COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:24:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 268991 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: April 23, 2020, 09:31:47 PM »

It's not clear to me that we're going down. If you start at March 31 and fit a curve to now it has a negative slope, yes. If you start at April 9, it's almost flat.

There are places where the curve is gradually going down and places where it isn’t.  The troubling thing is that there is no evidence to me that the lockdowns themselves are causing the curves to go down in those places.  These tend to be the places that were already hardest hit, where the decline could purely be attributable to progress toward herd immunity. (I.e. If the curve has declined 25% in NYC, that could just be because 25% of NYC residents were already infected and are now immune.)

TBH, I'm still not convinced by the antibody studies, they haven't been approved fully yet and there have been high rate of false results, there's a good chance I could go and get the antibody test and it would give me a false negative
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #626 on: April 23, 2020, 09:33:48 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2020, 09:55:57 PM by GP270watch »

Dr. Birx's reaction!

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #627 on: April 23, 2020, 09:37:26 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2020, 09:44:12 PM by Nyvin »

For Arch, I get it, but the President knows he is not a doctor. The actual context was not as bad live when he said it. He was just being excited about the results, and they are exciting developments.

As for TSA's commentary, even through Dr Birx and Dr Fauci sometimes cringe about Donald, over the last week, I have noticed a level of disdain from all 5 or 6 doctors against the media.

There has definitely been a shift in the Doctors attitude to the level of misinformation that the media is responsible for. Dr Fauci and the Surgeon General have both got up and expressed concern for being reported correctly.

The doctors need to be quoted correctly, and they are struggling to get good air time.

Unfortunately, in this instance, Trump said something (as was correctly quoted by Arch) completely stupid, and none of the reporting of the actual real scientific results are being discussed.

He literally discussed "injection" (exact word used) of UV light and "disinfectant" (exact word used) into the bodies of infected people, and then said the CDC people were going to "test it".  How was that not as bad live in actual context?  

The guy is a buffoon for saying that in a press conference.   Why do we have these briefings anymore if it's just about Trump's stupidity?
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #628 on: April 23, 2020, 09:38:42 PM »

Unfortunately, in this instance, Trump said something (as was correctly quoted by Arch) completely stupid, and none of the reporting of the actual real scientific results are being discussed.

This is the real Trump Derangement Syndrome, right here folks.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #629 on: April 23, 2020, 09:59:17 PM »

This is such an embarrassment. What the hell is this crap?

Heat kills viruses, but it has the side effect of also killing the person.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #630 on: April 23, 2020, 09:59:34 PM »

There are places where the curve is gradually going down and places where it isn’t.  The troubling thing is that there is no evidence to me that the lockdowns themselves are causing the curves to go down in those places.  These tend to be the places that were already hardest hit, where the decline could purely be attributable to progress toward herd immunity. (I.e. If the curve has declined 25% in NYC, that could just be because 25% of NYC residents were already infected and are now immune.)

The lockdowns have been in place for weeks, and all we have to show for it is tens of thousands of deaths.

I think we can say at this point the lockdowns are a failure.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #631 on: April 23, 2020, 09:59:46 PM »

Is there any hope that plasma will be a treatment?

The University of Wisconsin is researching it but I haven't heard any results.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #632 on: April 23, 2020, 10:12:14 PM »

The Chicken Littles hijacked the thread.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #633 on: April 23, 2020, 10:14:16 PM »

Because of this, those "protests" deserve to lose all the support they ever had.

Anti-freedom racism like that doesn't belong at a rally that claims to stand for freedom.

Montana and Colorado are trying to reopen responsibly after the ongoing disaster. Garbage like this really sets the effort back.
Montana is a State which has obviously seen its peak in new cases and since has seen sharp declines, is pretty rural, and has a higher testing per capita rate than Colorado. To compare the level-headed approach in Montana as opposed to the irrational, Libertarian-pandering approach in Colorado is laughable at best.
Most of the cases in Montana are associated with Big Sky (Gallatin County). People who were infected there are recorded in their place of residence in other states. Montana can close the road between Big Sky and Bozeman and contain the virus at the resort.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #634 on: April 23, 2020, 10:15:57 PM »

It's not clear to me that we're going down. If you start at March 31 and fit a curve to now it has a negative slope, yes. If you start at April 9, it's almost flat.

TBH, I'm still not convinced by the antibody studies, they haven't been approved fully yet and there have been high rate of false results, there's a good chance I could go and get the antibody test and it would give me a false negative
Imo, I would much rather people have a false negative than a false positive.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #635 on: April 23, 2020, 10:16:20 PM »

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #636 on: April 23, 2020, 10:17:40 PM »

Because of this, those "protests" deserve to lose all the support they ever had.

Anti-freedom racism like that doesn't belong at a rally that claims to stand for freedom.

Montana and Colorado are trying to reopen responsibly after the ongoing disaster. Garbage like this really sets the effort back.
Montana is a State which has obviously seen its peak in new cases and since has seen sharp declines, is pretty rural, and has a higher testing per capita rate than Colorado. To compare the level-headed approach in Montana as opposed to the irrational, Libertarian-pandering approach in Colorado is laughable at best.
Most of the cases in Montana are associated with Big Sky (Gallatin County). People who were infected there are recorded in their place of residence in other states. Montana can close the road between Big Sky and Bozeman and contain the virus at the resort.
Even then, the number of cases is so low, and testing in the State is decent enough to target the area. Montana is a prime example of a State that can/should begin reopening. Preferably doing what is possible to prevent out-of-State travel.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #637 on: April 23, 2020, 10:19:01 PM »

The Chicken Littles hijacked the thread.
Chicken Little=Person who understands the severity of this disease and it’s continued spread if unchecked
indietraveler

« Reply #638 on: April 23, 2020, 10:26:53 PM »

Seeing the defense of this here and other places online have been the best. Wonder how Fox will defend this.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #639 on: April 23, 2020, 11:22:49 PM »

Seeing the defense of this here and other places online have been the best. Wonder how Fox will defend this.

I'm betting on a 50/50 split between, "Whathereallymeantwas" and "evul librul meedeeyah putting a negative spin on it".
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #640 on: April 23, 2020, 11:29:59 PM »

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #641 on: April 23, 2020, 11:40:11 PM »

So you'd rather cases go undetected so they can spread the virus further?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #642 on: April 23, 2020, 11:45:54 PM »

This should be done through the Treasury and not the the IRS.

The IRS is part of the Treasury.

What's your point? The IRS is the arm of the treasury that collects taxes. It shouldn't be done through the IRS, the IRS's funding is used as a politcal club by anti-tax crowd and a reward for big dollar donors. Unexpected stimulus like this for disaster relief should be something we plan for going forward and the IRS is not the best government agency to do this. The Treasury itself would be better.

The income tax should be eliminated and replaced by the Fair Tax, one component of which is a dividend payment to each citizen and their family, to compensate for their spending on taxable sales. In a crisis, an exceptional payment would be made.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #643 on: April 24, 2020, 12:18:08 AM »

So you'd rather cases go undetected so they can spread the virus further?
...No.
These are antibody tests.
They are given afterwards to test if someone had Covid-19 long after actually bring sick.
A bunch of false positives would make people go out (feeling like they are immune) and would actually further spread the virus.
False negatives wouldn’t do that.

For actual swab tests, I would prefer more false positives, but that is different.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #644 on: April 24, 2020, 12:23:22 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2020, 12:27:22 AM by GoTfan »

Called it: https://time.com/5826618/remdesivir-leaked-data-who-website/

Remdesivir has failed its clinical trial. Looks like i was actually right about Gilead just wanting to pump up stock prices. What a shock.

The SEC should investigate them immediately.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #645 on: April 24, 2020, 12:25:12 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2020, 12:45:40 AM by Joe Republic »

Boomers in 2018: "These millennials are eating Tide Pods now?!  What a gaggle o' nincompoops and tallywackers, I tell ya!  Malarkey!"

Boomers in 2020: "Hey Barb, hand me that bottle of Clorox and my diabeetus needle.  Let’s see if this works better than the fish tank cleaner we drank last month."
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #646 on: April 24, 2020, 12:56:24 AM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #647 on: April 24, 2020, 01:03:08 AM »

Starting to forget what it's like to not have a brain dead president who recommends we look into injecting bleach on live TV.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #648 on: April 24, 2020, 01:03:34 AM »

Dr. Birx's reaction!

She's dying inside. This clip is amazing.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #649 on: April 24, 2020, 01:29:44 AM »

Someone’s getting in on this for her ‘24 run.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies