The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:24:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 36
Author Topic: The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread  (Read 30349 times)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: March 24, 2022, 03:58:52 PM »
« edited: March 24, 2022, 04:15:43 PM by Laki »

So far seen in march, ranked from good to bad:

1. Under The Silver Lake - 8
2. All is Lost
3. Come and See
4. Lola and the Sea - 7
5. The Ritual
6. Flower
7. Green Book
8. Darkest Hour
9. Wonder
10. Wind River

11. Against The Ice - 6
12. You Were Never Really Here
13. Sleep Has Her House
14. First Reformed
15. The Italian Job (2003)
16. 8 Mile - 5
17. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
18. Microhabitat - 4

Seen a lot of films from 2017.

For February

1. Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse - 9
2. Eyes without a Face - 8
3. 10 Things I Hate About You
4. Hana and Alice
5. Belladonna of Sadness
6. Idiocracy - 7
7. The Hate U Give
8. All about Lily Chou-Chou - 6
9. Jennifer's Body
10. Edward Scissorhands
11. Funeral Parade of Roses - 4

And january

1. Annihilation - 10
2. Come True - 9
3. The Hateful Eight
4. Pi - 8
5. The Shape of Water
6. Ride or Die
7. Django Unchained
8. Kill Bill vol. 1
9. Kill Bill vol. 2
10. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood... - 7
11. Gladiator
12. Arrietty
13. The Cat Returns
14. April Story
15. Stalker - 6
16. Encanto
17. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - 3
18. The Hunger Games - 2
19. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part I
20. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part II

2 rewatches: Kill Bill vol. 1 and Hunger Games (had to complete their franchises).
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #301 on: March 24, 2022, 04:14:01 PM »

Anyone seen this movie? I love Emma Roberts & Awkwafina so it was an instant watch for me. It's not groundbreaking by any means, but I really enjoyed the aesthetic of the film overall which reminded me a great deal of the Queen's Palace in Alice in Wonderland. Overall, I'd describe it as like 'Stepford Wives' but on crack with a super campy vibe. Well worth a watch even if you do think it's silly in the end.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #302 on: April 04, 2022, 02:55:40 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2022, 03:06:22 PM by President Johnson »

Anyone watched the new black comedy film Don't look up with Leonardo DiCaprio?

I had high expectations, but was disappointed. While the premise of the movie is valid and fits well in our time, I found everything way too extragged and quite a bit silly. And is it just me who was reminded of Sarah Palin by the president Meryl Streep played? That figure was really dumb. If she at least had Trump's entertainment factor.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #303 on: April 04, 2022, 03:10:22 PM »

Anyone watched the new black comedy film Don't look up with Leonardo DiCaprio?

I had high expectations, but was disappointed. While the premise of the movie is valid and fits well in our time, I wound everything way too extragged and quite a bit silly. And is it just me who was reminded of Sarah Palin by the president Meryl Streep played? That figure was really dumb. If she at least had Trump's entertainment factor.
The concept of the movie is great, as is most of the acting and most of the film-making. Unfortunately, in my opinion only the first act is legitimately well written and then the movie kind of goes more and more off the rails from there (in terms of the script).
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #304 on: April 05, 2022, 09:26:14 PM »

Everything Everywhere All at Once is getting a lot of hype right now... and I have to say it's well-deserved. It's one of the most unique movies I've seen in a while. Black comedy sci-fi if you're into that kind of thing. Don't wanna give too much away.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #305 on: April 05, 2022, 11:22:25 PM »

Everything Everywhere All at Once is getting a lot of hype right now... and I have to say it's well-deserved. It's one of the most unique movies I've seen in a while. Black comedy sci-fi if you're into that kind of thing. Don't wanna give too much away.
Going to see it in the next 5 or 6 days, and yeah kind of avoiding too much info before I see it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #306 on: April 06, 2022, 09:54:50 AM »

It's nice the movies are coming out it's 7.00 Tuesdays but the concession stand prices are ridiculous 6.00 Hot dogs and 6.00 Halloween candy that you can buy elsewhere for 2.00 I don't eat popcorn it gets stuck in my teeth, but Strange, Thor and Blk ADAM are gonna be hits unlike Sonic and MORBIUS
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #307 on: April 06, 2022, 12:14:17 PM »

It's nice the movies are coming out it's 7.00 Tuesdays but the concession stand prices are ridiculous 6.00 Hot dogs and 6.00 Halloween candy that you can buy elsewhere for 2.00 I don't eat popcorn it gets stuck in my teeth, but Strange, Thor and Blk ADAM are gonna be hits unlike Sonic and MORBIUS
Movie theater food and drink prices are capitalism and to dislike them makes you a commie sympathizer.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #308 on: April 06, 2022, 01:56:05 PM »

The last movie I saw was Belfast. Definitely enjoyed it. Prior to that was The Batman which was great but probably should've been a bit shorter.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #309 on: April 06, 2022, 05:58:43 PM »

I recently rewatched Knives Out, The Man Who Wasn't There, and Eyes Wide Shut.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #310 on: April 07, 2022, 05:29:57 AM »

As I previously stated the reason why MORBIUS and Sonic aren't gonna get big opening days Strange is opening on May 6th and then Thor on Fourth many movie goers in the age of a Pandemic are gonna wait for those movies to come out to see the other ones and if you miss any of them you can watch on HBO Max but movies are in the shows at least a mnth I just saw Batman last week
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #311 on: April 07, 2022, 09:04:53 AM »

I recently rewatched Knives Out, The Man Who Wasn't There, and Eyes Wide Shut.

Knives Out was a very pleasant surprise, and one of the funnier movies of the past few years.

Eyes Wide Shut is fantastic. I love Kubrick films.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #312 on: April 11, 2022, 01:45:49 AM »

Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022)

This movie is in theaters right now and it's REALLY unique and VERY good. It's one of those movies that is breaking the mold and NOT the same-old same-old Hollywood constantly churns out. I STRONGLY urge people to go out and see this in theaters and financially support it. Don't watch a trailer, it's one of those movies that's better if you know almost nothing about it beforehand.

The reviews and hype and INSANE right now on IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, Letterboxd, and though I have to say that it didn't deliver on just how good people are saying it is, it was still really really good and a breath of fresh air to see something different. The directors of this previously did Swiss Army Man, if you want an idea of how unique this might be before you go to see it.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #313 on: April 11, 2022, 04:18:28 AM »

This movie is in theaters right now and it's REALLY unique and VERY good. It's one of those movies that is breaking the mold and NOT the same-old same-old Hollywood constantly churns out. I STRONGLY urge people to go out and see this in theaters and financially support it. Don't watch a trailer, it's one of those movies that's better if you know almost nothing about it beforehand.

The reviews and hype and INSANE right now on IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, Letterboxd, and though I have to say that it didn't deliver on just how good people are saying it is, it was still really really good and a breath of fresh air to see something different. The directors of this previously did Swiss Army Man, if you want an idea of how unique this might be before you go to see it.

I'm anxious to see it, but since it is not a big studio production but an independent film it was not concurrently released here in Germany. Will have to wait till April 28.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #314 on: April 11, 2022, 05:51:09 AM »

I'm anxious to see it, but since it is not a big studio production but an independent film it was not concurrently released here in Germany. Will have to wait till April 28.
Make sure you see it when it comes out, and between now and then, don't read anything about it or watch any trailers. If you've already done some of that, don't read more / watch more. It's really worth a watch and will definitely become a cult classic.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #315 on: April 20, 2022, 04:58:12 AM »

I finally got around to making this list. I plan to update it semi-regularly.

Best 100 Films I've Ever Seen
https://letterboxd.com/kingtchenka/list/ranked-best-100-films-ive-seen/

There are a few films like One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Goodfellas that I haven't seen in 15 or 20 years, so I don't consider them as movies I've seen in the proper sense. I'll need to re-watch those at some point.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #316 on: April 20, 2022, 05:12:54 AM »

I saw Sonic The Hedgehog 2 last week.

It's an excellent movie, and it managed to incorporate both Tails and Knuckles very well, while providing lots of fanservice for hardcore Sonic fans.

It's really a shame Jim Carrey's retiring, because Robotnik's been a delight in both Sonic movies and I think not having him is the only thing keeping a Sonic the Hedgehog 3 from happening, as the box office numbers are up from this point last movie.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #317 on: May 19, 2022, 07:29:34 AM »
« Edited: May 19, 2022, 07:45:05 AM by Meclazine »

Ted K (2021)

Very impressive film.

You could watch the TV series "Unabomber" first which details the FBI agent who researched the literary style of his manifesto.

The TV series is 99% told from the perspective of the FBI.

This movie is told from the point of view of the actual autistic psychopath in action.

The movie was based on 25,000 pages of diary notes found in his cabin.

The scary part is that some parts of his lifestyle were quite admirable.

He just held a grudge against technological advancement and hunted people down via mail. And hunt them down he did.

MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #318 on: May 20, 2022, 06:09:48 AM »

The only movie I've recently seen in theatres is Doctor Strange 2: In the Multiverse of Madness. I've seen it twice and I want to go watch it at least a third time before it leaves the theatres. But I don't have much to say about it, other than the fact that I can do without the Bruce Campbell cameo.

A more noteworthy movie I've been watching several times appears only on Netflix: the remake of The Boys in the Band. I can still remember that the first time I watched the original (made in 1970) was about 38 years ago. I also bought a book with a copy of the entire script for the play shortly after I watched the original movie. The play was so outstandingly well-written and the original cast for the 1970 movie were so excellent in performing their roles, that I'm very sure that it deserved the 3.5 stars that Leonard Maltin gave it in his book of movie reviews. This remake, however, is not as good as the original (isn't that always the way it is with remakes?), and so probably should get no more than 3 stars. Two of my major gripes with the remake is that: 1) most of the cast in this remake do not perform their roles as well as the original cast; and 2) they left out several lines of dialogue that were, IMO, crucial to the plot and to character development. In the new movie, the three most famous actors are Jim Parsons, Zachary Quinto, and Matt Bomer, but I don't think any of the three of them performed as well as the original cast members. Actor Tuc Watkins is much too old for the role of Hank (Watkins is about 20 years older, IRL, than Hank is supposed to be), and actor Charlie Carver is nowhere near as good-looking as the role calls for. The emotional climax of the story, when the character Michael has an anxiety attack near the end, has so many lines of dialogue that were omitted, and Parson's performance is so much more subdued than Kenneth Nelson's performance in the original, that the scene is simply not as effective of an ending as in the original play and in the original movie.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #319 on: May 28, 2022, 08:46:48 AM »

Men
directed by Alex Garland
starring Jessie Buckley

First thing's first: this is a movie with big spoilers and a movie that's better if you don't know too much before you see it. I DO recommend the teaser trailer (above), but I don't recommend the full trailer. It's an A24 art-horror film from the director of Ex Machina and Annihilation (both HIGHLY recommended).

This movie is... incredibly ambitious. This is film is VERY divisive... some love it, but the two most common opinions are "it misses the mark but overall it's still good" and "this film is dogs__t". There are two iconic scenes here, and you're gonna see something you've never seen in a film before. Go see this movie... regardless of how you end up feeling about the film, you're never going to forget it. Enjoy this unique experience (preferably on magic mushrooms or stoned).

PERSONALLY, I think it's a flawed film with some great parts and overall a fairly good film. 7/10 rating.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #320 on: June 05, 2022, 03:56:26 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2022, 04:26:08 PM by Clarko95 📚💰📈 »

Perhaps a controversial opinion but I watched Cabaret (1972) and I absolutely abhored it.

Such a boring f-ing film. The pacing is dreadful. I really dislike these stories about privileged out of touch foreigner treating another country as a playground, and it especially offended me because I hate how people treat Berlin that way and also this was the time of the Depression and the rise of the Nazis. Yet here we have some ditzy American girl and prissy rich English boy doing exactly that and are untouchable due to their foreign status. It echoed my similar disdain for the main characters of The Great Gatsby.

There were some good moments like the beer garden scene, and some of the songs were good, but otherwise I was not very impressed. Also reading about Isherwood's background makes me wish he took the place of some poor local who was sent to a concentration camp instead, because Isherwood was a pedophile.

If you want a good series about what life was like during the downfall of the Weimar Republic, I thought Babylon Berlin was far better in showing the contrasts between the struggling lower classes and the salacious endeavors of the well-to-do. There are very few films that I have watched and felt disgusted by and that I want my time back, and Cabaret was one of them.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #321 on: June 05, 2022, 04:42:26 PM »

No spoilers or opinions on this one:

The Northman (2022)

Written, Directed and Produced by Robert Eggers who wrote and directed The Witch (2015) and The Lighthouse (2019).
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #322 on: June 05, 2022, 06:32:38 PM »

No spoilers or opinions on this one:

The Northman (2022)

Written, Directed and Produced by Robert Eggers who wrote and directed The Witch (2015) and The Lighthouse (2019).
Copy-paste review of mine:
(all of my reviews are non-spoiler unless CLEARLY indicated)

The Northman
director Robert Eggers
Alexander Skarsgård, Anya Taylor-Joy,
Claes Bang, Nicole Kidman, Ethan Hawke

7.5 (almost 7.0) / 10
A beautiful piece of cinema, this film is incredibly crafted and shot. Beautiful stuff. The performances are most very good as well, although none blew me away and I feel like Kidman was a weak link.

This movie gets better as it goes... all my problems with the film seem to shrink somewhat as the film progresses. What are my problems? Well, the emotional journey feels choppy, the way these scenes are shown together. Sometimes I don't feel a "flow" to the story progression. Another issue is the editing between scenes (not shots, scenes) and the dialogue. There's too much explaining to the audience through dialogue here. Show me, don't tell me.

I'm a fan of Skarsgård and Taylor-Joy, and it's good to see them deliver good performances in good films. More success is coming for them.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #323 on: June 30, 2022, 08:07:26 PM »

Just saw Elvis.

Tom Hanks is probably the early frontrunner for either bestactor or best supporting actor, Baz Luhrmann could easily win best director, and the movie's an early favorite for best picture at the Academy Awards in my opinion.

My only complaint was it was too long. It was two hours forty minutes. If it had been trimmed back to around two hours to two hours ten minutes, it would be perfect.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #324 on: July 01, 2022, 03:27:19 PM »

Tom Hanks is probably the early frontrunner for either bestactor or best supporting actor, Baz Luhrmann could easily win best director, and the movie's an early favorite for best picture at the Academy Awards in my opinion.

LOL

It won't be nominated for Director. It may get into Picture but I lean towards no. Hanks is maybe a possibility for a nomination but not to win the award.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies