylon Berlin TV series, where you can understand how the Weimar Republic was set up to fail from the inside by a reactionary military and bureaucracy.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #381 on: October 12, 2022, 05:41:13 PM »

Saw the new Im Westen Nichts Neues (All Quiet on the Western Front) tonight. I highly recommend it!

I saw the old version earlier this year. I watched Paths of Glory last night. Both were well made.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #382 on: October 12, 2022, 10:26:37 PM »

Some recent reviews:

CODA
A

This was such a warm film, it had the potential of coming across as corny but I found it likeable. The main actress who plays a hearing daughter of an all-deaf family did a fantastic job and I'm amazed she didn't receive a Best Actress nomination. If I had one criticism of the film, it is that some lines are a tad too raunchy than they need to be (ugh am I such a prude now?)

Hairspray 2007 version
B+

A song from this movie randomly popped into my head last week, so I decided to rewatch this. I had only seen it once, after it came out on DVD back in 2007, and I thought it was good but not exactly a favorite. I like it aside from all the side songs of the mothers, which I think slow down the main story. I really enjoy the humor at the non-pc parts of the past.

Turning Red
A

This film was great, I haven't laughed this much in a while.

Heartstopper
A

A miniseries on Netflix about two British boys who fall in love. It was so cute!

West Side Story 2021
A-

I haven't seen the original in, uh, about 20 years. I always thought it was good but not quite my type of movie. The remake was surprisingly good, and much more gritty than the original. I'll always have an issue with the story taking place so quickly (seems to be 36 hours). Still, the acting and dancing scenes were great and I loved how they included Rita Moreno's character into the film.

Everything Everywhere All at Once
F

One of the worst movies I've ever seen. I hardly found any of it funny (although I found certain jokes repulsive). I could not connect with the story or characters. The premise is initially interesting but the execution is so jarring and chaotic to me that I did not enjoy this at all.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #383 on: October 12, 2022, 11:39:07 PM »

F

One of the worst movies I've ever seen. I hardly found any of it funny (although I found certain jokes repulsive). I could not connect with the story or characters. The premise is initially interesting but the execution is so jarring and chaotic to me that I did not enjoy this at all.

Bruh...
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #384 on: October 13, 2022, 10:44:34 AM »

The Princess Bride

- I watch this movie about once a week, it's good, I like the first half way more than the 2nd half.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #385 on: October 15, 2022, 01:35:52 AM »

F

Bruh...

Yup. I have noticed that every person I know who has seen this movie really loves it, with the exception of one group of people: My family. It has created an almost repulsive response among us, and a few have had to turn it off without finishing. There is something in the style of this movie that completely does not agree with us.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #386 on: October 29, 2022, 01:24:01 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2022, 01:28:35 AM by Meclazine »

Should have taken my girlfriend to the cinema for this one, but watched it at home in low light.

A spooky watch...
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #387 on: October 29, 2022, 11:36:50 PM »

Should have taken my girlfriend to the cinema for this one, but watched it at home in low light.

A spooky watch...

First act was amazing, after that, it was in my opinion good but not better than good. Overall, an above average film and one I would recommend.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #388 on: October 30, 2022, 07:33:33 PM »

Halloween Ends was pretty decent
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #389 on: October 30, 2022, 07:40:19 PM »

I saw Jurassic World: Oblivion.  It was fine for a popcorn movie, but I do agree the franchise has run its course.  Despite having all the old stars back from the original, there was nothing about it that I remembered at all the next day.  No standout scenes.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #390 on: October 30, 2022, 10:02:39 PM »

Has anyone here seen The Banshees of Inisherin yet? I haven't been to the theater in months, but I might go for this. In Bruges is one of my all-time favorite films, and this has the same director and starring duo.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #391 on: October 31, 2022, 12:31:55 AM »

Has anyone here seen The Banshees of Inisherin yet? I haven't been to the theater in months, but I might go for this. In Bruges is one of my all-time favorite films, and this has the same director and starring duo.

It has amazing reviews. Unfortunately for me, it's only playing at the Bloor & Yonge Cineplex in downtown Toronto. I have to either haul my butt there (unlikely), hope that it expands to more theaters, or wait for it to arrive on streaming / Video On Demand.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #392 on: October 31, 2022, 08:10:40 AM »

It has amazing reviews. Unfortunately for me, it's only playing at the Bloor & Yonge Cineplex in downtown Toronto. I have to either haul my butt there (unlikely), hope that it expands to more theaters, or wait for it to arrive on streaming / Video On Demand.

Just pirate it
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #393 on: October 31, 2022, 06:35:44 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2022, 06:49:52 PM by nicholas.slaydon »

I saw this film at a preview screening in March with my sister, she loved the movie, and is definitely cheering it on for Best Picture. I liked it, but didn't think it was all that great. Definitely looking forward to seeing the finished product, maybe I'll like it more the second time around (I definitely liked Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri a lot more the second time I saw it, so maybe McDonagh's films just need a second viewing for me). Definitely go see it in theaters, it's better than most that's in the theaters for sure.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #394 on: October 31, 2022, 11:43:55 PM »

Saw it in downtown Toronto this evening. Really good film.

It's kind of like Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, but it feels smaller, more contemplative, and slightly more pretentious. Also, very very Irish. It's a "deep" movie that you can think about and write essays about, and that can either be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what kind of film watcher you are.

8.5 (almost 8.0) / 10

Oscars: probably gets nominated for Picture, Screenplay, Actor (Colin Farrell), Supporting Actor (Kerry Condon), Supporting Actor (Brendan Gleeson), Original Score
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #395 on: November 01, 2022, 12:37:49 AM »

Ok. I have been doing nothing but law school stuff for months. I will treat myself for my birthday weekend with this movie if it's the last thing I do.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #396 on: November 04, 2022, 07:33:12 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2022, 07:36:17 PM by Meclazine »

Pearl (2022)

To be honest I would love the portrait poster.

Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #397 on: November 04, 2022, 08:02:55 PM »

Last movie I saw was The Great Debaters. Denzel Washington is just as good a director as he is an actor. Amazing writing throughout. Especially love the line "we must never kneel to the tyranny of a majority."
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #398 on: November 05, 2022, 06:35:58 PM »

Not bad. I will note that the title is almost defamatory in nature. We all know someone like this guy, and I thought it was well done. I was not expecting much, and it surprised.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #399 on: November 05, 2022, 07:27:14 PM »

The Banshees of Inisherin was good. Not on the level of In Bruges, though. While the latter struck a darkly comedic tone that was extremely appealing to me, this recent McDonagh effort is much darker and much less comedic. However, its exploration of the tension between the mundanity of everyday life and the desire to be remembered for one's achievements ultimately won me over. I find myself thinking about this more and more these days-- does leading a successful life mean being decent to those around you, or does it mean making your mark on history through leadership, innovation, or art? I struggle to answer this question in my own life, so seeing it worked through in this film was very moving. It reminded me somewhat of the themes in Bullets Over Broadway (perhaps my favorite Woody Allen film), a great movie that similarly examines the extremes that great artists sometimes feel they must go to in pursuit of their art.

I'm not 100% sure how I feel about this movie yet, but I think it was better than Seven Psychopaths and Three Billboards. Just getting to spend some time in Ireland was nice. What kind of dullard could dislike such a beautiful country?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 38  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies