The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:11:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 36
Author Topic: The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread  (Read 30528 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: July 01, 2022, 06:06:36 PM »
« edited: July 02, 2022, 06:23:59 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

Just saw Elvis.

Tom Hanks is probably the early frontrunner for either bestactor or best supporting actor, Baz Luhrmann could easily win best director, and the movie's an early favorite for best picture at the Academy Awards in my opinion.

My only complaint was it was too long. It was two hours forty minutes. If it had been trimmed back to around two hours to two hours ten minutes, it would be perfect.

It's interesting that you say that because I've heard some call Hanks' performance a "career worst." Hanks is a very talented man and deserves his reputation as one of the world's most charming people but, with the exception of 'The Green Mile,' doing accents has never been his thing. He played Ben Bradlee in 'The Post' and I found that his Boston accent was very distracting. Then again, accents and dialects are really big pet peeves of mine in movies when done inconsistently or poorly.

Anyway, in my six month hiatus from the forum (which I will probably renew again soon) I have, unsurprisingly watched a metric f***ton of movies I have seen for the first time. Even more than usual since I now have Disney Plus and HBO Max, the latter of which is kind of a gold-mine for old classic movies from earlier in the 20th century that don't really get played much on television anymore. I also had more time when I was stuck at home more than usual to take care of my ailing grandmother in the earlier part of the year. I did manage to see 'Spider-Man: No Way Home' and 'The Batman' in theaters though. I tend to ramble with my thoughts on movies, and I really don't want to do that this time with how many I have recently watched. And I might even end up forgetting a few.

But without further ado, here's the list of movies:

The Seventh Seal, Bicycle Thieves, A Streetcar Named Desire, The Great Escape, Ben-Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, North by Northwest, Enemy Mine, The French Dispatch; Dear, Evan Hansen; Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Eternals, Shang-Chi, Black Widow, Turning Red, Encanto, Luca, Soul, Onward, Toy Story, 48 Hours, Nightmare Alley, Jackass 4.5, The Suicide Squad; Woodstock '99: Peace, Love, and Rage; Dune, Class-Action Park, Hamilton, Lamb, The Green Knight, West Side Story, Malignant, Venom: Let There Be Carnage, The Maltese Falcon, Blind Fury, On the Waterfront.

And those were just the mainstream movies! I also found that Youtube really scratches my itch when it comes to a place with free full versions of bad B-movies. These include:

Roar, Twisted Pair, After Last Season (the new worst movie I have ever seen. Nothing can be worse), Robot in the Family, Dinosaur Adventure (of "Yee" fame), Undefeatable, ROTOR, Stone Cold, Ben and Arthur.

And then for TV series, a much less overwhelming list:
The Mandalorian (season two), The Book of Boba Fett, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Barry (season 3), Survivor 42, The Beatles: Get Back.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #326 on: July 03, 2022, 11:43:51 PM »

Can't wait til Thor Love and Thunder comes out next Tuesday
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #327 on: July 04, 2022, 01:08:57 AM »

You really need to see Everything Everywhere All At Once sir. I need an Olawakandi EEAAO spoiler review. Amazing film. It's about Simi Valley immigrants.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #328 on: July 07, 2022, 06:59:04 PM »

I saw the entirety of the Chi's Sweet Home anime today (the 104 episodes that aired from 2008-2009).
It was very adorable.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #329 on: July 11, 2022, 10:57:30 PM »

I saw the entirety of the Chi's Sweet Home anime today (the 104 episodes that aired from 2008-2009).
It was very adorable.
Bruh you watched 104 episodes today? Share your time travel tech dude. Don't hoard it.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #330 on: July 11, 2022, 10:59:31 PM »

Worst MCU film yet... but still "okay". None of them have been legitimately bad (yet).
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #331 on: July 12, 2022, 04:45:03 PM »

Worst MCU film yet... but still "okay". None of them have been legitimately bad (yet).

I am actually very eager to see it because I was not as enchanted as so many others are with 'Ragnarok.' I thought it was average at best (though still the best Thor film). So with that in mind I am not sure if I will be as meh on 'Love and Thunder' as much as most others who found it disappointing to its predecessor, or if I will like it more because I have no expectations.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #332 on: July 12, 2022, 05:22:40 PM »

It was very adorable.
Bruh you watched 104 episodes today? Share your time travel tech dude. Don't hoard it.
Each episode was only 2 minutes long. That computes to 208 minutes, easily manageable on a day when you can freely plan your time.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #333 on: July 12, 2022, 08:22:30 PM »

Watched Thor Love and Thunder Jane isn't dead she is in Heaven and Hercules is going after Thor
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #334 on: July 13, 2022, 11:24:58 AM »

Finally watched EEAAO. It was decent, not amazing. The editing and production were incredible, and they accomplished a ton for the budget they had. The humor was Reddit-tier "lolz so random" with a dash of gratuity and was very hit or miss. The hot dog finger universe looked like an SNL skit. The rock scene was cute but very didactic/on-the-nose. They spent a lot of time explaining the mechanics of verse jumping but somehow didn't properly set up the stakes in some key scenes (for example, the cringey "everything bagel" is supposed to like a black hole, but somehow you can enter and then leave again?). Further, I didn't understand how verse jumping was solely about inhabiting other versions of yourself and acquiring their skills/memories, but some characters could somehow manifest objects across universes such as the earpieces and various weapons of Jobu's. I liked Waymond by far the most of any of the characters, and his final line in the kung fu universe was the best moment of the film.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #335 on: July 14, 2022, 07:03:16 AM »

Got the chance to view 9-11 Minute by Minute

https://vimeo.com/545856361

A harrowing documentary of the events of September 11 2001.

Difficult to watch.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #336 on: July 16, 2022, 07:01:07 AM »

Thor was good there aren't anymore MCU movies until the fall except for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle

I am a little disappointed, the made He Man Revolution and they were talking about Thundercats they haven't made anymore they said by 2020 they would make them, this would have been the perfect time to release them both they made 80s Transformers why not He Man now there will be a giant lul between movies until Winter
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #337 on: July 18, 2022, 12:29:43 AM »

Thor was good there aren't anymore MCU movies until the fall except for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle

This multiverse crossover s__t is getting wild.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #338 on: July 18, 2022, 03:54:57 AM »

From Spooky Pictures comes Watcher (2022)

For late Saturday night, turn off the lights.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #339 on: July 20, 2022, 07:08:05 PM »

I've mostly been watching tons of B-movies lately including the infamous, 'Dangerous Men,' which I won't really get into. But I have also watched one of the most unique movies I've seen in awhile too: 'Climax.'

I had been on the fence about watching 'Climax' for a few years, but I finally did after my sister saw it and dared me to watch it (and to get back at her I'm going to make her watch 'The Killing of a Sacred Deer'). I was always hesitant due to what I've heard about it being virtually plotless and filled with disturbing, f***ed up content. Both of those things are true to an extent, but I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Well, 'enjoyment' isn't quite the best word. But it certainly was an experience. I think I might have been expecting worse in terms of the body count or violence, so perhaps I was pleasantly surprised by it from tempering my expectations. Or maybe I'm just desensitized.

It's basically what you get if you made a sleazy nihilistic concoction of a 'Step Up' movie, a John Waters film, 'The Thing,' and added a splash of existentialist philosophy that only the French can provide. If you don't know what the movie is about it involves a French dance troupe who, while partying, find out that their drinks have been drugged with LSD and have to deal with it as things escalate to increasingly nightmarish levels.

It is not for the faint of heart but if you want to watch a film with very unique camera usage (including multiple one-take scenes, one that lasts almost 45 minutes-though some hidden cuts can be found), great choreography and dancing by the dancers (all but two of whom have never acted before, and improvised almost everything), and even interesting credits then maybe you can get past the violated taboos and transgressive content in this film. It fits in with a theme of many French horror films I've seen where you're watching attractive people do very unattractive things and will make you want to take a shower.

So yeah, I didn't mind this experience, even as I will probably never watch it again...actually, that's not true. I went back and watched the first half hour of the film again which contains a lot of fun details that foreshadow future events in the film upon rewatch. And I even watched the two big dancing scenes again. I don't usually enjoy watching people dance but I did here. These dancers, especially the contortionists, are all very talented individuals. But I think only seeing the drug-induced orgy of chaos and hysteria once was enough for me.

It's another movie that's not for everyone, but is kind of for me.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #340 on: July 24, 2022, 04:53:52 AM »

They released the end of Phase 4, 5 of MCU which will end on July 26 the , 2024 and no Spiderman or Thor movies in the works
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #341 on: July 24, 2022, 05:53:26 PM »

They released the end of Phase 4, 5 of MCU which will end on July 26 the , 2024 and no Spiderman or Thor movies in the works
I think they only announced some of the 2025 films and none of the 2026 films. Thor and X-Men/mutants could be 2025.

Also, Sony is the one who announces Spider-Man, not Marvel. There are 4 MCU films in 2023 but only 3 in 2024... the 4th is probably Spider-Man.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #342 on: July 24, 2022, 05:56:23 PM »

I think they only announced some of the 2025 films and none of the 2026 films. Thor and X-Men/mutants could be 2025.

Also, Sony is the one who announces Spider-Man, not Marvel. There are 4 MCU films in 2023 but only 3 in 2024... the 4th is probably Spider-Man.

That's a BIG assumption, given it assumes that Tom Holland would be returning as Peter Parker.

Otherwise, Sony has to recast the part, or do something else with the character (like introduce Miles Morales).
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #343 on: July 24, 2022, 06:18:55 PM »

That's a BIG assumption, given it assumes that Tom Holland would be returning as Peter Parker.

Otherwise, Sony has to recast the part, or do something else with the character (like introduce Miles Morales).

I expect Holland to come back for at least one more film and pass the torch to a Morales that he is mentoring. But you never know with Sony and how poor their decision making is when it comes to exploiting Spider-Man as a property.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #344 on: July 24, 2022, 09:49:32 PM »

This is a thread for the enjoyment of cinema. Please discuss superheroes elsewhere.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #345 on: July 25, 2022, 01:38:36 AM »

Hemsworth I think is done playing Thor but you never know what he has in store

They are gonna make a new Avengers movie and it seems like they are gonna be without Thor and Spiderman, MCU already said that don't expect the same characters in the New Avengers movie as in Phase III but you never know because Robert Downey Jr was close to Thor, Spider man and Chris Evans and he was killed off
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #346 on: July 25, 2022, 01:50:49 AM »
« Edited: July 25, 2022, 02:46:03 PM by Jobu Tupaki »

Nope
Jordan Peele

DON'T WATCH THE FINAL TRAILER, just the first one.

This was very good (not amazing), well directed and Kaluuya gives a very good performance. The movie is a bit flawed and slightly pretentious, but it's a fresh and fairly original film with a lot of great aspects to it. People are calling it a "Spielberg -esque spectacle" and I would mostly agree. Slightly slower and less pulse-racing, but so glad we have films like this being made. Also, the movie wasn't what I expected, in a good way. If you don't know much about the film, keep it that way until you see it. The first trailer is safe to watch though.

Low-ish 4.0 stars (but flirted with high-end 3.5 stars) out of 5.
7.0 (almost 7.5) / 10
( 3.5 stars and very close to 4.0 stars )

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #347 on: July 25, 2022, 07:59:59 AM »

Probably one more grand finale for Hemsworth in Thor with Hercules for the Final Avengers movie and Spiderman, Thor is on Avengers Secret Mission that's why on You tube he was coy about being Thor again along with the Fantastic four but it will be off not seeing Chris Evans as Torch the last Torch sux in the last Fantastic four
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #348 on: July 29, 2022, 11:54:29 PM »

I watched Momotaro: Umi no Shinpei (桃太郎: 海の神兵) two days ago. It's the first full-length anime film ever.
Fascinating window into how the government sought to inculcate militarism in the minds of children.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #349 on: July 30, 2022, 11:58:45 AM »

Nope was really good.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies