Canada General Discussion (2019-)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:29:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (2019-)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 138 ... 141
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion (2019-)  (Read 192948 times)
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3300 on: March 16, 2024, 01:46:27 AM »

Trudeau says he thinks about leaving 'crazy job'

That's a very frank thing to say. A stupid thing to say if he wants another term. But I think Trudeau's at least considering a walk in the snow.

But I have to say, he's been a bit more frank recently in general. His impassioned defence of the carbon tax, while probably bad politics given the mood of the nation, I think he comes off much better in those off the cuff moments compared to his standard focus-grouped word salad non-answers. I don't think he's winning back any LPC-CPC defectors with that, but I can definitely see how a stance like that would at least help unite progressive voters around the LPC. And aside from partisan/ideological stuff, he does come across as a more assertive and confident leader than he has for months if not years, and that's half the job of a Prime Minister. But it might also be that his frankness is him thinking more about his long-term legacy rather than the next election, and it sounds like he doesn't really want to contest it in the first place.

A bit eye-rolly how he keeps insisting on calling it a "price" though. It's a tax, I get the political calculation there but literally nobody calls it a "price on carbon" or thinks of it as a "price". You tried to brand it that way, it didn't work. It's just corny at this point.

It can be called a 'tax' or a 'price' in the sense that most Canadians receive rebates that offset the cost of the consumer carbon 'tax' anyway. 

What bothers me is the arguments from ignorance about how this pricing works and the lack of interest expressed especially by right wingers and right wing populists. It actually isn't hard.

There are three goods

Without carbon pricing/tax
candy $10
5 liters of gasoline $10
movie ticket $10

With carbon pricing/tax
candy $10
5 liters of gasoline $11
movie ticket $10

Even when people get the rebate, the gasoline is still more expensive which, since all else is equal, means that people are going to buy less gasoline. Obviously it depends on the price elasticity of gasoline which tends to be rather inelastic, but over time, like any other good, it's more elastic.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #3301 on: March 16, 2024, 01:50:27 AM »

I feel like immigration is the third rail of Canadian politics. No one wants to be seen as 'racist' for opposing it, even if Canadians generally oppose it.

I do agree that it will be a big issue in the next election. Poilieve will have to address the issue very carefully. He can't be seen as being racist, but he does risk losing votes to the PPC. I assume Bernier is going to focus his campaign heavily on being anti-immigration and with the Tories assured victory, a lot of people on the far right may feel like voting PPC won't split the vote.

Anecdotally I'm seeing a lot of chatter on places like Reddit about the influx of student immigration from India, and how they're not integrating very well (to put it mildly) on campuses. It's certainly fuelling a lot of racism and xenophobia.   

the ppc are a fringe party

They got 5% of the vote last time. Whether you consider that fringe or not is up to you, but it's significant enough for the Conservatives to worry about losing votes to them.

The Tories nominated Erin O Toole last time though, not Pierre Polievre . Erin O Toole was not liked by many right wingers which is why the PPC was able to do that well

Also, a lot of it was just anti-vaccine stuff which just isn't going to be relevant in 2025.

I think it is true that in the end Erin O'Toole wasn't really trusted by anybody. I think there was a sense with many blue collar union workers that liked his pro private sector union policies that if he got elected Prime Minister and tried to implement those pro union policies that there would be a revolt in his caucus.

I think that was a reason why Doug Ford was able to successfully run on pro private sector union policies and succeed while Erin O'Toole failed.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #3302 on: March 16, 2024, 04:23:38 AM »

What's the reason for the most recent Conservative surge? I checked in on the Wikipedia polls page for the first time since January and boom after stalling for like six months the Conservatives are going up again.

Looking back it seems like many were suggesting a tightening of polling/Liberals regaining momentum, but they are tanking again.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3303 on: March 16, 2024, 05:56:43 PM »

What's the reason for the most recent Conservative surge? I checked in on the Wikipedia polls page for the first time since January and boom after stalling for like six months the Conservatives are going up again.

Looking back it seems like many were suggesting a tightening of polling/Liberals regaining momentum, but they are tanking again.
The Liberals have ran on identity politics only and have only tried to appeal to those in the Prairies by inviting a Waffen SS member to parliament. Absolutely no work being done on housing, rising costs, or even a coherent platform outside of being not Tory.

A whole generation of young people have been radicalized against the Liberals precisely because of their lack of concerns for them and as a way to have some solidarity between them and the immigrants coming in. The Conservatives have adopted PPC rhetoric to fan the flames of division and have been wildly successful in uniting Canadians against the newcomers into a more cultural rather than racial solidarity and antivaxxers into a coherent movement.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #3304 on: March 16, 2024, 06:19:20 PM »

I am not sure what happened that would get a larger Conservative lead.

Maybe it's the spending scandal from the Arrivecan application.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/arrivecan-trudeau-poilievre-pandemic-1.7113057

Or the increase in carbon tax coming and more premiers not liking it.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3305 on: March 16, 2024, 06:25:27 PM »

It should be scarily apparent that any major rally of conservatives have strengthened the conservatives over the liberals in the anglosphere; the Howl of a Protest in New Zealand led to the right adopting said positions and rhetoric to win, the Trucker Convoy and taking the PPC platform has made it easy to hit the LPC when they keep tripping, and Trump is holding up well in the EC and now more to the PV from the hardening of the base from J6.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3306 on: March 16, 2024, 06:28:26 PM »

Ofc, Poilievre wants people to ignore the French & believe that he really did say boring:

The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #3307 on: March 17, 2024, 08:04:12 PM »

Until we see some actual data, it's anyone's guess. I can't think of anything that has significantly changed during the time of this polling surge. Conservatives haven't really changed anything since summer 2023 when they overhauled the leader's image and narrowed down their messaging. There hasn't been a major snafu from LPC these past few months either. Anecdotally, it feels like there's an increasing sense that the Liberals are a lame duck government, and when that happens, a significant % of Canadian voters decide to tepidly cast their lot with whoever the strongest opposition is. And in the minds of many Canadians right now, CPC is not the strongest opposition, it's the only opposition.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #3308 on: March 17, 2024, 10:15:31 PM »

Until we see some actual data, it's anyone's guess. I can't think of anything that has significantly changed during the time of this polling surge. Conservatives haven't really changed anything since summer 2023 when they overhauled the leader's image and narrowed down their messaging. There hasn't been a major snafu from LPC these past few months either. Anecdotally, it feels like there's an increasing sense that the Liberals are a lame duck government, and when that happens, a significant % of Canadian voters decide to tepidly cast their lot with whoever the strongest opposition is. And in the minds of many Canadians right now, CPC is not the strongest opposition, it's the only opposition.

Right now there is only one poll that shows the Conservatives higher than 40% low 40%s.

This is 'Peak Atlas' to make a big deal of one poll.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3309 on: March 18, 2024, 09:10:13 AM »

I feel like immigration is the third rail of Canadian politics. No one wants to be seen as 'racist' for opposing it, even if Canadians generally oppose it.

I do agree that it will be a big issue in the next election. Poilieve will have to address the issue very carefully. He can't be seen as being racist, but he does risk losing votes to the PPC. I assume Bernier is going to focus his campaign heavily on being anti-immigration and with the Tories assured victory, a lot of people on the far right may feel like voting PPC won't split the vote.

Anecdotally I'm seeing a lot of chatter on places like Reddit about the influx of student immigration from India, and how they're not integrating very well (to put it mildly) on campuses. It's certainly fuelling a lot of racism and xenophobia.   

They got 5% of the vote last time. Whether you consider that fringe or not is up to you, but it's significant enough for the Conservatives to worry about losing votes to them.

The Tories nominated Erin O Toole last time though, not Pierre Polievre . Erin O Toole was not liked by many right wingers which is why the PPC was able to do that well

Also, a lot of it was just anti-vaccine stuff which just isn't going to be relevant in 2025.

Sure, but immigration will be an issue in 2025, and they may capitalize on it.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3310 on: March 18, 2024, 10:53:21 AM »

Right now there is only one poll that shows the Conservatives higher than 40% low 40%s.

What, this whole flurry of discussion is based on one single solitary poll?

Genuine lol.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #3311 on: March 18, 2024, 12:37:19 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2024, 01:35:03 PM by Benjamin Frank 2.0 »

Genuine lol.

Yes, it is a Mainstreet Research poll that has the Conservatives at 46%. The day earlier a Nanos tracking poll came out that had the Conservatives dropping from 42.8% to 40.6% in their previous tracking poll. But, just as nothing should be made of one poll that has the Conservatives at 46%, the Conservative drop in the Nanos poll is almost certainly just 'statistical noise' as well.

The interesting thing about the Mainstreet Research poll that maybe caught the eye of the media is that the Conservative rise was the result of the NDP dropping down to 15%. Of course, theoretically that can make sense as people who oppose the Liberals get increasingly annoyed with the NDP for propping them up. However, so far this is just one poll.

The significant takeaway from the polls is that from January 26, excluding the Mainstreet Research, there have been 13 polls (including 6 Nanos polls - but that still leaves 7 others) showing the Conservatives between 40-43% while the Liberals have been between 23-26%. The NDP drop to as low as 16% in a poll released on January 26 but are mostly averaging around 20%. Of course, The federal NDP always ends up a couple points lower than its polls due to having support from voters the least likely to turn out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_45th_Canadian_federal_election
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3312 on: March 18, 2024, 01:32:31 PM »

Mainstreet always has the NDP lower than everyone else.
laddicus finch

« Reply #3313 on: March 18, 2024, 06:47:02 PM »

Mainstreet's 46% was an outlier and generally overestimates CPC support, but even low-40s wasn't the norm a few months ago. Wikipedia's aggregated trends chart is a good resource. CPC had hovered around 35% since Poilievre took over, started surging in summer 2023, and hit a ceiling at 40ish% from roughly Nov-Jan, and now the polling average is in the low-40s. Libs had a slight bounceback in November/December at the NDP's expense, but have been declining since.

I take that the recent "surge" is really just a few points over the course of a month-ish, so yes I admit some of this discussion is typical Atlas overreaction. But it's also not just one poll, the current polling consensus is that CPC has passed the 40% ceiling, albeit by only a few points.
laddicus finch

« Reply #3314 on: March 18, 2024, 06:52:59 PM »

Genuine lol.

It's not. Nobody specifically brought up any solitary poll until Benjamin Frank did. Someone did bring up the Wikipedia polls page, which shows this:

Link (the actual image is too big and messes up the UI)

Is it a massive swing? No, it's a tiny uptick that could just as easily go down. But is it one poll? Also no.
laddicus finch

« Reply #3315 on: March 18, 2024, 07:06:09 PM »

Sure, but immigration will be an issue in 2025, and they may capitalize on it.

True, Bernier did bring up immigration a lot in 2019 but certainly it's a bigger issue now. My instinct is that as long as CPC doesn't basically run on a liberal immigration platform, PPC won't be able to capitalize on it. Conservative voters in this country aren't generally inclined to "shop around" unless the party takes positions completely antithetical to the base.

Hell, even when O'Toole did take those kinds of positions on Conservative hot buttons like the carbon tax, most base-level Conservatives stayed loyal. The PPC's surge was strongest in basically two types of ridings, super-right-wing rurals and populist-type areas like Timmins and Windsor. In the former, the PPC surge almost certainly came from the CPC, but in the latter, it almost certainly did not.
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #3316 on: March 18, 2024, 07:56:17 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2024, 08:03:01 PM by Ontario Tory »

The NDP in Canada just proposed a motion in the House of Commons to recognize a Palestinian state. The NDP MP who proposed it, Heather McPherson, went on the CBC for an interview. She was asked by the interviewer why she proposed it. One of the reasons she cited was; 'Unlike any other issue, I've been hearing from hundreds of thousands of Canadians from coast to coast about this.' I'm convinced that part of the reason why our country is such a mess right now is because hundreds of thousands of Canadians are expending their time and energy on this issue and not the plethora of domestic issues like the cost of living. If hundreds of thousands of Canadians contacted the government about the cost of housing or immigration policy, the issue would be fixed in a day.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #3317 on: March 18, 2024, 09:48:20 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2024, 10:14:45 PM by Benjamin Frank 2.0 »

Genuine lol.

It's not. Nobody specifically brought up any solitary poll until Benjamin Frank did. Someone did bring up the Wikipedia polls page, which shows this:

Link (the actual image is too big and messes up the UI)

Is it a massive swing? No, it's a tiny uptick that could just as easily go down. But is it one poll? Also no.

The poll itself was not brought up but I think it's clear a couple of the comments here were a reference to that poll.

As for the Conservative increase in January, I don't think there is necessarily a rational reason behind it or an incident, when the public individually and collectively decides it's 'time for a change' that's it.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #3318 on: March 18, 2024, 10:18:50 PM »

I think it is true that in the end Erin O'Toole wasn't really trusted by anybody. I think there was a sense with many blue collar union workers that liked his pro private sector union policies that if he got elected Prime Minister and tried to implement those pro union policies that there would be a revolt in his caucus.

I think that was a reason why Doug Ford was able to successfully run on pro private sector union policies and succeed while Erin O'Toole failed.

Maybe it's because Poilievre has a firm grip on the party that nobody seem to complain about supporting the federal anti-scab legislation. I imagine if the party did this under O'Toole he would be called more than a red Tory, like a socialist.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservatives-vote-in-favour-anti-scab-bill-1.7127344

If the legislation comes in effect after the election maybe the Conservatives plan to scrap it. I have a hard time imagining they are for it.
Neo-Malthusian Misanthrope
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #3319 on: March 18, 2024, 11:54:51 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2024, 12:05:04 AM by Independents for... RFK Jr? God help us all »

Maybe it's because Poilievre has a firm grip on the party that nobody seem to complain about supporting the federal anti-scab legislation. I imagine if the party did this under O'Toole he would be called more than a red Tory, like a socialist.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservatives-vote-in-favour-anti-scab-bill-1.7127344

If the legislation comes in effect after the election maybe the Conservatives plan to scrap it. I have a hard time imagining they are for it.

It's textbook populism, just like most centre-right parties are embracing. Peter Pumpkineater wants to eat the NDP's lunch, too, and with them seeming more concerned about Palestinian statehood than working class issues, the time is ripe to do it.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3320 on: March 19, 2024, 06:41:30 AM »

I think the point is surely that until recently, the Canadian Tories were fairly crap at "populism".

If that is now changing - even under a pretty rigid ideologue like PP - that is surely notable.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3321 on: March 19, 2024, 09:34:51 AM »

The NDP in Canada just proposed a motion in the House of Commons to recognize a Palestinian state. The NDP MP who proposed it, Heather McPherson, went on the CBC for an interview. She was asked by the interviewer why she proposed it. One of the reasons she cited was; 'Unlike any other issue, I've been hearing from hundreds of thousands of Canadians from coast to coast about this.' I'm convinced that part of the reason why our country is such a mess right now is because hundreds of thousands of Canadians are expending their time and energy on this issue and not the plethora of domestic issues like the cost of living. If hundreds of thousands of Canadians contacted the government about the cost of housing or immigration policy, the issue would be fixed in a day.

What's happening in the Middle East may not be effecting many Canadians at home, but it's an humanitarian crisis, and Canadians are a compassionate people. Why shouldn't we care about just what's happening in this country? We are all humans after all.
kwabbit

« Reply #3322 on: March 19, 2024, 09:47:50 AM »

I think the point is surely that until recently, the Canadian Tories were fairly crap at "populism".

If that is now changing - even under a pretty rigid ideologue like PP - that is surely notable.

The moment Poilievre took off his glasses the CPC the chances of a CPC majority doubled. To an outside observer, a huge part of why the CPC couldn't seal the deal in 2019 or 2021 was that Trudeau was just so much cooler than the CPC leader. O'Toole was weak and Scheer was awkward. I thought the same when PP was first chosen, since he kind of had an 'angry nerd' persona, but taking the glasses off has elevated his image. Now he comes across as forceful and sharp in comparison to sad divorced Trudeau.
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #3323 on: March 19, 2024, 10:39:06 AM »

What's happening in the Middle East may not be effecting many Canadians at home, but it's an humanitarian crisis, and Canadians are a compassionate people. Why shouldn't we care about just what's happening in this country? We are all humans after all.

It's fine to care about it (though I think the NDP position on this is somewhat misguided). I care about foreign policy a lot as well.

My issue is moreso that this is the only issue that has galvanized hundreds of thousands of Canadians, according to Heather McPherson in the CBC interview, to contact their MPs? Not any domestic issue? What would happen if hundreds of thousands of Canadians contacted their MPs about housing? Maybe something would change.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3324 on: March 19, 2024, 01:30:44 PM »

After the repeal of socialism from the NDP platform, by and large there’s nothing the NDP has to offer to introduce or even seriously advocate for policies that actually matter.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 138 ... 141  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies