Brazilian presidential and general elections 2022 (1st round: October 2nd, 2nd round: October 30th)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:40:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Brazilian presidential and general elections 2022 (1st round: October 2nd, 2nd round: October 30th)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 89
Author Topic: Brazilian presidential and general elections 2022 (1st round: October 2nd, 2nd round: October 30th)  (Read 148680 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: October 02, 2022, 07:22:16 PM »

It feels very reminiscient of 2018, except with a few states flipped and the margins much stronger for the left/weaker for the right.
If anybody has state-by-state results for the first (or second) round of 2018, I can try to make an Atlas-style swing map to go with this.
https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resultados_da_elei%C3%A7%C3%A3o_presidencial_no_Brasil_em_2018
Here you go
Pivaru
Rookie
Brazil

P P

« Reply #1026 on: October 02, 2022, 07:23:07 PM »

The Santa Catarina gubernatorial race is going to the second round, Jorginho Melo, from PL and Décio Lima, from PT will advance. The incumbent governor, Carlos Moises is out. Melo is obviously very favored.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #1027 on: October 02, 2022, 07:23:27 PM »

Man, polling is a joke. A joke.

We are looking at a *8 point* polling miss in the Brazilian election

To be fair Globe Elections UN final poll had a 4.2% lead for Lula which matches his current lead.  Perhaps Globe Elections UN is the Trafalgar of Brazil?

Someone remind me to go into the Israeli election thread in a month and go "Holy crap polling is so good" when the polls end up being within 1 seat of the final margin.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1028 on: October 02, 2022, 07:24:15 PM »

Bolsonaro now also crosses 50 million
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1029 on: October 02, 2022, 07:24:25 PM »

Bolsonaro’s chief of staff Ciro Nogueira told the president’s supporters not to answer to polls in the second round. “After the scandal they committed, all voters of President Bolsonaro have only one answer to pollsters: Not to respond to any of them until the end of the election,” Nogueira said in a tweet.

This will make all second-round election polls useless.

Again, the whole "data blackout" of the Census had a big impact. The changes in the country, mainly in terms of religion, must be bigger than one may expect.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1030 on: October 02, 2022, 07:27:23 PM »

Bolsonaro’s chief of staff Ciro Nogueira told the president’s supporters not to answer to polls in the second round. “After the scandal they committed, all voters of President Bolsonaro have only one answer to pollsters: Not to respond to any of them until the end of the election,” Nogueira said in a tweet.

Again, the whole "data blackout" of the Census had a big impact. The changes in the country, mainly in terms of religion, must be bigger than one may expect.
What % of Bolsonaro's voters are some kind of evangelical?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1031 on: October 02, 2022, 07:27:56 PM »

CNN Brasil, in classic US fashion and dragging its heels, just projected a second round after the literal government calls it, lol.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1032 on: October 02, 2022, 07:28:12 PM »

The reason is that second-round polls will clearly show Bolsonaro well behind Lula.  For the Bolsonaro camp to make sure their voters show up the polls have to be discredited.  Of course, the first round polls did not need much help to achieve this Bolsonaro camp goal.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1033 on: October 02, 2022, 07:28:31 PM »

Official website:

Eleição matematicamente definida (Segundo turno)
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1034 on: October 02, 2022, 07:28:43 PM »

2nd round now official.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1035 on: October 02, 2022, 07:28:49 PM »

I've seen some tweets from Brazilian Lula supporters and a lot of them are very disappointed over these  1st round results. They feel that Bolsonaro should have been trounced like the polls suggested (and because Bolsonaro is evil).

Honestly, I don't blame them. I don't trust that Lula will win in the 2nd round (until the results are official and there's no legitimate coup attempt by Bolsonaro). I'm not putting my confidence in Brazilian voters in 2022. Sorry.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1036 on: October 02, 2022, 07:29:04 PM »

I don't know if there's any way to know this exactly, but Evangelicals in Brazil are way, way, way to the right of Catholics, that much is for sure.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1037 on: October 02, 2022, 07:29:13 PM »

CNN Brasil, in classic US fashion and dragging its heels, just projected a second round, lol.

I guess they are still haunted by the USA 2000 fiasco
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #1038 on: October 02, 2022, 07:30:15 PM »

CNN Brasil, in classic US fashion and dragging its heels, just projected a second round, lol.

I guess they are still haunted by the USA 2000 fiasco

Literally the election commission called it - that's the only reason why they even bothered calling it this late.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1039 on: October 02, 2022, 07:30:30 PM »

He was leading Evangelicals like almost 2 to 1.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1040 on: October 02, 2022, 07:33:36 PM »

He was leading Evangelicals like almost 2 to 1.
I guess that means something in the ballpark of the low 40s to early 50s, then.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #1041 on: October 02, 2022, 07:34:17 PM »

If anyone's wondering how the right wing Brazilians are reacting, here's an example:

Quote from: Right Wing Brazilian
Excellent result for Bolsonaro and for the right in Brazil! We won what we needed in the 1st round: we won the majority of senators and a significant federal and state bench. That can't be changed later. We also have governors well on their way. More than that: we showed that the pollsters were really all wrong. They had Lula in front of Bolso, but the difference was much smaller than they claimed. Bolsonaro got a lot more votes than they thought.

Second round is another election. It won't be 4 percentage points that will make a difference. Ball forward, we have to use everything to win this battle. I think the difficulty was the lack of candidates and structure in the northeast. We can improve in the 2nd round. I will ask earnestly for those who follow me to avoid criticizing northeast voters. They have the right to vote for whoever they want. This does not make them better or worse than all other voters in Brazil. Positive attitude: let's win this one!

And of course: There was no fraud. Stop with the loser talk. That doesn't help at all. Ball forward and we'll win this game.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1042 on: October 02, 2022, 07:37:58 PM »

I don't know if there's any way to know this exactly, but Evangelicals in Brazil are way, way, way to the right of Catholics, that much is for sure.

All I know is that they're capital 'H' Heretics and thus not in any meaningful sense Christians, but there's no clear relationship between that and their politics, even if there might be some rather more complex ones.
rones358
« Reply #1043 on: October 02, 2022, 07:41:02 PM »

I always thought the polling was wrong. I thought it was super questionable these polls that had the between 50-60% of the electorate with a household income of up to 2 minimum salaries when the latest study in 2021 by PNAD had the number at 41%. Bolsonaro was generally ahead in all other income categories with a household income above 2 minimum salaries. Additionally I thought the state polling was an absolute joke with Lula winning comfortable in states like Sao Paulo, Rio or Rio Grande do Sul.

However people that want to see Bolsonaro defeated need not despair, this is a classic case of falling below expectations in terms of the margin, but if the goal was to beat Bolsonaro, that is still very likely to happen. Lula is more likely to increase his lead (slightly) in the 2nd round than lose it.

The congress that its been elected is pretty conservative, and the governors outside of the North East are predominantly allied to Bolsonaro. Lula is very much likely to win in the 2nd round but he will have a very hostile congress and will have to govern a lot more moderate than many of his supporters would like. This is going to be a challenge.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #1044 on: October 02, 2022, 07:44:19 PM »

Looking like a 5-point win for Lula at this point (48.3-43.3). Assuming universal turnout parity in the second round (I know, but bear with it), even just a bit over half of Gomes voters going for him basically puts Lula at 50. That's ignoring anyone else who I'm sure will pad it a bit more.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1045 on: October 02, 2022, 07:47:57 PM »

Lula has now crossed 48%.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1046 on: October 02, 2022, 07:48:02 PM »

Bolsonaro's raw vote is higher than last time. Is this due to higher turnout (as a percentage) or is it because of population growth?
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1047 on: October 02, 2022, 07:52:54 PM »

Is 48.5% possible? If so, I'll be completely satisfied with tonights results and consider it a victory worth celebration.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1048 on: October 02, 2022, 07:55:05 PM »

Is 48.5% possible? If so, I'll be completely satisfied with tonights results and consider it a victory worth celebration.

Probably right around there, 48.4% or so if consistent with the last few batches that have come in.

Some of the precincts should be 70-80% Lula based on how they voted in 2018.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1049 on: October 02, 2022, 07:55:20 PM »

Swing map. Should be accurate within 1-2%, vote totals changed throughout.

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 89  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies