The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:27:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 36
Author Topic: The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread  (Read 30462 times)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: November 05, 2022, 09:18:03 PM »

Raymond and Ray

I really enjoyed this film. Funerals and death are not easy topics to make a film about, so extra bonus points to the producer and director for making this interesting.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #401 on: November 06, 2022, 03:14:11 AM »

Also, Robocop holds up.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #402 on: November 06, 2022, 11:00:38 AM »

I rewatched Full Metal Jacket this morning, and it holds up very well too. R. Lee Emery as Drill Sergeant Hartman is one of the best casting decisions of all time and Kubrick did an excellent job letting Emery write his own lines based on his own experience as a Drill Sergeant. I will say the Vietnam portion of the movie is nowhere as good as the Basic Training section.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #403 on: November 12, 2022, 07:10:52 AM »
« Edited: November 12, 2022, 07:17:25 AM by Meclazine »

Interesting film about a few US private hospitals. I actually watched the documentary first about the case with the actual characters involved in the film. Fascinating watch.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #404 on: November 12, 2022, 11:35:23 AM »

Interesting film about a few US private hospitals. I actually watched the documentary first about the case with the actual characters involved in the film. Fascinating watch.

My sister just watched this; is it any good?
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #405 on: November 12, 2022, 09:49:41 PM »

Now that the weekend has come and midterm madness is over, I am finally able to review the films I saw last week at the AFI Festival.

Living
A very good movie overall. Bill Nighy's performance was fantastic, and the movie had a lot of heart. Without going into spoilers, the movie dealt with a lot of the same themes as The Banshees of Inisherin albeit in a much less cynical manner. Great performances all around, a great score, and a well written script. Bill Nighy should certainly be in contention for Best Actor (albeit unlikely to win).

Score: 8.6/10

The Fablemans
I was quite skeptical going into this movie, and had a lot of doubts about whether it would even be good at all (Spielberg has not been on top of his game for the last several years). However, my skepticism was proven wrong. The film was good. However,  it does have its issues. The film is confused, and lacks cohesion (particularly in the second half), and could have benefitted from a much tighter edit. There were also far to many Oscar bait monologues that added nothing but time to an already over bloated film.

However, it was still good, and all but certain to come away Best Picture and Best Director at the least (not surprising given that half the voters in the Academy became inspired to make films by watching Spielberg's movies in their youths, and all the older Academy members are friends and colleagues of Spielberg, making his victory this year all but a certainty). Likewise, there was without doubt a certain party like atmosphere at the premiere (which was without doubt crammed full of Academy voters), and the last time I saw that kind of jubilant attitude at an AFI premiere was for Green Book, which of course went on to win Best Picture. So if I were to read the tea leaves of industry sentiment, the Oscars this year will be more of a coronation for Spielberg's life achievements rather than a genuine competition between the years best films.

John Williams is also surely slated to win Best Original Score with no real competition this year, his score for The Fabelmans is certainly his best score in years (and with now being 90 years old, he will almost certainly have a cake walk to the Oscar this year as a recognition of his life's accomplishments. He even had a bigger applause than Spielberg at the premiere, with basically the whole theater on its feet) so I think he is a clear shoe in this year.

Overall, a good, solid movie that unfortunately will be hyped up way beyond what it's worth.
Score: 7.9/10

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #406 on: November 14, 2022, 07:58:39 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2022, 08:04:20 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

I was absent from here during the run-up to the election, but before and during Halloween I went out of my way to watch a few horror movies (and one non-horror film) I had never seen before, all of which I liked except for one:

-Four Flies on Grey Velvet.
-The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad.
-The Bird with the Crystal Plumage.
-The Exorcist II: The Heretic (the one I disliked-just confusing nonsense).
-The Fly.
-The Omen.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #407 on: November 16, 2022, 08:00:56 AM »

Watched Blumhouse' Fantasy Island, and it's concept was ruined by decent actors giving bad performances and cringey writing.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #408 on: November 16, 2022, 06:59:12 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2022, 07:10:29 PM by Middle-aged Europe »

Aside from the overly obvious 80s hair and 80s clothing the story, the acting, the satire, and the action of this movie is still top notch and no RoboCop installment, including the 2014 remake, managed to come close.

(The terrible RoboCop 3 is actually a guilty pleasure of mine... they tried very hard to emulate the satirical style and tone of the first film, but went completely overboard with it, so that it seems like an unintentional parody. But at the end of the day it amuses me, and I prefer it over RoboCop 2 - where the humour is so bleak that it comes across as cynical and borderline misanthropic IMO, and it also lacks the iconic Basil Poledouris soundtrack.)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #409 on: November 23, 2022, 05:51:05 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2022, 09:31:18 PM by T'Chenka »

THE MATRIX RESURRECTIONS
directed by Lana Wachowski

As a piece of cinema, this is extremely disappointing and mediocre. Script problems, mediocre action, bad editing and visually it looks like a Netflix film / show (in the worst way). This movie shouldn't have been made.

Now, as a film, a piece of art with a message, this is actually VERY interesting to me. Warner Brothers decided that they were going to exercise their legal right to make a fourth Matrix film, with or without the blessing of the Wachowskis. They were told they could write it and direct it, but if they declined, it would still be made with different writers and directors. In the end, a Wachowski wrote and directed this.

So... without getting into plot spoilers or anything like that, this film is about how Warner Brothers forced a fourth Matrix film that wasn't necessary and wasn't wanted by the Wachowskis. You finish the movie and you think "why did they even make this? This film was a mistake." And... that's actually the whole point of the film and the intention of the writers and director. They were trying to make you feel that way and they succeeded in doing so. Kind of an interesting and unique art piece. Not a "good" movie, but excellent at accomplishing what it's trying to accomplish.

I would actually highly recommend this. Just don't expect a good film.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #410 on: November 23, 2022, 05:57:06 PM »

THE MATRIX RESURRECTIONS

As a piece of cinema, this is extremely disappointing and mediocre. Script problems, mediocre action, bad editing and visually it looks like a Netflix film / show (in the worst way). This movie shouldn't have been made.

Now, as a film, a piece of with a message, this is actually VERY interesting to me. Warner Brothers decided that they were going to exercise their legal right to make a fourth Matrix film, with or without the blessing of the Wachowskis. They were told they could write it and direct it, but if they declined, it would still be made with different writers and directors. In the end, a Wachowski wrote and directed this.

So... without getting into plot spoilers or anything like that, this film is about how Warner Brothers forced a fourth Matrix film that wasn't necessary and wasn't wanted by the Wachowskis. You finish the movie and you think "why did they even make this? This film was a mistake." And... that's actually the whole point of the film and the intention of the writers and director. They were trying to make you feel that way and they succeeded in doing so. Kind of an interesting and unique art piece. Not a "good" movie, but excellent at accomplishing what it's trying to accomplish.

I didn't know that about the film, and that's on brand for Warner "we hate creators" Brothers. New respect for the Wachowskis in making a hidden protest.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #411 on: November 24, 2022, 04:18:10 AM »

THE MATRIX RESURRECTIONS

Now, as a film, a piece of with a message, this is actually VERY interesting to me. Warner Brothers decided that they were going to exercise their legal right to make a fourth Matrix film, with or without the blessing of the Wachowskis. They were told they could write it and direct it, but if they declined, it would still be made with different writers and directors. In the end, a Wachowski wrote and directed this.

I didn't know that about the film, and that's on brand for Warner "we hate creators" Brothers. New respect for the Wachowskis in making a hidden protest.

I did more research when I got home from work tonight, and it seems like everything I told you is MOSTLY true, but in addition to that, Lana Wachowski came up with the idea for this story after her close friend and both parents all died within a short span of time. From my reading, it seems like the story is something she actually wanted to do, and not specifically designed to take the p1ss out of Warner Brothers.

So I guess, the movie is both a try and a fail to make a decent 4th Matrix film, AND a big "f__k you" to Warner Brothers. Much like The Room by Tommy Wiseau, the movie unintentionally became enjoyable for audiences when watched with an alternate strategy than "try to enjoy a good film".
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #412 on: November 24, 2022, 05:13:06 PM »

Been obsessed with Vietnam lately, so gave Apocalypse Now (Redux version) a rewatch. Still brilliant and one of my favorites, but whereas I usually regret the large amount of deleted content in films, I'm increasingly convinced Coppola was right to cut down the length for the "Final Cut."

Then went into Dien Bien Phu (1992), was pleasantly surprised. Far less pretentious than your usual French film, amazing cinematography, and a great use of multiple perspectives to tell the story of the battle. I particularly liked that it felt realistic in a way that I've only really experienced with some 1970 films.

Having said that, it is an uncompromising movie in terms of actually bothering to explain the context - best not to watch it without having some idea of what the situation was in Vietnam in 1954 -, has some unnecessary scenes, and Donald Pleasence (brilliant as usual) is sort of wasted. Still, it's great to have something a bit different to the average Vietnam War film. This is very much not (another) examination of what war does to teenage/young soldiers.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #413 on: November 24, 2022, 06:58:34 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2022, 07:01:38 PM by Super Size My Freedom Fries! »

I saw most of Ernest Saves Christmas yesterday.  It's underrated, it makes for a charming holiday classic.

I don't watch that many dramas anymore, i'd rather watch dopey comedies.  Like Airplane! lol

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #414 on: November 28, 2022, 08:38:51 AM »

Been obsessed with Vietnam lately, so gave Apocalypse Now (Redux version) a rewatch. Still brilliant and one of my favorites.....

Just a weird take on the Vietnam War, but so incredibly successful. Amazing storyline.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #415 on: November 28, 2022, 01:58:42 PM »

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022)

Very good film, and the first 20 or 30 minutes will probably be particularly interesting to Atlas users (won't elaborate, just watch it). I saw it in theaters last night, but it debuts on Netflix on December 23rd. For a movie over 2 hours long, it absolutely flew by.

8.5 (almost 8.0) / 10
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #416 on: November 28, 2022, 06:51:26 PM »

Very good film, and the first 20 or 30 minutes will probably be particularly interesting to Atlas users (won't elaborate, just watch it). I saw it in theaters last night, but it debuts on Netflix on December 23rd. For a movie over 2 hours long, it absolutely flew by.

8.5 (almost 8.0) / 10

This might be the only movie left this year that I'm anticipating.

In spite of 'The Last Jedi' leaving a very bad taste in my mouth I was surprised at how much I enjoyed 'Knives Out.' My only real issue with the movie was that I found the mystery a bit too easy to figure out on its surface, so I hope this one at least has more twists and turns to it.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #417 on: November 29, 2022, 05:10:11 AM »

8.5 (almost 8.0) / 10

In spite of 'The Last Jedi' leaving a very bad taste in my mouth I was surprised at how much I enjoyed 'Knives Out.' My only real issue with the movie was that I found the mystery a bit too easy to figure out on its surface, so I hope this one at least has more twists and turns to it.

There are lots of twists and turns and the script keeps you guessing. In this specific regard, it's better than the first one for sure.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #418 on: November 29, 2022, 05:13:13 AM »

Bones And All (2022)
director Luca Guadagnino

7.5 (almost 8.0) / 10

A unique film, perhaps some mix of Call Me By Your Name, Twilight and Nomadland. A very tender and emotional film about young cannibals. I kept hearing this was really good but I wasn't buying into the hype, but in the end it sold me. The first half of the movie is fairly good, but it lays a foundation for the second half which builds on the first half and elevates it to another level. Highly recommended if you can enjoy a slow-pace, artistic genre blend. Directing and acting are great too.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #419 on: November 29, 2022, 06:41:02 PM »

8.5 (almost 8.0) / 10

There are lots of twists and turns and the script keeps you guessing. In this specific regard, it's better than the first one for sure.

Good to hear, I'm very excited to see it.

Actually, you reminded me of another Agatha Christie inspired film I saw (is there some kind of renaissance for this type of film going on recently?): 'See How They Run.'

In all honesty, I don't have much to say about it. It was perfectly fine and had a very hyper-meta comedic style to it while also being very blatantly inspired by Wes Anderson's style, but it was a bit on the forgettable side as far as whodunnits go. Not bad at all, and if you like these sorts of movies I still recommend it, but something about it just didn't stick with me after I was done watching it.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #420 on: November 29, 2022, 08:40:36 PM »

I saw "The Fabelmans" by Steven Spielberg.  Should be an Oscar nominee for Picture and Michelle Williams for Actress.  The boy that played the teenage Sam (the lead role) was also excellent.  Paul Dano (from Little Miss Sunshine) looks more like an older brother, just can't see him as an old man.  Overall it was a charming film.  The Academy voters seem to love anything about making movies or Hollywood, so I can imagine this getting a lot of buzz at the Oscars.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #421 on: November 30, 2022, 07:31:28 AM »

The Missing (2003) - 5.5 / 10
Tears Of The Sun (2003) - 6.0 / 10
Limbo (2020) - 6.5 (almost 6.0) / 10
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #422 on: November 30, 2022, 02:43:36 PM »

8.5 (almost 8.0) / 10

I did not dislike The Last Jedi as much as everyone else. I maintain that the film is great if you cut out the weird pace-destroying casino part. Plus, the guy directed the best Breaking Bad episodes.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #423 on: November 30, 2022, 05:47:32 PM »

Groundhog Day is a deep and spiritual film. I honestly think it might be perfect.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #424 on: December 01, 2022, 07:02:30 PM »

8.5 (almost 8.0) / 10

I did not dislike The Last Jedi as much as everyone else. I maintain that the film is great if you cut out the weird pace-destroying casino part. Plus, the guy directed the best Breaking Bad episodes.

I didn't particular like the Luke-Rey-Kylo Ren stuff from it, but they were still the best parts of the movie, especially compared to the bad comedy attempts and absolutely worthless other two-thirds of the movie which was nothing but filler. Those things are what really made me hate the movie.

But I will admit that it's better than 'The Rise of Skywalker.' If that movie was worthwhile for anything it was for uniting fans and critics of 'The Last Jedi' against it.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies