DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:56:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 161 162 163 [164] 165 166 167 168 169 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 271488 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4075 on: January 12, 2021, 09:18:00 PM »

Members can bring guns to Capitol grounds, but not the floor of the House. (and let's face it, the prohibition on the floor is more a matter of decorum than security)

I read up more on this, and it seems that the metal detectors were installed by the House Sergeant-at-Arms, and applies only when entering the House floor, not the Capitol buildings themselves. So basically, Republican members are being babies in a way, but I still don't see why the honor system cannot be used for members like it was in the past.

You seriously don't see a problem with letting members of Congress carry guns on the floor? Do you want a murder to happen?

When is the last time a murder happened on the floor of the House or Senate? And if someone committed murder, do you think it would more likely be by a member of Congress or a staffer/visitor?

Guns should definitely not be allowed on the floor - but it's a matter of decorum, not safety, in the case of members.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4076 on: January 12, 2021, 09:19:47 PM »

Feel free to expel Lauren Boebert for something like this. Easy way to earn her more attention and popularity on the right, for expelling her over something as small potatoes as this. I feel sure she'd be returned in the resulting special election.

Aiding and abetting terrorists in the Capitol in their attempts to assassinate the Speaker of the House is not "small potatoes."

And I'm f--king sick of negotiating with terrorists. I don't care how it looks or who is martyred or whatever the f--k. This CANNOT be tolerated. Period.
you aware of how her district would likely see her being expelled due to her insistence on carrying guns in the Capitol, aren't you?

I really don't care you, do you?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4077 on: January 12, 2021, 09:24:05 PM »

Members can bring guns to Capitol grounds, but not the floor of the House. (and let's face it, the prohibition on the floor is more a matter of decorum than security)

I read up more on this, and it seems that the metal detectors were installed by the House Sergeant-at-Arms, and applies only when entering the House floor, not the Capitol buildings themselves. So basically, Republican members are being babies in a way, but I still don't see why the honor system cannot be used for members like it was in the past.

You seriously don't see a problem with letting members of Congress carry guns on the floor? Do you want a murder to happen?

When is the last time a murder happened on the floor of the House or Senate? And if someone committed murder, do you think it would more likely be by a member of Congress or a staffer/visitor?

Guns should definitely not be allowed on the floor - but it's a matter of decorum, not safety, in the case of members.

I believe that there is significant risk of Lauren Boebert shooting one of her Democratic colleagues in a fit of rage.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4078 on: January 12, 2021, 09:24:24 PM »

Feel free to expel Lauren Boebert for something like this. Easy way to earn her more attention and popularity on the right, for expelling her over something as small potatoes as this. I feel sure she'd be returned in the resulting special election.

Aiding and abetting terrorists in the Capitol in their attempts to assassinate the Speaker of the House is not "small potatoes."

And I'm f--king sick of negotiating with terrorists. I don't care how it looks or who is martyred or whatever the f--k. This CANNOT be tolerated. Period.
you aware of how her district would likely see her being expelled due to her insistence on carrying guns in the Capitol, aren't you?

>says they care about democracy
>also wants to expel other party rep for behaving exactly in line with how she campaigned before voting in election mere months ago
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4079 on: January 12, 2021, 09:40:09 PM »

Louie Gohmert is a cartoon character.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #4080 on: January 12, 2021, 09:40:20 PM »

>also wants to expel other party rep for behaving exactly in line with how she campaigned before voting in election mere months ago

By this logic, if she was elected campaigning as a Nazi who wants to exterminate the Jews, we should be cool with it if she shoots Jon Ossoff in the face. Apparently I’m supposed to be concerned about the optics of expelling her in her district, as if they could elect anyone worse anyway.

LOL, what the f—k drugs are you taking, man? What are you on about? What kind of absurd, illogical nonsense even IS this? It’s totally incoherent, vacuous babble and a garbage non-argument even by typical “both sides” standards.

This woman gave information to terrorists seeking to assassinate Nancy Pelosi about where to find her as their insurrection was ongoing. She implied they were patriots re-enacting “1776” for their insurrection at the same time. She now refuses to follow Capitol rules, but that’s the absolute least of her issues.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4081 on: January 12, 2021, 09:54:24 PM »

More Republicans are now freaking out and refusing to go through the medal detector.

Is there someone (media) showing this live?.
If so, where.

Many Republicans in Congress have lost their minds, if they even had minds to begin with. As I've said multiple times before, it alarms me that such ignorant, selfish, and arrogant people are in our national legislature, and that they walk the halls of Congress.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4082 on: January 12, 2021, 10:01:26 PM »

By this logic, if she was elected campaigning as a Nazi who wants to exterminate the Jews, we should be cool with it if she shoots Jon Ossoff in the face. Apparently I’m supposed to be concerned about the optics of expelling her in her district, as if they could elect anyone worse anyway.

LOL, what the f—k drugs are you taking, man? What are you on about? What kind of absurd, illogical nonsense even IS this? It’s totally incoherent, vacuous babble and a garbage non-argument even by typical “both sides” standards.

This woman gave information to terrorists seeking to assassinate Nancy Pelosi about where to find her as their insurrection was ongoing. She implied they were patriots re-enacting “1776” for their insurrection at the same time. She now refuses to follow Capitol rules, but that’s the absolute least of her issues.
Expelling Boebert is a manifestly undemocratic idea. It's a metaphorical pig. These arguments that are backing it up are hackish nonsense, are the metaphorical lipstick. She wants to carry a gun into the capitol because she is a pro-gun activist-turned-congresswoman, and she was elected partially on basis of that platform.
Fact is, CO-03 knew what they were getting in when they elected her.
Optics matter because besides being wrong on a moral level, it's a terrible political idea even leaving that aside.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #4083 on: January 12, 2021, 10:05:07 PM »

Attention wh#$%
Yoda
United States

« Reply #4084 on: January 12, 2021, 10:11:33 PM »

Not after the intelligence reports that the insurrectionists had inside help.  

- Members of Congress are allowed to be armed in the Capitol, and have access to everything, making any security search completely irrelevant

No, they are'nt
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4085 on: January 12, 2021, 10:31:03 PM »

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4086 on: January 12, 2021, 10:35:58 PM »

More Republicans are now freaking out and refusing to go through the medal detector.

If so, where.

Many Republicans in Congress have lost their minds, if they even had minds to begin with. As I've said multiple times before, it alarms me that such ignorant, selfish, and arrogant people are in our national legislature, and that they walk the halls of Congress.

Unfortunately these people are only there because there are enough crazies to get them elected in the first place.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4087 on: January 12, 2021, 10:39:41 PM »

If so, where.

Unfortunately these people are only there because there are enough crazies to get them elected in the first place.

You're absolutely correct. I've seen polls indicating that ~30% of Americans are not holding Trump accountable or responsible for what happened last week. These are the very voters which elect the buffoons with which Congress is infested.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #4088 on: January 12, 2021, 10:51:56 PM »

This feels like a step too far, even for House Republicans. Pretty much openly calling for a coup. Chances she's expelled for this?
And what happens when Trump doesn't remain in office, what's she gonna do then? Pretend there is a shadow government with Trump in charge
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4089 on: January 12, 2021, 10:53:52 PM »

And what happens when Trump doesn't remain in office, what's she gonna do then? Pretend there is a shadow government with Trump in charge
She can ask for her paychecks from Trump's treasury department.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4090 on: January 12, 2021, 10:55:38 PM »

If so, where.

For f***** sake arrest these bastards!
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4091 on: January 12, 2021, 10:56:47 PM »

Not after the intelligence reports that the insurrectionists had inside help.  

- Members of Congress are allowed to be armed in the Capitol, and have access to everything, making any security search completely irrelevant
- Security exists to protect lawmakers from external threats, not the other way around
- They may be carrying sensitive documents that cannot be revealed to a random police officer
- If a member of Congress really wanted to cause damage, they don't need a gun to do it
- Capitol buildings exist for the sole purpose of allowing members of Congress to do their business. They do not need to explain themselves to anyone, and their movements should not be questioned or hindered in any way outside emergencies.

The nation's business should not be held up by irrational and unnecessary security checks. This is as ridiculous as making POTUS go through the same security checks as tourists when returning to the White House. Or a foreign ambassador, or Cabinet Secretary, or member of Congress, for that matter.

I'll remind you of this when Lauren Boebert tries to shoot Ilhan Omar for reaching into her purse a little too quickly.

Omar should get protection, but she should know that. AOC, all of them should get protection.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4092 on: January 12, 2021, 10:57:06 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4093 on: January 12, 2021, 11:02:48 PM »

She campaign as a f****** crazy person. The fact that possibly 50.1%, and practice it wasn't much more, of her constituents Mike think it's an okay thing for her to carry her gun on the house floor to own the libs, and let's not mince words, intimidate them, does it make it remotely infinitesimally right.

Please stop your simpering whataboutism.
Splash
United States

« Reply #4094 on: January 12, 2021, 11:03:23 PM »

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4095 on: January 12, 2021, 11:03:28 PM »

Yes break the echo chamber and contest the space and it will keep dropping.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4096 on: January 12, 2021, 11:06:19 PM »

Respecting Mace already. Shame she’s against impeachment.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4097 on: January 12, 2021, 11:07:36 PM »

Christ. Boebert might actually be going to prison.

Was there indication that it was her? I assumed Gosar and Brooks.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4098 on: January 12, 2021, 11:09:14 PM »

Expelling Boebert is a manifestly undemocratic idea. It's a metaphorical pig. These arguments that are backing it up are hackish nonsense, are the metaphorical lipstick. She wants to carry a gun into the capitol because she is a pro-gun activist-turned-congresswoman, and she was elected partially on basis of that platform.
Fact is, CO-03 knew what they were getting in when they elected her.
Optics matter because besides being wrong on a moral level, it's a terrible political idea even leaving that aside.

Um , yeah, I'm just simply going to reiterate Everything Albin just said, because your nonsensical reply literally did not address a single point he made it, but instead just reiterated your own foolishness. But it's good to know that you firmly believe that if a congress member violates all rules, protocol, and even the law it self because she campaigned on doing so, then she somehow gets a pass.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4099 on: January 12, 2021, 11:11:37 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2021, 11:26:13 PM by Southern Governor Punxsutawney Phil »

Badger, I trust Santander's takes on this specific matter of guns in the Capitol over yours. Sorry to say it, but that's the plain truth.
No one man has all the answers. Not even me.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 161 162 163 [164] 165 166 167 168 169 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies