2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:43:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida  (Read 57469 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: April 17, 2022, 08:05:48 PM »

What the heck is the purpose of that eastern shore tail?

$10 says DeSantis got lazy/tired of dealing with Tampa precincts.
If you ignore the water, it makes the seat look pretty compact.

Yeah, I think it's about perception.  An average person just looking at this map will think it's one of the least gerrymandered maps in the country because it looks really clean and there aren't a lot of weird shapes.  Ohio's map is very similar in this regard- neither look like gerrymanders to the naked eye.  On the other hand, something like the 2010s Maryland map or original 2010s Pennsylvania map have a bunch of crazy snakes.  That gets average people to feel that it's more of a gerrymander.

It's actually the second most compact map in the nation , I excluded single and dual district maps from this. single obviously and dual because they have a lot of deviation for the average quite easily.

Ohio is not like that and nor did they try. It definetly is quite ugly and  in many areas. Taking Cincinatti to Warren County is disgusting.  The unusual thing about DeSantis's map is it really does not take any incumbent into account other than maybe shoring up Salazar a few points.

The thing is "compactness", while it may affect public perception, doesn't really make a map any more or less gerrymandered, especially in a state like Florida where you have incredibly dense communities next to swamplands where no one lives.

Furthermore, a lot of the actual gerrymanders that do exist (IL, NY, TX) could've been made far more compact but equally brutal, just visually looks nicer.

I would agree that this Florida map is a tier below IL or TX's gerrymander though because it's compact, and the GOP didn't go out of the way to create true max packs or have all 20 of their districts be safe or even likely R in a normal cycle.

I still don't get why DeSantis didn't dismantle 20 if he's really for compactness over minority representation. It would make South Florida look a lot nicer without really affecting partisanship, and FL-20 could still be minority functioning.

He seems to have copied the legislature's South Florida. This may have given them a way to save face? I agree its still a gerrymander but compactness is one of the items listed .It seems atleast DeSantis listened to this unlike the OH GOP.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #751 on: April 17, 2022, 11:31:29 PM »

What are the odds that the courts OK this?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #752 on: April 18, 2022, 05:28:43 AM »

What are the odds that the courts OK this?
Unclear
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #753 on: April 18, 2022, 02:20:53 PM »

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2022/04/18/florida-democrats-criticize-ron-desantis-congressional-redistricting-maps/
“The problem is we in Florida are governed by a GOP that has decided to just throw up its hands and give in to the bully. We did our job. We even gave him a, not we, let me be clear. The Republicans who control the legislature gave him a backup map just in case he didn’t like the constitutional one. And he still vetoed both of them. Because why? Once you give people like this an inch, they take more than a mile, said Rep. Joseph. “This is a, make no mistake about this. This is an attack, a full-frontal attack on the voting rights laws that we have established in this state, both at the federal level and at the state level,” she said.

It seems like Florida Democrats are now admitting the map they all chided as unconstitutional which was the house's 10-4-14 map, is now constitutional.

RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #754 on: April 18, 2022, 02:41:35 PM »

Hot take: Both FL and NY's maps will be used in 2022 but BOTH will be struck down in 2024
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #755 on: April 19, 2022, 10:38:21 AM »

Wat
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #756 on: April 19, 2022, 10:48:20 AM »

Wat
Ok that's it, I'm moving to FL to run for state party chair /s
Pink Panther

« Reply #757 on: April 19, 2022, 10:49:05 AM »

Wat
Remember that this is the FL Dems. They do and say this stuff on a daily basis.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #758 on: April 19, 2022, 12:58:08 PM »

It still can't be understated how much the FL house may have screwed DeSantis over by drawing the Duval only seat. Dems for reason are still stuck on the snake seat but it was pretty clear there was an alternative option available.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #759 on: April 20, 2022, 11:48:09 AM »

I could see the courts ok'ing everything but restoring the old FL-5 for a 19-9.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #760 on: April 20, 2022, 11:48:59 AM »

They could play it safe and do the State legislature's duval only district
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #761 on: April 20, 2022, 12:00:53 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2022, 12:20:05 PM by lfromnj »

Nothing is likely going to happen for 2022 , restoring the old FL 5th is unlikely and Democrats will likely drop that once Al Lawson retires as there is no more need for such a district anymore.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #762 on: April 20, 2022, 12:21:04 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/ron-desantis-targets-black-held-congressional-seats-party-rcna19771
“This is DeSantis’ M.O.: What he cares about, he cares about deeply. And if you get in his way, he’s going to roll through you,” said state Sen. Jeff Brandes, a Tampa Republican. “Members don’t know him and don’t know what he’s going to do. And that not knowing is part of the reason they fear him.”

Brandes said DeSantis is particularly tough for Florida Republicans to go up against because of his skyrocketing profile within the party.

“This whole session was a showcase for DeSantis — a trial balloon for a White House campaign — and nationally he’s a 600-pound gorilla with the possibility of becoming an 800-pound gorilla, especially if he gets his way with these maps,” Brandes said.

Party Line other than Annette Taddeo who boycotted the session. So it does include senator Brandes voting with the Rs.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #763 on: April 20, 2022, 04:52:22 PM »

Weird to think DeSantis map really only has 3 true Dem packs. Everything else is less than Biden + 20 iirc
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #764 on: April 20, 2022, 05:55:41 PM »

Weird to think DeSantis map really only has 3 true Dem packs. Everything else is less than Biden + 20 iirc
Florida political geography more than anything. This still is an egregious gerrymander, Florida just seems to not have the same degree of geographical polarization as most other states and when you combine that with the VRA districts and the physical geography, a "true" pack is hard to make.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #765 on: April 21, 2022, 09:10:55 AM »

BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #766 on: April 21, 2022, 12:30:45 PM »

BREAKING: Florida man passes bad congressional map that will inevitably be challenged in court.

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #767 on: April 22, 2022, 11:45:41 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2022, 11:51:14 AM by lfromnj »

https://lwvfl.org/league-of-women-voters-of-florida-and-others-sue-over-gov-desantis-congressional-map/
First lawsuit
Overall fairly poor. Complaints about CD26 now 28 being made unwinnable despite it being the exact same margin. Complains about Orlando in a partisan perspective without even bringing up my specific complaint regarding Deland.  Complains about splitting St.Pete but then asks for the senate map which also splits St.Pete(slightly)

Also decides to complain about compactness which is pointless. No judge is going to strike this map down on being uncompact.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #768 on: April 22, 2022, 12:02:33 PM »

Hopefully smarter people will take over later, but if this is struck down, I'm not expecting more than FL-5 being made into a duval only district
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #769 on: April 22, 2022, 12:05:06 PM »

https://lwvfl.org/league-of-women-voters-of-florida-and-others-sue-over-gov-desantis-congressional-map/
First lawsuit
Overall fairly poor. Complaints about CD26 now 28 being made unwinnable despite it being the exact same margin. Complains about Orlando in a partisan perspective without even bringing up my specific complaint regarding Deland.  Complains about splitting St.Pete but then asks for the senate map which also splits St.Pete(slightly)

Also decides to complain about compactness which is pointless. No judge is going to strike this map down on being uncompact.

From reading it, I think the main thrust of the argument is that the map constitutes diminishment, which is probably smart. Diminishment is explicitly textually prohibited in the Florida constitution and it's basically impossible to argue that the map doesn't constitute diminishment. Anyway this was filed in Florida's 2nd circuit where it might actually have a chance. Worth keeping an eye on.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #770 on: April 22, 2022, 12:05:07 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2022, 12:08:38 PM by lfromnj »

Hopefully smarter people will take over later, but if this is struck down, I'm not expecting more than FL-5 being made into a duval only district

I would assume the St.Pete -Tampa district being cancelled as well. Unlikely to see any "rescue" for Orlando Democrats. Wouldn't be impossible to see the Miami Gerrymander cancelled but the Democrats voted for it and are asking for the senate map.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #771 on: April 22, 2022, 12:05:52 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2022, 12:28:47 PM by lfromnj »

First lawsuit

From reading it, I think the main thrust of the argument is that the map constitutes diminishment, which is probably smart. Diminishment is explicitly textually prohibited in the Florida constitution and it's basically impossible to argue that the map doesn't constitute diminishment. Anyway this was filed in Florida's 2nd circuit where it might actually have a chance. Worth keeping an eye on.

Another lawsuit with more resources should come. I am also not sure about the legality of this specific lawsuit considering DeSantis didn't even sign the map yet. I agree it shouldn't be ignored but this one is fairly weak. It even includes racial gerrymandering aspects in FL 14th when that clearly isn't a racial gerrymander.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #772 on: April 22, 2022, 12:41:39 PM »

Again there is probably a valid complaint for Salazar's district but FL 26/28 is literally the exact same margin as before. This is dumb.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #773 on: April 22, 2022, 12:57:30 PM »

https://www.cracked.com/image-pictofact-8489-15-weird-bits-of-news-that-make-our-high-school-selves-look-normal

Not sure why this brouhaha made the list but okay. Guess his partying with hot high school seniors while teaching post-college would be relatively normal from the perspective of a horny teenage boy

2. Florida’s governor has been given power to gerrymander as he pleases.

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #774 on: April 22, 2022, 02:12:47 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2022, 02:34:22 PM by lfromnj »

DeSantis says he already signed the maps.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies