COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:38:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 271564 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1750 on: May 08, 2020, 02:02:28 PM »

I would like to see mask wearing become less taboo, it's downright fashionable and cool in Asia.

Roll Eyes

Here comes Grace in her mint green Louis Vuitton surgical mask. Very fashionable.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1751 on: May 08, 2020, 02:11:10 PM »

So....

Does anyone else think we've massively misplayed this.

No. We haven’t even seen the worst of what this virus will do yet. Being asymptomatic doesn’t shelter you from all of the possible consequences of acquiring this virus, many of which we likely don’t even know about yet. For example, if you are a young male and have acquired the virus, you may want to visit a fertility doctor (after you recover).

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1752 on: May 08, 2020, 02:12:30 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2020, 02:16:36 PM by Forumlurker »

If you want to know the difference between our lockdown and Spain’s, here it is.
This is your daily reminder that had we adopted something like this back in Mid-March when I wanted to, (instead of making an inefficient compromise which just will hurt us and the economy more) we would be able to safely reopen without killing more people than Vietnam.
https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/05/07/sorry-americans-you-havent-even-had-real-lockdown-yet-coronavirus-spain/
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1753 on: May 08, 2020, 02:17:14 PM »

I would like to see mask wearing become less taboo, it's downright fashionable and cool in Asia.

Roll Eyes

Here comes Grace in her mint green Louis Vuitton surgical mask. Very fashionable.

A protective mask against flu and virus bothers you but you're one of these "open carry" supporting people. That's pretty hilarious.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1754 on: May 08, 2020, 02:20:49 PM »

So....

No, I don't think meat packers tend to be that elderly. Maybe I'm wrong on that.
^This. Meat packers tend to be below fifty, and have a physical job that requires a degree of physical fitness. They are literally the worst possible group to draw the kind of assumptions that The Free North is making. The OP is clearly just looking for data that fits a specific narrative.

The average age at plants across the US is 40 (https://datausa.io/profile/soc/food-processing-workers-all-other#employment). The median US age is 38.

Smeulders
Rookie
Belgium

« Reply #1755 on: May 08, 2020, 02:27:48 PM »

So....

No, I don't think meat packers tend to be that elderly. Maybe I'm wrong on that.
^This. Meat packers tend to be below fifty, and have a physical job that requires a degree of physical fitness. They are literally the worst possible group to draw the kind of assumptions that The Free North is making. The OP is clearly just looking for data that fits a specific narrative.

There is a mountain of data showing what this epidemic to whole countries with regards to hospitalisation and mortality, but look at this little mole-hill of a single plant! (Please ignore that this is a healthy population, and ignore that the onset of symptoms is after people start testing positive).
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #1756 on: May 08, 2020, 02:35:11 PM »

I am rejecting all handshakes, that's dead for a very longtime.

I see no reason why handshakes wouldn't return to norm after this pandemic ends.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1757 on: May 08, 2020, 02:39:21 PM »

I am rejecting all handshakes, that's dead for a very longtime.

I see no reason why handshakes wouldn't return to norm after this pandemic ends.

I think it's likely that more people will decline to shake hands, although I don't expect them to disappear entirely.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1758 on: May 08, 2020, 02:39:34 PM »

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1759 on: May 08, 2020, 02:40:38 PM »

Straight babble.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1760 on: May 08, 2020, 03:07:30 PM »

So, the implication is that "it will go away without tests", so... no increase in testing after the first wave to keep track of where/when a second wave might be starting? This clown doesn't take a day off, it's just 24/7 carnival music.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1761 on: May 08, 2020, 03:28:24 PM »

Roll Eyes

A protective mask against flu and virus bothers you but you're one of these "open carry" supporting people. That's pretty hilarious.

It doesn't bother me. People can choose to wear or carry whatever legal item they want as far as im concerned. But yeah I think its an absolute joke to claim surgical masks are "fashionable and cool". People are wearing these ugly masks because they think its necessary for their health, not because they match Shaona's purse. Since Im pro-choice I guess by your logic that still makes me one of these "mask wearing " supporting people as well. See, I don't freak out over the exercise of fundamental rights like those who claim seeing someone carry a gun is "violence".
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1762 on: May 08, 2020, 03:31:19 PM »

So, the implication is that "it will go away without tests", so... no increase in testing after the first wave to keep track of where/when a second wave might be starting? This clown doesn't take a day off, it's just 24/7 carnival music.

It's ever more apparent that everyone has been giving Mr. Trump far too much credit for his handling of the pandemic. It's not just that he's incompetent, it's that has no true comprehension of anything involving the pandemic or the response to it, and lacks the self-awareness to even recognize that he doesn't know what he's talking about. Donald Trump is indistinguishable from a poorly programmed Chinese room.

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1763 on: May 08, 2020, 03:45:37 PM »

Hm.....looks like a severe lung disease also has long term effects, even if it doesn’t kill you...who would have guessed?
You know, this was all preventable. Both Chinese and American governments need to be investigated for crimes against humanity.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2020/5/8/21251899/coronavirus-long-term-effects-symptoms
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1764 on: May 08, 2020, 03:51:27 PM »

Roll Eyes

It doesn't bother me. People can choose to wear or carry whatever legal item they want as far as im concerned. But yeah I think its an absolute joke to claim surgical masks are "fashionable and cool". People are wearing these ugly masks because they think its necessary for their health, not because they match Shaona's purse. Since Im pro-choice I guess by your logic that still makes me one of these "mask wearing " supporting people as well. See, I don't freak out over the exercise of fundamental rights like those who claim seeing someone carry a gun is "violence".
So, if I'm following your logic correctly here, it isn't "violent" to carry around a power drill, handcuffs and choloroform, even say, in a back alley near night clubs at 3AM?
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #1765 on: May 08, 2020, 03:53:06 PM »

I think Katie Miller gets infected with an even worse virus on the regular if you know what I'm saying.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1766 on: May 08, 2020, 04:00:17 PM »

Not directly related to US, but a huge deal if true: Now there are reports the first Covid19 case in France could be dating back to November 2019. For reference, the PRC informed WHO on December 31. Haven't seen US media picking this up yet, but if confirmed, we may be talking about a much earlier spread in the US and elsewhere.

I've been saying this for a while, I don't know if it was like this where you guys live but here, EVERYONE was sick like constantly between November and mid-late January. Like, it seemed like everyone I knew (including my wife and myself) got sick with weird respiratory sh**t back during the winter, and everyone I know who went to the doctor for it said they tested for the flu but it wasn't the flu, just "unknown upper respiratory infection" was the diagnosis.

I really think this has been going around longer than people realize, and everyone was fine.
Maybe....or it could have been one of thousands of viruses which cause upper respiratory infections.
Considering the sudden spikes in mortality in known Covid hotspots, I don’t think this is as likely as people say. There certainly may have been some transmission earlier than we thought, but I doubt most Americans have had Covid.
Of course, as usual I hope you are right.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1767 on: May 08, 2020, 04:07:10 PM »

I think Katie Miller gets infected with an even worse virus on the regular if you know what I'm saying.

I didn't even know that she was Stephen Miller's wife, but then again, the last name should have been a hint. It's astonishing that this cretin is one of the few remaining original advisers in the Trump White House, alongside Kellyanne Conway, who is someone I thought would have been gone by now.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1768 on: May 08, 2020, 04:08:24 PM »

The new positives rate (as a percentage of tests performed) in New York dropped below 10% for the first time since March 8 (when there were only 307 tests and 22 positives) today. Progress continues to be made here.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1769 on: May 08, 2020, 04:19:23 PM »

Roll Eyes

So, if I'm following your logic correctly here, it isn't "violent" to carry around a power drill, handcuffs and choloroform, even say, in a back alley near night clubs at 3AM?

Not at all. If you were merely doing that in a public alley directly adjacent to a night club at 3 AM and a cop arrested you for it, I'd certainly take your case. Absent express threats, vocal or physical, (and I don't consider passive carrying a physical threat) for all I know, you are a performance artist, a prop comic, an eccentric, a kink, coming from a theme party, moving some of your stuff from one location to another, lots of likelier options than kidnapper (who uses something as dumb as a drill for a weapon rather than a gun?)... we have a local crank where I live who occasionally walks his dog with a sheathed samurai sword slung over his shoulder. Most people just roll their eyes and laugh. No one is going to pay something as portable and ubiquitous as a power drill a second glance. Visible handcuffs would likely suggest you are LEO. The chloroform would have to be large print for anyone to know what it was. And if it was in large print it would resemble more of a prop than anything since chemical labels don't look like that. And even if I did see a guy with all 3 items (in the dark at 3AM), and then assumed he was an evil kidnapper and felt scared, again so what? If he wasn't a kidnapper and didn't attempt to kidnap me or say point his drill at me and cycle it, what crime has been committed? Certainly not the "terrorism" that some of the alarmists on here espouse.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1770 on: May 08, 2020, 04:28:12 PM »

Roll Eyes

Not at all. If you were merely doing that in a public alley directly adjacent to a night club at 3 AM and a cop arrested you for it, I'd certainly take your case. Absent express threats, vocal or physical, (and I don't consider passive carrying a physical threat) for all I know, you are a performance artist, a prop comic, an eccentric, a kink, coming from a theme party, moving some of your stuff from one location to another, lots of likelier options than kidnapper (who uses something as dumb as a drill for a weapon rather than a gun?)... we have a local crank where I live who occasionally walks his dog with a sheathed samurai sword slung over his shoulder. Most people just roll their eyes and laugh. No one is going to pay something as portable and ubiquitous as a power drill a second glance. Visible handcuffs would likely suggest you are LEO. The chloroform would have to be large print for anyone to know what it was. And if it was in large print it would resemble more of a prop than anything since chemical labels don't look like that. And even if I did see a guy with all 3 items (in the dark at 3AM), and then assumed he was an evil kidnapper and felt scared, again so what? If he wasn't a kidnapper and didn't attempt to kidnap me or say point his drill at me and cycle it, what crime has been committed? Certainly not the "terrorism" that some of the alarmists on here espouse.

Mr. Reactionary is "pro rape-kit". I think it's silly to contraband everyday items BTW. And even support gun ownership but with a way higher burden/responsibility of ownership and way more government record keeping and regulation.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1771 on: May 08, 2020, 04:33:23 PM »

So....

The relatively benign outcomes we are observing from outbreaks like this are indeed a sign that we are going about this all wrong. 

If we are going for herd immunity, we will save hundred of thousands of lives by achieving it through voluntary deliberately infection of young and healthy people, as opposed to just continuing to let it spread randomly.  You might reduce deaths in the long run by more than 90%.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1772 on: May 08, 2020, 04:40:25 PM »

So....

The relatively benign outcomes we are observing from outbreaks like this are indeed a sign that we are going about this all wrong. 

If we are going for herd immunity, we will save hundred of thousands of lives by achieving it through voluntary deliberately infection of young and healthy people, as opposed to just continuing to let it spread randomly.  You might reduce deaths in the long run by more than 90%.

This plan sounds stupid. You can't predict what will happen as assuredly as you can with other types of modeling and we don't even know what the long term effects of this virus are. This would also take massive co-ordination to protect those vulnerable and our critical infrastructure. The Federal response has been incompetent to do the most basic things. What makes you think they could guide anything this ambitious if it even was a good idea, which it doesn't seem to be from all the evidence we have.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1773 on: May 08, 2020, 04:56:34 PM »

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1774 on: May 08, 2020, 05:05:52 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 ... 201