Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:36:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 66
Author Topic: Georgia's Very Own Megathread!  (Read 130989 times)
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: December 15, 2021, 07:02:16 PM »

He does have a platform. He just isn't going to say it out loud for fear of it backfiring.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1026 on: December 16, 2021, 03:42:01 PM »

Shamelessly quoting myself but this seems similar to what happened in 2010 in Texas when the Bush family & other GOP establishment types tried to primary Rick Perry with then Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison.

She was a terrible campaigner & lost.

FWIW Perdue would not be the first senator or D.C creature to be pushed into primarying a disliked state official- the issue is that they've got a record of doing quite badly!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1027 on: December 17, 2021, 01:53:32 AM »
« Edited: December 17, 2021, 02:15:24 AM by Adam Griffin »

PLEASE weakly CLAP
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #1028 on: December 17, 2021, 01:54:43 AM »
« Edited: December 17, 2021, 02:20:53 AM by Adam Griffin »

In all seriousness, Perdue is kicking off his campaign in 1 of the most integral areas for GAGOP victory and one of the areas most based on media exposure where Kemp would be weakest: the Chattanooga media market (i.e. one of the places where Perdue did worse than Loeffler & where most GOP media operations take voters for granted, even if it doesn't mathematically seem that way). Remember this is where Trump tried to stand his ground in the January 2021 runoffs. Good start for the fight!

Honestly, this map can explain variances in a lot of primary and general election swings based on where candidates do/do not run field operations and ads:

If he can pull the wool over the eyes of rural South Georgians and a handful of "thoughtful" ATL suburbrons, he's in it for real.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #1029 on: December 17, 2021, 02:06:02 AM »
« Edited: December 17, 2021, 02:19:10 AM by Adam Griffin »

I do really think South Georgia will be the final key to this primary. In terms of the above map, Kemp has a stranglehold over most of NE non-urban yellow & seafoam-colored Georgia, Perdue will likely dominate in the geographic center of the state/lime-green areas, the urbanized ATL metro will probably be some kind of wash, and most of the rest outside will come down to who runs how many ads in the far-flung places (Chattanooga, Columbus, Augusta & FL media markets).

In some ways, I think this will be a potential redo for Perdue compared to his 2014 runoff - can he pull into the fold the Kingston voters in the SE who he failed to win? Keep in mind that these same voters were key to Kemp's top-2 placement in the gubernatorial runoff, (to a far less extent, given his margin) his runoff victory and (very much so, given turnout and shifts) his overall GE win in 2018. Can Perdue make up enough ground with them? Only time will tell.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #1030 on: December 17, 2021, 02:50:25 AM »
« Edited: December 17, 2021, 03:10:56 AM by Adam Griffin »

Obviously not meant to be exact and I am of course keeping regional delineations simple, but this - obviously contingent upon whatever various margins in each county look like - is what I imagine a narrow Perdue win looking like (carrying almost all blue counties by large-to-small (but respectable)
margins & minimizing Kemp wins in any purple ones - regardless of size - to nominal victories):

If it was literally 50/50 in the purple counties overall with Perdue carrying all blue counties and Kemp carrying the red by equal overall margins, then Perdue would likely win by around 10 points in a head-to-head race. However, I do think the power of incumbency would help Kemp a bit, therefore the tight (lower single-digits) Perdue win in my projection. This is largely because the "solid Kemp" cluster has around 30% more GOP voters than the "solid Perdue" cluster; while keeping such to a draw in the bulk of the GOP electorate in purple, winning those far-flung light blue counties would make up the difference.

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1031 on: December 17, 2021, 09:18:01 AM »

Georgia allows voters to select whichever primary they want to vote in.

I'm going to vote in the GOP primary for Kemp.

Obviously, I'll go with Abrams for the general no matter what.  But at least Kemp tried to (somewhat) stand up for democracy and not blindly go along with Trump.  Perdue would sell us out, and he's already admitted to that.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1032 on: December 17, 2021, 09:53:19 AM »

Per Axios, 25 of the 34 Republican state senators sent Perdue a letter last month urging him not to run for governor.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1033 on: December 17, 2021, 10:30:16 AM »

Perdue's legacy is going to be even more embarrassing if he loses this primary.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1034 on: December 17, 2021, 10:32:16 AM »

Perdue's legacy is going to be even more embarrassing if he loses this primary.

I really don't know that Kemp will win it.  And with Jones, it's going to a runoff, which is worse for Kemp's potential IMO.

I'm betting Perdue wins it.  But I also think he'll perform worse against Stacey Abrams than would Kemp (though he may do better than Jones).
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1035 on: December 17, 2021, 11:24:53 AM »

Abrams should not be cocky either.

Tossup until the last vote is counted, and white Atlanta suburban voters could flip back to Republicans especially if Biden/Harris's approval ratings sink....even if Biden picks a Black woman to the Supreme Court if Breyer retires next year, the white female vote could offset the Black vote gains....

A lot of Republican voters will want to prove their not "racist" by electing Herschel....Herschel could help Perdue and GAGOPers...
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #1036 on: December 17, 2021, 11:40:43 AM »

I can't imagine Perdue running a campaign on the rhetoric that won Dems the Georgia Senate Runoffs will do him any favors in the general. Kemp would be stronger in the ATL suburbs and would be more competitive against Abrams.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1037 on: December 17, 2021, 01:45:27 PM »

I can't imagine Perdue running a campaign on the rhetoric that won Dems the Georgia Senate Runoffs will do him any favors in the general. Kemp would be stronger in the ATL suburbs and would be more competitive against Abrams.

January 2021 was a much better environment for Democrats than November of 2022 will be. Plus, Perdue didn't lose by very much. He's going to win the primary and general election.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1038 on: December 17, 2021, 01:52:04 PM »
« Edited: December 17, 2021, 03:55:01 PM by Roll Roons »

January 2021 was a much better environment for Democrats than November of 2022 will be. Plus, Perdue didn't lose by very much. He's going to win the primary and general election.

2014 was a much better environment for the GOP than 2012, but Perdue won by a smaller margin than Romney. 2020 was a worse environment for Democrats than 2018, but Biden won the state even though Abrams didn't.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1039 on: December 18, 2021, 11:27:55 AM »

Tossup until the last vote is counted, and white Atlanta suburban voters could flip back to Republicans especially if Biden/Harris's approval ratings sink....even if Biden picks a Black woman to the Supreme Court if Breyer retires next year, the white female vote could offset the Black vote gains....

A lot of Republican voters will want to prove their not "racist" by electing Herschel....Herschel could help Perdue and GAGOPers...

Who is getting cocky?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1040 on: December 18, 2021, 02:50:17 PM »

2014 was a much better environment for the GOP than 2012, but Perdue won by a smaller margin than Romney. 2020 was a worse environment for Democrats than 2018, but Biden won the state even though Abrams didn't.
Georgia is immune to national trends. Stacey Abrams is well known by people who don’t even care about politics and people are/will be ready to show up for her. I don’t care what doom posters prognosticate about GA. This race is hers to lose.

Who is getting cocky?
They’re just saying sh*t. LOL. Abrams and her camp will not take any voter for granted and I believe will mobilize a GOTV program unlike anything we have ever seen both in Georgia and nationally. I’m so excited to witness it.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1041 on: December 23, 2021, 08:38:23 AM »

Is there a reason why Kemp hasn't signed the redistricting maps into law yet? Checking their strength against lawsuits?
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #1042 on: December 23, 2021, 10:35:20 AM »

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1043 on: December 23, 2021, 11:33:03 AM »

Yup, exactly.

I might add that in 2020 Dems had an even better ground game and a stronger effort to turn voters out. This combined with with GA trends allowed Biden to archieve what Abrams couldn't just 2 years before. If the gubernatorial election was held in 2020, Abrams may very well have pulled it out.

2022 will be a big test whether Dem efforts on the ground and state's trend bear fruits.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1044 on: February 01, 2022, 11:41:13 AM »

skbl17
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -6.09

« Reply #1045 on: February 04, 2022, 01:32:58 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2022, 01:48:44 PM by skbl17 »

There seems to be an intense focus on Gwinnett County this session.

- First, Board of Education districts. The BoE, which only recently flipped to a Dem majority, is poised to become nonpartisan if SB 369 becomes law. This legislation was originally tipped to be considered in the redistricting special session, but was pushed back owing to controversy that neither the (strongly majority-Dem) county delegation nor the (all-Dem) county commission were consulted.

In theory, this also goes against the wish of a strong majority of 2020 GOP primary voters, who voted in a 2020 advisory question to mandate partisan identification for BoE races (specifically Question 3 - "SHOULD CANDIDATES FOR BOARD OF EDUCATION BE REQUIRED TO DECLARE THEIR POLITICAL PARTY?" - which passed in Gwinnett 71.5-28.5). However, I doubt this will have any notable effect on the reelection prospects of the few remaining GOP legislators from Gwinnett.

- Next, county commission districts. Previously a GOP monopoly, the Dems flipped all the seats over the course of the 2018 and 2020 election cycles, transforming the commission into a Dem monopoly. The commission recently proposed new lines, but interestingly, the General Assembly (or at least the House) plans to impose their own lines via HB 873.

Under the GOP-proposed lines, the commission would likely be 4-1 Dem (down from 5-0 Dem currently), so overall Dem control of the commission is not threatened, as the chairmanship (elected countywide) and districts 1-3 are all safe Dem. However, district 4* would likely be an R gain: on the proposed lines, the district was Loeffler+6-7 or so. Now, as the tentacles of blue Gwinnett spread north, it's quite possible district 4* would only be GOP for a short time, as I could see the Dems winning back the seat in either 2026 or, if the pro-Dem trends in Gwinnett slow down, 2030.

* The map above denotes this as "001", but the legislation refers to this as "district 4". I'm going off the legislation.
JMT

« Reply #1046 on: February 07, 2022, 02:55:33 PM »

Jones OUT of Governor’s race, will instead run for Congress:

This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1047 on: February 07, 2022, 03:02:56 PM »

No doubt Trump twisted his arm on this.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1048 on: February 07, 2022, 03:08:29 PM »

Yeah, though I'm surprised Trump even backs proven loser David Perdue. I mean, he already lost a statewide race and I thought Trump doesn't like losers.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1049 on: February 07, 2022, 03:12:26 PM »

IDK why this matters?  GA has a runoff!
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 66  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies