Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:52:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 446 447 448 449 450 [451] 452 453 454 455 456 ... 1170
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 915000 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11250 on: May 10, 2022, 07:01:57 PM »

Meanwhile alleged transcript from some of the Russian patrol boats outside of Snake Island from last week

Looks like the Russian Navy is lucky to have only lost (2) instead of (4) if this is correct considering the TB-2 stalking them...

I bet the remote controller of that drone got some serious high fives and free shots after work from his colleagues...

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11251 on: May 10, 2022, 07:20:59 PM »

More info from unusual (?) ship movements in and out of Sevastopol today from oldest to newest...

Still don't believe we have confirmation on the identity of the ship(s)...

Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11252 on: May 10, 2022, 09:31:01 PM »

What would happen if Ukraine started to raid the Russian border?

I don’t see what they would gain by sending troops into Russian territory while so much of their country is still Russian-occupied, but they should definitely use artillery and drones to (continue to?) strike at strategic targets within Russian territory.
Occupying a Russian town or two for a morale/propaganda boost.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11253 on: May 10, 2022, 11:01:20 PM »

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11254 on: May 11, 2022, 12:27:27 AM »

Unwise because the Ukrainians would be giving up all sorts of advantages (shorter supply lines, friendly populace, familiar territory) and putting forces they can't afford to lose in significant danger if they counterattack all the way into Russia. I tend to doubt that propaganda or PR reasons are too important to the decision not to vs simple practical ones that it'd be a really bad idea.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #11255 on: May 11, 2022, 07:11:33 AM »

Tass: Russian-Occupied Ukraine Region to Ask to Join Russia

While the argument for this is stronger given most of these territories are Russian-speaking and there is an ethnic-based argument for these territories joining Russia this story reminds me a lot of 1944-1945 stories of various territories (mostly Bessarabia, Baltic states, and Western Ukraine) "voting" to join the USSR after the Red Army entered those territories.  Most of them already "voted" to join USSR in 1939 and 1941 respectively but they "voted" again in 1944-1945 just to make sure.

Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #11256 on: May 11, 2022, 07:13:53 AM »

Ukraine war: Russian-occupied Kherson will ask Putin to annex the region

https://www.euronews.com/2022/05/11/live-ukrainians-make-gains-in-east-hold-on-at-mariupol-mill

No plans for supposed "Kherson's people's republic" nor any referendum.. they will ask directly to be annexed to the Russian Federation.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #11257 on: May 11, 2022, 07:35:28 AM »

Tass: Russian-Occupied Ukraine Region to Ask to Join Russia

While the argument for this is stronger given most of these territories are Russian-speaking and there is an ethnic-based argument for these territories joining Russia this story reminds me a lot of 1944-1945 stories of various territories (mostly Bessarabia, Baltic states, and Western Ukraine) "voting" to join the USSR after the Red Army entered those territories.  Most of them already "voted" to join USSR in 1939 and 1941 respectively but they "voted" again in 1944-1945 just to make sure.

It really isn’t.

Lots of Ukrainians, and most Ukrainians of minority communities, use Russian as a first language because Russian was enforced in media and education up until the fall of the USSR, that doesn’t make them Russians.
As of 2001 (can’t get a more recent census), ethnic Ukrainians made up an absolute majority of the Donbass, with Russians as the largest but not only minority. The Luhansk and Donetsk guys are fringe nutjobs that took over on the backs of out of uniform Russian troops with the explicit goal of joining a, their words, revived Russian Empire.

The alleged nationality question in Ukraine, like virtually everywhere else, is just a smoke screen the Russians use to justify intervention in a post-Soviet Republic. There just aren’t masses of oppressed Russians yearning for the motherland’s bosom in Ukraine or really anywhere.

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11258 on: May 11, 2022, 07:56:19 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/11/energy/ukraine-russia-gas-suspension/index.html

"Ukraine halts some Russian gas flows to Europe"

It seems Ukraine took my advice and did their own do-it-yourself sanctions on gas exports.  Of course, this means Ukraine loses transit fees, Russia loses money and Europe will enter into an energy squeeze.

Alternatively, Russia might just route all their gas via Sudzha which would in theory make this a non-event.  I am not sure if this is operationally feasible.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11259 on: May 11, 2022, 08:06:21 AM »

https://greekcitytimes.com/2022/05/10/eu-proposal-russian-oil-greek/

"Proposal to ban EU-tankers transporting Russian oil halted by Greek shipowners"

Another front in the virtual signal vs money battle in Europe.  Will be fun to see how this plays out.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11260 on: May 11, 2022, 08:20:31 AM »

Notable for a few reason

--Very impressive view of world class turret toss
--Was captured by Chinese media imbedded with Russians east of Maripol. 
--Actually ran on Chinese media

So, Chinese media showed a Russian tank being blown up in broad daylight supposedly well behind the front lines.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11261 on: May 11, 2022, 08:21:38 AM »

Notable for a few reason

--Very impressive view of world class turret toss
--Was captured by Chinese media imbedded with Russians east of Maripol. 
--Actually ran on Chinese media

So, Chinese media showed a Russian tank being blown up in broad daylight supposedly well behind the front lines.
I'm glad to see the Russian space program is doing well.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11262 on: May 11, 2022, 09:27:49 AM »

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11263 on: May 11, 2022, 10:13:32 AM »
« Edited: May 11, 2022, 11:22:26 AM by DINGO Joe »

Russians erected a pontoon bridge over the Siverskyi Donets. Seems like they are trying for the encirclement of Lysychansk/Sieverodonetsk from the North and now the South since they have Popasna.

Sorry Comrade, no luck today, but try try again.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11264 on: May 11, 2022, 10:38:59 AM »

I don’t see what they would gain by sending troops into Russian territory while so much of their country is still Russian-occupied, but they should definitely use artillery and drones to (continue to?) strike at strategic targets within Russian territory.
Occupying a Russian town or two for a morale/propaganda boost.

There's no reason for the Ukrainians to do anything symbolic.  However, if there is a target on the Russian side that cuts off the supply chain they should hit it.  Russia is very dependent on their artillery and the shells are big and heavy and thus they're very reliant on rail to move it forward.  They should do anything to cut their rail supply lines.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11265 on: May 11, 2022, 01:06:42 PM »

Regarding this business of Hungary going to the dark side and enabling Russia:

1. Why can't the other 39 members of the EU in concert just unilaterally boycott Russian oil?

2. What is the mechanism for kicking an EU member out?
Omega21

« Reply #11266 on: May 11, 2022, 01:30:52 PM »

1. Why can't the other 39 members of the EU in concert just unilaterally boycott Russian oil?

1. 39 members of the EU?

2. There is none, only an ability to strip a member of voting rights (requires unanimous vote)

3. Hungary is not the only one blocking. Slovakia is blocking it as well, but making Orban the sole evil villain obviously fits nicely into the mainstream narrative.

Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic and Bulgaria still resisting EU ban on Russian oil

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2022/05/09/hungary-slovakia-czech-republic-and-bulgaria-still-resisting-eu-ban-on-russian-oil
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11267 on: May 11, 2022, 01:52:24 PM »

Zelensky is not looking to give Putin an off ramp here
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11268 on: May 11, 2022, 01:55:08 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2022, 01:58:38 PM by Torie »

1. 39 members of the EU?

2. There is none, only an ability to strip a member of voting rights (requires unanimous vote)

3. Hungary is not the only one blocking. Slovakia is blocking it as well, but making Orban the sole evil villain obviously fits nicely into the mainstream narrative.

Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic and Bulgaria still resisting EU ban on Russian oil

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2022/05/09/hungary-slovakia-czech-republic-and-bulgaria-still-resisting-eu-ban-on-russian-oil

1. OK, 27, whatever. Anyway, should be 26, with the 27th member Ukraine.

2. You mean a unanimous vote of other than the country that it is proposed be stripped of voting rights?

3. Orban is going to hell to share a cell with Putin with but one twin bed, so they will either have to sleep together or take turns. My dog will be continuously barking at them via a zoom ink, so sleep will not be an option anyway.
Omega21

« Reply #11269 on: May 11, 2022, 02:05:33 PM »

1. 39 members of the EU?

2. You mean a unanimous vote of other than the country that it is proposed be stripped of voting rights?

3. Orban is going to hell to share a cell with Putin with but one twin bed, so they will either have to sleep together or take turns. My dog will be continuously barking at them via a zoom ink, so sleep will not be an option anyway.

Exactly, but it should be fairly hard since Poland and Hungary usually have each other's backs when the EU is after them.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11270 on: May 11, 2022, 02:06:52 PM »

1. 39 members of the EU?

Exactly, but it should be fairly hard since Poland and Hungary usually have each other's backs when the EU is after them.

Thanks. I would doubt Poland has Hungary's back on this issue.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #11271 on: May 11, 2022, 02:08:24 PM »

Zelensky is not looking to give Putin an off ramp here

So this includes Crimea? Based.

I certainly hope so there's a way Ukraine gets it back and Donbas as well. There should be no compromises any longer with a thug like Putin and the West should use all tools available below a direct military confrontation with NATO to destroy his regime.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11272 on: May 11, 2022, 03:57:47 PM »

1. 39 members of the EU?

They don't, but its more of a scratch my back situation.  Funnily Ukraine joining the EU would solve all of Poland's problems. Now you can finally get another socially conservative state in the EU that would be anti Russian so Poland doesn't have to work with Hungary anymore.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11273 on: May 11, 2022, 04:12:51 PM »

1. 39 members of the EU?

They don't, but its more of a scratch my back situation.  Funnily Ukraine joining the EU would solve all of Poland's problems. Now you can finally get another socially conservative state in the EU that would be anti Russian so Poland doesn't have to work with Hungary anymore.

Wheels within wheels. Thanks.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11274 on: May 11, 2022, 04:24:43 PM »

It looks like Western sanctions might be starting to have an impact some Russian military production.

Russia is having a harder time manufacturing military equipment and other goods because of U.S.-led sanctions blocking the country from importing computer chips, Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo told a Senate hearing Wednesday.

Two Russian tank manufacturers have had to idle production, according to Raimondo, whose department oversees the export controls enacted by the United States and its allies after Russia’s invasion began.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/05/11/russia-ukraine-war-news-putin-live-updates/#link-OISXR7UYUFFIZBB4STXELYDU44
Pages: 1 ... 446 447 448 449 450 [451] 452 453 454 455 456 ... 1170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies