Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:26:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 739 740 741 742 743 [744] 745 746 747 748 749 ... 1170
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 915331 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18575 on: January 25, 2023, 11:24:49 AM »

Plus 'Ucranium' is a based name.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18576 on: January 25, 2023, 11:27:29 AM »

Buying into German and Polish equities late last year, when everyone was dooming about Europe freezing in the dark, was the best investment I've made. I'm sure our pro-Russian posters on this thread are kicking themselves.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/after-long-cold-year-investors-are-flocking-back-europe-2023-01-24/
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #18577 on: January 25, 2023, 11:36:30 AM »

SPIEGEL reports that a company (which would amount to 14 tanks) of Leopard 2A6 will be send to Ukraine by Germany, and that export requests from other countries will also be approved.

I suppose Scholz' arms are so twisted now that they have practically been pulled out of their sockets by the Greens, the FDP, the media, Poland, the Baltic states, and the U.S.

I never understood his caution here. Haven't we still not learned that appeasement politics doesn't work with Putin? He only understands strength and determination. It was definitely no unsolvable logistical problem.

Most importantly, this looks like a political defeat for Scholz now, when he could have been a leader instead.

How's public opinion on the question? I suppose there's a major divide between East (former East Germany) and West?

Infratest-dimap, Jan. 19:

46% in favour of sending Leopards, 43% against it.

You're correct about the regional split.

West: 50/38
East: 32/59
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #18578 on: January 25, 2023, 12:25:13 PM »

Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18579 on: January 25, 2023, 12:28:49 PM »

Was “freedom fries” a “cultural revolution?”

For me, yes.  When I heard of it I thought it was one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.  If a political movement is reduced to renaming things and tearing down monuments/statues usually it is a sign that it's tapped out and is running out of meaningful progress that it can make.

And how is that analogous to a political movement that killed millions?

While I agree that this is stupid (just like Freedom Fries was), comparing the Cultural Revolution to renaming a synthetic element which was only discovered in 2003 and which only exists for less than a second when synthesized dangerously and disingenuously trivializes the former.

And comparing it to "Freedom Fries" when the most France did to the U.S. was hurt George W. Bush's fee-fees is trivializing the war in Ukraine (to be clear, this is ridiculing the criticism of this change).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #18580 on: January 25, 2023, 12:33:52 PM »

"It will take time" without any specifics on how much time is not a great sign.
Isaak
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #18581 on: January 25, 2023, 12:36:49 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2023, 04:32:14 PM by Isaak »

SPIEGEL reports that a company (which would amount to 14 tanks) of Leopard 2A6 will be send to Ukraine by Germany, and that export requests from other countries will also be approved.

I suppose Scholz' arms are so twisted now that they have practically been pulled out of their sockets by the Greens, the FDP, the media, Poland, the Baltic states, and the U.S.

I never understood his caution here. Haven't we still not learned that appeasement politics doesn't work with Putin? He only understands strength and determination. It was definitely no unsolvable logistical problem.

Most importantly, this looks like a political defeat for Scholz now, when he could have been a leader instead.

I disagree.

It is well known that leading figures within the SPD's parliamentary group are quite uncomfortable with the whole idea of delivering tanks to Ukraine. Just think about Rolf Mützenich (who attacked Scholz's critics today for their "premature judgment") and other influential 'anti-militarists' who have the power to cause a lot of intra-party trouble. Scholz cannot afford to ignore them just to please the Americans and his coalition partners. (Not even to speak about public opinion being divided on this matter.)

To be honest, it's amusing that people still think that Olaf Scholz doesn't get it. He absolutely does.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #18582 on: January 25, 2023, 01:02:19 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2023, 01:20:47 PM by Virginiá »

John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #18583 on: January 25, 2023, 01:14:23 PM »

I think the reference to the Chinese Cultural revolution flew over his head.

Huh Where did I give any indication that I didn't get the reference?

And comparing it to "Freedom Fries" when the most France did to the U.S. was hurt George W. Bush's fee-fees is trivializing the war in Ukraine (to be clear, this is ridiculing the criticism of this change).

... The point is that whining about renaming stuff is itself trivial. Did you actually think I was comparing Russia's behavior today to France's behavior during the Iraq War?

Both of you guys need to work on your reading comprehension.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18584 on: January 25, 2023, 01:26:47 PM »

This "rename Moscovium" thing is...muy estupido. Hilariously sad to see the narcissism of small differences here, though it's not surprising human pyschology.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18585 on: January 25, 2023, 01:26:49 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2023, 01:41:24 PM by Storr »

Edit: Included a more recently updated list of Western tanks to be supplied to Ukraine.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #18586 on: January 25, 2023, 01:33:40 PM »

Calling Boris Pistorius, Olaf Scholz, and Annalena Baerbock Nazis is so ridiculous, I can't help but find humor in it.

This guy is team Zelensky's wet dream.
More from Solovyov:

And this quote from some other dude on Russia 1 because......what?

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18587 on: January 25, 2023, 01:37:26 PM »

Calling Boris Pistorius, Olaf Scholz, and Annalena Baerbock Nazis is so ridiculous, I can't help but find humor in it.

This guy is team Zelensky's wet dream.
More from Solovyov:

And this quote from some other dude on Russia 1 because......what?

If Hitler was alive today, he might be bewildered at the extent to which the name of his movement still has enough paucity to be used as an insult in Russia more than eighty years after Barbarossa was launched.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18588 on: January 25, 2023, 01:39:15 PM »

I think the reference to the Chinese Cultural revolution flew over his head.

Huh Where did I give any indication that I didn't get the reference?

... The point is that whining about renaming stuff is itself trivial. Did you actually think I was comparing Russia's behavior today to France's behavior during the Iraq War?

Both of you guys need to work on your reading comprehension.

I was ridiculing him, not you.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #18589 on: January 25, 2023, 01:50:55 PM »

[tweet snip]

Edit: Included a more recently updated list of Western tanks to be supplied to Ukraine.

Chad Netherlands:

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #18590 on: January 25, 2023, 02:45:30 PM »

I gotta say, he's actually good in spelling their names!
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #18591 on: January 25, 2023, 03:15:41 PM »

Can only imagine the Russian response to German tank news is a variation on the following:
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/870/771/f1e.png
You could say in a way that Russia is demilitarizing NATO of it's stocks, along with Ukraine.

You could (and you would, since it’s been a pro-Russia talking point online for months). We’ll see who has an easier time replenishing their stocks.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18592 on: January 25, 2023, 03:25:02 PM »

Is "reviving the GDR," a way of saying that Russia will invade the former East Germany and take it back? What are its plans for West Berlin?
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

« Reply #18593 on: January 25, 2023, 03:43:49 PM »

Is "reviving the GDR," a way of saying that Russia will invade the former East Germany and take it back? What are its plans for West Berlin?

I suppose they could recreate the old GDR in the former German territory of Königsberg and East Prussia.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18594 on: January 25, 2023, 04:30:17 PM »

I suppose they could recreate the old GDR in the former German territory of Königsberg and East Prussia.

Poor Poland, erased from the map yet again.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #18595 on: January 25, 2023, 05:09:11 PM »

RU has been escalating it's mini-offensives during these last few days in different parts of the front, most likely prepping up for spring. In under 24 hours they launched another "surprise" attack. This time towards Vuhledar, reaching it's outskirts for the first time.

Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18596 on: January 25, 2023, 05:18:08 PM »

Air attacks/Shahed UAV wave happening right now:

Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #18597 on: January 25, 2023, 05:28:26 PM »

RU has been escalating it's mini-offensives during these last few days in different parts of the front, most likely prepping up for spring. In under 24 hours they launched another "surprise" attack. This time towards Vuhledar, reaching it's outskirts for the first time.

So what is it going to be? Zaporozhye, Kharkiv, or Lviv/Kyiv through Belarus? You yourself have posted suggestions that Russia is planning some grand war-winning offensive on all of these routes this month. All during which Russia is STILL trying to advance towards Bakhmut, something you have been continuously posting about since May. Surely you must see that credulously posting literally anything that makes it look like Russia is about to achieve some success, virtually none of which appear to be accurate, erodes your credibility and discredits your judgment.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18598 on: January 25, 2023, 05:56:27 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2023, 06:23:49 PM by SirWoodbury »

So what is it going to be? Zaporozhye, Kharkiv, or Lviv/Kyiv through Belarus?
IDK. Doesn't matter. Not a matter of if, but when.  

After Putin signed the mobilization order, it was over for Ukraine. It's only gonna get uglier from here on out on the battlefield map.
Ashley Biden's Diary
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18599 on: January 25, 2023, 07:09:38 PM »

So what is it going to be? Zaporozhye, Kharkiv, or Lviv/Kyiv through Belarus?
IDK. Doesn't matter. Not a matter of if, but when.  

After Putin signed the mobilization order, it was over for Ukraine.
It's only gonna get uglier from here on out on the battlefield map.

If you ignore the piss poor quality of Russian soldiers, I guess.
Pages: 1 ... 739 740 741 742 743 [744] 745 746 747 748 749 ... 1170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies