Just 2% of Latinos use “Latinx” and 30% say they won’t vote for a candidate who uses it
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:14:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Just 2% of Latinos use “Latinx” and 30% say they won’t vote for a candidate who uses it
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Just 2% of Latinos use “Latinx” and 30% say they won’t vote for a candidate who uses it  (Read 1132 times)
BigSerg
7sergi9

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2021, 12:23:58 PM »

Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 12:28:00 PM »

The vast majority of Latinos in this country see themselves as Americans, plain and simple. The sooner Democrats stop treating them like a racial monolith exclusively concerned with immigration and identity politics, the better.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 12:28:26 PM »

Just to clarify since your title is misleading: 30% say they'd be LESS LIKELY to support a candidate that uses that term; it doesn't say 30% will not vote for a candidate that uses the term.

Additional statistics: 49% said using the term made no difference in their support for a candidate, 15% said it would make them more likely to support someone.

Nuance matters.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 12:28:47 PM »

omg it’s almost like I’ve been saying for months that Latinigriega is an absolutely absurd anglicized creation when Latino or Latine even exists and makes sense Spanish speakers that is actually pronounceable in Spanish.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 01:06:57 PM »

I was wrong about this.

I knew that most Latinos did not use the term, but I really didn't think that they disliked it so intensely.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 01:13:51 PM »

It's dumb because people associate it with leftists trying to force feed nonsense that no one cares about. You want to include non-binary people why not just use Latin or Latine? And going on Twitter to watch the LGBTQ+ community lose their minds only adds to this nonsense. People see you, majority supports you, so don't come at others when the majority think you're doing too much with terms in language. Save it for the Metaverse you dimwits.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 01:15:30 PM »

And people say I care too much about this...
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2021, 01:25:04 PM »

I need to see girlboss Sinema say Latinx.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2021, 01:26:12 PM »

I was wrong about this.

I knew that most Latinos did not use the term, but I really didn't think that they disliked it so intensely.

That’s because dems just actively ignore Latinos whenever they openly say they dislike it, in order to try to paint a “controversial between the community” narrative.  Wink + Tongue

When in reality it’s only 2% that is mostly high-education, often upper class, young people using it because they like to feel like they’re making a “language revolution” or something. The rest either never heard of that or dislikes it because it’s unpronounceable and elitist gatekeeping (something actual Latinos cannot say in their language).
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2021, 01:26:29 PM »

If you are concerned with appearing gender-exclusionary, why not just use "Latin"?  

For the most part, English doesn't use gendered suffixes except for imported words anyway.  So why do we need to use any suffix?  It's certainly better than a suffix that is completely ungrammatical in Spanish, and completely unintuitive in pronunciation in any language.

It seems like the only purpose of this word is to look and sound deliberately weird and alienating in order to signal one's loyalty to a niche social cause that isn't of particular concern to Latinos anyway.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2021, 01:33:27 PM »

That's an awesome tweet from Gallego. Need more elected Dems to come out against (or at least stop using) this ridiculous, colonialist term. Even more excited than I already was about his 2024 Senate campaign.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2021, 01:40:56 PM »

If you are concerned with appearing gender-exclusionary, why not just use "Latin"?  

For the most part, English doesn't use gendered suffixes except for imported words anyway.  So why do we need to use any suffix?  It's certainly better than a suffix that is completely ungrammatical in Spanish, and completely unintuitive in pronunciation in any language.

It seems like the only purpose of this word is to look and sound deliberately weird and alienating in order to signal one's loyalty to a niche social cause that isn't of particular concern to Latinos anyway.

This is what I've been saying! I use the term Latin. A lot of my co-workers are Mexican or Central American and think the term is moronic. I will also raise this food for thought. If you're a non-binary Latin person, does this not go against who you are by assigning yourself a label? Or if you're transgender, does this also not make you gender assigning yourself a different label than male or female?

Just call yourselves trans and be done with it or non-binary and embrace that's your social cue. But don't start making up things that people are like... C'mon really? I'm going to harp on this too but the Metaverse can't come soon enough so people who clearly want to be in a video game soon enough. Have fun with that and there is clearly a market for it
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2021, 01:48:40 PM »

I was wrong about this.

Why would anyone appreciate being called something they don't describe themselves as?

It amazes me that the same people who go out of their way to make sure they're using the correct pronouns for someone will also just unilaterally throw away the centuries-old grammar rules of a language they do not speak and that is not part of their culture, simply because it comports with their very educated postmodern worldview.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2021, 01:51:10 PM »

It’s almost like we should let communities label themselves instead of imposing labels
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2021, 01:53:04 PM »

I heard the term Latinx for the first time this morning on an NPR newscast. I kind of cringed...I wouldn't like to be called by that term either.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2021, 01:54:20 PM »

Poll shows that something that has been obvious for years is obvious. News at 11.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2021, 03:00:12 PM »

I was wrong about this.

Why would anyone appreciate being called something they don't describe themselves as?

This is usually the part where someone chimes in about how this isn't true because they know some 20-year old liberal arts college student in South America who uses it on their Instagram or whatever.

Seriously though, me or no one else here never said that zero Latin American people used it, just that the vast majority don't and far more consider it a turnoff than like it. And the evidence keeps coming.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2021, 03:05:01 PM »

Those embracing Latinx have explained that the word — and the trend of making Spanish words gender-inclusive by ending them in an X — is not a product of the U.S. left or white elites, but instead, can be traced back to Latin America and Latinos. It’s also an alternative to Hispanic, a term also criticized for its ties to Spain, which colonized much of Latin America.
This made me laugh. Where do these people think the word Latin comes from?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2021, 03:14:37 PM »

I was wrong about this.

It amazes me that the same people who go out of their way to make sure they're using the correct pronouns for someone will also just unilaterally throw away the centuries-old grammar rules of a language they do not speak and that is not part of their culture, simply because it comports with their very educated postmodern worldview.
You have a good point about how hypocritical the approach used by many wokesters is.
But I would disagree strongly with the idea that "call people by what they call themselves" is how society ought to work.
Exonyms are part and parcel of how human beings talk to and understand each other. Because humanity is diverse in many, many of its aspects - including how we communicate and speak of one another.
Exonyms are as old as organized human society.
It's not "enlightened" to just drop the use of exonym because "that's not how they refer to themselves". It's just being uptight about language, force-fitting yourself to some set of silly rules on yourself that have never been particularly common in history and don't have any particular value.
Am I going to get upset because British people called America "The States" and call us "Yanks"? No. Because I have better use of my time and I'm not going to be an oversensitive human being who doesn't care if I inconvenience other people.
The problem with "Latinx" isn't that it's an exonym, the problem is that it reflects an utterly bonkers sense of what "grammatical gender" means, shoehorning in some misguided "necessary" neuter form into a Spanish-derived word (Arabic and Russian do just fine without it, and respecting human diversity also means respecting that not all languages are the same).
Until people realize that grammatical gender does not necessarily equal biological gender, then this sort of derangement will just continue to mess with linguistic convention.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2021, 03:16:43 PM »

DNC insiders btfo
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2021, 03:19:38 PM »

So is the right word just Latinos when you want to be gender neutral?
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2021, 03:19:40 PM »

Those embracing Latinx have explained that the word — and the trend of making Spanish words gender-inclusive by ending them in an X — is not a product of the U.S. left or white elites, but instead, can be traced back to Latin America and Latinos. It’s also an alternative to Hispanic, a term also criticized for its ties to Spain, which colonized much of Latin America.
This made me laugh. Where do these people think the word Latin comes from?

What has Rome ever done for us?

This....thats what.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2021, 03:31:52 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2021, 03:51:56 PM by Southern Delegate Punxsutawney Phil »

So is the right word just Latinos when you want to be gender neutral?
Yes, exactly.
"Latinos" is the default neutral in Spanish.
At least, that's what the bulk of reasonable people think on the matter.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2021, 03:43:39 PM »

I need to see girlboss Sinema say Latinx.

"White rich progressives"

God I hope that at least some Democrats are waking up to the fact that white rich progressives are their biggest stumbling block right now.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2021, 04:37:52 PM »

I thought it incredibly bad as a formation. It's bad Spanish and thus bad English.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies