Canada General Discussion (2019-)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:21:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (2019-)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 124 125 ... 141
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion (2019-)  (Read 192831 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2975 on: September 19, 2023, 09:33:10 AM »

Honestly, the world would be a better place if immigrants just left behind whatever their native countries' issues were once they go to another country. Be it middle eastern muslims trying to bring their religious cultures or indian sikhs trying to bring their seperatist movements and the like. You came to a new country for a better future, just keep the other stuff for when you go back home. I know that this goes against Canada's idea of a "salad bowl" or whatever their concept of multiculturalism is, but I'm sure some canadians would agree. 

But in the real world, this is pie in the sky and disregards human nature. I mean, we Brits also had it with "Irish Americans" (whose ancestors sometimes emigrated ages ago) ignorantly boosting the IRA.
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #2976 on: September 19, 2023, 10:02:44 AM »

Honestly, the world would be a better place if immigrants just left behind whatever their native countries' issues were once they go to another country. Be it middle eastern muslims trying to bring their religious cultures or indian sikhs trying to bring their seperatist movements and the like. You came to a new country for a better future, just keep the other stuff for when you go back home. I know that this goes against Canada's idea of a "salad bowl" or whatever their concept of multiculturalism is, but I'm sure some canadians would agree. 

But in the real world, this is pie in the sky and disregards human nature. I mean, we Brits also had it with "Irish Americans" (whose ancestors sometimes emigrated ages ago) ignorantly boosting the IRA.

Yeah but like 2952-0-0 said above, the issue wouldn't be as bad if political leaders didn't try to pander to seclusive communities because inevitably, they'll then bring these issues to the forefront. That's exactly what seems to have happened with Trudeau. Why couldn't he come out as strongly against this khalinstan movement like his US and UK counterparts did? Fear of losing sikh votes? Though I guess every country has these kind of issues (looking at US and cubans in Florida).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2977 on: September 19, 2023, 11:17:52 AM »

Speaking of the Irish, they brought their issues over here as well. I mean, the Fenians were involved in our first political assassination.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2978 on: September 19, 2023, 11:35:00 AM »

Speaking of the Irish, they brought their issues over here as well. I mean, the Fenians were involved in our first political assassination.

Yes, but that calls for tougher measures against all foreign interference. The Indians thought they could get away with murder because they got away with many lesser actions. We would never see these antics in the US, Israel, or Singapore, which are all diverse immigrant-based countries home to people that foreign security services would want to target.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2979 on: September 19, 2023, 02:13:09 PM »

Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #2980 on: September 19, 2023, 07:22:03 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2023, 07:44:30 PM by I hate NIMBYs »

This is going to sound like "he was no angel" deflection but is it true that the organisation Nijjar was part of (Khalinstad or something) was openly calling for the assassination of indian diplomats in Canada? That's what I'm seeing bombarded in every indian subforum (on reddit) that I occasionally visit. They seem to be pretty universally on India's side (except the sikh specific ones).

I agree with you but I don't think this is issue in particular is an question of immigrants importing foreign tensions. There is a Khalistani sympathy problem in Canada but it has largely been dormant since the 1990s. Very few Canadian Sikhs actually sympathize with the Khalistani movement.

The most recent tensions seem to be an attempt by the Indian government to revive the issue in order to enflame diaspora tensions with the goal of influencing politics in a Western country.

Granted, Trudeau is not a very competent statesman, so his response to this issue has been subpar, to say the least. With Trudeau being the dimwit he is, he has unfortunately fallen into Modi's trap.

Harlow

« Reply #2981 on: September 19, 2023, 08:10:10 PM »

Dominic Cardy is apparently going to launch a new "centrist" political party tomorrow.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2982 on: September 19, 2023, 10:39:38 PM »

The real reason behind the Indo-Canadian conflict.

Indians in Toronto

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxBIqJ2o9ag/
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2983 on: September 19, 2023, 10:47:12 PM »

I wonder if there is any chance Trudeau uses this to overall smartly restrict Indian immigration to more manageable levels while having political cover. Seems like the smartest play and the right for Canada, and US citizens.
Neo-Malthusian Misanthrope
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #2984 on: September 20, 2023, 12:23:24 AM »

I wonder if there is any chance Trudeau uses this to overall smartly restrict Indian immigration to more manageable levels while having political cover. Seems like the smartest play and the right for Canada, and US citizens.

The crux of this issue is whether India assassinated a Canadian citizen on Canadian soil, but what I've read tells me this guy was here for 20 years after having multiple asylum claims rejected before somehow becoming a citizen in 2015. Pointing to that is a good way to make political hay of the situation.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2985 on: September 20, 2023, 12:56:26 AM »
« Edited: September 20, 2023, 02:08:13 AM by Benjamin Frank »

This is going to sound like "he was no angel" deflection but is it true that the organisation Nijjar was part of (Khalinstad or something) was openly calling for the assassination of indian diplomats in Canada? That's what I'm seeing bombarded in every indian subforum (on reddit) that I occasionally visit. They seem to be pretty universally on India's side (except the sikh specific ones).

I agree with you but I don't think this is issue in particular is an question of immigrants importing foreign tensions. There is a Khalistani sympathy problem in Canada but it has largely been dormant since the 1990s. Very few Canadian Sikhs actually sympathize with the Khalistani movement.

The most recent tensions seem to be an attempt by the Indian government to revive the issue in order to enflame diaspora tensions with the goal of influencing politics in a Western country.

Granted, Trudeau is not a very competent statesman, so his response to this issue has been subpar, to say the least. With Trudeau being the dimwit he is, he has unfortunately fallen into Modi's trap.

I think you are behind the times on the issue. It seems very clear that in the years that Modi got elected Prime Minister in India that support for the seperate Sikh state of Khalistan has surged among the diaspora and, no doubt, within India as well.

Over 200,000 Sikhs take part in Khalistan referendums held in four countries
Sikh community in UK, Geneva, Italy and Canada actively participated in a huge number
https://tribune.com.pk/story/2379266/over-200000-sikhs-take-part-in-khalistan-referendums-held-in-four-countries

This is before the 'referendum' in Surrey.

"The first Khalistan referendum was held on October 31, 2021, in the UK, in which 30,000 Sikhs participated. Over 6,000 people voted for a sovereign Sikh state in Geneva on December 10, last year.

A similar exercise was held in Italy with the participation of 62,000 Sikhs and around 110,000 in Canada."

I don't know what's going on in India, but I really doubt that Modi is promoting this.
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #2986 on: September 20, 2023, 06:24:58 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2023, 06:19:04 AM by I hate NIMBYs »

I think you are behind the times on the issue. It seems very clear that in the years that Modi got elected Prime Minister in India that support for the seperate Sikh state of Khalistan has surged among the diaspora and, no doubt, within India as well.

Sikh community in UK, Geneva, Italy and Canada actively participated in a huge number
https://tribune.com.pk/story/2379266/over-200000-sikhs-take-part-in-khalistan-referendums-held-in-four-countries

"The first Khalistan referendum was held on October 31, 2021, in the UK, in which 30,000 Sikhs participated. Over 6,000 people voted for a sovereign Sikh state in Geneva on December 10, last year.

A similar exercise was held in Italy with the participation of 62,000 Sikhs and around 110,000 in Canada."

I don't know what's going on in India, but I really doubt that Modi is promoting this.

I think it would be wise to be sceptical of those numbers. Those figures are provided by the secessionist group themselves, who have a vested interest in overestimating the amount of Sikhs who support their cause.

I didn't mean that Modi is promoting the Khalistan referendums. What I meant was that their paranoid fixation on the threat of the Khalistani movement when dealing with other states (especially in Canada in particular, since the referendum also occurred in other countries with Sikh diasporas that India seems far less concerned about) and the alleged killing of the Sikh activist (if New Delhi was really involved in that) seem to be an attempt by the Indian government to use diaspora tensions to influence Canadian politics in their favour. I highly doubt that a 'referendum' and some activists in Canada, even if they espouse violent rhetoric, are a serious threat to India as a state. It seems like Modi thinks that if he can make Hindus in Canada view Sikhs as a threat they will vote for a political party that is more favourable to New Delhi's interests.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2987 on: September 20, 2023, 08:42:11 AM »

Self-selecting unofficial "referendums" are pretty meaningless tbh.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2988 on: September 20, 2023, 03:49:35 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2023, 01:59:41 AM by Benjamin Frank »

I think it would be wise to be sceptical of those numbers. Those figures are provided by the secessionist group themselves, who have a vested interest in overestimating the amount of Sikhs who support their cause.

I didn't mean that Modi is promoting the Khalistan referendums. What I meant was that their paranoid fixation on the threat of the Khalistani movement when dealing with other states (especially in Canada in particular, since the referendum also occured in other countries with Sikh diasporas that India seems far less concerned about) and the alleged killing of the Sikh activist (if New Delhi was really involved in that) seem to be an attempt by the Indian government to use diaspora tensions to influence Canadian politics in their favour. I highly doubt that a 'referendum' and some activists in Canada, even if they espouse violent rhetoric, are a serious threat to India as a state. It seems like Modi thinks that if he can make Hindus in Canada view Sikhs as a threat they will vote for a political party that is more favourable to New Delhi's interests.

I certainly get the first point on the number of voters, but the ballot totals are public.

I don't know that Modi is less concerned about the Sikh diaspora in Italy, for instance. We here in Canada might just not be all that familiar.

I doubt that Modi is playing some '4D chess.' I think he's made it clear that he is an authoritarian Hindu Supremicist who believes that Canada should crack down on Sikh 'terrorists' (with 'terrorist' defined as anybody who doesn't agree with Hindu nationalism.) I don't think it's more complicated than that.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2989 on: September 21, 2023, 08:23:37 AM »

I disagree. Restricting Indian immigration would show the world that Canada is afraid of Modi. Canada needs to increase immigration from India, if anything. It sends a better message: “unlike India, Canada is a free nation”
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #2990 on: September 21, 2023, 08:46:36 AM »

I disagree. Restricting Indian immigration would show the world that Canada is afraid of Modi. Canada needs to increase immigration from India, if anything. It sends a better message: “unlike India, Canada is a free nation”
lmao. Are you aware of the current immigration situatuon in Canada and its effect on the housing crisis and cost of living? The strip mall diploma mills?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2991 on: September 21, 2023, 09:20:57 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2023, 09:25:23 AM by Ferguson97 »

lmao. Are you aware of the current immigration situatuon in Canada and its effect on the housing crisis and cost of living? The strip mall diploma mills?

The idea that immigrants are to blame for housing shortages is nonsensical. Housing shortages are evidence of insufficient supply, not too much demand. Building more housing would solve the problem. Secondly, the implication that a citizen is more deserving of housing than a citizen is xenophobic.

Any time someone is blaming “immigrants” for a societal ill, it’s a distraction from the actual causes.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2992 on: September 21, 2023, 09:24:48 AM »

The idea that immigrants are to blame for housing shortages is nonsensical. Housing shortages are evidence of insufficient supply, not too much demand. Building more housing would solve the problem. Secondly, the implication that a citizen is more deserving of housing than a citizen is xenophobic.

Ok and until you build enough housing , there should be a cut in immigration levels . Maybe doing so will actually incentivize progressives to increase housing supply. Also your last point is ridiculous as a nation’s first duty is to its citizens and not to everyone in the world and it’s lol worthy to think otherwise.

Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #2993 on: September 21, 2023, 09:28:29 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2023, 09:36:40 AM by Aurelius2 »

Any time someone is blaming “immigrants” for a societal ill, it’s a distraction from the actual causes.
Or it means immigration is the cause. Sometimes this is the case, perish the thought!

The current situation in Canada is such a case. Cost of living is through the roof as Trudeau's government is bringing in well over a million immigrants a year in a country of under 40 million. Hundreds of thousands of these are arriving on international student visas to attend diploma mill "colleges" in strip malls that are made up entirely of these visa holders, have terrible outcomes, and are mostly vehicles for roundabout immigration.

You can't magically wave a wand and build millions of housing units overnight. Canada is in crisis and immigration must be dramatically reduced to at least pre-2019 levels as part of the solution.

Your politics have become increasingly unmoored from reality. You are clearly operating on a separate plane in which the things you want to be true, because they make you feel good, are actually true, 100% of the time and without exception.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2994 on: September 21, 2023, 09:29:53 AM »

Ok and until you build enough housing , there should be a cut in immigration levels . Maybe doing so will actually incentivize progressives to increase housing supply. Also your last point is ridiculous as a nation’s first duty is to its citizens and not to everyone in the world and it’s lol worthy to think otherwise.

Framing a country’s responsibilities as a binary “citizen” vs “everyone else” is irresponsible. Obviously immigrants should have some level of privileges afforded to them. Immigrants have rights and protections too.

Punishing immigrants for the failures of the local Canadian leaders is unfair,
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #2995 on: September 21, 2023, 09:30:54 AM »

Framing a country’s responsibilities as a binary “citizen” vs “everyone else” is irresponsible. Obviously immigrants should have some level of privileges afforded to them. Immigrants have rights and protections too.

Punishing is the wrong way to frame it -- immigrants have no right to come to Canada.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2996 on: September 21, 2023, 09:33:09 AM »

Part of the failure of Canadian leaders is a massive massive increase in immigration from what they historically brought in . There is absolutely no reason whatsoever Canada should be accepting this many new immigrants

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63643912.amp

Even immigrants themselves once they become Permanent Residents or citizens are turning against this policy as it’s insane
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2997 on: September 21, 2023, 04:47:38 PM »

Or it means immigration is the cause. Sometimes this is the case, perish the thought!

The current situation in Canada is such a case. Cost of living is through the roof as Trudeau's government is bringing in well over a million immigrants a year in a country of under 40 million. Hundreds of thousands of these are arriving on international student visas to attend diploma mill "colleges" in strip malls that are made up entirely of these visa holders, have terrible outcomes, and are mostly vehicles for roundabout immigration.

You can't magically wave a wand and build millions of housing units overnight. Canada is in crisis and immigration must be dramatically reduced to at least pre-2019 levels as part of the solution.

Your politics have become increasingly unmoored from reality. You are clearly operating on a separate plane in which the things you want to be true, because they make you feel good, are actually true, 100% of the time and without exception.

Immigration in Canada should return to Harper era numbers .
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #2998 on: September 21, 2023, 04:51:59 PM »

I only said pre-2019 because I was arguing with Fergie. It does need to drop tremendously for awhile until the impact of the last 3 years of insane immigration levels has worn off.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2999 on: September 21, 2023, 04:55:05 PM »

I only said pre-2019 because I was arguing with Fergie. It does need to drop tremendously for awhile until the impact of the last 3 years of insane immigration levels has worn off.

Oh I absolutely agree , which means probably even lower than Harper era numbers for a 3-4 years as well . The amount of student visas they give out is insane and that’s probably the first area they should make drastic cuts in
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 124 125 ... 141  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies