COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:29:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 266387 times)
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1725 on: May 08, 2020, 01:30:33 AM »

Mask wearing will probably be a common thing, it is what stops most asian countries from suffering as badly from the flu, when I used to work at a restaurant a lot of the asian customers would come in wearing masks

It won't be a common thing after vaccines (and/or effective treatments) roll out. I'm worried about the meantime, after we enter the neutral state after the wave is over when we have 100--300 cases per day nationwide. Wearing masks during that period is still hysteria and I won't have it.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1726 on: May 08, 2020, 01:33:38 AM »

Mask wearing will probably be a common thing, it is what stops most asian countries from suffering as badly from the flu, when I used to work at a restaurant a lot of the asian customers would come in wearing masks

It won't be a common thing after vaccines (and/or effective treatments) roll out. I'm worried about the meantime, after we enter the neutral state after the wave is over when we have 100--300 cases per day nationwide. Wearing masks during that period is still hysteria and I won't have it.

The question then will be what we do to stop those 100-300 cases from launching us right back into exponential growth again. Perhaps contact tracing and bans on mass gatherings, actual mass gatherings not a couple hundred people, will be enough, but if wearing masks for a year allows us to open up the country three months earlier it's a small price to pay.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1727 on: May 08, 2020, 02:23:40 AM »

Hear that, everybody? Let's all stop taking a sensible measure to protect our most vulnerable loved ones from a highly contagious deadly disease because Grasr00ts just won't have it.

JFC. Roll Eyes
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1728 on: May 08, 2020, 02:29:35 AM »

Hear that, everybody? Let's all stop taking a sensible measure to protect our most vulnerable loved ones from a highly contagious deadly disease because Grasr00ts just won't have it.

JFC. Roll Eyes
He's gonna go into people's personal space during social distancing protocols to forcibly remove their PPE I suppose. I wonder how long until he gets dropkicked / tazered / maced?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1729 on: May 08, 2020, 07:34:06 AM »

Record 20.5 million jobs were lost in April as US unemployment rate jumps to 14.7%
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1730 on: May 08, 2020, 08:07:40 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2020, 08:11:56 AM by Sir Mohamed »

Not directly related to US, but a huge deal if true: Now there are reports the first Covid19 case in France could be dating back to November 2019. For reference, the PRC informed WHO on December 31. Haven't seen US media picking this up yet, but if confirmed, we may be talking about a much earlier spread in the US and elsewhere.

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1731 on: May 08, 2020, 08:18:10 AM »

Not directly related to US, but a huge deal if true: Now there are reports the first Covid19 case in France could be dating back to November 2019. For reference, the PRC informed WHO on December 31. Haven't seen US media picking this up yet, but if confirmed, we may be talking about a much earlier spread in the US and elsewhere.

I think it is possible that China set this virus up deliberately to destabilize the West and especially the US economy.

For China it doesn’t matter if 3.000 of their people die or not, if they achieve their long term goals abroad ...
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1732 on: May 08, 2020, 08:19:38 AM »

Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #1733 on: May 08, 2020, 08:21:00 AM »

This would line up with some of the surprisingly early community spread some places saw.
Smeulders
Rookie
Belgium

« Reply #1734 on: May 08, 2020, 08:30:43 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2020, 08:36:09 AM by Smeulders »

Weird report. The "if" is doing a lot of lifting in "huge deal if true". We know what unchecked spread looks like. We've seen examples in North Italy, Spain, New York. We know what this virus can do even if checked by lockdowns. See most of Europe and the US. It is extremely unlikely that this virus was at large in November, didn't cause any noticeable outbreaks anywhere and then suddenly exploded in Wuhan after which it spread around the world causing very noticeable outbreaks wherever it appeared.

Also of interest for those who can not read French themselves. The press report (at least the part in the image) does not say suspected Covid case. It says "compatible with Covid" or "typical for Covid. In other words, the symptoms they saw were consistent with Covid, which is not the same as the hospital claiming it thinks that is a Covid case. (A slightly stronger example to make the point; getting a fever is consistent with Covid, but my fever of 3 years ago is not a suspected Covid case).

Edit: The article linked in the tweet does contain quotes by one of the doctors involved who claims?suspects that these were Covid cases.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1735 on: May 08, 2020, 10:05:44 AM »

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1736 on: May 08, 2020, 10:11:06 AM »

You know I like you, Grass.  But if someone wants to wear a mask, it doesn't matter whether you'll "have it" or not.  
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1737 on: May 08, 2020, 10:17:34 AM »

Seeing so many people with masks makes me think of the Jack Vance short story The Moon Moth, in which everyone wears masks in public.  The style and design of the mask indicates the wearer's status in society.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1738 on: May 08, 2020, 12:23:41 PM »

A member of the US Navy who serves as one of President Donald Trump's personal valets has tested positive for coronavirus, CNN has learned Thursday, raising concerns about the President's possible exposure to the virus.
A White House source said the valet, a man who has not been identified, exhibited "symptoms" Wednesday morning, and said the news that someone close to Trump had tested positive for coronavirus was "hitting the fan" in the West Wing.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/07/politics/trump-valet-tests-positive-covid-19/index.html

About that:

Also:

So now we know the coronavirus is in the White House.  How soon before we hear of others who work there being tested positive, including Trump himself?  Assuming he isn't already infected.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1739 on: May 08, 2020, 12:29:31 PM »

Countries with common sense actually use masks regularly during any sort of viral outbreak, flu included.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1740 on: May 08, 2020, 12:35:44 PM »

I've been saying this for a while, I don't know if it was like this where you guys live but here, EVERYONE was sick like constantly between November and mid-late January. Like, it seemed like everyone I knew (including my wife and myself) got sick with weird respiratory sh**t back during the winter, and everyone I know who went to the doctor for it said they tested for the flu but it wasn't the flu, just "unknown upper respiratory infection" was the diagnosis.

I really think this has been going around longer than people realize, and everyone was fine.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1741 on: May 08, 2020, 12:51:04 PM »

You know I like you, Grass.  But if someone wants to wear a mask, it doesn't matter whether you'll "have it" or not. 

I'm not going to forcibly remove anyone's PPE, but I'm also not going to needlessly tiptoe around the needs of psychotic hypochondriacs who want to wear face coverings on a beach in July or something.  I'll shake people's hands, give hugs, visit bars and restaurants, queue in lines as normal (unless someone specifically asks me to back up) as my small contribution in returning things to normal as soon as possible.   
Smeulders
Rookie
Belgium

« Reply #1742 on: May 08, 2020, 01:17:44 PM »

I've been saying this for a while, I don't know if it was like this where you guys live but here, EVERYONE was sick like constantly between November and mid-late January. Like, it seemed like everyone I knew (including my wife and myself) got sick with weird respiratory sh**t back during the winter, and everyone I know who went to the doctor for it said they tested for the flu but it wasn't the flu, just "unknown upper respiratory infection" was the diagnosis.

I really think this has been going around longer than people realize, and everyone was fine.

If everyone was fine then, it wasn't Covid-19. This virus is being tracked constantly. The complete genome of this virus has been mapped in hundreds of different places, and variations can all be traced back to the Wuhan outbreak. Unless someone can explain how the Virus suddenly got much more deadly, and why no trace of this non-lethal variant making the rounds Nov-Jan is being found, then the conclusion is simple, Covid-19 did not have community spread outside of China before New
Years.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1743 on: May 08, 2020, 01:24:59 PM »

A five-year-old boy has become the first child in New York to die from a rare inflammatory condition believed to be linked to the novel coronavirus.

Governor Andrew Cuomo told reports at a Friday press briefing that the boy died in New York City on Thursday night.

[...]

Cuomo said health authorities are investigating 73 similar cases reported across New York where children have exhibited symptoms to Kawasaki disease or toxic shock-like syndrome.

'While rare, we are seeing some cases where children affected with the COVID virus can become ill with symptoms similar to the Kawasaki disease or toxic shock-like syndrome that literally causes inflammation in their blood vessels,' he said.

[...]

Cases of rare, life-threatening inflammatory illnesses in children associated with exposure to COVID-19 were first reported in Britain, Italy and Spain.

However, doctors in the US are starting to report clusters of kids with the disorder, which can attack multiple organs, impair heart function and weaken heart arteries.

'This would be really painful news and would open up an entirely different chapter,' Cuomo said.

'I can't tell you how many people I spoke to who took peace and solace in the fact that children were not getting infected.'

This emerging syndrome, which may occur days to weeks after a COVID-19 illness, reflects the surprising ways that this entirely new coronavirus infects and sickens its human hosts.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1744 on: May 08, 2020, 01:26:04 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2020, 01:30:28 PM by (CT) The Free North »

So....

Does anyone else think we've massively misplayed this. Its inevitable given our lack of information and poor data that models, etc are going to be wrong, but if these stats are anywhere near indicative of the US as a whole (and perhaps are worse given conditions in a packing plant).....

I don't have the data for it, but i'm almost certain the hospitalizations are either people with some sort of pre-existing medical condition or 50+.

Yes, we don't know the full effectiveness of herd immunity, but if a huge chunk of the population already has the disease, has no symptoms much less is going to need to be in the ICU, why not open back up everything if you're young, healthy, and perhaps have a testing requirement too.

If we're in lockdown to prevent overwhelming the medical system, but we know only a certain part of the population will need to use it AND if there is no impending explosion of cases coming because a sizable plurality already is infected, can we not just isolate certain vulnerable groups and let everyone else live their lives outside of that?

Is it really worth losing 20M jobs/month over? Can we not find some sort of a middle ground between open everything or close everything. I mean look at this sh**t:

The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1745 on: May 08, 2020, 01:28:17 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2020, 01:32:14 PM by (CT) The Free North »

And I would note as well that conditions in a packing plant are about as bad for spreading a virus as you can imagine. These workers stand side by side for hours on end, many live with each other nearby as well.

If they're not being overwhelmed by this, you going to a cubicle in an office and a reduced capacity bar won't either.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1746 on: May 08, 2020, 01:28:34 PM »

I am rejecting all handshakes, that's dead for a very longtime.

I would like to see mask wearing become less taboo, it's downright fashionable and cool in Asia. But this being America there are a lot of issues with that, we have a lot of gun violence, racism, private property mumbo jumbo(like malls) and we are trying to build that surveillance state, gotta build that surveillance state!
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1747 on: May 08, 2020, 01:33:01 PM »

So....

Does anyone else think we've massively misplayed this.

No, I don't think meat packers tend to be that elderly. Maybe I'm wrong on that.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1748 on: May 08, 2020, 01:43:31 PM »

So....

No, I don't think meat packers tend to be that elderly. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

Average age at the plant is 40, avg age of hospitalized was 60+. Cant find the tweet, its buried somewhere in my feed
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1749 on: May 08, 2020, 01:46:37 PM »

So....

^This. Meat packers tend to be below fifty, and have a physical job that requires a degree of physical fitness. They are literally the worst possible group to draw the kind of assumptions that The Free North is making. The OP is clearly just looking for data that fits a specific narrative.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies