COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 09:25:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 272981 times)
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1575 on: May 05, 2020, 04:16:56 AM »

I would agree with this. Individual businesses should have the right to decide whether or not they will require customers to wear masks while on their premises, but government should not, at least to the extent of fining, jailing, or otherwise penalizing people for not wearing them.

this is crazy, if the government has not the right, the individual businesses that existing only thank to government has some right more??
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #1576 on: May 05, 2020, 04:18:52 AM »

Is this meant to be sarcasm? Indecent exposure could very well be construed as sexual assault. Can the same be said about mask wearing? Especially since not everyone can wear masks, aside from the other considerations attached to them? As I've made clear before, I think businesses can require their customers to wear masks, but governments should not be tying up their resources prosecuting or penalizing people over them. There are more important considerations at hand.

also spread a plague is a crime, here
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1577 on: May 05, 2020, 06:15:38 AM »

Let's continue to listen to those protesters.

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1578 on: May 05, 2020, 06:31:55 AM »

Will Donald Trump have Australia's back if we enter a spat with China over the Corona-virus?
I'm going to say, "no".

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1579 on: May 05, 2020, 06:43:06 AM »

Weren’t initial estimates of deaths saying 200,000 deaths in America by August? Then the outlook improved. And now we’re kind of on track for it again.

It’s hard not to see this as extremely bleak and horrible for our country and the world.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1580 on: May 05, 2020, 07:24:19 AM »

It's not surprising to see this, but what will most Americans think once we hit 25% or even 30% unemployment, and the economy has completely crashed? When we have breadlines in every city, mass foreclosures across the country, mass bankruptcies, and millions of jobs permanently lost? At some point, people will have to make a choice between their financial well-being and their fears for their health, and that is an impossible choice for many.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1581 on: May 05, 2020, 08:01:15 AM »

Will Donald Trump have Australia's back if we enter a spat with China over the Corona-virus?
I'm going to say, "no".

Hey, OSINT is still INT. Tongue
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1582 on: May 05, 2020, 08:22:22 AM »

It's not surprising to see this, but what will most Americans think once we hit 25% or even 30% unemployment, and the economy has completely crashed? When we have breadlines in every city, mass foreclosures across the country, mass bankruptcies, and millions of jobs permanently lost? At some point, people will have to make a choice between their financial well-being and their fears for their health, and that is an impossible choice for many.

It's a sad day when people pick the economy over their health or other peoples health.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1583 on: May 05, 2020, 08:29:03 AM »

It's a sad day when people pick the economy over their health or other peoples health.

It's a sad day when people pick fear and bad odds over being able to eat and exercising fundamental rights.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1584 on: May 05, 2020, 08:50:43 AM »

But for many people, the economy and their personal health are inseparable. As you very well know, many people only have insurance coverage because of their jobs. And of course, many others have no insurance coverage at all, even with a job. Depriving them of that would put them further into the hole. Do you think it is morally just for someone to be unemployed and to be reduced to begging at a food bank for sustenance, and to hope that they won't be evicted? All for the sake of a months-long lockdown that will not bring a cure to this virus, and by itself will cause more disruption and more harm? I don't think so.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #1585 on: May 05, 2020, 08:57:09 AM »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1586 on: May 05, 2020, 09:21:08 AM »

The hospitalizations failed to materialize in part because the response reduced transmission rates and in part because people became afraid to go.

It's also become clear that ventilators aren't an effective treatment. I'm not sure how much that has affected the numbers, but it does change the limiting factor on ability to treat.

It turns out that in most severe cases, turning the patient onto their front and giving them oxygen is much more effective. And has the additional benefit of being much safer for staff and so (presumably) cutting down a little bit on nosocomial spread.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1587 on: May 05, 2020, 09:30:00 AM »

April was the 1st month in the US without a school shooting since when exactly ?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1588 on: May 05, 2020, 12:01:12 PM »

Can anyone shed some light on to what extent some of these states "reopening" is just a scheme to get out of paying people unemployment?

It feels like that to me, but I don't really know how things like this work in, say, Georgia.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1589 on: May 05, 2020, 12:03:49 PM »

Everything is fine.

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1590 on: May 05, 2020, 12:13:04 PM »

Is it possible to look at any of the news that has come out in the last week with anything short of utter despair?

At what point will things ever be okay again?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1591 on: May 05, 2020, 12:15:06 PM »

Is it possible to look at any of the news that has come out in the last week with anything short of utter despair?

It starts with competent leadership (January).
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1592 on: May 05, 2020, 12:29:39 PM »

It starts with competent leadership (January).

By then it’ll be too late.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1593 on: May 05, 2020, 12:32:26 PM »

But for many people, the economy and their personal health are inseparable. As you very well know, many people only have insurance coverage because of their jobs. And of course, many others have no insurance coverage at all, even with a job. Depriving them of that would put them further into the hole. Do you think it is morally just for someone to be unemployed and to be reduced to begging at a food bank for sustenance, and to hope that they won't be evicted? All for the sake of a months-long lockdown that will not bring a cure to this virus, and by itself will cause more disruption and more harm? I don't think so.

That's a flaw in the healthcare system (a feature, I guess, for right wingers). Has nothing to do with the impact of coronavirus and everything to do with decades of failure of US leadership.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1594 on: May 05, 2020, 12:39:05 PM »

That's a flaw in the healthcare system (a feature, I guess, for right wingers). Has nothing to do with the impact of coronavirus and everything to do with decades of failure of US leadership.

I certainly am not trying to argue that our healthcare system is "perfect" or "flawless"-it is far from that. What I am trying to say is that there is a point where the stay-at-home orders become unsustainable for millions of Americans. And Governors across the country have begun to recognize that.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1595 on: May 05, 2020, 12:44:40 PM »

I certainly am not trying to argue that our healthcare system is "perfect" or "flawless"-it is far from that. What I am trying to say is that there is a point where the stay-at-home orders become unsustainable for millions of Americans. And Governors across the country have begun to recognize that.

"Governors", or "a few Republican Governors"?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1596 on: May 05, 2020, 12:47:11 PM »

Democrat Ralph Northam is letting us reopen restaurants and barbers next week ... announced earlier than Republican Larry Hogan.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1597 on: May 05, 2020, 12:48:29 PM »

Democrat Ralph Northam is letting us reopen restaurants and barbers next week ... announced earlier than Republican Larry Hogan.

That's rather unfortunate to hear; Northam was one of my favorite Governors, too.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1598 on: May 05, 2020, 12:48:58 PM »

Not just a "few Republican Governors". Even Democratic Governors such as Andrew Cuomo, Gavin Newsom, and Ralph Northam, among others, have begun outlining their plans to reopen the economies in their states. And Jared Polis-a Democrat-has already been doing so here in my home state of Colorado.

And Hogan has been praised by many, particularly on this website, for his response to the pandemic. He and Charlie Baker, moreover, have been the only Republican Governors to date who have issued mandatory mask orders, a measure which has been touted by many on the left.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1599 on: May 05, 2020, 12:53:33 PM »

Mandatory masks aren't touted by "the left", they're touted by people who take facts into consideration. There's a reason why countries like Taiwan and South Korea have been so much more effective in their response than this country has.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies