Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 12:47:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 91 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 364791 times)
Pulaski

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2125 on: June 04, 2020, 07:34:49 AM »

It's Harris. Recent events have made it almost certain that Biden picks an African-American woman, and Demings offers absolutely nothing that Harris doesn't also. Harris ain't the best, but also definitely ain't the worst.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2126 on: June 04, 2020, 07:36:22 AM »

Hassan above Abrams. Raimondo above Whitmer. Ouch.

Anyways, I get these things are subjective, but that list seems fair. I'd be excited for Duckworth tbh, but I'm not sure how high she is on Biden's list. We've heard next to nothing about the campaign vetting her, right?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2127 on: June 04, 2020, 09:26:32 AM »

SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2128 on: June 04, 2020, 09:34:12 AM »

Keisha Lance Bottoms seems like an excellent choice. From her Wikipedia page, I don't see the downside. She will buoy Black turnout enough to put MI and PA over the top for sure, more than enough to offset the Trump vote in rural Northern Michigan and the Thumb (which was pretty maxxed out for Trump, anyway). Her pick also puts AZ, FL, GA, and NC in play, possibly tipping 3 or more of these states (only one is needed, after MI and PA).
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2129 on: June 04, 2020, 09:36:16 AM »

Welp, there's the answer to my post right above this. I think Rice, Whitmer, Klobuchar, and Abrams are unlikely at this point. So down to KLB, Demings, Harris, and Warren?

But it's safe to say that Warren, Harris, Demings, KLB, and maybe Abrams are the most likely candidates at this point, right?

I will now accept my accolades.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #2130 on: June 04, 2020, 09:42:33 AM »

Rice and Klobuchar are objectively bad picks for him. Demings is still too much of a risk with her career as not only a cop, but the top cop.

Whitmer needs to stay and steer her state through this pandemic, and Abrams sh**t herself in the foot with all the overt campaigning, especially with her lack of federal or statewide experience.

I don’t know enough about Lance-Bottoms, but her along with Harris and Warren would be the best choices for him by process of elimination.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2131 on: June 04, 2020, 10:15:45 AM »

I love Harris, but I'd also be really satisfied with Lance-Bottoms (and I think you'd definitely have to make the signs Biden/Lance-Bottoms). She doesn't have as much experience, but she also has come off VERY good during all of this, and doesn't seem to carry a lot of baggage since she does have less experience than the others.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2132 on: June 04, 2020, 10:17:48 AM »

Joe & Keisha for America would be a good way around that
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2133 on: June 04, 2020, 10:21:14 AM »

Some people in those comments are really OK with Susan Rice being VP? Ugh, no wonder people rant about "moderate/centrist" Democrats.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2134 on: June 04, 2020, 10:25:43 AM »

Rice and Klobuchar are objectively bad picks for him. Demings is still too much of a risk with her career as not only a cop, but the top cop.
Demings was the superintendent of a fairly large police department, but she is not the VP candidate who declared herself the "top cop."
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #2135 on: June 04, 2020, 10:54:33 AM »

Demings was the superintendent of a fairly large police department, but she is not the VP candidate who declared herself the "top cop."

Chief of Police is the top cop in Orlando. She doesn’t have to declare herself that, it’s the only thing in her bio that gives her “experience” aside from barely 2 terms in the house.
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #2136 on: June 04, 2020, 11:01:54 AM »

Why are the top prospects all cops and prosecutors? So sad.

If only Elizabeth Warren weren't white. If only Stacy Abrams had *one* extra line on her resume.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2137 on: June 04, 2020, 11:13:35 AM »

What's wrong with a *good* prosecutor? Why are you mad at Kamala Harris for locking up sex offenders and child molestors? Holding banks accountable and securing billions of dollars for California residents? Helping CA become the first state to throw out the trans panic defense? Redirecting non violent offenders away from prison and into programs that gave them skills to seek employment? Working with agencies to make sure the formerly incarcerated didn't recidivate?

Is Keith Ellison a cop or nah? With no evidence that Kamala Harris ever used her position to unfairly target and prosecute marginalized communities, I still fail to understand the irrational dislike.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #2138 on: June 04, 2020, 12:06:38 PM »

Larry Sabato has Crystal Ball's ranking of possible VP picks up.  

1. Sen. Kamala Harris
2. Rep. Val Demings
3. Sen. Tammy Duckworth
4. Sen. Elizabeth Warren
5. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
6. Gov. Gina Raimondo
7. Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham
8. Gov. Gretchen Whitmer
9. Sen. Maggie Hassan
10. Stacy Abrams

Raimondo being ranked No. 6 is a joke.  The rest looks at least somewhat plausible.

Sabato notes:

When we compiled this list, the three of us each did separate rankings independently of one another, which we then used as the basis for our collective list. While the lists differed substantially in many ways, all three of us had Harris listed in the top position.

http://centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/the-veepstakes-handicapping-bidens-choices/
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2139 on: June 04, 2020, 12:29:40 PM »

Larry Sabato has Crystal Ball's ranking of possible VP picks up.  

1. Sen. Kamala Harris
2. Rep. Val Demings
3. Sen. Tammy Duckworth
4. Sen. Elizabeth Warren
5. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
6. Gov. Gina Raimondo
7. Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham
8. Gov. Gretchen Whitmer
9. Sen. Maggie Hassan
10. Stacy Abrams

Raimondo being ranked No. 6 is a joke.  The rest looks at least somewhat plausible.

Sabato notes:

When we compiled this list, the three of us each did separate rankings independently of one another, which we then used as the basis for our collective list. While the lists differed substantially in many ways, all three of us had Harris listed in the top position.

http://centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/the-veepstakes-handicapping-bidens-choices/

After her coronavirus jewellery stunt, Lujan Grisham is an even worse choice than Raimondo.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2140 on: June 04, 2020, 12:36:47 PM »

If we could appoint someone Vice President, I'd probably pick Susan Rice.

But alas, electability is important. And so is experience.

And the only person who fits both is Kamala Harris.

Biden/Harris 2020
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2141 on: June 04, 2020, 12:44:38 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2020, 12:57:03 PM by New Frontier »

Biden/Harris 2020
I agree with you on Harris.

However, why in the world would you support Susan Rice? What is appealing about Susan Rice? She would be a HORRIBLE VP pick.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2142 on: June 04, 2020, 12:46:03 PM »

Biden/Harris 2020

How is Rice, someone who was at Cabinet level for 8 years, less experienced than a former state AG who has only been in the Senate minority for 4? How is Harris "the only person" who is both electable (this is questionable in her case anyway) and sufficiently experienced?
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2143 on: June 04, 2020, 12:48:34 PM »

How is KLB not electable and  experience? Some states are smaller than Atlanta
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2144 on: June 04, 2020, 12:51:59 PM »

How is KLB not electable and  experience? Some states are smaller than Atlanta
The population of Atlanta is around 500,000. It's smaller than Wyoming.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #2145 on: June 04, 2020, 12:58:48 PM »

Sen. Harris and Rep. Demings backgrounds in prosecution and law enforcement might be a weakness in the context of the Democratic Primary, but a general election is a different ball game.  We are no longer only playing to the base.  And historically, it has been common and sometimes easy to paint Democrats as "soft on crime," especially black Democrats.  But Harris and Demings backgrounds cut against that.  Their life experience working in the system but also having first-hand experience with racial and gender discrimination might actually help them navigate between activists demanding justice for police violence and a general electorate who wants security.

Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #2146 on: June 04, 2020, 01:08:39 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2020, 01:18:37 PM by Coldstream »

Biden/Harris 2020

How is Rice, someone who was at Cabinet level for 8 years, less experienced than a former state AG who has only been in the Senate minority for 4? How is Harris "the only person" who is both electable (this is questionable in her case anyway) and sufficiently experienced?

They are talking about politically experienced. Rice has never run for office before. When was the last time a VP candidate’s first run for office was as VP? Sargent Shriver? Henry Wallace?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2147 on: June 04, 2020, 01:14:59 PM »

Rice would literally make no sense. Not to mention, it would be TOO "Obama Admin"-y.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2148 on: June 04, 2020, 01:18:40 PM »

They are talking about politically experienced. Rice has never run for office before. When was the last time a VP candidate’s first run for office was as VP? Has that happened ever?
Sargent Shriver in '72 had never held elected office. He's the only one in recent memory, though both H.W. Bush and Cheney had been out of elected office for more than a decade when they became VP. There's also Stockdale and LeMay, if you want to count either of them as major VP candidates.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #2149 on: June 04, 2020, 01:20:10 PM »

They are talking about politically experienced. Rice has never run for office before. When was the last time a VP candidate’s first run for office was as VP? Has that happened ever?
Sargent Shriver in '72 had never held elected office. He's the only one in recent memory, though both H.W. Bush and Cheney had been out of elected office for more than a decade when they became VP. There's also Stockdale and LeMay, if you want to count either of them as major VP candidates.

Yeah I edited it when I thought of him, Henry Wallace in 1940 too. But the point is it’s been a long time. Also 1972 was exceptional circumstances.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 91 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies