DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 01:43:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 273123 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2225 on: January 07, 2021, 12:39:19 AM »

HP doing HP things.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2226 on: January 07, 2021, 12:41:17 AM »

I have VERY quickly gone from liking the House more than the Senate to the other way around.

Senate members have the vast majority of time always been less extreme than house members given they represent entire states rather than gerrymandered districts .

Also McConnell has had much more control over the GOP caucus in the senate than Boehner/Ryan/McCarthy have had over their caucus
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2227 on: January 07, 2021, 12:41:27 AM »

Kennedy goes Yes to No

R. Scott and Lummis go No to Yes
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2228 on: January 07, 2021, 12:42:06 AM »

Does Hawley realize that he is never going to be president. He got to know that right?

No, he really really thinks it's gonna happen even though he's unlikable, out of touch, and literally looks like a neanderthal.

Hawley is actually very intelligent with a strong Educational resume, and he has the youth and looks that are advantages. But after watching clips of him at rallies during his Senate Election- I have definitely thought he completely lacks the necessary charisma or ability to command a crowd needed to ever have a shot at getting the nomination.  (he lacks even an once of charisma (esp in front of a crowd or campaign rally).

His only remote possibility was being picked as someone's running mate... which now is likely off the table imo.  Haley's stock as a potential VP pick probably went up today (as she & Hawley may have competed for being picked as a runningmate for some potential nominees).

Youth and looks?  He literally looks like the missing link.

By rural missouri standards he's pretty handsome.
Rural people can look good too to be “average”. The dominant standards of the city ain’t all it.

It was more the combination of rural and missouri. Other places where the populace seemed to be below average in the looks department include Iowa, Houston and suburban Seattle.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2229 on: January 07, 2021, 12:42:40 AM »

Police reportedly arresting Trump supporters attempting to check back into their hotels, lmao

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2230 on: January 07, 2021, 12:42:56 AM »

I have VERY quickly gone from liking the House more than the Senate to the other way around.

Senate members have the vast majority of time always been less extreme than house members given they represent entire states rather than gerrymandered districts .

It’s not even just because of that, it’s mostly just that they’re going a lot faster LOL.

Also us winning it really helps!
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #2231 on: January 07, 2021, 12:43:21 AM »

Pretty exciting that Republicans are soon going to be irrelevant in the House and Senate.  These people don't deserve any positions of power.

In before the inevitable "Dems are gonna have a horrible 2022 midterm" comments
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2232 on: January 07, 2021, 12:43:26 AM »

Mike Lee voted "Hell no." Smiley

PA objection fails 7-92.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2233 on: January 07, 2021, 12:44:03 AM »

Wait... was one of the MAGAs smoking a blunt???
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2234 on: January 07, 2021, 12:44:14 AM »

Hawley should be charged with elder abuse for forcing McConnell, Feinstein and Grassley to sit through this at 1 am.
randomusername

« Reply #2235 on: January 07, 2021, 12:44:24 AM »

Thought I was crazy when I heard that.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #2236 on: January 07, 2021, 12:44:32 AM »

Police reportedly arresting Trump supporters attempting to check back into their hotels, lmao

"We're being held inside for no reason!!!"

It's a curfew dumba$$.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2237 on: January 07, 2021, 12:44:48 AM »

Not even a hint of irony. Trump supporters are such smooth brains.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #2238 on: January 07, 2021, 12:45:27 AM »

If this is just a bunch of random guys from across the country imagine an actual coup attempt.

That, and I'm also thinking about hostile foreign governments watching this right now. Russia and China must think (and they're probably right) that they could send half a dozen disguised special forces who could rush the Capital, take out every one of our rent-a-cop idiot security officers in minutes, and execute every single member of Congress in short order while the Pentagon dithered about whether or not to send in the f@#$%^& National Guard.
SCNCmod

« Reply #2239 on: January 07, 2021, 12:46:04 AM »

Does Hawley realize that he is never going to be president. He got to know that right?

No, he really really thinks it's gonna happen even though he's unlikable, out of touch, and literally looks like a neanderthal.

Hawley is actually very intelligent with a strong Educational resume, and he has the youth and looks that are advantages. But after watching clips of him at rallies during his Senate Election- I have definitely thought he completely lacks the necessary charisma or ability to command a crowd needed to ever have a shot at getting the nomination.  (he lacks even an once of charisma (esp in front of a crowd or campaign rally).

His only remote possibility was being picked as someone's running mate... which now is likely off the table imo.  Haley's stock as a potential VP pick probably went up today (as she & Hawley may have competed for being picked as a runningmate for some potential nominees).

Youth and looks?  He literally looks like the missing link.

I think he's currently the youngest Senator (youth), and I'm sure there are many people that find him somewhat attractive (especially for a politician- granted, a low bar).

Well Ossoff is about to get all the youthful senator simps so I guess Hawley better enjoy the last of his time in the sun.

Ossoff will definitely lessen Hawley's youngest Senator mantra- but they are different in parties, which matters in this regard (Since Hawley would still be the youngest Republican option). Granted Republican usually always pick older Nominees (Republicans don't usually nominate ages like Obama, Bill Clinton, Kennedy).
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #2240 on: January 07, 2021, 12:46:21 AM »

Kennedy goes Yes to No

R. Scott and Lummis go No to Yes

Literally why? That's such a bewildering choice.

They like to try and make it seem like there was some kind of thought process on each vote by having different ones change places.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2241 on: January 07, 2021, 12:46:24 AM »

This may not be the mood right now, but I do still feel some sympathy for the woman killed today and especially her family. QAnon is a predatory group that is targeted at people who are already not in a great place in their life or a great place mentally. I obviously don't support what she did today, but I really don't think we should be looking at her death as a "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" situation like we should Kelly Loeffler's life right now.

No sympathy for traitors.

More specifically, Traders actively engaged in an attempt at mass murder.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2242 on: January 07, 2021, 12:47:06 AM »

Chinese state propaganda is now on a "haha" moment:

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2243 on: January 07, 2021, 12:48:28 AM »

I will give the old bastard Mitch a tiny bit of credit: On what was likely one of the most disappointing days of his life from the start (learning he would be in the minority), he stood firm and delivered, actually saying what he should say and actually seeming like a “leader” of sorts. if that’s his last ever significant act as Majority Leader, at least he went out on a dignified note when it could easily have been so much worse.
Buzz

« Reply #2244 on: January 07, 2021, 12:48:57 AM »

Arrest all the dumbasses who can’t follow simple rules.  Anyone in the capital today gets 10 years just like the idiots this summer destroying monuments.
SCNCmod

« Reply #2245 on: January 07, 2021, 12:51:00 AM »

The title of the thread says 4 dead- who are the other 3?
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2246 on: January 07, 2021, 12:51:11 AM »

Welcome to the red team new comers, expect Soros to mail your Obamabucks to you soon
Just tell 'em you like Mohammad or whatever, and they'll give you your free whatever.
I heard they're givin free video games thats what I heard two of them... downloads a month
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2247 on: January 07, 2021, 12:52:25 AM »

Cop holding door open: "Oh, I'm sorry, am I not holding the door open enough for you?  Please take some parting gifts from the art wing before you leave."
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2248 on: January 07, 2021, 12:52:40 AM »

The title of the thread says 4 dead- who are the other 3?

Morbidly obese Trumpers who had medical issues from what I've heard.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2249 on: January 07, 2021, 12:52:43 AM »

Good shooting, officer. A literal would be mass murderer stopped in her tracks by a bullet.

Can we stop with this, at the very least until we know what happened? I'm really not one to just think if the police shoot someone they must've done something terrible. They may have, but I don't think we have any idea what happened.

There are (graphic) videos of the event on Twitter and other social media. I won't link to them here, but they show her near the front of a mob breaking through windows of the Speaker's Lobby to charge a group of police on the other side.

Considering the circumstances - remember that there were aides, journalists, politicians, and others sheltering all throughout the building amidst the chaos, and it wasn't clear just how intent the crowd was on harming them - the only people who should object to this are those who believe that police always have a duty to retreat.

We do know what happened. Her Twitter and Facebook page has made it very very clear that she saw today as the beginning of the so-called storm, and that this storming the capital would result in Trump taking power and executing all his political opponents. That would be presumably dozens if not hundreds of people if you look at qanon websites about people deserving death.

Let's not sugarcoat this. She was a mass murderer in the making no better than John Wayne Gacy one of the Manson family, only she was also a traitor actively attempting to literally overthrow our democratically elected government.

I feel about this exactly the same way if I learned that police in the course of their Duty shot a Serial pedophile in the act of about to molest a young child. Only in this case the pedophile was doing so with a mob of several hundred to a thousand other pedophiles, overwhelming the police, and trying to overthrow America in the process.

I shed zero tears for her death, and yes, considering what her murderous aims were, I'm smiling a little and salute that officer.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies