Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:35:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 362672 times)
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2000 on: May 30, 2020, 04:55:30 PM »

It's definitely over for Klobouchar.

Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #2001 on: May 30, 2020, 04:59:13 PM »

Val Demings is relatively unknown outside of the Orlando area. She's not going to help Biden win Florida and Biden doesn't need to win Florida.

I seriously don't know why you guys just like to say random things.

Not to mention that one recent Florida poll only had demings at like 3% on their VP selection, meaning she's clearly not known by Florida at large.

All the hype for Demings is coming from white liberals who are convinced black skin = supercharged black turnout. These people conveniently ignore any other circumstances or demographic details that play into that. It’s pretty surface-level analysis and I hope Biden and his team are smarter than that.

Obama worked because he excited young and old black voters, male and female. Biden already excites old black voters, and those are the ones that would be happy with Officer Demings. Old black voters are law & order conservatives.

Biden should be worried about black voters under 30. They’re the ones out protesting rn, and they would absolutely not be excited by Val Demings. Black women love him, old black people love him. Young voters are “okay” with him. What pundits and more than a few posters on here fail to realize is that they don’t care that the candidate looks like them, they care about the policies they espouse. That’s why they supported Bernie & Warren over Harris & Biden.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2002 on: May 30, 2020, 05:29:08 PM »

Val Demings is relatively unknown outside of the Orlando area. She's not going to help Biden win Florida and Biden doesn't need to win Florida.

Trying to circle the wagons around any non-Kamala Black woman.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #2003 on: May 30, 2020, 06:01:45 PM »

Not to mention that one recent Florida poll only had demings at like 3% on their VP selection, meaning she's clearly not known by Florida at large.

All the hype for Demings is coming from white liberals who are convinced black skin = supercharged black turnout. These people conveniently ignore any other circumstances or demographic details that play into that. It’s pretty surface-level analysis and I hope Biden and his team are smarter than that.

Obama worked because he excited young and old black voters, male and female. Biden already excites old black voters, and those are the ones that would be happy with Officer Demings. Old black voters are law & order conservatives.

Biden should be worried about black voters under 30. They’re the ones out protesting rn, and they would absolutely not be excited by Val Demings. Black women love him, old black people love him. Young voters are “okay” with him. What pundits and more than a few posters on here fail to realize is that they don’t care that the candidate looks like them, they care about the policies they espouse. That’s why they supported Bernie & Warren over Harris & Biden.

Yeah, Harris has all the pitfalls Demings has though too. Blacks will be 13% of the electorate and 18-29 maybe 15% of this 13%. That is around 2% of the total U.S. electorate. Winning 90% of this group vs 75% of this group seems like a lot but it is a 0.3% difference. Bad for Biden if it is  super close, a blip if he scores the numbers with suburban whites he currently is.
dunceDude
United States

« Reply #2004 on: May 30, 2020, 06:21:42 PM »

You're not really acting in good faith here, though. If we wanna have a conversation about Harris vs. Demings, we can, but you're literally basically just saying 10 things that Demings has going for and ignoring anything that Harris may have going for her.

Because my post was only meant to draw out one Demings/Harris contrast that I thought would deepen the discussion, you are going it to find it lacking if you expect a comprehensive pros/cons discussion. I could have introduced the topic better.

Val Demings is relatively unknown outside of the Orlando area.

The Orlando metro area is 3 million people in a state won by 115k votes. She will also become much better known between Aug 1 and Nov 3.

She's not going to help Biden win Florida and Biden doesn't need to win Florida.

Florida was the 4th closest GOP-won state in 2016 (1.20% margin), only .42% redder than Wisconsin. We've also already seen polling suggesting older voters may be moving D, and Florida has the oldest residents in the country. Demings would help him win, the only question is if it's not as much as you'd like.
dunceDude
United States

« Reply #2005 on: May 30, 2020, 06:55:15 PM »

If you want to talk about how Demings is a cop and that bothers you, feel free. That seems like what you want to talk about. But people posting in favor of Demings like the fact she's black representation on the ticket, appreciate that she's from a swing state, and think she has a life story that fits Joe's public image and projects a relatability that is an asset.

Turnout among older black voters is not stagnant, even if they support him overwhelmingly. One thing Demings supporters (or at least me) believes is that the affiliation with Obama will NOT be enough for Biden among black voters writ large, especially if he's perceived to be coasting on it.

This is a good point. Two things:

- There's no natural fit for the young black left. Abrams and Pressley, I guess (If Stacy had won in 2018, I'd be 100% behind her as VP). Pressley should be in the conversation more. I know you could probably list all the important wonderful things they've done on the local level, but are voters nuanced enough to figure that out in the 48-72 hours after the VP is picked? Because that's when the narrative will be set.

- Activists want unpopular things and moreso than appealing to moderates or black voters, appeasing them can drain support elsewhere. Saying this as a Warren --> Bernie --> Biden primary voter.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2006 on: May 30, 2020, 06:57:24 PM »

Nah bro I heard young people never vote so why bother trying to reach out?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2007 on: May 30, 2020, 07:09:35 PM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/28/cortez-masto-withdraws-biden-vp-consideration-287923

Nevada Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto said Thursday she does not want to be presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden’s vice presidential pick.

“It is an honor to be considered as a potential running mate, but I have decided to withdraw my name from consideration," she said in a statement. “Nevada's economy is one of the hardest hit by the current crisis and I will continue to focus on getting Nevadans the support they need to get back on their feet.”

Her withdrawal comes as the scrutiny intensifies around whom Biden will pull onto his presidential ticket. She was one of several women suggested as a possible running mate.

Cortez Masto, 56, served as Nevada's attorney general in 2006 — a role that meant working with Beau Biden, who was then Delaware's attorney general. In 2016, she became the first Latina elected to the U.S. Senate.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2008 on: May 30, 2020, 07:17:30 PM »

This is relatively old news.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2009 on: May 30, 2020, 07:17:47 PM »

This was listed a couple days ago
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2010 on: May 30, 2020, 07:39:10 PM »

Mayor of Atlanta looking strong tonight.  Folks generally don't consider mayoral experience to be as qualifying as congressman/senator/governor, but we live in interesting times. 

If she doesn't understand the anger, how people feel the system doesn't work, she won't heal the divide.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2011 on: May 30, 2020, 07:43:39 PM »

Mayor of Atlanta looking strong tonight.  Folks generally don't consider mayoral experience to be as qualifying as congressman/senator/governor, but we live in interesting times. 

If she doesn't understand the anger, how people feel the system doesn't work, she won't heal the divide.

How on earth did you gather that she doesn't understand the anger from watching that?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2012 on: May 30, 2020, 07:47:58 PM »

Her words.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2013 on: May 30, 2020, 07:51:03 PM »

How on earth did you gather that she doesn't understand the anger from watching that?

Well, suggesting they register the vote when the police system is designed to prevent that is not promising.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2014 on: May 30, 2020, 07:53:12 PM »

The Unexpected Case for a Susan Rice Vice Presidency

Joe Biden’s concern about the national-security impact of the coronavirus has led him to weigh picking the Obama-administration national security adviser Susan Rice as his running mate, according to several people who’ve spoken privately with the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee in recent weeks.

Rice is well known in Washington, but has a much lower national profile than most of the other women being considered, and comes with few conventional political upsides. She isn’t particularly likely to be selected, people inside the campaign say (some who have spoken about her with Biden see her as a more likely pick for secretary of defense or secretary of state), and Rice has told confidants that she knows that.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/05/biden-vice-president-susan-rice/612115/

Also, from that story, Rice’s comments on whether she’d take the job:

Rice told me that she’s ready to be picked, if that’s where this process lands.

“I am honored, honestly, and I’m humbled that I might be being considered,” she said, “and I really truly care only about doing all I can to get Joe Biden elected and Donald Trump retired, because I truly deeply believe that the fate of our country depends on it.” She added, “I’ll help in whatever way I can and if that’s licking envelopes and raising money, that’s fine, and if it’s serving in a much more senior capacity, if that’s what Vice President Biden thinks makes sense, that’s fine, too.”
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2015 on: May 30, 2020, 07:53:35 PM »

Mayor of Atlanta looking strong tonight.  Folks generally don't consider mayoral experience to be as qualifying as congressman/senator/governor, but we live in interesting times.  

Well, suggesting they register the vote when the police system is designed to prevent that is not promising.
You need to register to vote to be able to vote in DA elections don't you?
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #2016 on: May 30, 2020, 08:05:47 PM »

Makes one wonder why she didn’t want to go through the vetting process.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2017 on: May 30, 2020, 08:07:26 PM »

Good. If Biden is elected, the 2022 midterms will be bad for Democrats. We'd have a better chance of holding her seat if we have the incumbent running.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2018 on: May 30, 2020, 08:16:15 PM »

Good. If Biden is elected, the 2022 midterms will be bad for Democrats. We'd have a better chance of holding her seat if we have the incumbent running.

I mean, not super much? The map is very good for Democrats https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_United_States_Senate_elections

New Mexico is safe anyway.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #2019 on: May 30, 2020, 08:18:39 PM »

I mean, not super much? The map is very good for Democrats https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_United_States_Senate_elections

New Mexico Nevada is safe anyway.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2020 on: May 30, 2020, 08:50:25 PM »

New Mexico? She's from Nevada lol.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2021 on: May 30, 2020, 08:55:39 PM »

The Unexpected Case for a Susan Rice Vice Presidency

Joe Biden’s concern about the national-security impact of the coronavirus has led him to weigh picking the Obama-administration national security adviser Susan Rice as his running mate, according to several people who’ve spoken privately with the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee in recent weeks.

Rice is well known in Washington, but has a much lower national profile than most of the other women being considered, and comes with few conventional political upsides. She isn’t particularly likely to be selected, people inside the campaign say (some who have spoken about her with Biden see her as a more likely pick for secretary of defense or secretary of state), and Rice has told confidants that she knows that.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/05/biden-vice-president-susan-rice/612115/

Also, from that story, Rice’s comments on whether she’d take the job:

Rice told me that she’s ready to be picked, if that’s where this process lands.

“I am honored, honestly, and I’m humbled that I might be being considered,” she said, “and I really truly care only about doing all I can to get Joe Biden elected and Donald Trump retired, because I truly deeply believe that the fate of our country depends on it.” She added, “I’ll help in whatever way I can and if that’s licking envelopes and raising money, that’s fine, and if it’s serving in a much more senior capacity, if that’s what Vice President Biden thinks makes sense, that’s fine, too.”

Go away Susan Rice!
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2022 on: May 30, 2020, 09:27:12 PM »

New Mexico? She's from Nevada lol.

Oh wait nevermind I was confusing her with someone else.

But NV is also safe.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2023 on: May 30, 2020, 10:08:02 PM »

The month of May will soon come to a close, so here’s a brief recap of what we’ve learned in May.  Recall that it was only in early May that the vetting (that is, the vetting that actually requires participation from the veep candidates themselves) actually began, and I feel like it’s only roughly since early May that we have useful hints as to who in the mix.

I’ll go over some of the reporting posted in this thread (and this is incomplete…feel free to supplement it with other sources if you like) about cases where either 1) Biden himself says someone is being considered, 2) a veep candidate herself either says she’s talked to the campaign about the vice presidency *or* refuses to answer the question about whether they’ve done so, or 3) some kind of purported “insider” report comments on who is being vetted.

First, various stories (not sure I need to list them all) have claimed that Harris, Klobuchar, and Warren are in the mix, though I think Harris is the only one of those who’s been asked if she’s being vetted within the last month:

Harris won’t talk about whether she’s being vetted: https://twitter.com/tperry518/status/1258503633693483010

As for others…

Biden publicly says that Demings is one of “close to a dozen” women who are “on the list”: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/496717-biden-says-ex-house-impeachment-manager-val-demings-among-potential-vp

Baldwin says she’s in “regular contact” with Biden, and won’t comment on whether she’s discussed being veep: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tammy-baldwin-joe-biden-vp-candidate-meat-industry/

Durbin says that Duckworth will soon be interviewed for the job: https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-tammy-duckworth-joe-biden-richard-durbin-20200515-gxj2pn6jnffrdncazxi4gon3ji-story.html

And then shortly thereafter, Duckworth is asked if she’s being vetted, and she dodges: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDP9z3YYX1I

Whitmer has publicly said that she’s had the “opening conversation” with the Biden team about a vet: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/05/19/whitmer-says-shes-had-opening-conversation-vp-potential/5219350002/

WMUR says that sources in the know say that Hassan is being vetted, and she gives a no comment: https://www.wmur.com/article/both-nh-senators-invited-to-initial-interviews-for-biden-vp-slot-hassan-agrees-shaheen-declines/32630813

Susan Rice: Story in The Atlantic says Biden team is considering her:

Charles Gasparino of Fox Business says Gina Raimondo is being considered:
https://twitter.com/CGasparino/status/1265724758169174016

CCM: Dropped out of the process:
https://twitter.com/edokeefe/status/1266128911949324288

Maybe the most prominent veep name I’ve not mentioned in this post yet is Abrams.  She’s definitely done her share of self promoting, but I don’t think there’s been any reporting in the past month suggesting that she’s being vetted.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #2024 on: May 30, 2020, 10:31:08 PM »

This is the third time I've had to merge this into its relevant megathread.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies