Will Eric Adams (if elected) and Kathy Hochul have a more trustful relationship unlike BDB and AC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:42:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Eric Adams (if elected) and Kathy Hochul have a more trustful relationship unlike BDB and AC
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will Eric Adams (if elected) and Kathy Hochul have a more trustful relationship unlike BDB and AC  (Read 420 times)
thebeloitmoderate
Mexico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2021, 06:27:03 PM »

De Blasio and Cuomo frequently feuded and making it one of New York's most famous political rivalries and one of the most famous non federal government intraparty feuds of the 21st century. But with Adams being more moderate and Hochul as well will the NYC vs rest of state relationship calm down?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 06:33:51 PM »

Probably, because Kathy Hochul isn't a petulant child.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 06:45:44 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2021, 06:52:01 PM by Alben Barkley »

Probably, because Eric Adams is f--king based and de Blasio was one of the worst mayors in history, maybe ever.

I mean we're talking about a man who openly carries a gun as a private citizen and encourages other citizens to do the same... A man who speaks with open disdain for the NIMBYs who are trying to destroy NYC... A man who mocks his predecessor's ridiculous policies that would destroy NYC education and pledges to undo them on day one... A man who has zero tolerance for the criminal scum trying to ruin NYC's current golden streak as the best and one of the safest cities in America... A man who even wants to kill all the f--king RATS in New York! If he plays all his cards right, Eric Adams could be a hero who will EASILY be electable as POTUS some day. I'm all for him at this point.

Hell, I saw an ad for him in KY for the UK-UGA game on Saturday! CLEARLY he is already thinking ahead to 2024 or 2028! And rightfully so. There is a HUGE untapped appetite in this country for sensible, moderate, sane, centrist Democrats who love this country yet also love law and order, love freedom, love the rights of the people... Adams could perhaps unite us better than any other politician in modern times I can think of.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 06:50:26 PM »

De Blasio and Cuomo frequently feuded and making it one of New York's most famous political rivalries and one of the most famous non federal government intraparty feuds of the 21st century. But with Adams being more moderate and Hochul as well will the NYC vs rest of state relationship calm down?

This feels a bit hyperbolic to me
thebeloitmoderate
Mexico

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 09:08:13 PM »

I know thank god Adams isn't going to be all perfect but at least he will hopefully reduce the city's homicides to a astonishing 150-185 per year. As well as trying to do police reform while not defunding it completely. Even NYPD officers find his campaign promises as a breath of fresh air. He can also reduce the now infamous stop and frisk to only 30 per year instead of hundreds of thousands during the Bloomberg era.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 09:27:18 PM »

This feels a bit hyperbolic to me

To be fair, I don’t know if I could name any others, besides the New England governors and their state parties.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 09:30:57 PM »

Their governing styles strike me as nearly opposite, so I don't see a close working relationship at least.  But maybe some of the strife between Cuomo and de Blasio were that their personalities were too similar.
SInNYC

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 03:03:22 PM »

Anybody would have a better relationship with Hochul than with Andrew Cuomo.

I think a major reason for the relationship between BDB and Cuomo being particulary bad was that they both aspired to run for president and Cuomo had to put BDB down if he were to have a shot (not that BDB would have had a chance even otherwise)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 05:19:10 PM »

New York City's Mayors have traditionally had contentious relationships with the Governor of New York.  While Cuomo was a corrupt authoritarian and DeBlasio is a moron at a level beyond description, that was not the whole basis for their tension.

Nelson Rockefeller and John Lindsay had tensions, and that was when Lindsay was a Republican who was on Nixon's short list in 1968.  Hugh Carey and Abraham Beame had tensions; Carey recruited Mario Cuomo to run against Beame in the 1977 Mayoral primary.  (Carey's and Cuomo's relationship took a hit when he endorsed Ed Koch for Mayor after Koch won the Democratic Primary.)  George Pataki had a contentious relationship with Rudy Giuliani (who endorsed Mario Cuomo for reelection in 1994). 

One reason is the politics.  New York City consists of the four (4) most populous counties in the state, plus Staten Island, all of which are overwhelmingly Democratic, whereas NY State as a whole is less Democratic and will elect a Republican statewide every so often.  The last three (3) Republican Governors came from wealthy Westchester County, but all made their fortunes in NYC.  Hochul is the first Democratic Governor in forever who did NOT come from NYC.  (Indeed, she may be the first Democratic Governor of New York from Western New York since Grover Cleveland, and the first Democratic Governor from outside NYC since FDR (from Dutchess County).  What you have in all these cases are people who made their marks in business or formed their political bases in NYC but, as Governor, have had to win support in areas of the state who believe NYC takes THEIR tax dollars and gives them back 50 cents.  (Actually, it's more the other way around.)  They have to consider what folks outside NYC think.  NYC Mayors, on the other hand, expect their Governor to be parochial toward the city, especially when both are Democrats, as they are both alumni of the same political system.

The other area of tension comes from the fact that NYC is a "Class 1" city in New York.  A Class 1 city is a city with over 1 million people.  If you're first response to this is, "Well, gee, NYC is the ONLY city in NY State with over a million people!" my response would be that NY's Legislature knew that and intended it that way.  NYC is treated differently because it IS different; it is a city that is in 5 counties.  It has its own key departments for a number of services that, in other counties, are state services.  NYC has more autonomy than other municipalities.  This means that the Governor and the Legislature don't have the complete range of control over what NYC does.  NYC, for example, has the power to levy a city income tax on all that work their (state residents or not).  No other city or county in NY has the power to levy such a commuter tax.  You can imagine how this sort of thing can create trans-partisan and intrapartisan tensions.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2021, 09:38:49 PM »

I don't think Bill de Blasio even has a good relationship with his wife and children.  Much less anyone else on the planet.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2021, 10:20:38 PM »

There will always be some sort of tension between the Governor of New York and the Mayor of NYC but Hochul at least seems like she knows much better than to engage in petty feuds like Cuomo and deBlasio did.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2021, 11:45:41 PM »

I don't think Bill de Blasio even has a good relationship with his wife and children.  Much less anyone else on the planet.

Andrew Cuomo certainly doesn't.

Excellent post from Fuzzy, although I'd note that Staten Island is not, in fact, overwhelmingly Democratic, especially at the local level--which in turn creates all sorts of intra-NYC tensions of which Bronz is of course the forum's foremost exponent.
SInNYC

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2021, 09:43:09 AM »

New York City's Mayors have traditionally had contentious relationships with the Governor of New York.  While Cuomo was a corrupt authoritarian and DeBlasio is a moron at a level beyond description, that was not the whole basis for their tension.

Nelson Rockefeller and John Lindsay had tensions, and that was when Lindsay was a Republican who was on Nixon's short list in 1968.  Hugh Carey and Abraham Beame had tensions; Carey recruited Mario Cuomo to run against Beame in the 1977 Mayoral primary.  (Carey's and Cuomo's relationship took a hit when he endorsed Ed Koch for Mayor after Koch won the Democratic Primary.)  George Pataki had a contentious relationship with Rudy Giuliani (who endorsed Mario Cuomo for reelection in 1994). 

One reason is the politics.  New York City consists of the four (4) most populous counties in the state, plus Staten Island, all of which are overwhelmingly Democratic, whereas NY State as a whole is less Democratic and will elect a Republican statewide every so often.  The last three (3) Republican Governors came from wealthy Westchester County, but all made their fortunes in NYC.  Hochul is the first Democratic Governor in forever who did NOT come from NYC.  (Indeed, she may be the first Democratic Governor of New York from Western New York since Grover Cleveland, and the first Democratic Governor from outside NYC since FDR (from Dutchess County).  What you have in all these cases are people who made their marks in business or formed their political bases in NYC but, as Governor, have had to win support in areas of the state who believe NYC takes THEIR tax dollars and gives them back 50 cents.  (Actually, it's more the other way around.)  They have to consider what folks outside NYC think.  NYC Mayors, on the other hand, expect their Governor to be parochial toward the city, especially when both are Democrats, as they are both alumni of the same political system.

The other area of tension comes from the fact that NYC is a "Class 1" city in New York.  A Class 1 city is a city with over 1 million people.  If you're first response to this is, "Well, gee, NYC is the ONLY city in NY State with over a million people!" my response would be that NY's Legislature knew that and intended it that way.  NYC is treated differently because it IS different; it is a city that is in 5 counties.  It has its own key departments for a number of services that, in other counties, are state services.  NYC has more autonomy than other municipalities.  This means that the Governor and the Legislature don't have the complete range of control over what NYC does.  NYC, for example, has the power to levy a city income tax on all that work their (state residents or not).  No other city or county in NY has the power to levy such a commuter tax.  You can imagine how this sort of thing can create trans-partisan and intrapartisan tensions.

I generally agree with what you say here, but I'm not sure what you are referring to by "commuter tax" since it was never the same as the income tax and it was also repealed about 20 years back (there is an employer commuter tax and a small MTA tax now). And Yonkers also has a city income tax.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2021, 09:57:41 AM »

I generally agree with what you say here, but I'm not sure what you are referring to by "commuter tax" since it was never the same as the income tax and it was also repealed about 20 years back (there is an employer commuter tax and a small MTA tax now). And Yonkers also has a city income tax.

It's been a while since I've lived in NY.   I would think that Yonkers would have had to get permission from the Legislature to impose such a tax.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2021, 09:58:19 AM »

Can it get much worse? I doubt.

What may play a role is the question if Adams endorses any gubernatorial candidate in the primary next year? His endorsement would for sure carry some weight and Hochul might take offense in him supporting anyone else. That said, I don't think Adams would endorse anyone else than Hochul or James, if latter even runs. The dude is too conservative to express any support for Jumaane Williams. Personally I believe he'll just endorse the Dem candidate for the GE.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies