Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 12:19:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 362008 times)
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1725 on: May 24, 2020, 04:18:32 PM »

The more I hear from Demings the more I like her she is going up on the people I would like to see as Biden's VP, she truly is an inspirational woman.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #1726 on: May 24, 2020, 05:11:13 PM »

The more I hear from Demings the more I like her she is going up on the people I would like to see as Biden's VP, she truly is an inspirational woman.

Young African Americans still wouldn’t be too keen on a literal cop being on the ticket. Well, young Americans period probably.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1727 on: May 24, 2020, 05:45:09 PM »

Funny to me how Harris has been the most publicly quiet. Telling IMO.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1728 on: May 24, 2020, 05:52:18 PM »

Young African Americans still wouldn’t be too keen on a literal cop being on the ticket. Well, young Americans period probably.

Do you Young Americans in vote, period? Is anything on Deming's record worse than Harris? Demings didn't seem to have any major complaints during her time as Chief of Police.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #1729 on: May 24, 2020, 05:58:40 PM »

Democrats see Warren as rising VP contender as coronavirus reshuffles 2020 race

Joe Biden is thinking big.

Confronted with the prospect of taking office next year in the depths of a historic economic and health crisis, Biden is now talking about a bolder presidency, with ambitions stretching beyond the restoration of pre-Donald Trump normalcy.
And there is a growing sense in Democratic circles, particularly among the progressive wing of the party, that there is one sure way to show he means it: Make Elizabeth Warren his running mate.
The Massachusetts senator has mostly been regarded as a vice presidential dark horse more likely destined, if progressive dreams were answered, for a top cabinet position. But that calculation could be shifting as the factors influencing Biden's decision evolve in the face of a mushrooming catastrophe. Over the past month, the pair have forged a deeper personal connection, following the death of Warren's brother, and begun to sharpen their focus on common political ground as Biden publicly shifted on an issue that famously divided them nearly two decades ago.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/24/politics/elizabeth-warren-joe-biden-vice-president-coronavirus/index.html
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1730 on: May 24, 2020, 06:06:56 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/24/democratic-vp-contender-val-demings-biden-black-voters-gaffe

Val Demings, a Democratic representative from Florida among contenders to be Joe Biden’s presidential running mate, has castigated Donald Trump for having the “gall and nerve” to use a gaffe by Biden as a weapon on the campaign trail.

Biden apologised on Friday, for saying that if African Americans “have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black”.

Does this attack/defense of Biden make Demings more or less likely to be Biden's running mate?

What are her liabilities in terms of winning a general election?
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1731 on: May 24, 2020, 06:16:20 PM »

It really depends on her record. I'm not familiar with her time as the Orlando police chief, but if she pushed for reforms than I'd say being a literal cop would be an asset.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1732 on: May 24, 2020, 06:41:32 PM »

It really depends on her record. I'm not familiar with her time as the Orlando police chief, but if she pushed for reforms than I'd say being a literal cop would be an asset.

Being a police officer is no longer an asset in the Democratic Party as a whole. I wouldn't be shocked, if, assuming Demings isn't on the ticket, she gets a primary challenge from her left in 2022, from an anti-police activist.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1733 on: May 24, 2020, 06:43:00 PM »

Being a police officer is no longer an asset in the Democratic Party as a whole. I wouldn't be shocked, if, assuming Demings isn't on the ticket, she gets a primary challenge from her left in 2022, from an anti-police activist.

And they'll fail that primary miserably because outside of the internet bubble, police are very popular.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1734 on: May 24, 2020, 06:53:17 PM »

I'm 95% sure that somebody would dig up an old "Orlando cops shot an unarmed black person" story from when she ran the police department; might not happen, & I'm sure the campaign's checking, but I wouldn't be optimistic.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1735 on: May 24, 2020, 06:58:21 PM »

I'm 95% sure that somebody would dig up an old "Orlando cops shot an unarmed black person" story from when she ran the police department; might not happen, & I'm sure the campaign's checking, but I wouldn't be optimistic.
The story has already been written.
Orlando Weekly, 2008:
A three-month Orlando Weekly investigation, drawing on hundreds of documents and dozens of interviews, suggests OPD has a problem policing its own. The police department, it seems, is a place where rogue cops operate with impunity, and there’s nothing anybody who finds himself at the wrong end of their short fuse can do about it.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1736 on: May 24, 2020, 07:10:56 PM »

Val Demings was an ACTUAL cop unlike Kamala lol. Young Black voters generally don't like or are heavily distrustful of police (even if they are Black).

Older Black voters are generally more ambivalent on policing.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1737 on: May 24, 2020, 07:45:12 PM »

Do you Young Americans in vote, period? Is anything on Deming's record worse than Harris? Demings didn't seem to have any major complaints during her time as Chief of Police.

They do when their motivated by a candidate or policies they actually like (see Obama ‘08/‘12 and Abrams ‘18)
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1738 on: May 24, 2020, 07:49:11 PM »

They do when their motivated by a candidate or policies they actually like (see Obama ‘08/‘12 and Abrams ‘18)

"Abrams '18" she lost didn't she?

Demings isn't a career politician and is relatively an outsider, strong on all the bonafides Biden needs to bring to a ticket, Female, African American, Swing State.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1739 on: May 25, 2020, 12:28:10 AM »

"Abrams '18" she lost didn't she?

Demings isn't a career politician and is relatively an outsider, strong on all the bonafides Biden needs to bring to a ticket, Female, African American, Swing State.

She had the best performance of any Democrat in the state in 20 years, and arguably lost due to improprieties of the SoS.

You’re right, she isn’t a career politician, she’s a career cop. That’s the problem. What y’all need to understand is that being a black woman isn’t gonna automatically excite black voters.
JRP1994

« Reply #1740 on: May 25, 2020, 07:13:36 AM »

There's no asset Demings has that Kamala doesn't have at least as much, if not more of.

Both black women.
More experience? Harris
Won statewide? Harris
Held higher office? Harris
More name recognition? Harris
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1741 on: May 25, 2020, 09:32:29 AM »

Val Demings was an ACTUAL cop unlike Kamala lol. Young Black voters generally don't like or are heavily distrustful of police (even if they are Black).

Older Black voters are generally more ambivalent on policing.
True. That's why people should not be upset when people call the Democratic Party antipolice. Most of the white cops spout Trump rhetoric nowadays.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1742 on: May 25, 2020, 05:15:11 PM »

There's no asset Demings has that Kamala doesn't have at least as much, if not more of.

Both black women.
More experience? Harris
Won statewide? Harris
Held higher office? Harris
More name recognition? Harris

Locked up Poor people and then bragged about it? Harris
Attacked Biden during the campaign? Harris
Not from a Swing state? Harris
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1743 on: May 25, 2020, 05:32:23 PM »

Attacked Biden during the campaign? Harris

Can we please retire that lame argument? Biden also attacked Obama in 2008, and poppy Bush was talking about 'voodoo economics" when he ran against Reagan.
And of course JFK picked LBJ.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1744 on: May 25, 2020, 06:51:37 PM »

I think Lance Bottoms might be the way to go at this point. How could you find a more perfect pick?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1745 on: May 25, 2020, 07:45:39 PM »

I think Lance Bottoms might be the way to go at this point. How could you find a more perfect pick?

She's only been a Mayor of a city of less than a million people. Not remotely qualified.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1746 on: May 25, 2020, 07:46:26 PM »

Sorry, no. And personally I don’t think she could handle the media scrutiny of being the VP. It needs to be a former Presidential candidate who can navigate Trump’s attacks and the $1 billion smear campaign waiting for the eventual ticket.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #1747 on: May 25, 2020, 09:27:02 PM »

Haha, tell another!
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1748 on: May 25, 2020, 11:27:49 PM »

Orlando Weekly, 2008:
A three-month Orlando Weekly investigation, drawing on hundreds of documents and dozens of interviews, suggests OPD has a problem policing its own. The police department, it seems, is a place where rogue cops operate with impunity, and there’s nothing anybody who finds himself at the wrong end of their short fuse can do about it.

Good try, Bernie Bros, but the incident in this article happened a whole... 6 months!! Before Demings became Chief of Police, while it does mention her as lowering his punishment from 2 days to 1, that was because of misconduct on part of the investigation. Anywho if you look into what happened later Trinidad (the offending officer) was fired and was ordered by a federal court to pay $88,000 in damages.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1749 on: May 25, 2020, 11:51:33 PM »

Orlando Weekly, 2008:

Good try, Bernie Bros, but the incident in this article happened a whole... 6 months!! Before Demings became Chief of Police, while it does mention her as lowering his punishment from 2 days to 1, that was because of misconduct on part of the investigation. Anywho if you look into what happened later Trinidad (the offending officer) was fired and was ordered by a federal court to pay $88,000 in damages.

Dude, I'm no Bernie Bro but calm the f**k down. Being Deputy Chief of Police at a time when the OPD is still said to have been "a place where rogue cops operate[d] with impunity" still doesn't look good. In fact, I'd argue it still looks pretty f**king bad when it comes to the institutional duties & responsibilities that her office are presumably supposed to play a part in upholding.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies