Pennsylvania 2010 - The Official Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 09:03:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pennsylvania 2010 - The Official Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 45
Author Topic: Pennsylvania 2010 - The Official Thread  (Read 116367 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: May 05, 2009, 08:46:27 PM »

Well, in Don's defense, the constant, posted everywhere, "Specter is wild & crazy!! Look at him lose it for five dolla!" comments are a little silly. All of us are probably blowing these things out of proportion in terms of the impact it'll have on anything by the time the wheels of the actual elections start turning.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #726 on: May 05, 2009, 08:48:27 PM »

It matters when it comes to whether or not Specter gets a challenge. The base is getting pissed off and we're only a week into this!
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #727 on: May 05, 2009, 08:49:09 PM »

I'm a hack because I'm talking about the dynamics of the race? Wow!

No, you're a hack for other reasons.  And, responding to the italics, I am a forum hack too - hence why I am replying in this thread.  That being said, the average voter won't care about Specter's opinions on the Minnesota Senate Race or other ridiculous things that you and I talk about.

I think the voters can appreciate Specter's dillema.  He's trying to serve the people of Pennsylvania, but all Washington DC cares about is the juvenile antics of politics.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #728 on: May 05, 2009, 08:51:04 PM »

Average Voter:  "So what?  Is anyone going to talk about my job or how I can get health care for my family"

Specter: I oppose Obama's healthcare plan, labor policy, and budget

Average voter in PA: But that's what I want

TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #729 on: May 05, 2009, 08:53:46 PM »

No, you're a hack for other reasons.  And, responding to the italics, I am a forum hack too - hence why I am replying in this thread.  That being said, the average voter won't care about Specter's opinions on the Minnesota Senate Race or other ridiculous things that you and I talk about.

I think the voters can appreciate Specter's dillema.  He's trying to serve the people of Pennsylvania, but all Washington DC cares about is the juvenile antics of politics.

I don't exactly appreciate his "dilemma."  I want to know where he stands.  There is a part of me wishing he were still a Republican.  If he screws us on EFCA, it's buh bye regardless of what Obama, Biden, and Rendell say and I will be pulling for Joe Sestak (Yeah, I think he'll run if Specter screws us).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #730 on: May 05, 2009, 08:54:22 PM »

I'm going to laugh so hard if he loses the Democratic primary.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #731 on: May 05, 2009, 08:57:22 PM »

Specter backtracks on Coleman! LOL, this is getting ridiculous. Does this man not have any principles, or does he just make things up as he goes along?

Sen. Arlen Specter (D-PA) reversed himself from comments he made in an interview in which he said he wanted Norm Coleman (R) to prevail in the disputed Minnesota Senate race against Al Franken (D), CQ Politics reports.

Said Specter: "In the swirl of moving from one caucus to another, I have to get used to my new teammates. I'm ordinarily pretty correct in what I say. I've made a career of being precise. I conclusively misspoke."

Asked who he's backing now in elections, Specter said, "I'm looking for more Democratic members. Nothing personal."

LOL

I'm almost beginning to feel sorry for him now. I would wager he loses the primary if he votes against card check and loses union support.

Also, it looks like he will be the junior senator now on most committees. Ole Arlen is starting over.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/34648-1.html
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #732 on: May 05, 2009, 08:57:55 PM »

And note to Arlen:  You can't pull a Joe Lieberman.  You lose the Democrats, you lose period!

Note:  My vote is still up in the air, but as of now, you know what my sig says.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #733 on: May 05, 2009, 09:00:48 PM »

No, you're a hack for other reasons.

LOL

Please explain!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Your act is worse than his.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #734 on: May 05, 2009, 09:01:23 PM »

No, you're a hack for other reasons.  And, responding to the italics, I am a forum hack too - hence why I am replying in this thread.  That being said, the average voter won't care about Specter's opinions on the Minnesota Senate Race or other ridiculous things that you and I talk about.

I think the voters can appreciate Specter's dillema.  He's trying to serve the people of Pennsylvania, but all Washington DC cares about is the juvenile antics of politics.

I can't agree with you here. Specter is out to serve his own ass and ego, not the people of Pennsylvania. I hate to see moderates leave as much as you do, but Specter has really disappointed me recently.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #735 on: May 05, 2009, 09:07:12 PM »

Don is a whore for anyone he personally likes. When they go astray (even as blatantly as Specter has), you still will rarely see Don give them hell about it.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #736 on: May 05, 2009, 09:11:12 PM »

Specter is out to serve his own ass and ego, not the people of Pennsylvania.

BINGO!!!!!!!

As much as the 60th seat is a nice thing, I really don't give a damn whether he has a job tomorrow.  He can retire right now very comfortably.  I can see him giving us a screw job.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #737 on: May 05, 2009, 09:13:33 PM »

Specter is out to serve his own ass and ego, not the people of Pennsylvania.

BINGO!!!!!!!

I hate how that was ignored when Republicans made that argument...

Now you guys know...
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #738 on: May 05, 2009, 09:13:58 PM »

There is a part of me wishing he were still a Republican.

I hear ya Smiley

How does he screw you on EFCA by voting the way he was going to vote on it?  If he switched his vote to yes, wouldn't he be "betraying his principles" or some such nonsense?

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #739 on: May 05, 2009, 09:15:20 PM »

He already switched his vote, he sponsored it in years priors

Phil, the best way for Toomey to hypothetically beat Ridge will be highlighting Ridge's pro-choice status, right?  This could be the perfect test of whether Club for Growth will target someone for being socially liberal and test Don's theory.  I'm sure Cornyn is on the phone with Ridge every day heckling him to run
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #740 on: May 05, 2009, 09:17:55 PM »

Average Voter:  "So what?  Is anyone going to talk about my job or how I can get health care for my family"

No silly, the average voter wants more conservatism!  Conservatism always wins and works wherever its tried and cures cancer and makes brussel sprouts taste like chocolate.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #741 on: May 05, 2009, 09:23:05 PM »

Well, in Don's defense, the constant, posted everywhere, "Specter is wild & crazy!! Look at him lose it for five dolla!" comments are a little silly. All of us are probably blowing these things out of proportion in terms of the impact it'll have on anything by the time the wheels of the actual elections start turning.

I didn't see this earlier - its right on the mark!
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #742 on: May 05, 2009, 09:28:29 PM »

To bring this conversation to some productive focus:

We know all the things Specter has done wrong and why he's hated - but try putting yourself in his shoes for a moment.  What is Specter supposed to do?   

I think he really is a Republican, but the Republican Party is too exclusive to accept Republicans at the moment.  America really only has one functioning political party, and everyone understands why he had to join it. 

So now he's there - is he supposed to turn his back on everything he said to make Dems happy?  Is he supposed to keep his same positions so that he doesn't appear "unprincipled".  If you were Arlen, what would you do?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #743 on: May 05, 2009, 09:30:48 PM »

I'd be happy if he was as liberal as he was in 2007-2008.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #744 on: May 05, 2009, 09:34:12 PM »

I'd be happy if he was as liberal as he was in 2007-2008.

What was he liberal on?  All I remember from that time was him appearing on Rush and Sean Hannity about judicial stuff.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #745 on: May 05, 2009, 09:35:19 PM »

Haha, Markos = my hero.

Actually Phil and him would probably get along pretty well, as long as they only talked about Specter.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #746 on: May 05, 2009, 09:41:44 PM »

He already switched his vote, he sponsored it in years priors

Phil, the best way for Toomey to hypothetically beat Ridge will be highlighting Ridge's pro-choice status, right?  This could be the perfect test of whether Club for Growth will target someone for being socially liberal and test Don's theory.  I'm sure Cornyn is on the phone with Ridge every day heckling him to run

Well, there are other issues like school choice.

No silly, the average voter wants more conservatism!  Conservatism always wins and works wherever its tried and cures cancer and makes brussel sprouts taste like chocolate.

Or they want someone who isn't so blatantly opportunistic and such a loose cannon!

Well, Don, he did do that! Are you blind? He just said he now supports Franken and he was just confused about what side he was on now.

Haha, Markos = my hero.

Actually Phil and him would probably get along pretty well, as long as they only talked about Specter.

I've said that I'd really like the guy if he backs a challenger.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #747 on: May 05, 2009, 09:47:05 PM »

Well, Don, he did do that! Are you blind? He just said he now supports Franken and he was just confused about what side he was on now.

And again, what was he supposed to do?  Two weeks ago he would have had to support Coleman in order to not get attacked.  Now he has to support Franken in order to not get attacked.  Poo on him for forgetting what the stupid partisan talking point was supposed to be at any particular time.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #748 on: May 05, 2009, 09:58:08 PM »

And again, what was he supposed to do?  Two weeks ago he would have had to support Coleman in order to not get attacked.  Now he has to support Franken in order to not get attacked.  Poo on him for forgetting what the stupid partisan talking point was supposed to be at any particular time.

There is really a defense for being a partisan hack? He screwed up which party he was in. Sure, this probably won't matter in 18 months (unless Sestak sticks it in an ad), but, and I have used this argument against Phil as well, why can't we follow the news of the day and comment on it?

This stuff is news and interesting. We shouldn't shut the forum down for the next year until what the candidates say actually makes a difference on the race.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #749 on: May 05, 2009, 09:58:48 PM »

Oh, I don't know, not talk about it? Not answer the ridiculous question about how you feel regarding the absence of Jewish Republicans in the Senate? How about that?

I obviously don't care that he said he wanted Coleman. I just like that it pisses off the Dems.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies