PA GOV 2022: Stick a fork in it
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:00:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA GOV 2022: Stick a fork in it
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45
Author Topic: PA GOV 2022: Stick a fork in it  (Read 69387 times)
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: November 07, 2022, 09:17:34 AM »

Shapiro is absolutely a future Presidential candidate. People in the handshake line after the rally yesterday were telling him "Don't stop at Governor." He clearly has studied Obama and I would expect him to run in 2028.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1001 on: November 07, 2022, 10:34:45 AM »

Guy drops one good speech and suddenly he's future president material. Get a grip people, this kind of attitude led to the clown car 2020 primary.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1002 on: November 07, 2022, 10:41:24 AM »

Shapiro is absolutely a future Presidential candidate. People in the handshake line after the rally yesterday were telling him "Don't stop at Governor." He clearly has studied Obama and I would expect him to run in 2028.

I would concur with this. I listened to a portion of Shapiro's speech and he sounded almost exactly like Obama, with the same tone and rhetorical style. He would be a formidable candidate for Democrats, and certainly better than Harris, Newsom, and Buttigieg.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1003 on: November 07, 2022, 10:53:09 AM »

Guy drops one good speech and suddenly he's future president material. Get a grip people, this kind of attitude led to the clown car 2020 primary.

He's been "dropping good speeches" for a while now. Just because you haven't been paying attention doesn't mean the people who have been paying attention are wrong.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #1004 on: November 07, 2022, 11:44:00 AM »

He also appeals to both major wings of the party, as he’s mostly aligned with the establishment wing, but is respected by a lot of progressives like myself. He’d be a Governor who’s never held federal office, meaning he can portray himself as a Washington outsider and doesn’t have a record of controversial votes to defend. Plus, he’s from an absolutely crucial swing state, is obviously charismatic, and is young enough to contrast with the geriatric party leadership. He would be a very strong candidate for a lot of reasons, not just dropping one good speech.

Obviously this is all predicated on him winning tomorrow, if he loses then he’d be incredibly dumb to even try.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1005 on: November 07, 2022, 11:46:34 AM »

He's been "dropping good speeches" for a while now. Just because you haven't been paying attention doesn't mean the people who have been paying attention are wrong.

I always love when people who don't live in PA try to tell us about Shapiro. Just because y'all just learned about him five seconds ago doesn't mean that the rest of us did. We've known for a while how great he is, and how for some reason people outside of PA keep wanting to underestimate him.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1006 on: November 07, 2022, 03:43:44 PM »

I know this is *way* into the future, but am I the only one seeing Shapiro as a Presidential candidate down the line?

No, it's been talked about numerous times in this very thread.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1007 on: November 07, 2022, 05:32:34 PM »

Voting for my libertarian candidate, Matt Hackenberg, but I'll take Shapiro over Mastriano. That guy kinda scares me

If he scares you - don’t waste your vote

I wasted my vote exactly once; I voted for Donald Trump in 2020 out of fear of Joe Biden's policies, and I have regretted that vote ever since. I now vote for the candidate I agree with, and never out of fear.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1008 on: November 08, 2022, 01:44:09 AM »

Voting for my libertarian candidate, Matt Hackenberg, but I'll take Shapiro over Mastriano. That guy kinda scares me

I wasted my vote exactly once; I voted for Donald Trump in 2020 out of fear of Joe Biden's policies, and I have regretted that vote ever since. I now vote for the candidate I agree with, and never out of fear.

I think when you don't like either candidate can be a very hard decision. You obviously don't align with either Oz or Fetterman, so giving your vote to either feels like going against your own values. But at the same time, you know a 3rd party candidate has no shot in the race, but if they get a large enough vote share ig it could make a point. It's just that you're giving away your power to determine the final result in the Senate race.

I'm not saying how you're voting is necessarily right or wrong, just that I can understand why that'd be a weird pickle to be in and I'd be curious how you view it.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1009 on: November 08, 2022, 09:22:13 AM »

I think when you don't like either candidate can be a very hard decision. You obviously don't align with either Oz or Fetterman, so giving your vote to either feels like going against your own values. But at the same time, you know a 3rd party candidate has no shot in the race, but if they get a large enough vote share ig it could make a point. It's just that you're giving away your power to determine the final result in the Senate race.

I'm not saying how you're voting is necessarily right or wrong, just that I can understand why that'd be a weird pickle to be in and I'd be curious how you view it.

I view it as my vote will never be the one vote that decides an election, but it will have a great impact on my own personal morality. Further, a third party vote talley is representative of how much America demands a better choice, and thus becomes a bigger statement then voting R or D is.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1010 on: November 08, 2022, 09:45:50 AM »

Very curious to see the margins for Shapiro in the Philly burbs, if they potentially reach Wolf/Casey margins or are more like Bidens.
citizenZ
citizenq
United States

« Reply #1011 on: November 08, 2022, 01:12:49 PM »

Word on Twitter is that turnout for Mastriano will likely make the PA Gov result much tighter than polls indicate, especially if Oz appears to me moving out in front by a slightly larger lead.
Dani Rose
danixander92
United States

« Reply #1012 on: November 08, 2022, 01:15:43 PM »

Word on Twitter is that turnout for Mastriano will likely make the PA Gov result much tighter than polls indicate, especially if Oz appears to me moving out in front by a slightly larger lead.

"Word on Twitter".
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1013 on: November 08, 2022, 01:16:40 PM »

"Word on Twitter".
If only there was a way to link to specific tweets.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1014 on: November 08, 2022, 01:17:35 PM »

So what does he want, a participation trophy? Second place is still losing, even if it's close
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1015 on: November 08, 2022, 01:22:00 PM »

Word from the guy yellin on the street corner is that Donkey Kong is about to win with 98% of the vote
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #1016 on: November 08, 2022, 01:43:31 PM »

I was chatting with a meth-head on the side of the road earlier today and he told me that the Republicans were likely to net gain 3 seats.

Could happen, probably will, but it's not because he had any intelligent insight. Same thing for whatever is said on Idiots R Us (AKA, Twitter).
ctherainbow
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -5.57

« Reply #1017 on: November 08, 2022, 02:13:12 PM »

Heads up, Luzerne County is having serious issues with races not appearing on the ballot in some precincts, other precincts are running out of paper and had to put a hold on voting while they went to buy more.  Luzerne is always a sh**tshow, but this one’s gonna be especially ugly.
ctherainbow
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -5.57

« Reply #1018 on: November 08, 2022, 02:36:19 PM »

I have reports coming in now that the Luzerne County Chair successfully sued to keep Luzerne County polls open until 10pm to make up the lost time when precincts didn’t have paper to print ballots.

(But I also have reports that they’re running out of provisional ballots now, since they were using them to let people vote while the machines were down)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1019 on: November 08, 2022, 10:24:46 PM »

I saw one clip of a speech from him on YouTube - and it was genuinely very, very good: better than most political speeches I hear nowadays. He wins this - which he will - he could be presidential material later down the road. Governing a large, purple state - comfortably defeating (as I expect he will) a far-rightist to do so - is certainly an impressive resume to have.

I also just heard this from Jonathan Karl - sorry if someone's already posted it, but otherwise I definitely think it's worth sharing: this is going to be the first time since before the GOP's foundation that the Democrats win three gubernatorial races back-to-back in the Keystone State. What will really be the capper is if all three are decided by solid margins, as well - Wolf won by 9.8% in 2014 and 17.1% in 2018; if Shapiro can win by, say, 7 points or more, I'd call that 'solid' (he might, he might not - I know he's winning but a 7 point or greater win is not guaranteed).
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1020 on: November 08, 2022, 10:27:20 PM »

I saw one clip of a speech from him on YouTube - and it was genuinely very, very good: better than most political speeches I hear nowadays. He wins this - which he will - he could be presidential material later down the road. Governing a large, purple state - comfortably defeating (as I expect he will) a far-rightist to do so - is certainly an impressive resume to have.

I also just heard this from Jonathan Karl - sorry if someone's already posted it, but otherwise I definitely think it's worth sharing: this is going to be the first time since before the GOP's foundation that the Democrats win three gubernatorial races back-to-back in the Keystone State. What will really be the capper is if all three are decided by solid margins, as well - Wolf won by 9.8% in 2014 and 17.1% in 2018; if Shapiro can win by, say, 7 points or more, I'd call that 'solid' (he might, he might not - I know he's winning but a 7 point or greater win is not guaranteed).
Shapiro's a rare get. I would not be surprised if he goes somewhere.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1021 on: November 08, 2022, 11:07:20 PM »

Shapiro is projected to have won the PA-GOV race.

Not a surprise at all - I at least have called this one Safe D for a while, but a few GOP hacks (cough cough "citizenq" et. al. will be disappointed) - but as the results continue to trickle in, what'll be interesting to see is his margin.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1022 on: November 08, 2022, 11:15:01 PM »

The Virgin ElectionsGuy vs. the Chad Josh Shapiro!
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1023 on: November 09, 2022, 12:18:57 AM »

Shoutout to Pennsylvania voters for rejecting authoritarian illiberalism. Shapiro isn't my ideal candidate but at least he will allow fair & free elections. I hope voters in Nevada and Arizona will do the same.
Lesson learned: Don't threaten to send electors for a party if the people voted for another candidate and automatically dissociate yourself from anti-Semites if you get caught up in it.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1024 on: November 09, 2022, 08:35:38 AM »

So what does he want, a participation trophy? Second place is still losing, even if it's close
And lo and behold, it wasn't even close. Wow!
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies