Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:20:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 357784 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1775 on: May 26, 2020, 09:06:05 PM »

No Demings, Klobuchar, Abrams, Harris

Warren
Whitmer
Bottoms
Grisham
Quinn
Bustos

Should be the final shortlist. Period.

Uh who?

Former New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn. She would be a good attack dog for Biden. The bottom line is that Biden is being smeared in a sense and he does not have the same physical energy he had in 2008 and 2012. Quinn would go dirty for his behalf and he needs an attack dog, Quinn can do that. Plus, a lesbian woman debating Pence would be poetic justice.

As much I think Christine Quinn would be an interesting choice...if Biden really wants an NYC politician, he should just pick De Blasio.

Quinn is a brawler. She should have been mayor, not de Blasio. I like her personality. She would slam Trump everyday. I think she would play well in the Midwest. Who cares if she is lesbian? She is a brawler, now is not the time for Nicey Nice, this is war and Trump needs to be taken down to blows.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #1776 on: May 26, 2020, 09:31:07 PM »

This is not new, but in his interview with Dana Bash Biden reiterated the qualities he is looking for:

"I think the two most important things are you got to pick someone who's compatible with you, both in terms of your style -- and my style and Barack's (were) very different, but they were compatible, they work with one another -- and someone who in fact, you would want to be the last person in the room when you're making a tough decision," he said.

He also said he wanted to select someone "who will be loyal in the sense that whatever disagreements you have are between you and the president at that moment."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/26/politics/joe-biden-vice-presidential-search/index.html
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1777 on: May 26, 2020, 09:36:24 PM »

This is not new, but in his interview with Dana Bash Biden reiterated the qualities he is looking for:

"I think the two most important things are you got to pick someone who's compatible with you, both in terms of your style -- and my style and Barack's (were) very different, but they were compatible, they work with one another -- and someone who in fact, you would want to be the last person in the room when you're making a tough decision," he said.

He also said he wanted to select someone "who will be loyal in the sense that whatever disagreements you have are between you and the president at that moment."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/26/politics/joe-biden-vice-presidential-search/index.html

Cross off Abrams' name.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #1778 on: May 26, 2020, 09:43:09 PM »

That doesn't sound like Warren.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1779 on: May 26, 2020, 09:55:16 PM »

Warren
Whitmer
Bottoms
Grisham
Quinn
Bustos

Joke list.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1780 on: May 26, 2020, 10:02:00 PM »

Warren
Whitmer
Bottoms
Grisham
Quinn
Bustos

Joke list.

I'm partial to agree with Frontier here, however, I do think Warren, Whitmer, and Lujan Grisham will end up on the final shortlist, but I think that the other finalists will be Harris, Demings, Klobuchar, Harris, and Duckworth. Out of those 7, I'd say, Harris, Duckworth, and Demings are my preferred picks, but we obviously aren't experts Biden has some of the best in the business handling this, and if a bad pick is made in your opinion, I'd like to remind you that McCain's original choice in 2008 was Joe Lieberman, but it was Vetoed by Steve Schmidt.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1781 on: May 26, 2020, 10:19:50 PM »

Warren
Whitmer
Bottoms
Grisham
Quinn
Bustos

Uh who?

Former New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn. She would be a good attack dog for Biden. The bottom line is that Biden is being smeared in a sense and he does not have the same physical energy he had in 2008 and 2012. Quinn would go dirty for his behalf and he needs an attack dog, Quinn can do that. Plus, a lesbian woman debating Pence would be poetic justice.

As much I think Christine Quinn would be an interesting choice...if Biden really wants an NYC politician, he should just pick De Blasio.

Quinn is a brawler. She should have been mayor, not de Blasio. I like her personality. She would slam Trump everyday. I think she would play well in the Midwest. Who cares if she is lesbian? She is a brawler, now is not the time for Nicey Nice, this is war and Trump needs to be taken down to blows.

Being or not being a Lesbian has nothing to with it (and besides, if Biden wants to go there, Tammy Baldwin is the better choice). De Blasio has executive experience as Mayor of NYC, and he checks off a lot of boxes that progressives will look for in a running mate.

The only New Yorkers that would be better suited to being on the ticket with Biden are Gillibrand and Cuomo (and Biden wants to reach a bit, Kathleen Rice.)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1782 on: May 26, 2020, 10:22:22 PM »

Also from that interview, he says that the search committee has already interviewed "a lot" of the prospective candidates, and that they come from "every part of the country":

"There are women of color under consideration, and they're women from every part of the country -- so a lot of really qualified women that are ready to be president," the former vice president told CNN's Dana Bash, his first in-person sit-down interview since being sidelined from campaigning in March amid the coronavirus pandemic.

He said the four-person group he appointed to vet potential running-mates -- former Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd, Delaware Rep. Lisa Blunt Rochester, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti and longtime Biden aide Cynthia C. Hogan -- has "interviewed a lot of these people already." He did not say who had been interviewed.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1783 on: May 26, 2020, 10:34:56 PM »

Warren
Whitmer
Bottoms
Grisham
Quinn
Bustos

Uh who?

Being or not being a Lesbian has nothing to with it (and besides, if Biden wants to go there, Tammy Baldwin is the better choice). De Blasio has executive experience as Mayor of NYC, and he checks off a lot of boxes that progressives will look for in a running mate.

The only New Yorkers that would be better suited to being on the ticket with Biden are Gillibrand and Cuomo (and Biden wants to reach a bit, Kathleen Rice.)
De Blasio would be a terrible VP pick. He's been a below average mayor to say the least. He only won re-election because of partisanship lol.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1784 on: May 26, 2020, 10:39:32 PM »

Warren
Whitmer
Bottoms
Grisham
Quinn
Bustos

Uh who?

Kathleen Rice is the former DA of Nassau County. I don't think that would vibe well.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1785 on: May 26, 2020, 10:40:14 PM »

Guys don’t feed the troll.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1786 on: May 26, 2020, 10:43:29 PM »

Who are you accusing with that, Bronz or me?

Warren
Whitmer
Bottoms
Grisham
Quinn
Bustos

Uh who?

Kathleen Rice is the former DA of Nassau County. I don't think that would vibe well.

Rice wouldn't be any worse of a pick than Kamala Harris (former DA of San Francisco, California Attorney General).
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1787 on: May 26, 2020, 10:44:46 PM »

Bronz.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1788 on: May 26, 2020, 10:47:18 PM »

Thanks for the clarification.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1789 on: May 26, 2020, 11:06:21 PM »

Also from that interview, he says that the search committee has already interviewed "a lot" of the prospective candidates, and that they come from "every part of the country":

"There are women of color under consideration, and they're women from every part of the country -- so a lot of really qualified women that are ready to be president," the former vice president told CNN's Dana Bash, his first in-person sit-down interview since being sidelined from campaigning in March amid the coronavirus pandemic.

He said the four-person group he appointed to vet potential running-mates -- former Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd, Delaware Rep. Lisa Blunt Rochester, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti and longtime Biden aide Cynthia C. Hogan -- has "interviewed a lot of these people already." He did not say who had been interviewed.

Notice how Biden says „President“.

This means A) he’s stepping down during his term, or B) he’ll only serve one term.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1790 on: May 26, 2020, 11:07:45 PM »

This means A) he’s stepping down during his term, or B) he’ll only serve one term.

Alternatively, Biden wants whoever his VP is to be as prepared as possible in case something happens to him in either term one or term two. Remember, he is pushing eighty already, and he hasn't actually said he'll serve only one term.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1791 on: May 26, 2020, 11:10:21 PM »

I'm making some good points.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1792 on: May 26, 2020, 11:11:25 PM »

lol ok
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1793 on: May 26, 2020, 11:25:17 PM »

If only Barbara Lee were a few years younger.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1794 on: May 26, 2020, 11:41:41 PM »

If only Barbara Lee were a few years younger.

Barbara Lee is four years younger than Biden. That's maybe a year or two too old for VP consideration.

That said, I could easily see her as Secretary of Housing and Urban Development or Secretary of Transportation in a Biden Administration.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1795 on: May 26, 2020, 11:43:01 PM »

Warren helps Biden the most (name recognition poll):

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=375486.0
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1796 on: May 26, 2020, 11:46:31 PM »

Biden won't be picking a running mate based on name recognition.

I think Kamala Harris and Tammy Duckworth are the fronttrunners.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #1797 on: May 26, 2020, 11:59:01 PM »

I took this more of a sign that Biden is committed to picking someone who is prepared to take over as President on Day 1 if needed (no "training" period).  That's a signal an Abrams-type isn't getting picked -- but we knew that already.

morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #1798 on: May 27, 2020, 01:57:29 AM »

There's no asset Demings has that Kamala doesn't have at least as much, if not more of.

Both black women.
More experience? Harris
Won statewide? Harris
Held higher office? Harris
More name recognition? Harris

Locked up Poor people and then bragged about it? Harris
Attacked Biden during the campaign? Harris
Not from a Swing state? Harris

Yeah but:

1. I bet Demings would've had similar problems in her role as a police chief.
2. So did a ton of other potential Veep contenders. Admittedly Harris's one was more vocal but they were running for President, of course people would try to hit Biden.
3. Irrelevant as Demings isn't a statewide official. That Orlando seat is not a swing seat.....

I don't think Harris is the best choice either, but Demings as a choice makes little sense to me.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1799 on: May 27, 2020, 07:26:16 AM »

That doesn't sound like Warren.

It doesn't? She has already softened on a couple of issues to show solidarity with Biden and has been very publicly supportive of him. And it seems like they'd work together well. They may not agree, but where Biden is tougher, Warren may be more gentle. So I think they might strike a balance behind the scenes. Just my 2 cents tho.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies