DC Unrest Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:24:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 269042 times)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: January 06, 2021, 05:25:22 PM »

As awful as this is, the silver lining might be the permanent delegitimisation of MAGA in all but the craziest of corners (admittedly still quite large corners).

Also, Cruz and Hawley are finished after this. Most of their GOP colleagues (including McConnell) already hated them for their pathetic little stunt, and I can only imagine what they feel now that they’ve put their lives in danger.

One can only dream.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 05:57:09 PM »

He has spoken:

Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 11:10:57 PM »

Dude left it with the wrong Senator's voice mail too. This dude literally does not know how to use a phone.

This is almost as dumb as the Four Seasons incident.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 12:10:32 AM »

How were Klobuchar and Davis given these roles? Just picked at random?
I believe it's Klobuchar because she is the Ranking member of the Senate Rules Committee. I don't know why Davis is there, he's not the ranking member of the House Rules Committee.

He's ranking member of House Admin.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 12:15:45 AM »

AZ objection roll call:
https://clerk.house.gov/evs/2021/roll010.xml

Looks like a certain first Korean-American congresswoman didn't vote. I guess her colleagues were just too repulsed by her homophobia.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 02:56:36 PM »

Hogan:

Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 02:26:14 AM »

🤔

I assume these are against the rioters?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 07:36:54 PM »

The fact that these people are dumb enough to brag about this on Twitter...
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 08:35:55 PM »

The CEO of a Chicago-area data analytics firm was one of those who entered the Capitol building, and got fired as a result. https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20210108/schaumburg-firm-fires-ceo-for-role-in-storming-capitol

He apologized by claiming he was "going to see what was happening inside".
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 12:48:47 AM »

Liberals would do well to reflect on this quote by Martin Luther King, there is a lot of truth to it with regard to how many Americans feel.

A riot is the language of the unheard - Martin Luther King

If there is one thing on God's green Earth that a trump supporter is not, it's unheard. You can't open a paper without reading yet another profile of one of their diners in the middle of nowhere. They are not an oppressed minority like African Americans in the civil rights era, they are a coddled, romanticized minority that uses violence and corruption to achieve their political goals and to stay in power despite almost always receiving less votes than the majority party.

Don't twist Dr. King's words to defend racists, neo-nazis and murderers. It's disgusting.

All the major institutions, corporations, academia, media, the entertainment industry are opposed to Trump supporters who are ridiculed and often lose their jobs for the views, they are an oppressed group, they are oppressed by all of the major institutions and their voices are not listened to by any major institution in America except for now the WH.

Really? Trump supporters are oppressed by "all the major institutions," even though Trump was elevated to the presidency over the wishes of a plurality of the electorate because of the electoral college and his enablers were able to control the Senate for 4 years because of its extremely disproportionate system of representation? Trump supporters are oppressed by "all the major institutions" when the media would show his empty podiums instead of Hillary's campaign speeches and praise him for his "presidential tone" every time managed to avoid devolving into complete insanity?

That's not even to mention that, as we speak, congressional Republicans are trying to stop impeachment for no other reason than to coddle the delicate feelings of indignant, reality-denying Trump supporters.

Or to make sure QAnon lunatics don’t threaten their families.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 10:39:52 AM »

https://6abc.com/politics/sen-toomey-calls-for-president-trumps-resignation/9507138/

Toomey calls for Trump's resignation
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 04:56:46 PM »

Yesh...this is worse than Charlottesville backlash, isn’t it?

Easily.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2021, 06:23:52 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks Trump can recover from this by 2024?
Or am I just a doomer?

There's a real chance he's barred from running for office. If not, he'll be in a world of legal jeopardy between this and all his tax/business dealings.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2021, 08:05:45 PM »

I wonder if Chicago will forcibly remove Trump's name from Trump tower that facing the Chicago River. Its so big and bold in the middle  of the city, and I think the city's residents will definitely want it removed or moved elsewhere(kinda like Trump tower outside of the strip in Las Vegas)

I could see that happening. Frankly, it's a miracle his name has stayed on there all these years, because he is loathed in the city. Same with the one in New York.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 08:30:46 PM »

I would have assumed the Capitol would have been one of the first places metal detectors were installed after their invention. Unbelievable they were just installed. Not so hard to believe many of our elite think they are above having to use them.

Everyone (except members) has to go through metal detectors when entering any of the buildings. And that's been in place since at least 9/11, possibly earlier.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2021, 11:07:36 PM »

Christ. Boebert might actually be going to prison.

Was there indication that it was her? I assumed Gosar and Brooks.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 02:46:40 PM »

Pelosi said any members found to have aided the insurrection could be prosecuted:
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/14/lawmakers-capitol-attackers-legal-459519
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 02:56:51 PM »

What would happen if “several” lawmakers were indicted or convicted? They stay congresspeople, sure... I guess they vote by proxy if need be? They wouldn’t be able to campaign.

They probably lose their committee assignments at least, and end up either resigning in disgrace or losing their primaries to saner challengers like Steve King did.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2021, 10:47:33 AM »

Update: it was a small fire that's been put out.

Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2021, 08:39:52 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2021, 11:38:06 PM by Roll Roons »

Somehow this makes more sense. The Capitol complex has a lot of tunnels and hidden rooms. Speaking from experience, it is VERY easy to get lost. Boebert just got sworn in and has never worked as a staffer, so she'd be far less familiar with it than veteran members. When I first heard of the recon being a possibility, my first thought was actually Gosar, Brooks, or Biggs as opposed to a rookie.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2021, 12:45:24 AM »
« Edited: February 03, 2021, 01:00:14 AM by Roll Roons »

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/02/the-capitol-rioters-arent-like-other-extremists/617895/

Interesting article about who the rioters are. Most of them have no known ties to any sort of extremist groups. A lot are professionals or small business owners, and very few were unemployed at the time, though I'm sure a lot more are now. And the majority were from urban or suburban counties. And based on that, I would assume the majority probably went to college.

AKA anything but the stereotypical racist hick Trump supporter. I honestly wonder what it is about Trump that draws people like this to him. I have never seen this degree of cultish behavior towards any other American politician.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2021, 02:38:09 PM »

If he does that, it would be the ultimate self-own.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2021, 10:17:44 PM »

I am continually amazed at how these people seem to believe there are no consequences for stuff like this.

Who is she referring to, when saying something about a 3-star general?

Probably Flynn.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2021, 06:40:05 PM »

Former State Department aide and Trump appointee, Federico Klein arrested in connection to the Capitol Riots.

The FBI on Thursday arrested Federico Klein, a former State Department aide, on charges related to the storming of the Capitol on Jan. 6, marking the first known instance of an appointee of President Donald Trump facing criminal prosecution in connection with the attempt to block Congress from certifying President Joe Biden’s victory.

Klein, 42, was taken into custody in Virginia, said Samantha Shero, a spokesperson for the FBI’s Washington Field Office.

An FBI lookout bulletin issued two weeks after the Capitol assault included a photo of Klein, prompting two tipsters to contact the FBI and finger him as the man in that picture, according to an affidavit filed in federal court in Washington.

The affidavit says video from police body-worn cameras on Jan. 6 shows Klein jamming a riot shield into doors at the Capitol as police were trying to secure them to keep the mob out. Klein was also heard on video trying to encourage others to clash with the police, the complaint says.

"We need fresh people, we need fresh people,” Klein shouted repeatedly, according to the complaint. In much of the video, he is wearing the Trump campaign's trademark "Make America Great Again" red hat.

Klein is charged with several felonies, including assault on police officers, interfering with police during civil disorder and obstruction of an official proceeding, as well as lesser offenses.

The best people.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2021, 10:26:57 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/14/us/politics/capitol-fencing-riot.html

First level of fencing around the Capitol is coming down.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies