The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:05:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread  (Read 30704 times)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« on: April 26, 2020, 10:06:53 AM »
« edited: April 27, 2020, 08:15:01 AM by Meclazine »

Young Frankenstein (1974) is one of the funniest comedies ever made. I cannot believe this was made in 1974. Clearly set the standard for comedy for the next 10-20 years.

The Witch (2015) started, but will wait for my girlfriend to watch the rest.

Buffalo 66 (1998) started, but will wait for my girlfriend to watch the rest.

Apocalypto (2006) is one of the most amazing pieces of cinematography you will ever see in terms of natural history.

Enter The Void (2009) is a great film about a brother and sister living in Japan. Into the Void is the name of my favourite Black Sabbath song.

Color Out of Space (2019) was a great find if you are into H P Lovecraft. Science Fiction remakes are difficult if the story was written 100 years ago, but Nicholas Cage excels.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 10:24:20 PM »

You know my thoughts on this one. I'm curious what you think of it.

I only watched the start and turned it off. Once i get to see it all with the missus, will write it up.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 09:49:12 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2020, 09:58:36 PM by Meclazine »

Alright, a dose of Art House movies I have watched in the last week that will melt your mind:

The Wicker Man (1973)  is a brilliantly disturbing film for its day which would have set a lot of minds thinking.

There is a nude scene with a young Britt Ekland from Sweden that may cause your girlfriend or wife to give you a clip over the back of ear if you watch too intently.

Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) is not for the light-hearted, but the film production and tension are tremendous and extreme respectively.

I found this enthralling, but a little difficult to watch. It is loosely based on an ancient Greek mythological story.

Apostle (2018) is about a man who enters a cult isolated on an island as he attempts to find a relative.

Gretel and Hansel (2020) concerns a brother and sister evicted into a world of pestilence from their cruel stepmother.

Turned out of their home with the door slammed at their back, the pair "set out to fend for themselves with only the clothes on their hides". Their foray into the woods is partly magical and partly horrifying. “Beware of those who offer gifts,” Hansel reminds Gretel after they are are taken in by a friendly woman in black.

Loved this interpretation of 1 classic story.

Out of the four, I would watch Gretel and Hansel and The Wicker Man again. I loved the cinematography of Gretel and Hansel.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 07:42:17 PM »

Loved this film. Try watching it in the dark.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 01:15:13 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2023, 07:48:20 AM by Meclazine »

Some of the films I have watched over the last fortnight. My girlfriend and I watched a couple, but she would not stomach Hagazussa, so I wont put that in front of her eyes.

A Cure for Wellness (2016)

This is a story of a finance executive who goes to Switzerland to track down the owner of a company who his corporate board needs back in the USA in order to complete the merger of two companies.

Hagazussa (2017)

This is an in-depth and intense film concerning the exploits of a 15th century mother and daughter living in a German forest. Needs subtitles.

In Fabric (2018)

This is a truly classic film about a 1980's department story selling women's clothing including dresses, shoes and the like.

The Other Lamb (2019)

A film about a young woman living in a cult.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 05:25:15 AM »

AC-DC

If You Want Blood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EWqTym2cQU

You Got It!

Frailty (2001)

This was actually a very coherent flic with a mysterious backdrop to the story.

Evil Dead (2013)

This is the modern take on the 1981 classic horror film. Normally I hate remakes of the same film, and there are ample examples I could list. However this one is a great version, and differs enough from the original film to be entertaining. Watch this if you want your girlfriend to feel squeamish.

À l'intérieur (2007)

Once in a while, a film comes along that really shocks, and this is shocking on many levels. Watch this if you want your girlfriend to leave the house.

Needs French subtitles.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 07:51:53 AM »

Animal Kingdom is free to watch on iView until Aug 18th.

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/animal-kingdom

Remarkable film based on a true story.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 10:41:06 PM »

'Mother!' is a real oddity, even as far as Aronofsky films go. I still can't quite articulate my thoughts on it. I neither hated nor liked it, and I wouldn't even say it was "meh" or "okay."

Mother! was very difficult to watch. Felt like a dream. I just kept disagreeing with the decisions that the characters were making. But made a lot more sense when I read up on the meaning of the film online. I will have to watch it again at some stage.

Watched the VVitch finally with my girlfriend.

I cannot believe this was made back in 2015 and I missed it for so long.

She hated it, which usually means it I like it, and it was......a great film. Given that my girlfriend was brought up as a hardline Catholic, she understands the religious relevance of The Wicker Man, The VVitch etc, but equally well, is more offended by their content.

I thought it was phenomenal, and one thing about Robert Eggers is era-correct production.

Both this and The Lighthouse really dumped you in to the time period and made you face the inevitable reality that people living at that time were faced with.

10/10. I wish all films were made with such vigour.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 06:11:42 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2020, 11:13:42 PM by Meclazine »

Rosemary's Baby

Directed by Roman Polanski.

Was this movie incomparable to any other film ever made in the 1960's?

Why did my parent's and teacher's not let me watch this film in the 1970's when I was a child?

Will I ever be the same after watching it?

Unlikely.

Stunning film. Don't read the internet trailer notes or spoilers. Just turn it on, sit back and enjoy.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 05:27:22 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2020, 09:58:50 PM by Meclazine »

The Wailing (2016)

Wow! If the quality of films in a country is related to it's standard of cultural and social wealth, then South Korea is a rapidly developing nation.

Phenomenal film. A visceral experience for the senses.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2020, 09:09:07 PM »
« Edited: December 21, 2020, 09:20:48 PM by Meclazine »

Three great movies I have watched in the last month. I won't say anything about them other then you will enjoy them not knowing anything going in.

(a) Horse Girl

(b) 12 Hour Shift

(c) Green Book

Three very thought provoking films that wont insult your intelligence.

All 3 left me wanting more. If you do watch them, watch Green Book on December 23rd for extra special effect.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 06:09:32 PM »

I love English films when they are made well.

A great story.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2021, 12:07:32 AM »

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

I don't know how I missed this classic. No prelude. No info. Just a simply incredible film.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 07:52:55 PM »

The Devil All The Time (2020)

Not sure whether I will be visiting Ohio or West Virginia after this movie.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2021, 01:20:07 AM »

Tropic Thunder is pretty hilarious. One of the better comedies I’ve seen recently for sure. It’s a shame that such a movie would be canceled today (if they tried making it).

"Pump your brakes, kid. That man's a national treasure."

Classic.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2021, 06:24:08 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2021, 01:09:47 AM by Meclazine »

Nitram (2021)

58 people shot. 35 killed.

Normally with movies, I rarely let people know what to expect with spoliers, but with this one, it is worth researching the actual event before watching the movie:

Port Arthur Massacre

Prime Minister John Howard (Prime Minister)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2G0j3FWKuE

The greatest achievement in Australian politics within 8 weeks of coming to office was to ban semi-auto rifles and shotguns.

Carlene Bryant (Mother)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56JCVbaCqCM

This guy was a couple of years older than me when I lived in Tasmania, and some of my friends in my Chemistry class at University had him at their private school in year 10. They said he was off the deep end with some form of Autism - AD/HD going on.

Most likely HPD - Histrionic Personality Disorder.

https://www.theaureview.com/watch/film-review-nitram-is-a-chilling-infuriating-yet-respectful-drama-detailing-one-of-australias-most-horrific-events/

"The Port Arthur Massacre of 1996 was horrific.  Perpetrated by a violently disturbed young man who shot and killed 35 people at a Tasmanian tourist site, with a legally purchased semi-automatic rifle."

https://www.australiancatholics.com.au/article/nitram

"The film is a dramatic adaptation of tragic events. It is not a particularly violent or sensational film, and the movie never refers to the killer’s full name, as this review doesn’t. It is respectful of the dignity of the victims, and does not show the details of the massacre itself, but chooses instead to concentrate on the isolation, reclusiveness, and growing pathology of Martin as his anger and frustration explode to a tragic end. The film masterly builds tension as the tragedy of the impending massacre looms large. Appealing to Martin’s bullied and friendless history, it offers an insightful understanding of his odd behaviour, while not giving any endorsement of his criminal actions, and it reveals the gravity of his mental illness, without dwelling on horrific events."
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2021, 09:25:04 AM »
« Edited: October 30, 2021, 10:40:57 AM by Meclazine »

I watched "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" today.

That was a really well made film with almost two stories in one.

At 2hrs and 45 minutes in length, I dare say it's not for everyone, but I like longer films if they are captivating, which this was.

Admittedly, I did watch it in two sittings, and it took a while to figure out what was going on. I think the main two characters were metaphors for a lot of people who had knowledge of the events.

Great cinematic range.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2021, 07:38:59 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2021, 08:38:08 PM by Meclazine »

Not a baaaaad film. Bordering on disturbing, worth watching late at night.

Excellent film-making.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2022, 06:28:03 AM »

This is a TV series, but made with movie-like production quality.

Let's just say, it's better than U-571 with Jon Bon Jovi.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2022, 08:53:00 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2022, 09:02:39 AM by Meclazine »

I watched Jo Jo Rabbit recently:

Really clever film-making suitable for a range of audiences. This is one that teenagers could learn a lot from as it is presented in an almost comedy format but has a very strong message.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2022, 09:00:28 AM »

The Tinder Swindler (2022)

For all the members under the age of 20 on the forum, you should watch this film.

And everytime someone wants to borrow money from you in the future, keep this film in the back of your mind before lending your dollars out to people.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2022, 01:16:50 AM »
« Edited: February 14, 2022, 01:20:30 AM by Meclazine »

The Last Thing Mary Saw (2021)

Not for the faint of heart.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2022, 02:27:17 AM »

Red Rocket (2022)

This just follows no script you have ever seen.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2022, 07:27:15 AM »

Very well produced. Interesting slant on the history of 20th century USA.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2022, 08:39:34 PM »

Expired (2022)

Really impressed.

Weekend Away (2022)

Suspenseful drama.

Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length