Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 04:38:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 361644 times)
Pulaski

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1750 on: May 26, 2020, 12:29:10 AM »

There's no asset Demings has that Kamala doesn't have at least as much, if not more of.

Both black women.
More experience? Harris
Won statewide? Harris
Held higher office? Harris
More name recognition? Harris

Locked up Poor people and then bragged about it? Harris
Attacked Biden during the campaign? Harris
Not from a Swing state? Harris

VP picks don't really help a lot on winning their home states anymore. VP picks don't really do a whole lot of anything electorally, aside from maybe framing perceptions of the ticket overall (and then only slightly). Dem nominees do increasingly have to try and bridge the racial diversity within the party, though; I previously thought Biden may not have to worry about this so much, given he seemingly has strong support in the AA community, but his interview gaffe may nudge him in that direction.

For me, I'd breeze past any more superficial concerns and focus on the main criterion: who is best placed to be a strong nominee 4 years from now, and a great future president? Harris is definitely qualified, but I think Baldwin, Warren and Duckworth are more qualified, and Cortez Masto has virtually identical experience. Baldwin and Duckworth don't seem to be high on the radar, unfortunately, and although Warren's the dream, she old.

Governors aren't usually selected as Dem running mates anyway, and I think with COVID persisting, I can't see Whitmer or Lujan Grisham abandoning their states only 2 years into their first terms. I particularly think with Whitmer, not enough has been made of how she'd be leaving Michigan in the hands of a 38 year-old with no prior political experience. I think CCM is a better pick than Lujan Grisham if Biden's trying to shore up support in the Latino community. Her record as Nevada's AG may be an issue though - she tried at one point to defend the state's SSM ban.

For me, if he's not interested in Baldwin or Duckworth, Biden is looking at a final 4:

1. Elizabeth Warren
2. Kamala Harris
3. Amy Klobuchar (please god no)
4. Catherine Cortez Masto (I don't know if he's seriously looking at her, but she offers something others lower on the list don't).

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1751 on: May 26, 2020, 01:42:43 PM »

Biden should cross off Demings and Klobuchar with the Minnesota cop problem. I don't think Black Lives Matter would tolerate it.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1752 on: May 26, 2020, 01:54:59 PM »

Biden should cross off Demings and Klobuchar with the Minnesota cop problem. I don't think Black Lives Matter would tolerate it.

I wonder why someone with your analytical skills hasn't still replaced Cillizza at CNN.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1753 on: May 26, 2020, 02:39:07 PM »

I wonder why someone with your analytical skills hasn't still replaced Cillizza at CNN.
Its the truth. Warren, Whitmer, Bottoms, Lujan Grisham and Susan Rice should be the final shortlist.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1754 on: May 26, 2020, 02:51:51 PM »

Dumb question from a white guy: How appealing would a Warren VP pick be to communities of color and black and brown party leaders?
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1755 on: May 26, 2020, 03:09:41 PM »

Dumb question from a white guy: How appealing would a Warren VP pick be to communities of color and black and brown party leaders?

By the numbers: Black voters in Michigan and Wisconsin picked Abrams as their favorite hypothetical running mate for Biden, at 36% and 38%, respectively.

While Klobuchar is popular among voters overall in these states, she got just 12% support from black voters in Michigan and 20% from black voters in Wisconsin.

Harris underperformed with black voters in Michigan (22%) relative to her overall support in these two states, and she did 10 percentage points better with black voters in Wisconsin.

Warren earned the most consistent support among the group, in the low 30s among black voters in both states.

Abrams’ performance without being a sitting senator or having just run for president, shows potential to build a broad coalition and turn out voters.

https://www.axios.com/vice-president-women-color-warren-poll-biden-c75d2901-aead-424c-a5b1-a987ab312c6c.html
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1756 on: May 26, 2020, 03:10:58 PM »

By the numbers: Black voters in Michigan and Wisconsin picked Abrams as their favorite hypothetical running mate for Biden, at 36% and 38%, respectively.

While Klobuchar is popular among voters overall in these states, she got just 12% support from black voters in Michigan and 20% from black voters in Wisconsin.

Harris underperformed with black voters in Michigan (22%) relative to her overall support in these two states, and she did 10 percentage points better with black voters in Wisconsin.

Warren earned the most consistent support among the group, in the low 30s among black voters in both states.

Abrams’ performance without being a sitting senator or having just run for president, shows potential to build a broad coalition and turn out voters.

https://www.axios.com/vice-president-women-color-warren-poll-biden-c75d2901-aead-424c-a5b1-a987ab312c6c.html

which is interesting, b/c that new Change Research Michigan poll from last week had Harris doing the best on a Biden ticket
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1757 on: May 26, 2020, 03:13:48 PM »

Warren very regularly released policies with specific provisions targeting racial inequities. She is not "the black candidate," but she does seem more sensitive to race issues than many other potential picks.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1758 on: May 26, 2020, 03:23:41 PM »

I think Lance Bottoms might be the way to go at this point. How could you find a more perfect pick?

She's only been a Mayor of a city of less than a million people. Not remotely qualified.

I think people are looking for the wrong qualities in terms of credentials here. Being a mayor of the large city is definitely helpful experience in the White House. The presidency and vice presidency are executive jobs that require an officeholder to run things smoothly. Legislative experience does count and is beneficiary as well, but being a mayor is a job that requires you to run and manage things. And to take responsibility of something goes wrong. Just being a member of congress and blowing hot air in a sub-committee isn't superior to experience on the ground and keep things going. The open question here is how Lance Bottoms performs on the campaign trail on national spotlight as well as her opinions of national and international matters.

There is never a perfect preparation for being president or vice president. Obviously, it depends on each indivudual and how he or she is able to make decisions, work with people in general, get to learn things and ready to take advice from folks who know more about a specific issue.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1759 on: May 26, 2020, 03:37:16 PM »

I think Lance Bottoms might be the way to go at this point. How could you find a more perfect pick?

She's only been a Mayor of a city of less than a million people. Not remotely qualified.

I think people are looking for the wrong qualities in terms of credentials here. Being a mayor of the large city is definitely helpful experience in the White House. The presidency and vice presidency are executive jobs that require an officeholder to run things smoothly. Legislative experience does count and is beneficiary as well, but being a mayor is a job that requires you to run and manage things. And to take responsibility of something goes wrong. Just being a member of congress and blowing hot air in a sub-committee isn't superior to experience on the ground and keep things going. The open question here is how Lance Bottoms performs on the campaign trail on national spotlight as well as her opinions of national and international matters.

There is never a perfect preparation for being president or vice president. Obviously, it depends on each indivudual and how he or she is able to make decisions, work with people in general, get to learn things and ready to take advice from folks who know more about a specific issue.
Joe Biden will be the oldest person ever elected. Who he picks is very important. We will also be facing off a crass, low down, con artist, habitual liar sociopath. I want someone with federal experience and that can handle the spotlight and scrutiny of a billion dollar smear campaign. We need someone who can help build a robust war chest virtually. We don’t have time for folks to learn as they go. Bottoms has never had to deal with a hostile media circus and no real fundraising prowess. She can’t handle the heat. Period.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1760 on: May 26, 2020, 03:39:40 PM »

Joe Biden will be the oldest person ever elected. Who he picks is very important. We will also be facing off a crass, low down, con artist, habitual liar sociopath. I want someone with federal experience and that can handle the spotlight and scrutiny of a billion dollar smear campaign. We need someone who can help build a robust war chest virtually. We don’t have time for folks to learn as they go. Bottoms has never had to deal with a hostile media circus and no real fundraising prowess. She can’t handle the heat. Period.
Harris is a prosecutor and she is not a foundational black American.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1761 on: May 26, 2020, 03:52:15 PM »

She isn't my first choice, not even second or third. I just saying mayors shouldn't be dismissed across the board. Still want one of CCM, Harris, Klobuchar or Whitmer.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1762 on: May 26, 2020, 05:11:50 PM »

Harris is a prosecutor and she is not a foundational black American.

Remember when Obama failed to boost black turnout because he wasn’t descended from slaves?
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #1763 on: May 26, 2020, 06:39:33 PM »

We need a black woman with experience but not A problematic law enforcement history. There are several women in congress that fit that bill but no one is talking about any of them
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1764 on: May 26, 2020, 07:09:59 PM »

We need a black woman with experience but not A problematic law enforcement history. There are several women in congress that fit that bill but no one is talking about any of them

Harris does not have a problematic law enforcement history. I've had enough of these far-left Tulsi Gabbard-type smears
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #1765 on: May 26, 2020, 08:23:41 PM »

If he picks Stacey Abrams We can make it all about the importance of state government and flip the experience argument on its head.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1766 on: May 26, 2020, 08:25:56 PM »

I swear, Atlas users come up with some of the dumbest reasons to hate Harris.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1767 on: May 26, 2020, 08:35:44 PM »

No Demings, Klobuchar, Abrams, Harris

Warren
Whitmer
Bottoms
Grisham
Quinn
Bustos

Should be the final shortlist. Period.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1768 on: May 26, 2020, 08:39:29 PM »

Warren
Whitmer
Bottoms
Grisham
Quinn
Bustos

Uh who?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1769 on: May 26, 2020, 08:52:55 PM »

Warren
Whitmer
Bottoms
Grisham
Quinn
Bustos

Uh who?

Former New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn. She would be a good attack dog for Biden. The bottom line is that Biden is being smeared in a sense and he does not have the same physical energy he had in 2008 and 2012. Quinn would go dirty for his behalf and he needs an attack dog, Quinn can do that. Plus, a lesbian woman debating Pence would be poetic justice.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1770 on: May 26, 2020, 08:55:39 PM »

Warren
Whitmer
Bottoms
Grisham
Quinn
Bustos

Uh who?
Former Illinois Governor Pat “The People’s Pat” Quinn, of course! He might be a man from a safe state who nevertheless managed to lose an election as a Democrat in Illinois, but his personality and charisma more than make up for those minor defects.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1771 on: May 26, 2020, 08:55:52 PM »

Warren
Whitmer
Bottoms
Grisham
Quinn
Bustos

Uh who?

Former New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn. She would be a good attack dog for Biden. The bottom line is that Biden is being smeared in a sense and he does not have the same physical energy he had in 2008 and 2012. Quinn would go dirty for his behalf and he needs an attack dog, Quinn can do that. Plus, a lesbian woman debating Pence would be poetic justice.

Oh, lol she's so random though. I doubt she has ever crossed Biden's mind... nor do I think she ever will.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1772 on: May 26, 2020, 08:57:33 PM »

Warren
Whitmer
Bottoms
Grisham
Quinn
Bustos

Uh who?

As much I think Christine Quinn would be an interesting choice...if Biden really wants an NYC politician, he should just pick De Blasio.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1773 on: May 26, 2020, 08:58:14 PM »

Warren
Whitmer
Bottoms
Grisham
Quinn
Bustos

Uh who?

Oh, lol she's so random though. I doubt she has ever crossed Biden's mind... nor do I think she ever will.

She should be considered, seriously. You need someone who will strike the fear of God into the Republicans and Harris and Abrams doesn't, sorry.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1774 on: May 26, 2020, 08:59:47 PM »

Warren
Whitmer
Bottoms
Grisham
Quinn
Bustos

Uh who?

She should be considered, seriously. You need someone who will strike the fear of God into the Republicans and Harris and Abrams doesn't, sorry.

https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/kamala-harris-gop/

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies