Pennsylvania 2010 - The Official Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 05:46:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pennsylvania 2010 - The Official Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 45
Author Topic: Pennsylvania 2010 - The Official Thread  (Read 115966 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: May 03, 2009, 10:46:52 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Uh...what Kool Aid am I drinking here? I laughed if he actually said that.

Someone needs to stop being the Specter Apologist here tonight...
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #626 on: May 03, 2009, 10:57:51 PM »

You take everything the guy says like it's a major gaffe and is going to lose him the election. What he said is likely to win, not lose him the election in 2010. Rather than look up what he said and how it has been taken thus far, you took this news as fresh proof of Specter's lunacy. I'm not apologizing for him at all. I am enlightening you to the real story here, rather than succumbing to your la-la land interpretation of it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #627 on: May 03, 2009, 11:01:10 PM »

You take everything the guy says like it's a major gaffe and is going to lose him the election.

Dude, you need to stop misrepresenting everything I say.

I didn't say this was a major gaffe. I didn't imply it either. You said the same in the other thread. You were wrong (I wouldn't ever expect the other statement to ever be used by an opponent).

Again, what's the "la-la land interpretation?" I said LOL IF TRUE. Read the last two words (which I bolded for you) back to me, please. Then let me know how I "interpreted it."
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #628 on: May 03, 2009, 11:14:55 PM »

It would be nice if you actually looked it up, rather than simply corroborating the deranged ideas of someone clearly speaking without having read up on the matter.

You should realize that the way you quoted that post appeared to imply your endorsement of its substance.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #629 on: May 03, 2009, 11:24:01 PM »

It would be nice if you actually looked it up, rather than simply corroborating the deranged ideas of someone clearly speaking without having read up on the matter.

Oh, yeah, clearly deranged.  Roll Eyes

And how did is he "clearly speaking without having read up on the matter?" He said it was on Face the Nation. I assumed he watched. I guess that's just as deranged now.  Roll Eyes

Whatever, dude. I don't know how many times I have to highlight/bold/bring to your attention that I said "if true."
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #630 on: May 04, 2009, 07:25:50 AM »

"Reagan carried this state twice. I don't think this state has changed," said Toomey, a former U.S. Representative from Lehigh County.

I expect liberal Democrats to do extremely well in Oklahoma and Idaho any day now.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #631 on: May 04, 2009, 08:04:09 AM »

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0509/Poll_Specter_beats_Toomey_5333.html

Down 20% (name recognition's an issue here), Specter over 50%
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #632 on: May 04, 2009, 09:03:24 AM »

Not a surprise.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #633 on: May 04, 2009, 09:23:08 AM »

Breakdown of Republican support is the only interesting part to  me:

Ridge 82/10; Toomey 74/18

Did they forget Ridge is an icky moderate? Tongue
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #634 on: May 04, 2009, 09:58:59 AM »

Netroots starting to get grumpy:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/5/4/727577/-Specter-against-key-part-of-health-care-reform-plan
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #635 on: May 04, 2009, 10:28:52 AM »

Yeah so Specter up 53% to 33% does make sense now. As pointed out, Toomey's name recognition sucks now among the entire electorate (67% say they haven't heard enough from him). The Ridge vs. Specter General matchup numbers make sense. Republican support for Ridge, though, is a bit off and if he was to run, he obviously wouldn't have favorable ratings that high.

In more encouraging but totally pointless news...

Specter's internals had him down 15% in a GOP primary - http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front_page/44239847.html?page=2&c=y

And 53% of national respondents an unfavorable opinion of Arlen - http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics2/42_say_specter_s_switch_to_democrat_will_have_big_impact
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #636 on: May 04, 2009, 10:49:24 AM »

It's understandable, but it doesn't necessarily make sense for a politician that just spent the last some odd months bragging how he's going to screw over the liberal agenda and then flip over to the other party because of some poll numbers.  There's always the "don't know" option that 14% of the voters that don't want to vote for Specter but didn't know who Toomey was... having a majority of the vote is something that vulnerable incumbents don't normally possess...  it's interesting anyway.

More importantly, these sorts of poll numbers scare away potential donors.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #637 on: May 04, 2009, 11:22:51 AM »

anyway, I'm sure Dole was polling more than 50% against Hagan at one point in time.  Everyone thought Josh was crazy though haha.

Annnnyway, machine organizing is important in a state like PA.  While Ed and Bob might have a lot of influence, the unions are an important part of the Democratic machine structure.  If they back Sestak, win or lose, that's troops on the ground Specter might not get for the general.  If he's going to filibuster health care reform AND EFCA, what's next, filibuster Obama's Supreme Court nominee?  I mean, his conservative credentials weren't authentic to begin with, how hard is it to say one thing liberal Democrats can look forward to... I'm sure he can look back at his 2008 self if he doesn't remember.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #638 on: May 04, 2009, 11:57:18 AM »

Look at my signature.  A free pass Arlen will not be getting out of me.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #639 on: May 04, 2009, 12:14:04 PM »

Can Specter please support just one thing in it's entirety? For goodness sakes.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #640 on: May 04, 2009, 12:53:50 PM »

He's too much of a lawyer.  He has never acted like a legislator.  He should know the difference.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #641 on: May 04, 2009, 01:34:19 PM »

sestak looks great and i'll support him if he runs, but I saw the latest polls and approval ratings and I think I want to puke... pa is such a f- ed up state
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #642 on: May 04, 2009, 02:42:45 PM »

I've heard that several people close to Ridge say he really wants nothing to do with this race.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #643 on: May 04, 2009, 04:10:09 PM »

What the hell is this PS? I am deranged becaused I watched the show first hand and saw the surprised look on Bob Scheifer's face when Specter uttered those words. I am sorry that I don't get all my info from the web, that I like to see things on TV as well. You just can't get all the detail from a black and white page. You don't see there faces, there expressions, and there reactions. Since you frowned upon making assumptions about races on the previous page you obviously find it alright to make assumption about other people. That counts as being a hypocrit just like someone else we have been discussing. You complain about me not reading up on the matter but you unfortunately didn't bother to read my post in its entirety, I mentioned that it may not be what Specter meant, but  it will be the assumed meaning once it gets clipped into a Toomey ad and I have no doubt that these two will be throwing everything including the kitchen sink at each so taking each other "out of context" should be expected in this race anyway. I am not surprised by your defence of Specter, you too are a lot alike.

Quit throwing your damned personal insults at me. I used to have respect for you but unfortunately I am being to think that respect is misplaced.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #644 on: May 04, 2009, 04:32:55 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2009, 04:35:58 PM by Lunar »

....anyway, back to PA...

the AFL-CIO continues to throw jabs at Specter until he show some return to his pro-labor past self:
http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2009/05/abc-news-rick-k.html

and WHY would he make this argument AFTER switching?:

Nelson and Lincoln have come out against it, but why are you trying to make yourself more dickish the primary electorate than is necessary?

I thought this guy was a good politician.

anyway... here's the golden nugget.  The carrot with the stick.

[quote] Trumka said he's still confident that Specter's concerns about the bill can be addressed.

"He says he's not for the current bill in its current form, although I think there is a form that he will [support]. We'll see what happens," he said.

He added that any bill "absolutely" would have to provide for binding arbitration to provide a fixed timeline for resolving disputes over forming unions -- a provision that is harshly opposed by business groups.

"This would take some of their ability to intimidate and delay away," Trumka said.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #645 on: May 04, 2009, 04:35:07 PM »

Arlen's a true moderate, he pisses everyone off.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #646 on: May 04, 2009, 04:44:01 PM »

Specter 42%
Toomey 36%

Ridge 39%
Specter 38%

http://grassrootspa.com/?p=29782#more-29782
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #647 on: May 04, 2009, 04:50:59 PM »

Not buying those numbers.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #648 on: May 04, 2009, 04:52:17 PM »

Hmm, any guesses at how those undecideds may fall?  We may have recent some evidence of what a poll that pushers their leaners a little bit more would look like

... "In the Specter/Toomey match-up, Specter is winning support from Democrats by a 50 percent margin while Toomey is winning support from Republicans by a 46 percent margin."  uh, err...

Also, on my previous post:

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #649 on: May 04, 2009, 04:55:42 PM »

I feel like GrassRootsPA is sometimes an almost-mockingly attempt to be more ridiculously screwed up than Drudge.  I mean, when the Q poll came out showing Toomey way behind, they image-headlined for hours instead a Rasmussen poll showing Specter with only 49% approval rating nationwide.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies