Pennsylvania 2010 - The Official Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 12:38:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pennsylvania 2010 - The Official Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 45
Author Topic: Pennsylvania 2010 - The Official Thread  (Read 115999 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: May 04, 2009, 05:01:59 PM »

I feel like GrassRootsPA is sometimes an almost-mockingly attempt to be more ridiculously screwed up than Drudge.  I mean, when the Q poll came out showing Toomey way behind, they image-headlined for hours instead a Rasmussen poll showing Specter with only 49% approval rating nationwide.

Everyone goes there for news but it's a conservative site. Of course they're going to highlight the "good" news.

By the way, don't trash Grassroots. Lilik is a great, great man. I remember following the site when it was simply for silly Toomey supporters. Now it's an institution.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #651 on: May 04, 2009, 06:38:31 PM »

My reservations about a Sestak candidacy are two-fold: First, I think Specter's mostly just trying to prove to the vast moderate majority of PA voters that he'll still be independent and a party switch doesn't mean he's bought and paid for to do Obama's and Reid's bidding. EFCA, for example, will be modified somewhat (it won't pass as is even if Specter supports it tomorrow) and passed with Specter's support. I suspect by the end of the year his voting record will be only slightly to the right of Casey's, and that's at least acceptable to both me and most PA Dems (or at least not worth a divisive primary).

Secondly, someone had posted an article here previously detailing Sestak's absolutely atrocious relationship with staffers stemming from his running his office like boot camp 52 weeks a year. Even accounting for his military command background (hardly the only one in Congress) and the pros to a hardcore "my way or the highway" management style, if even half the article was true then Sestak is still in a class all his own. Gave me serious pause about the guy's management skills, though he's apparently impressed his constituents sufficiently based on his re-election numbers. Still, it was NOT a good impression.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #652 on: May 04, 2009, 07:27:01 PM »

I'd be sheer comedy if Specter were to lose this race. These numbers are no surprise right now. The key for me will be how the numbers look after the unions learn that Specter is going to vote against card-check. Although, he may see that it would hurt him and decide to flip on that issue too.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #653 on: May 04, 2009, 08:19:02 PM »

Secondly, someone had posted an article here previously detailing Sestak's absolutely atrocious relationship with staffers stemming from his running his office like boot camp 52 weeks a year. Even accounting for his military command background (hardly the only one in Congress) and the pros to a hardcore "my way or the highway" management style, if even half the article was true then Sestak is still in a class all his own.

Competent congressmen are relatively rare. Sestak's management style should be encouraged on the Hill, imo- if those people have to work like the rest of us, maybe they'll start getting things done.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #654 on: May 04, 2009, 08:21:06 PM »

I find it hilarious that some people are using Sestak's supposed strict management style as an excuse for their skepticism when Arlen Specter is notoriously one of the biggest pricks in Washington, DC when it comes to dealing with his staff. They had pins made up that said "Arlen Specter yelled at me."
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #655 on: May 04, 2009, 10:33:11 PM »

Tom DiLorenzo has a good idea for Pennsylvania Republicans:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #656 on: May 04, 2009, 10:34:05 PM »

It's pretty bad when people are stealing the ideas of Rush Limbaugh.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #657 on: May 04, 2009, 10:35:42 PM »

I know a few people that will be doing that and my DINO Grandfather will be remaining a Dem to vote against him as well.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #658 on: May 04, 2009, 11:14:42 PM »

I know a few people that will be doing that and my DINO Grandfather will be remaining a Dem to vote against him as well.

Love how you called your own relative that, but then again my deceased grandfather was too at least on social issues.  Then again in the 50s, 60s and 70s it was more the JFK and labor union thing anyway.  He NEVER voted GOP, yet went to Mass after work on a daily basis and confession every 2 weeks.  I don't know how he'd vote now if he were still alive.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #659 on: May 05, 2009, 11:30:38 AM »

Ridge will make up his mind by the end of May - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/04/AR2009050403358.html?hpid=moreheadlines

Love how you called your own relative that

Uh...you make it sound like I insulted my Grandfather. Why do you "love" (sarcastic) it? He's basically a Democrat in name only. He'd admit it, too.

Note - A Republican calling someone a DINO isn't an insult.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #660 on: May 05, 2009, 11:35:17 AM »

this is cross-posted

“Do you know Arlen Specter will be 80, has had four bouts with cancer and he still wants to run for the U.S. Senate?” Bunning continued. “And I’m being criticized at 77 and healthy for wanting to run for the U.S. Senate by certain leadership people in my party. Give me a break.”

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #661 on: May 05, 2009, 12:04:47 PM »

Kos is getting angry, rawr [this actually is meaningful, which is why I read this blog]

http://dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/5/5/727802/-PA-Sen:-Sestak-fires-warning-shot

We've got a poll currently in the field that will give us a good look at the current state of both the Democratic and Republican primaries. Of particular note will be the Ridge v Toomey primary numbers, since no one has polled those yet. Results are due Thursday.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #662 on: May 05, 2009, 12:06:21 PM »

I am stating this for the record: Kos will become a FF if he does to Arlen Specter what he did to Joe Lieberman.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #663 on: May 05, 2009, 12:29:12 PM »

Gotcha, I'll delete my post then! It's difficult to follow all the PA comments here Tongue
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #664 on: May 05, 2009, 12:34:01 PM »

Even if it means voting for someone more liberal/progressive than Specter? Though I guess Sestak, with his military experience and stuff, wouldn't be that much of a stretch for Republicans to vote for.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #665 on: May 05, 2009, 12:42:41 PM »

Even if it means voting for someone more liberal/progressive than Specter? Though I guess Sestak, with his military experience and stuff, wouldn't be that much of a stretch for Republicans to vote for.

Well, it also gives us a better chance at the seat.

You need to realize that to many of us (whether this is "right" or not is not the point) don't see much of a difference between the two in terms of ideology. Plus, Sestak is at least genuine.

We want Specter to finally pay for his spineless behavior. He thought he was sticking it to us? Oh, Arlen. I just want to see that face...

"I just got off the phone with Congressman Sestak and...no...please...please...I just got off the phone with Joe and congratulated him on his victory..."

And then he'll leap into bashing everyone that didn't stick by him, how he's entitled to the seat, etc. It would be so great to see.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #666 on: May 05, 2009, 12:48:42 PM »

IIIIRRRROOONNNNNYYYY

NRSC Chairman John Cornyn of Texas hesitated when given the opportunity to endorse Toomey on Friday.

"I don't think it's wise for me to tell Pennsylvania Republicans who their nominee should be, so I'm not going to do that," said Cornyn.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #667 on: May 05, 2009, 12:49:36 PM »

Toomey raises $500k in 20 days.

http://blogs.cqpolitics.com/eyeon2010/2009/05/toomey-raises-halfmillion-for.html
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #668 on: May 05, 2009, 12:55:28 PM »

Not surprising. This race will probably shape up to be the most expensive of 2010.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #669 on: May 05, 2009, 01:00:59 PM »

LUNAR BETS THAT THE FOLLOWING RACES WILL COST MORE:

CA-Gov
OH-Sen
FL-Sen

[edit: I guess this one might win all but CA-Gov depending on whether you count specter's primary expenditures]
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #670 on: May 05, 2009, 01:01:31 PM »

I sat down with some people from the campaign yesterday and they told me they had a little over $400,000. I guess they weren't lying when they said they're getting in so much that they can't process it all within a day.

That reminds me...

I'm going to be very involved in the race on the local level so my participation here won't be as heavy. I'll still discuss the dynamics and day to day news but I obviously won't be chatting as much about strategy. Wouldn't want The Enemy finding the gameplan so easily.  Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #671 on: May 05, 2009, 01:18:37 PM »

MSNBC's Joe Watkins is saying some friends and conservatives in PA asked him to run but he's not "actively considering it" now - http://www.pa2010.com/2009/05/joe-watkins-for-senate/

As for Ridge, he has supported the Fairness Doctrine - http://townhall.com/blog/g/582fe5f4-5f9c-44da-8699-f77e6f732b86

...and he's living in Maryland - http://www.fara.gov/docs/RS5868-Registration-Statement-20080612-2.pdf
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #672 on: May 05, 2009, 02:19:36 PM »

By the way, now that people like Dean and Carville are telling Specter to "shape up" or he'll get a primary challenge, is it safe to say that the Democratic party hates "moderates?"

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #673 on: May 05, 2009, 02:23:52 PM »

By the way, now that people like Dean and Carville are telling Specter to "shape up" or he'll get a primary challenge, is it safe to say that the Democratic party hates "moderates?"

Are we supposed to address that seriously?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #674 on: May 05, 2009, 02:28:29 PM »

[note: I am neutral in a potential Specter-Sestak primary]

Joe Sestak would make a fine Senator.

[note: I am neutral in a potential Specter-Sestak primary]
[note: I am totally biased in a potential Specter-Sestak primary]

Hell yes he would!

[note: I am totally biased in a potential Specter-Sestak primary]