Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 03:40:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 738 739 740 741 742 [743] 744 745 746 747 748 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 931283 times)
Cashew
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18550 on: January 25, 2023, 12:21:57 AM »

Personally, I'd rather the US just provide 1:1 Abrams replacements for any country that sends their own Leopard 2A4 or better tanks to Ukraine. It's easier for Ukraine if they have a single modern tank to deal with, and the Leo is a reasonable choice. But for whatever reason that hasn't been happening (yet).

One curious take I have heard is that the German government is worried about that exact possibility. Abrams replacing Leopards could create a lasting foothold for the American MIC if they decide to stick to only Abrams in the future to simply things. I am not sure how true or relevant that reasoning may be, but if so the backlash may have turned that into a self fulfilling prophecy.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18551 on: January 25, 2023, 01:41:59 AM »

If both Leopard and Abrams tanks show up I think it will be an organizational nightmare for Ukraine. 

Translation:  Cry Cry Cry
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18552 on: January 25, 2023, 01:44:21 AM »

German tanks roll into Eastern Europe in the 20th century: Libs freak out

German tanks roll into Eastern Europe in the 21st century: Libs celebrate

Watch the liberal media try to convince us these situations are different

If you honestly, truly, cannot spot the Grand Canyon sized Chasm between these two scenarios, you should delete your account immediately.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #18553 on: January 25, 2023, 02:57:50 AM »

If you honestly, truly, cannot spot the Grand Canyon sized Chasm between these two scenarios, you should delete your account immediately.

sar Chasm, badge her
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #18554 on: January 25, 2023, 04:45:32 AM »

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #18555 on: January 25, 2023, 06:05:55 AM »

Can only imagine the Russian response to German tank news is a variation on the following:
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #18556 on: January 25, 2023, 06:38:12 AM »

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/a34dbe9e76e0f9a551b92119e47bef4d0f4ace1c

Former Japan LDP PM Yoshirō Mori in a speech attacking current Japanese policy toward Ukraine: "Is it really worth investing so much effort in Ukraine? It is almost unthinkable that Russia will lose"

To be fair Mori was always on the Russofile side of Japanese politics.  That he says this openly does show that Japan's elite consensus on Russia-Ukraine does show signs of breaking down
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #18557 on: January 25, 2023, 06:51:43 AM »

the Russofile side of Japanese politics. 

honestly surprised that's a thing
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18558 on: January 25, 2023, 07:21:47 AM »

the Russofile side of Japanese politics. 

honestly surprised that's a thing

There are some Japanese politicians which are about "getting back the Northern Islands from Russia."  Some of them are for the stick (very anti-Russia) and some of them are for the carrot (pro-Russia.)  There is another small group of Japanese politicians whose position is "let's give up the Northern Islands and focus on getting Russia to join an anti-PRC bloc in APAC".  It's not like Mori is one of them but more like where Mori does even care about Northern Islands he would be on the carrot side.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #18559 on: January 25, 2023, 08:46:43 AM »

sar Chasm, badge her

Yes, given who the poster was I did rather presume that Smiley
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18560 on: January 25, 2023, 08:56:00 AM »

Germany approves long-awaited delivery of Leopard 2 tanks to Ukraine as US finalizes plans to send Abrams

Germany confirmed it will send a long-demanded contingent of Leopard 2 tanks to Ukraine in a major sign of support for Kyiv that is expected to be matched by the United States.

The announcement by Chancellor Olaf Scholz on Wednesday, coupled with an anticipated decision by the US to send about 30 M-1 Abrams tanks to Ukraine, marks a landmark moment that followed weeks of intense pressure on Berlin from some of its NATO allies.

Scholz told his Cabinet of his decision that Germany will further strengthen its military support for Ukraine, German government spokesperson Steffen Hebestreit said. “The Federal Government has decided to make Leopard 2 battle tanks available to the Ukrainian armed forces,” he said.

“This is the result of intensive consultations that took place with Germany’s closest European and international partners. This decision follows our well-known line of supporting Ukraine to the Ukraine to the best of our ability.”

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/25/europe/german-tanks-ukraine-intl/index.html
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18561 on: January 25, 2023, 09:03:12 AM »

Can only imagine the Russian response to German tank news is a variation on the following:
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/870/771/f1e.png
You could say in a way that Russia is demilitarizing NATO of it's stocks, along with Ukraine.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18562 on: January 25, 2023, 09:08:53 AM »

Didn't want to post this until confirmation was made. Few days ago RU made claims they took over the northern part of Kamianske in Zaporizhzhia. This town is where the Russians and Ukrainians made their infamous prisoner exchanges/talks, it's been divided since the early days of the war. Rest of the "offensive" in Zaporizhzhia has more or less stayed the same.

Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18563 on: January 25, 2023, 09:33:01 AM »
« Edited: January 25, 2023, 09:39:59 AM by SirWoodbury »

TL;DR - Mostly convicts (Not much care for their deaths in Russian society), high morale, more equipment (Even equipped with American motorolas/radio), assault battalions, brutality, etc.

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18564 on: January 25, 2023, 09:58:15 AM »

SPIEGEL reports that a company (which would amount to 14 tanks) of Leopard 2A6 will be send to Ukraine by Germany, and that export requests from other countries will also be approved.

I suppose Scholz' arms are so twisted now that they have practically been pulled out of their sockets by the Greens, the FDP, the media, Poland, the Baltic states, and the U.S.

I never understood his caution here. Haven't we still not learned that appeasement politics doesn't work with Putin? He only understands strength and determination. It was definitely no unsolvable logistical problem.

Most importantly, this looks like a political defeat for Scholz now, when he could have been a leader instead.

How's public opinion on the question? I suppose there's a major divide between East (former East Germany) and West?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18565 on: January 25, 2023, 10:13:54 AM »

In true Cultural Revolution fashion, it seems some Ukraine schools have renamed Moscovium to Ucranium

John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18566 on: January 25, 2023, 10:19:10 AM »

In true Cultural Revolution fashion, it seems some Ukraine schools have renamed Moscovium to Ucranium

Was “freedom fries” a “cultural revolution?”
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18567 on: January 25, 2023, 10:27:55 AM »

For me, yes.  When I heard of it I thought it was one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.  If a political movement is reduced to renaming things and tearing down monuments/statues usually it is a sign that it's tapped out and is running out of meaningful progress that it can make.
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #18568 on: January 25, 2023, 10:31:19 AM »

For me, yes.  When I heard of it I thought it was one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.  If a political movement is reduced to renaming things and tearing down monuments/statues usually it is a sign that it's tapped out and is running out of meaningful progress that it can make.

I think the reference to the Chinese Cultural revolution flew over his head.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18569 on: January 25, 2023, 10:42:54 AM »

And how is that analogous to a political movement that killed millions?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18570 on: January 25, 2023, 10:51:42 AM »

And how is that analogous to a political movement that killed millions?

While I agree that this is stupid (just like Freedom Fries was), comparing the Cultural Revolution to renaming a synthetic element which was only discovered in 2003 and which only exists for less than a second when synthesized dangerously and disingenuously trivializes the former.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18571 on: January 25, 2023, 11:02:13 AM »

Yeah Ukraine renaming Moscovium to Ucranium is a clear sign it’s losing and nothing to do with the fact that Russia has committed atrocities on Ukraine’s civilian population and thus they don’t feel any kinship towards them anymore 🙄
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18572 on: January 25, 2023, 11:16:40 AM »

Personally, I'd rather the US just provide 1:1 Abrams replacements for any country that sends their own Leopard 2A4 or better tanks to Ukraine. It's easier for Ukraine if they have a single modern tank to deal with, and the Leo is a reasonable choice. But for whatever reason that hasn't been happening (yet).

One curious take I have heard is that the German government is worried about that exact possibility. Abrams replacing Leopards could create a lasting foothold for the American MIC if they decide to stick to only Abrams in the future to simply things. I am not sure how true or relevant that reasoning may be, but if so the backlash may have turned that into a self fulfilling prophecy.

Yeah, that's definitely a possibility, but at the same time, the German government has kind of set the stage for that with their dumbfounding political decisions lately, and also that German industry doesn't seem up to task of rearming Europe in any reasonable amount of time anyway (this is one reason Poland went to South Korea instead, aside from tech transfers).
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #18573 on: January 25, 2023, 11:17:30 AM »

Russia literally renamed every brand that exited the market.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18574 on: January 25, 2023, 11:23:59 AM »

Not Cultural Revolution-like at all:

Pages: 1 ... 738 739 740 741 742 [743] 744 745 746 747 748 ... 1172  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies