The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:30:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 36
Author Topic: The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread  (Read 30093 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: August 31, 2021, 09:57:36 AM »
« edited: August 31, 2021, 10:22:20 AM by DON FARBIZIO CORBERA »

I don't comment that much when my opinions align with the consensus, but 5 of my recent viewings were supposed classics, and I absolutely detested four of them. Only Stairway to Heaven (1946) was enjoyable (and quite beautiful given the concept and when it was shot), and even that feels overrated due to the forced and not very well-written third act, only written to appeal to the goals of the money raised to produce it.

The one I could see myself getting pushback on is Kiss Me Deadly (1955) as the people who post here are really likely to get into that Cold War era paranoia, but I found it to be one of the dullest noirs yet. I could maybe revisit it, but the characters are really not that interesting to me. I'm not usually a stickler for acting - the most irrelevant part of a film - but I think this suffered bigly from the lack of a big name commanding the screen.

But most disappointingly of all, the two 1950s so-called "romances" (An Affair to Remember and All That Heaven Allows) are borderline irredeemable, and I don't think I will revisit those ever again. I do not understand how these despicable characters were perceived as sympathetic in pop culture. These were clearly a relic of the time that did not age well, and I have to think people saw this as a fantastical indulgence to peek at an impossible dream different from 1950s norms. Even if people then found it okay, it's more confounding that people reviewing today still view these as models. The latter at least has one good scene, but I was not at all moved by any of the dialogue or inspired by her ultimate inevitable choice.

Lastly, Fox and His Friends (1975) had a genuinely interesting idea for a film, and much as it was likely to not be made for me, I was still totally dismayed by the execution. For a film made as a study of competing character motivations and built upon a foundation of pretty decent acting, it felt like there were a lot of holes (notably, but far from exclusively, the insurance piece) that were not well conveyed and felt like cheating and that made it somewhat difficult to follow. I know this is not supposed to be Fassbinder's best as a director (still fairly impressive as an actor!) but I just don't know if I will ever feel any positive vibes in response to his subject matter if I couldn't enjoy this one.

On top of that, I opted to try a second-tier Stanley Kramer, which was an obvious mistake but not exactly noteworthy.

Hopefully I start making some better picks soon, but I can definitely recommend avoiding these four.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #251 on: August 31, 2021, 03:33:52 PM »

Der Dritte Weltkrieg ("The Third World War") is a fictional alternate-history documentary film released in Germany in 1998 that theorizes about how the transition to democracy in the USSR goes horribly wrong in 1989 and leads to a full-scale nuclear war in April 1990 that wipes out humanity.

Audio is in German but there are official English subtitles.

There is an English dub available here:

THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #252 on: September 04, 2021, 03:48:06 PM »

The original Alien (1979) still holds up. A perfect example on how to pace a movie.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #253 on: September 04, 2021, 06:21:17 PM »

But most disappointingly of all, the two 1950s so-called "romances" (An Affair to Remember and All That Heaven Allows) are borderline irredeemable, and I don't think I will revisit those ever again. I do not understand how these despicable characters were perceived as sympathetic in pop culture. These were clearly a relic of the time that did not age well, and I have to think people saw this as a fantastical indulgence to peek at an impossible dream different from 1950s norms. Even if people then found it okay, it's more confounding that people reviewing today still view these as models. The latter at least has one good scene, but I was not at all moved by any of the dialogue or inspired by her ultimate inevitable choice.

I haven't seen either of these, but I have found that most romance films seem to be made by and for lovesick people that have no idea how healthy human relationships work. This has been true in my opinion for films both old and new, classic and obscure.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #254 on: September 05, 2021, 02:08:06 AM »

Last night was a Wes Anderson double feature of movies I hadn’t seen: Fantastic Mr Fox and Moonrise Kingdom.

I think that Anderson captured the zaniness of a Roald Dahl story quite well and I thought it was very enjoyable. The Beach Boys music was a bit jarring at first, but it kinda worked (see below **).

Moonrise Kingdom was a bit odd; it seemed uncanny at times. I’m not sure if the acting was stilted or if it was the writing of the two main child actors. I think that it does touch on something that isn’t really discussed that much in society - kids of those sorts of feelings sooner than many adults would like. The ending was nice though. Norton and Willis were the standouts here, I think. How many movies have Lucas Hedges and Frances McDormand been in together? I’m thinking at least 3 (Moonrise Kingdom, Lady Bird, and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri). Hedges just kinda bothers me, tbh. In the two movies I’ve seen him in (Moonrise Kingdom and Lady Bird), he doesn’t really play likable characters. Also, his face kinda bothers me.

I had heard Jojo Rabbit compared to Moonrise Kingdom (and called “Moonreich Kingdom”). Now having seen both, I don’t think that’s the case. There’s a very superficial link with the “scouting” troops, but if I were to compare Jojo Rabbit to a Wes Anderson movie, I would probably lean towards Grand Budapest Hotel. Perhaps it’s just the color palette of the titular hotel or the European wartime setting. ** Speaking of Jojo Rabbit as compared to Wes Anderson movies, it used more modern music than the setting would imply and that now makes me think of Fantastic Mr Fox. Mr Fox seemed to be set sometime mid-century, before The Beach Boys, and Jojo Rabbit was obviously a good 20-30 years before the Beatles and Bowie songs used in it, compared to Hank Williams in Moonrise Kingdom, which would’ve been contemporary, if not dated for the 1965 setting. All that being said, if you told me that Jojo Rabbit was a Wes Anderson movie and I didn’t know better, I would believe you.

~~~

Tonight was Sherlock Holmes (2009): a fun movie that I hadn’t seen in a while. Not really much to write home about.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #255 on: September 05, 2021, 04:01:49 PM »

I watched a Persian movie called Taste of Cherry, about a man driving around looking for someone to fulfill a certain task.... and that's all I shall reveal. I thought it was philosophical and beautifully filmed.

Watch it for yourself if you're interested:

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #256 on: September 06, 2021, 07:10:25 AM »

Acquaman, Spectacular Spiderman and Thor are the ones coming out that should be good, we know that Chris Hemsworth is leaving, Loki is  on Disney by himself and Chris is moving onto different things
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #257 on: September 06, 2021, 01:59:08 PM »

Der Dritte Weltkrieg ("The Third World War") is a fictional alternate-history documentary film released in Germany in 1998 that theorizes about how the transition to democracy in the USSR goes horribly wrong in 1989 and leads to a full-scale nuclear war in April 1990 that wipes out humanity.

Audio is in German but there are official English subtitles.

There is an English dub available here:

A master documentary and a must watch not only for every history nerd. I watched this some years ago and was really impressed. I didn't know there was also an English version.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #258 on: September 07, 2021, 08:39:12 AM »

I also am currently watching Battle of Britain (1969). The aerial sequences are absolutely spectacular for their time and still are today, the score is brilliant, and it is enjoyable as a “historical documentary” type of film, and the cast is indeed all star, but the scenes outside of the combat sequences are deathly boring- there are practically no characters in the movie, let alone the presence of any semblance of character development. I feel like this movie may have been what Dunkirk would’ve been like to watch at home.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #259 on: October 07, 2021, 06:24:08 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2021, 01:09:47 AM by Meclazine »

Nitram (2021)

58 people shot. 35 killed.

Normally with movies, I rarely let people know what to expect with spoliers, but with this one, it is worth researching the actual event before watching the movie:

Port Arthur Massacre

Prime Minister John Howard (Prime Minister)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2G0j3FWKuE

The greatest achievement in Australian politics within 8 weeks of coming to office was to ban semi-auto rifles and shotguns.

Carlene Bryant (Mother)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56JCVbaCqCM

This guy was a couple of years older than me when I lived in Tasmania, and some of my friends in my Chemistry class at University had him at their private school in year 10. They said he was off the deep end with some form of Autism - AD/HD going on.

Most likely HPD - Histrionic Personality Disorder.

https://www.theaureview.com/watch/film-review-nitram-is-a-chilling-infuriating-yet-respectful-drama-detailing-one-of-australias-most-horrific-events/

"The Port Arthur Massacre of 1996 was horrific.  Perpetrated by a violently disturbed young man who shot and killed 35 people at a Tasmanian tourist site, with a legally purchased semi-automatic rifle."

https://www.australiancatholics.com.au/article/nitram

"The film is a dramatic adaptation of tragic events. It is not a particularly violent or sensational film, and the movie never refers to the killer’s full name, as this review doesn’t. It is respectful of the dignity of the victims, and does not show the details of the massacre itself, but chooses instead to concentrate on the isolation, reclusiveness, and growing pathology of Martin as his anger and frustration explode to a tragic end. The film masterly builds tension as the tragedy of the impending massacre looms large. Appealing to Martin’s bullied and friendless history, it offers an insightful understanding of his odd behaviour, while not giving any endorsement of his criminal actions, and it reveals the gravity of his mental illness, without dwelling on horrific events."
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #260 on: October 07, 2021, 07:01:26 PM »

I've watched so many damn movies since last posting here. I promise not to go into them since there are so many (unless you really want me to for some reason).

Movies I saw for the first time:

Captain Marvel, Control, Judas and the Black Messiah, Promising Young Woman, The Father, The Host.

Movies I've re-watched:

Battlefield Earth, In Bruges, Nebraska, Nocturnal Animals, Sideways.

The only thing I will say is that for the three movies released last year that I saw I can say that 'Promising Young Woman' has become my favorite movie of 2020 which usurped 'The Father' for that position...which usurped 'Judas and the Black Messiah.'

It will probably be awhile before I watch as many movies as this because I've mostly been binging 'Schitt's Creek' for the first time to silence the litany of people who cannot stop recommending that I watch it.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #261 on: October 30, 2021, 09:25:04 AM »
« Edited: October 30, 2021, 10:40:57 AM by Meclazine »

I watched "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" today.

That was a really well made film with almost two stories in one.

At 2hrs and 45 minutes in length, I dare say it's not for everyone, but I like longer films if they are captivating, which this was.

Admittedly, I did watch it in two sittings, and it took a while to figure out what was going on. I think the main two characters were metaphors for a lot of people who had knowledge of the events.

Great cinematic range.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #262 on: October 30, 2021, 03:16:47 PM »

The last films I saw in the theater were Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, Dune, and No Time to Die.

In the past two weeks I had also a bit of a French movie marathon at home that included:

Amélie
The Intouchables
Blue Is the Warmest Colour
Irréversible
Les Misérables (the 2019 film unrelated to Hugo)
La Haine

LBJer
« Reply #263 on: November 12, 2021, 12:10:14 PM »

I finally saw No Time to Die last night.  Tbh, it made me feel sadder than any other movie I've ever seen. 
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #264 on: November 12, 2021, 12:22:48 PM »

I saw The French Dispatch last week.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #265 on: November 25, 2021, 07:38:59 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2021, 08:38:08 PM by Meclazine »

Not a baaaaad film. Bordering on disturbing, worth watching late at night.

Excellent film-making.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #266 on: November 26, 2021, 01:19:25 AM »

Kicked off the Christmas season with Diehard.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #267 on: November 26, 2021, 09:14:19 AM »

I am anxious to see Spiderman but alot of movies were cut especially MCU and Justice League due to Pandemic, Rock 8s dine with Fast and Furious, there won't be anymore if those for sure alot of movies are going to cable
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #268 on: January 26, 2022, 06:28:03 AM »

This is a TV series, but made with movie-like production quality.

Let's just say, it's better than U-571 with Jon Bon Jovi.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #269 on: January 28, 2022, 08:53:00 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2022, 09:02:39 AM by Meclazine »

I watched Jo Jo Rabbit recently:

Really clever film-making suitable for a range of audiences. This is one that teenagers could learn a lot from as it is presented in an almost comedy format but has a very strong message.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #270 on: February 01, 2022, 07:13:25 AM »

Anybody reading this: follow me on Letterboxd, I'll follow you back. We can see what each other are watching and what ratings are being given.

MY LETTERBOXD ACCOUNT
https://letterboxd.com/kingtchenka/

MY RANKING OF 2021 FILMS
https://letterboxd.com/kingtchenka/list/2021-films-ranked/
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #271 on: February 01, 2022, 07:55:32 AM »
« Edited: February 01, 2022, 08:05:12 AM by Middle-aged Europe »

I went to see Licorice Pizza on Sunday. I enjoyed it as kind of a nostalgic feel-good trip, although it probably wasn't PTA's best work. In some ways it also seemed oddly reminiscent of George Lucas' American Graffiti too - don't know whether this was an intentional hommage on PTA's part.

It was also the first time since they have changed the COVID rules for cinemas, apparently. Instead of creating the required minimum distance to the other consumers by leaving a couple of seats unsold (as it was the case in Germany since the beginning of the pandemic) you have now to wear a FFP2 mask at your place. Gives the cinemas the advantage that they can sell more tickets, although it makes the experience more uncomfortable for the customer. But that's capitalism for you, I guess.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #272 on: February 04, 2022, 09:00:28 AM »

The Tinder Swindler (2022)

For all the members under the age of 20 on the forum, you should watch this film.

And everytime someone wants to borrow money from you in the future, keep this film in the back of your mind before lending your dollars out to people.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #273 on: February 14, 2022, 01:16:50 AM »
« Edited: February 14, 2022, 01:20:30 AM by Meclazine »

The Last Thing Mary Saw (2021)

Not for the faint of heart.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #274 on: February 14, 2022, 02:27:17 AM »

Red Rocket (2022)

This just follows no script you have ever seen.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies