Canada General Discussion (2019-)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:17:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (2019-)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 90 ... 141
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion (2019-)  (Read 195740 times)
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2100 on: February 14, 2022, 06:32:26 PM »

This is not the country I grew up in.  Another sad day toward Canada's demise.

Wondering if I need to flee the country soon.  Might go to the UK as my mother was born there, and I believe that's the easiest visa short term.  Any other freedom lovers considering leaving?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2101 on: February 14, 2022, 06:40:14 PM »

Wondering if I need to flee the country soon.  Might go to the UK as my mother was born there, and I believe that's the easiest visa short term.  Any other freedom lovers considering leaving?

Honestly, good riddance.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #2102 on: February 14, 2022, 06:43:09 PM »

Wondering if I need to flee the country soon.  Might go to the UK as my mother was born there, and I believe that's the easiest visa short term.  Any other freedom lovers considering leaving?

Honestly, good riddance.

🖕🤠🖕
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2103 on: February 14, 2022, 06:45:47 PM »

Wondering if I need to flee the country soon.  Might go to the UK as my mother was born there, and I believe that's the easiest visa short term.  Any other freedom lovers considering leaving?

Honestly, good riddance.

Quebec is the worst province in Canada and it sucks that Quebec independence referendum didn’t pass as Canada would be much better off .

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2104 on: February 14, 2022, 06:53:33 PM »

The Failing New York Times

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2105 on: February 14, 2022, 07:39:55 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2022, 07:50:29 PM by Middle-aged Europe »

- and NOW enactment of the War Measures Act to quell largely peaceful protests that the government disagrees with, and has falsely labelled as a "white supremacy uprising" with support from MSM

If you don't see what's happening, you are ignorant.  Wake the hell up.

Well, obviousy I'm not gonna jump into a plane to Ottawa now to confirm for myself what's happening there...

...but in the summer of 2020 I went to observe one of those large-scale anti-lockdown, anti-vaxxer protests with thousands of people in the middle of Berlin. As it turned out, everything looked the way you expected it to look when you had followed the previous reporting of the so-called "MSM" about it.

Most ubiquitous to me, numbering maybe in the dozens, were the Black-White-Red flags of the German Empire of 1871-1918. Since the Swastika itself is banned in Germany, the Black-White-Red tricolour has long been adopted by German neo-Nazis as their symbol. This is mainly because that flag had also been used by the Third Reich in concurrence with the Swastika for a transitional period that had lasted from '33 to '35.

Aside from aforementioned Imperial flag and Germany's actual current national flag, the Black-Red-Yellow tricolour, the most widely seen flags at the protest were in fact the Russian and American ones. I presume this was the case because both Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump are usually held in high regard by people who also tend the fly the Imperial flag of 1871-1918 & 1933-1935 around here. This was pretty much confirmed by the Putin and Trump t-shirts people were wearing at the protest.

In addition to these four flags, there also seemed to be a rather frequent occurence of the letter "Q" at the protest, in the form of t-shirts, on hand-held signs, or as stickers on nearby parking cars. Other participants wore t-shirts with anti-immigration slogans.

It was August 29, 2020... the day when towards the end of that march some of the protesters broke through the police barricades in front of the Reichstag and then waved the Black-White-Red flags on the steps of the German parliament.

Now here's the thing, a couple of days later I happened to get involved in a discussion with a women who had participated in these protests herself. And she insisted that while being there she had not seen a single Black-White-Red flag or other "suspicious" symbol herself and even if they had been there, she added, it wouldn't matter anyway because what counts is to get rid of the COVID restrictions. I guess reality is what we want to see and at the end of the day the ends always justify the means.

So, like I said in the beginning, I've have not been to Canada myself. But since COVID restrictions have always been somewhat similar all over the world I must assume that the same is true, one way or the other, for the protests against them too.

As the poster Dabbing Santa so fittingly said: If you don't see what's happening, you are ignorant. Wake the hell up.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2106 on: February 14, 2022, 08:34:30 PM »

Impeach Trudeau !!
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2107 on: February 14, 2022, 08:56:19 PM »

There is no impeachment in Canada, which means that you are supporting an unconstitutional coup against the elected Canadian government.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2108 on: February 14, 2022, 09:10:31 PM »

There is no impeachment in Canada, which means that you are supporting an unconstitutional coup against the elected Canadian government.

Yeah, the point when the government is suspending civil liberties, using measures designed for wartime or response to large-scale terrorist actions, is the point when this sort of thing starts to become thinkable. The silver lining, I suppose, is that in 1970 Quebec was only 6 years away from 1976, so perhaps Canada is only 6 years away from reappraisal too.

My understanding is that this measure is going to enable the seizure of bank accounts and crowdfunding proceeds, which is entirely unacceptable even if we were dealing with literal Stalinists or Nazis. Money is speech.
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #2109 on: February 14, 2022, 09:11:32 PM »

The country of Canada is in a major major economic decline. These protests while starting off as anti vax mandates are indicative of larger problems in the country. The housing market, jobs, taxes, and cost of living have reached a breaking point. While I'm vaccinated I oppose mandates. I support the truckers in front of Ottawa who are peacefully protesting with BBQ's pancake breakfasts and street concerts.

Now while i support the removal of protesters who block borders and bridges, this emergency act invocation is not warranted. The premiers of MB AB SK and QC have all voiced opposition to this. Furthurmore, govts rarely give up powers once obtained and this ability to freeze accounts control who can donate to what and where is tyrannical. Attacks on decentralized finance are wrong and the govt should not be doing this. The simple fact is these style of protests will continue in canada because it is a broken country with an increasingly worse standard of living year by year. My familys been here for over 20 years and this country is not the one they came too. We can only hope for better days.
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #2110 on: February 14, 2022, 09:13:14 PM »

Ehh wrong language on his part but the sentiment is correct. Vote non confidence in trudeau!
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #2111 on: February 14, 2022, 09:15:15 PM »

Honestly, good riddance.

Honestly these kinda statements demonstrate the lack of clarity canadians have. Dabbingsanta like many cdns leaving the country is symbolic of the brain drain in canada. Hes lucky that hes got british roots as a fall back. Then again if i have to live in a squatted prison cell condo why freeze in the winter. India looks pretty good!
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2112 on: February 14, 2022, 09:17:30 PM »

Whether or not this is justified will be decided by courts, people who are much more versed in law than any of us here. My sense though is that Trudeau's pushing the limits of what's acceptable. The difference between this and the WMA being invoked by Trudeau Sr is that, as far as I know, no premier has asked for it, and while blockading key infrastructure like the Ambassador Bridge is not okay, police has been successful in pushing back non-violently and allowing the free flow of goods and people, and this is nowhere near October Crisis levels.

Yes, that's a key point. No diplomats have been kidnapped, no cabinet ministers have turned up murdered in car trunks like in the October Crisis. This well falls well short
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2113 on: February 14, 2022, 09:29:11 PM »

1) Thinking objectively, a state cannot tolerate the capital and the border being held hostage by protestors. The state must regain control of the country and reassert the rule of law.

2) When you take a minority group and say you’re not allowed to earn a living, you’re not allowed to enter into public facilities, and you’re not even allowed to leave our jurisdiction, while simultaneously having sympathetic-to-government courts deny what are very clearly enumerated rights, you have to expect a backlash.

Our various levels of government have created second class citizenship overnight and apparently expected these people to take it lying down. It’s a miracle that the government has managed to avoid out and out riots.

3) The government and various police forces have taken a lacksadasical approach to illegal blockades for nearly decade now going back to the Caledonia crisis. People notice these things, and not just people the government sympathizes with.

4) So the government trying to regain control of the country is obviously justified. But their entirely unjustifiable actions and arrogant approach leading up to now, as well as mismanagement of previous protests played a huge part bringing this upon thenselves.

/fin
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2114 on: February 14, 2022, 09:57:53 PM »

Western Canada should secede and The US should help them become their own nation
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2115 on: February 14, 2022, 10:04:00 PM »

Western Canada should secede and The US should help them become their own nation

They never would, as British Columbia wouldn't follow them and the new country would be landlocked.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2116 on: February 14, 2022, 10:10:45 PM »

The Liberals can oust him as Party Leader at any time. Also, it's a minority government, so 50% of parliament (combination of other parties) can vote "no confidence" in the current government and force an election.
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #2117 on: February 14, 2022, 10:13:57 PM »

1) Thinking objectively, a state cannot tolerate the capital and the border being held hostage by protestors. The state must regain control of the country and reassert the rule of law.

2) When you take a minority group and say you’re not allowed to earn a living, you’re not allowed to enter into public facilities, and you’re not even allowed to leave our jurisdiction, while simultaneously having sympathetic-to-government courts deny what are very clearly enumerated rights, you have to expect a backlash.

Our various levels of government have created second class citizenship overnight and apparently expected these people to take it lying down. It’s a miracle that the government has managed to avoid out and out riots.

3) The government and various police forces have taken a lacksadasical approach to illegal blockades for nearly decade now going back to the Caledonia crisis. People notice these things, and not just people the government sympathizes with.

4) So the government trying to regain control of the country is obviously justified. But their entirely unjustifiable actions and arrogant approach leading up to now, as well as mismanagement of previous protests played a huge part bringing this upon thenselves.

/fin

Couldn't agree more. Not sure if the Emergencies Act was necessary, and the freezing of bank accounts is a worrying precedent - but something had to be done. There's a line between freedom and anarchy - a government that cannot maintain order is one that cannot hold a country together, and failed states are rarely "free" for the vast majority.

At the same time, the fact that the federal government hasn't even pondered the idea of re-evaluating their vaccination strategy is appalling. Provinces are lifting many of the public health measures - not just premiers like Moe and Kenney who have always been more inclined to those views and have a more libertarian public to win over, but even Ford and Legault are relaxing restrictions.

Ontario and Quebec - two of the most restrictive jurisdictions for most of the pandemic - are loosening restrictions. And it's not a matter of "appeasing anti-vaxxers" when that's what the public health officers are recommending.

Look where vaccine mandates have gotten us. Near-90% vaccination rates? Great! We're on top of the world. The trade-off has been a group of people who have been demonized by the government at every turn, and have forced the capital city to a standstill. To the point that the PM is invoking a never-before invoked act. The predecessor to this act was imposed during literal world wars, as well as to fight a violent domestic terrorist group. Vax rates ain't getting much higher. So let's stop the mandates and shift our focus to rebuilding.

Look, I don't think Trudeau is a tyrant. I do think he's cripplingly stubborn and sees himself as a man of right and reason, and his opponents fall on some spectrum between naive (to his left) and evil (to his right). His party now has the weakest popular mandate of any Canadian government, ever, but his reluctance to listen to voices outside the PMO is worse than even Harper's - ironically, this was one of the arguments Trudeau used to defeat Harper.

Canadian politics has gotten so exhaustingly stupid, COVID has effectively broken all our brains. I support him trying to restore order, although the tactics will have to be reviewed afterwards, and if courts find wrongdoing, compensation should be paid. So yes, restore order, get this mess under control, you dips---. I voted Liberal enthusiastically in 2015, less so in 2019, in 2021 I just barely did. When the next election comes, I sure as hell won't be.

Sigh. Rant over.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #2118 on: February 14, 2022, 10:20:20 PM »

Honestly, good riddance.

Honestly these kinda statements demonstrate the lack of clarity canadians have. Dabbingsanta like many cdns leaving the country is symbolic of the brain drain in canada.

Brain drain? If anything the average IQ of Canada would increase.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2119 on: February 14, 2022, 10:27:28 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2022, 10:33:00 PM by Storr »

They never would, as British Columbia wouldn't follow them and the new country would be landlocked.
Yeah, Wexit has always been a nutty right-wing fantasy. Leaving an international trading bloc and actual secession from a country are two very different things. When it comes to the US relationship with Canada, it has long been policy to support a strong united Canada. I can’t think of any benefits the US would gain from Western or Quebec independence.

Relatedly, I’ve long been in favor of some kind of EU-like US-Canada open borders agreement/union. Obviously the business community and establishment would be in favor of such an arrangement. The only reason I could see it facing significant opposition from either side would be due to Canadian anti-Americanism related
fears about large numbers of Americans moving north and impacting/watering down Canadian culture.
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #2120 on: February 14, 2022, 11:15:26 PM »

Trudeau is unbelievably based rn
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2121 on: February 14, 2022, 11:24:16 PM »

If being a fascist is based then you are right . Hopefully more truckers join in and start a general strike against  this fascist wannabe
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2122 on: February 14, 2022, 11:27:56 PM »

If being a fascist is based then you are right . Hopefully more truckers join in and start a general strike against  this fascist wannabe
Trump was 100x the fascist that Trudeau has even been or will ever be.
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #2123 on: February 14, 2022, 11:29:22 PM »

Yeah, Wexit has always been a nutty right-wing fantasy. Leaving an international trading bloc and actual secession from a country are two very different things. When it comes to the US relationship with Canada, it has long been policy to support a strong united Canada. I can’t think of any benefits the US would gain from Western or Quebec independence.

Relatedly, I’ve long been in favor of some kind of EU-like US-Canada open borders agreement/union. Obviously the business community and establishment would be in favor of such an arrangement. The only reason I could see it facing significant opposition from either side would be due to Canadian anti-Americanism related
fears about large numbers of Americans moving north and impacting/watering down Canadian culture.

Wexit is overated what we really need is a wexit combined with union with the united states to maintain ocean access and then annex british columbia too. Heck im not even asking for a pathway to citizenship like the illegals pouring in the southern border I'll take US territorial status like guam or puerto rico, so we can get "US Nationals" status which is basically green card status
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #2124 on: February 14, 2022, 11:35:06 PM »

That is blatantly false LMAO.

was it trump who fired his attorney general to hide the corruption of SNC Lavalin?
was it trump who fired lost his finance minister to scandal, his defense minister who had to be demoted
was it trump who invoked the US insurrection act against actual rioters?
was it trump who didnt produce a federal budget for 2 years?
was it trump who brought a terrorist/murderer to his india trip?

Nope all were the cdn turd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNnVD_tLDzg
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 90 ... 141  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies