The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:33:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 36
Author Topic: The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread  (Read 30660 times)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: February 17, 2022, 06:41:47 AM »

I just picked up Spencer, King Richard and Eternals on blu-ray, on sale. I saw them all in theaters but looking forward to re-watching them sometime this year.

Spencer is extremely good IMO (but not for everybody). King Richard is, I would say, better than "good" but not quite "great". Eternals is "okay / good", kind of divisive, I learn towards "good".
Would recommend them all, but they're all aimed at slightly different audiences than each other: a popcorn Marvel film, a well made well acted drama and extremely well made artsy-fartsy / "kino" drama.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #276 on: February 28, 2022, 07:27:15 AM »

Very well produced. Interesting slant on the history of 20th century USA.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #277 on: February 28, 2022, 07:35:01 AM »

Very well produced. Interesting slant on the history of 20th century USA.
(Obviously no spoilers, posting spoilers is giga-cringe)

I found this movie to be very well made and had a lot of good aspects to it, but fundamentally flawed. There's just something about it that doesn't "work". Can't really explain it in words. But it's so good in other ways that I still find it overall to be an "above average" film.

Also, for those into film awards, I was one of the only people in my Oscars discord to say in Jan/Feb that Nightmare Alley was "mostly dead in terms of getting into Best Picture but not 100% completely dead"... which was replied to with laughter and derision. In the end, I was the only one who was right and they had to eat crow.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #278 on: March 01, 2022, 08:20:30 AM »

Finishing up "Spencer", my second time watching it. What a great movie. It's definitely more up the alley of people that are into directing, acting, cinematography, production design, costumes, musical score, and movies that try to create a vibe and do their own thing instead of trying to entertain every possible type of audience member, including those white short attention spans.

I'll say 4.5 / 5 stars, but close to 4.0 stars. The script is good, but if I had to point to things in the movie that would be weaker than other aspects, I would say script (and pacing). There's just a lot to like here... for me personally, the highlights are directing, cinematography, acting and the musical score.

There is also a bizarre little thing about this movie that I like but also am greatly puzzled by...
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

Spencer

Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #279 on: March 01, 2022, 02:37:14 PM »

The Greatest Films of All Time: an Alphabetical, Fully Objective, and Totally Non-Opinionated List by Me featuring "Perfect" Selections in Bold Text

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #280 on: March 01, 2022, 08:26:34 PM »

The Greatest Films of All Time: an Alphabetical, Fully Objective, and Totally Non-Opinionated List by Me featuring "Perfect" Selections in Bold Text

List doesn't include Parasite? Sad...
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #281 on: March 07, 2022, 10:35:38 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2022, 12:32:48 PM by Psaki Simp T'Chenka »

Drive My Car (2021, Japanese)
[ 8.5 / 10] almost 8.5
This was very good film. Great directing. Kind of artsy and kind of ambiguous. I had some issues with it that made me lower my score, but overall it's VERY good. Not a popcorn flick, not a crowd pleaser. One of the better films of 2021.

The Batman (2022)
[ 8.5 / 10 ] almost 8.0
A great film, but not absolutely amazing. All of the cast members are great, and the film itself is very well made. The writing is the weak point as compared to the other aspects of the movie, but even then, the writing is good. Pattinson is great. Finally having an emo Batman makes me feel represented.

WARNING: Drive My Car trailer is underwhelming and won't hype you for the film.

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #282 on: March 08, 2022, 06:17:49 PM »

I went to see The Batrman. Boy, was that intense. Compared to The Batman The Dark Knight is lighthearted comedy and Christian Bale's Batman a cheerful fellow with a positive attitude. Pretty good movie, albeit a tad long. A little trimming was required.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #283 on: March 08, 2022, 06:22:33 PM »

The Batman was great. The cast all did a phenomenal job, with special shout-out to Paul Dano and Jeffrey Wright. Only minor complaint is I think Andy Serkis was miscast as Alfred. He's a fine actor, but I don't think he was right for the part or the tone of the movie.

Cinematography and score was great as well. The most accurate comment I saw was that this movie does a good job making itself feel like it's a sequel to a movie we haven't seen. Just a great job jumping right into the action. No need for an origin story, everyone coming to see this already knows who Batman is.

Overall a 9/10.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #284 on: March 09, 2022, 05:11:35 PM »

Well it's confirmed Krqvenwas one of the purple creatures that got thru Mr Strange spell in Spiderman and will premier 1/16/22 Quicksilver whom died off in Avengers 2 will be Kraven
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #285 on: March 09, 2022, 05:50:11 PM »

I went to see The Batrman. Boy, was that intense. Compared to The Batman The Dark Knight is lighthearted comedy and Christian Bale's Batman a cheerful fellow with a positive attitude. Pretty good movie, albeit a tad long. A little trimming was required.

This is literally what Nolan's Batman is on the grand scale of Batmen, just because it's "grounded and realistic and philosophical" doesn't mean it's dark and edgy.

Hopefully it's not as bloated as those Nolan movies were.

#BurtonOrBust.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #286 on: March 09, 2022, 08:03:54 PM »

Delete this, don't post spoilers. Very HP move
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #287 on: March 09, 2022, 11:17:42 PM »

The most accurate comment I saw was that this movie does a good job making itself feel like it's a sequel to a movie we haven't seen.

A million times.

All in all--and I've only been out of the theater for a few hours now, so the high hasn't worm off--this film feels like one that got a lot of the beautiful missteps of earlier films "right".

It also feels like the most "mature" Batman film insofar as

Agree on Alfred.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #288 on: March 09, 2022, 11:25:11 PM »

This is literally what Nolan's Batman is on the grand scale of Batmen, just because it's "grounded and realistic and philosophical" doesn't mean it's dark and edgy.

Hopefully it's not as bloated as those Nolan movies were.

#BurtonOrBust.

The new movie pays palpable homage to Burton.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #289 on: March 10, 2022, 06:15:28 AM »

All in all--and I've only been out of the theater for a few hours now, so the high hasn't worm off--this film feels like one that got a lot of the beautiful missteps of earlier films "right".

THE DARK KNIGHT spoilers

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #290 on: March 11, 2022, 08:31:53 AM »

Liam Neeson's Blacklight > The Batman.

In every single respect.

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for agreement to your review, I can tell you that I don't have that bad of a taste. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long movie-watching life. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stand back from your review now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you...and I will force you to watch The Human Centipede ten times over.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #291 on: March 11, 2022, 01:48:37 PM »

The Good Liar (2019) - 5.5 (almost 6.0)   / 10
Perfectly fine movie but nothing special. Seems like it's aimed at a 40+ year old audience. The lead performances carry the movie.

Alpha (2018) - 4.5 (almost 5.0)   / 10
Very very basic movie. Mostly well made and it's enjoyable, but the script is extremely simple.

Encanto (2021) - 7.0 (almost 6.5)   / 10
Very good movie. When it's firing on all cylinders, it's amazing. Other times it's just "fine".
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #292 on: March 13, 2022, 08:07:04 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2022, 08:11:39 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Black Adam https://g.co/kgs/JNjguz

Blk Adam is coming out confirming that PHAROAH EVEN IN MOSES WRLD UN 10 COMMANDMENTS WERE SUDSNESE AND LIGHT SKINNED BLKS ABD CLEIPATRA WASBLK AS WELL COMFIRMSS THE LUCY THEIRY THAT EVERYONE WERE BLK BEFORE WHITES BECAME PAKE AND HEBREW

THE FIRST ADAM WAS BLK AND LUCY WAS EVE

KING TUT WAS BLK, KING RAMSEY WAS BLK, CLEOPATRA WAS BLK AND THE FIRST ADAM WAS WAS BLK AND ROCK STARS IN THE BLK ADAM7/29

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #293 on: March 14, 2022, 09:14:04 AM »

Don't waste an hour and a half of your life watching Premonition, with Sandra Bullock.  She's a good actress but it was horrible less than halfway through it.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #294 on: March 18, 2022, 12:38:40 PM »

I thought about it and I'm slighly bumping up my Drive My Car score.

Thankfully, I was able to watch a great piece of cinema this week. The trailer is a bit underwhelming but I'll post it anyways. This is being hyped as the best film to ever come out of Norway. I wrote a review elsewhere so I'll just copy-paste.

The Worst Person In The World
director Joachim Trier
Renate Reinsve, Anders Danielsen Lie, Herbert Nordrum

8.5 (almost 9.0) / 10
This is something I've been waiting for... a movie that can combine directing, screenplay and acting and also approach everything from a non-Hollywood style. Here are my thoughts on the movie:

The movie keeps continuously evolving throughout the runtime. This is not the kind of movie that you can watch 20 minutes of and then turn it off because you aren't "feeling" it... the "feel" will keep changing, so just stick with it. This continuous evolution is mostly a great asset to the movie but in my opinion a slight weakness as well. These types of films demand (in my mind) a grand conclusion that ties everything up from both a plot and thematic perspective, and I didn't feel that I got everything I needed there. The movie gets firing on all cylinders and then takes a turn into something less interesting and more thematically ambiguous, and this happens more than once. It's a frustrating borderline masterpiece for a few 10 minute segments but then it can't keep that going and going. Overall, a VERY good film that needs to be recommended and seen.

I've talked at length about the script already. Directing and cinematography has moments of greatness, is mostly quite good, but kind of "average / good" at certain points. Acting is solid overall from the cast, but Reinsve is the absolute star here. The biggest issue I had was "what does it all mean? What is the film trying to say?" But maybe that's the wrong question. Something to think about...

Also, for the political people (everyone here?):
MILD SPOILERS, nothing big:

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #295 on: March 19, 2022, 08:39:34 PM »

Expired (2022)

Really impressed.

Weekend Away (2022)

Suspenseful drama.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #296 on: March 20, 2022, 01:52:38 AM »

MORBIUS and KRAVEN are coming out without Spiderman and Dr Strange no Spiderman either I have mixed feelings but still are gonna watch them
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #297 on: March 22, 2022, 01:05:36 AM »

MORBIUS and KRAVEN are coming out without Spiderman and Dr Strange no Spiderman either I have mixed feelings but still are gonna watch them
I've asked you more than once, PLEASE stop discussing which characters are or aren't in which films that are coming up. Some characters are rumoured or leaked for movies but a lot of people avoid that kind of information on purpose, only to come onto Atlas and some loudmouth to post it. Have some respect for other people. If I want to know what the rumours and leaks are, I'll look them up myself. You would get infracted for this if this was a movie blog and not a politics blog.

If you are also not reading rumours and leaks and are just speaking from what you saw in the movie trailers, say that clearly so people know you aren't posting spoilers.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #298 on: March 22, 2022, 02:00:21 AM »

I've asked you more than once, PLEASE stop discussing which characters are or aren't in which films that are coming up. Some characters are rumoured or leaked for movies but a lot of people avoid that kind of information on purpose, only to come onto Atlas and some loudmouth to post it. Have some respect for other people. If I want to know what the rumours and leaks are, I'll look them up myself. You would get infracted for this if this was a movie blog and not a politics blog.

If you are also not reading rumours and leaks and are just speaking from what you saw in the movie trailers, say that clearly so people know you aren't posting spoilers.

SOUR GRAPES
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #299 on: March 22, 2022, 03:39:24 AM »

Not trying to s__t on Olawakandi, as that would be lame, but that kind of behaviour is considered titanium HP stuff in movie and television communities. I'm not saying he's doing it intentionally or realizes the implications of it, but he's doing it and he should stop.

This forum also has a spoiler option, you type [spoiler and then you add ] on the end, type your text that includes spoilers, and then use the same thing again on the end but with a slash, like "[/spoiler" and with a "]" on the end. That's also a good option for users that don't like to be put in a situation where they don't have to think hard about how to word something so that they aren't spoiling others. Just use the spoiler tags, warn people what movie it's for, and type away. Easy peasy.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies