Favorite recent post by the previous poster
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:04:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Favorite recent post by the previous poster
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74
Author Topic: Favorite recent post by the previous poster  (Read 77077 times)
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1700 on: October 19, 2021, 03:41:41 PM »

What is your favorite part of North Carolina?
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #1701 on: October 19, 2021, 04:29:53 PM »

Someday there'll be a Nandos and a Cava in every town in West Virginia.
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #1702 on: October 19, 2021, 05:57:05 PM »

IMO all people should be entitled to 4th amendment rights regardless of age. With how restrictive that cursed spyware is, I'm lucky I can still use this site on my school computer
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #1703 on: October 19, 2021, 06:16:01 PM »

IMO all people should be entitled to 4th amendment rights regardless of age. With how restrictive that cursed spyware is, I'm lucky I can still use this site on my school computer

The 4th Amendment Understander has logged on.

[skip]
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #1704 on: October 19, 2021, 09:04:02 PM »

Ginsburg's biggest mistake wasn't this, but not resigning from the court while Obama was President. I think she honestly bought into the hype that people created around her and wanted to leave the court on her own terms rather than what was good for the country.

You can argue in hindsight that it was a mistake, but how many people thought that Donald Trump would ever become president?
She should have retired in 2013. It was very obvious Democrats were going to lose the senate in 2014, and it was likely that whoever the D nominee was in 2016 was going to lose simply because a party rarely wins 3 terms in the white house in a row. Her decision to not retire when Obama would get to pick the replacement of his choice was always much more likely to backfire than it was to not.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1705 on: October 19, 2021, 09:49:49 PM »

For far too long, the major parties have not cared about Antarctic Researchers. Antarctica is a pristine landmass that holds our planet’s greatest species. Meadowlark, and Fine Gayle have simply ignored this issue! I propose claiming Marie Byrd Land for Frémont and allotting atleast half of all Frémont tax revenue towards Antarctic conservation and Antarctic research expeditions. We will always fight for the forgotten penguins, species, and Antarctic researchers!

Together marching hand-in-hand in solidarity can we shed light and rightfully give the long forgotten inhabitants of Antarctica their God-given rights of representation in Frémont!
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1706 on: October 20, 2021, 06:52:07 AM »

GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1707 on: October 20, 2021, 05:02:28 PM »

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1708 on: October 23, 2021, 06:09:46 PM »

_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #1709 on: October 23, 2021, 08:40:42 PM »

New York City's Mayors have traditionally had contentious relationships with the Governor of New York.  While Cuomo was a corrupt authoritarian and DeBlasio is a moron at a level beyond description, that was not the whole basis for their tension.

Nelson Rockefeller and John Lindsay had tensions, and that was when Lindsay was a Republican who was on Nixon's short list in 1968.  Hugh Carey and Abraham Beame had tensions; Carey recruited Mario Cuomo to run against Beame in the 1977 Mayoral primary.  (Carey's and Cuomo's relationship took a hit when he endorsed Ed Koch for Mayor after Koch won the Democratic Primary.)  George Pataki had a contentious relationship with Rudy Giuliani (who endorsed Mario Cuomo for reelection in 1994). 

One reason is the politics.  New York City consists of the four (4) most populous counties in the state, plus Staten Island, all of which are overwhelmingly Democratic, whereas NY State as a whole is less Democratic and will elect a Republican statewide every so often.  The last three (3) Republican Governors came from wealthy Westchester County, but all made their fortunes in NYC.  Hochul is the first Democratic Governor in forever who did NOT come from NYC.  (Indeed, she may be the first Democratic Governor of New York from Western New York since Grover Cleveland, and the first Democratic Governor from outside NYC since FDR (from Dutchess County).  What you have in all these cases are people who made their marks in business or formed their political bases in NYC but, as Governor, have had to win support in areas of the state who believe NYC takes THEIR tax dollars and gives them back 50 cents.  (Actually, it's more the other way around.)  They have to consider what folks outside NYC think.  NYC Mayors, on the other hand, expect their Governor to be parochial toward the city, especially when both are Democrats, as they are both alumni of the same political system.

The other area of tension comes from the fact that NYC is a "Class 1" city in New York.  A Class 1 city is a city with over 1 million people.  If you're first response to this is, "Well, gee, NYC is the ONLY city in NY State with over a million people!" my response would be that NY's Legislature knew that and intended it that way.  NYC is treated differently because it IS different; it is a city that is in 5 counties.  It has its own key departments for a number of services that, in other counties, are state services.  NYC has more autonomy than other municipalities.  This means that the Governor and the Legislature don't have the complete range of control over what NYC does.  NYC, for example, has the power to levy a city income tax on all that work their (state residents or not).  No other city or county in NY has the power to levy such a commuter tax.  You can imagine how this sort of thing can create trans-partisan and intrapartisan tensions.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1710 on: October 24, 2021, 03:31:11 PM »

Generally green

Image Link

Sometimes it turns white and yellow in winter though
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1711 on: November 06, 2021, 02:14:34 PM »

Billionaires should fund their own sports teams, rather than get the gov't to force the average citizen along with gov't lenders to subsidize it
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1712 on: November 06, 2021, 02:33:23 PM »

Indiana.  NE-02 is the type of educated, urban/suburban district Obama should thrive in.

It’s a bit astonishing that NE-02 was so Republican before 2008, since it’s anchored by a city as large as Omaha.  I mean, it voted for Bush in 2004 by more than the entire state of South Dakota!  
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1713 on: November 06, 2021, 02:39:33 PM »

I tried to make a non-partisan state legislature map, avoiding municipal splits and county splits as much as is feasible, while still having compact districts.
Of 565 municipalities in the state, only four are split: Newark, Jersey City, Clifton, and West New York. The former two are unavoidable due to population, while the latter two are forced by county nesting.

This is what I got.
County nestings:
Cumberland+Cape May 1
Salem+Gloucester+Camden 4
Burlington+Atlantic+Ocean 6
Monmouth+Middlesex+Union 9
Mercer+Somerset+Morris+Sussex 6
Warren+Hunterdon 1
Essex+Passaic 6
Bergen 4
Hudson 3
https://davesredistricting.org/join/d7305d78-fc39-4f4e-a10b-038b7fadad1c
Menendez won 25 of these seats. Murphy '17 won 29 of them. Clinton won 29. Not sure about Murphy '21 or Biden.
Btw I've added the edited blank map I made to the Gallery. Anyone is free to use it.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1714 on: November 06, 2021, 09:33:55 PM »

I'd support Vance, though I am starting to doubt his #populist credentials after his fundraising tweet that basically went like this

"Pay $10,000 to dine with myself and Peter Thiel"

Mandel trolled him with a post like this:

"Pay $10 to eat french fries with me at midnight in a Denny's parking lot"

I'd still vote for Vance though, because he isn't a lunatic. Up until recently, I thought Mandel was a neocon in Trumpist clothing. However after he said that George Soros and the Deep State caused COVID-19, BLM, ANTIFA, and the Capital Riots, I realized he is ing insane. I wasn't really following the election when he made the poll about "which type of illegal causes more crime". I'm guessing that was your evidence for your claim that he is racist. Timken is an out-of-touch elitist. The other candidates aren't really serious.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1715 on: November 06, 2021, 11:50:32 PM »

In your opinion, who was the best President of the last century? Which President do you believe was the most morally upright?

The most morally upright President of the last 100 years was probably Herbert Hoover.

The least morally upright President of the last 100 years was probably Bill Clinton, but I could be wrong.  We know about Clinton because he lived in an era where pols didn't keep secrets.
I'm curious, why Hoover over Eisenhower or Carter?

Eisenhower is my pick for the BEST President, but he had a wartime affair.  Hoover, whatever his shortcomings, was the most strait-laced President we have had, personally.

If you read the life story of Jimmy Carter, you will find an incredibly self-serving narcissist.  He's hid it well, but he's always been all about him.  Everything about him has been opportunism.  He's not the worst; in fact, he's better than most of our Presidents in this regard.  But Carter has been a manipulator of his own image his whole political life.  So, no, he doesn't get the prize here.

I answered this in criticizing Carter.  I realize I've been a bit unfair here.  For Carter to say in 1971 in his Georgia Governor's Inaugural Address, "I say to you, quite frankly, that the time for racial discrimination is over." took some courage.  In the book The Presidential Character, James David Barber made an observation about Carter's pre-Governor years and controversial issues; that Carter would take a stand on issues, even unpopular stands, but he did not LEAD.  Barber was something of a Democratic partisan for an academic, and he predicted success for Carter who would be an Active (versus Passive) Positive (versus Negative) President.  In truth, Carter's Presidency was much like his time in the 1960s; he STOOD, but he DID NOT LEAD.  

Herbert Hoover, on the other hand, led.  In 1921, Hoover was head of the American Relief Administration when he led the ARA to provide aid for the Soviet Union during the 1921-22 fashion.  He was heavily criticized for aiding Bolshevism for doing this.  His response was simple:  "Twenty million people are starving.  Whatever their politics, they shall be fed!"

This stance by Hoover required moral courage, but he did not waver.  The ARA was able to significantly able to mitigate the famine in the USSR; however bad it is, without the ARA under Hoover, it would have been much worse.

GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1716 on: December 06, 2021, 08:52:16 PM »

I was wrong about this.

I knew that most Latinos did not use the term, but I really didn't think that they disliked it so intensely.

Why would anyone appreciate being called something they don't describe themselves as?

It amazes me that the same people who go out of their way to make sure they're using the correct pronouns for someone will also just unilaterally throw away the centuries-old grammar rules of a language they do not speak and that is not part of their culture, simply because it comports with their very educated postmodern worldview.
You have a good point about how hypocritical the approach used by many wokesters is.
But I would disagree strongly with the idea that "call people by what they call themselves" is how society ought to work.
Exonyms are part and parcel of how human beings talk to and understand each other. Because humanity is diverse in many, many of its aspects - including how we communicate and speak of one another.
Exonyms are as old as organized human society.
It's not "enlightened" to just drop the use of exonym because "that's not how they refer to themselves". It's just being uptight about language, force-fitting yourself to some set of silly rules on yourself that have never been particularly common in history and don't have any particular value.
Am I going to get upset because British people called America "The States" and call us "Yanks"? No. Because I have better use of my time and I'm not going to be an oversensitive human being who doesn't care if I inconvenience other people.
The problem with "Latinx" isn't that it's an exonym, the problem is that it reflects an utterly bonkers sense of what "grammatical gender" means, shoehorning in some misguided "necessary" neuter form into a Spanish-derived word (Arabic and Russian do just fine without it, and respecting human diversity also means respecting that not all languages are the same).
Until people realize that grammatical gender does not necessarily equal biological gender, then this sort of derangement will just continue to mess with linguistic convention.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1717 on: December 06, 2021, 11:54:49 PM »

Because things aren't going so well. Additionally, most 'journalists' are little more than opinion writers with degrees. This goes for both sides.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1718 on: December 07, 2021, 05:23:37 AM »

Good system, but I recommend that Abdullah get a Super Recommend feature which only he gets to use.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1719 on: December 07, 2021, 04:06:06 PM »

Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #1720 on: December 07, 2021, 04:23:40 PM »

Sevier County is located in Eastern Tennessee. It is the area's tourist hub and is home to the famous Dollywood amusement park. It's terain is very hilly. It's population is very white, and its politics are extremely Republican, to the point of never voting Democrat (it did vote for Teddy Roosevelt in 1912).

Oneida, NY
Independents for Nihilism
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #1721 on: December 07, 2021, 04:34:34 PM »

GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States