UK Election 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:50:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK Election 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 71
Author Topic: UK Election 2010  (Read 253645 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: January 26, 2010, 11:08:02 AM »

0.1% GROWTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back into recession again in Q1 anyone?

Well, no, because if we're measuring recessions through quarterly growth then a recession is not declared based on one quarter of shrinking.

In reality the... er... um... 'slump' seems like a useful word... the slump is continuing here and everywhere else and will continue to do so for quite a while.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #776 on: January 26, 2010, 11:42:57 AM »

Well, no, because if we're measuring recessions through quarterly growth then a recession is not declared based on one quarter of shrinking.

In reality the... er... um... 'slump' seems like a useful word... the slump is continuing here and everywhere else and will continue to do so for quite a while.

Something MSM appear to have forgotten. Given that the 0.1% was on the back of Christmas sales growth was probably non existant, shopping spree aside. Now with VAT back up it will make for interesting reading.

The great thing is, from a Tory p.o.v is how sluggish our recovery is in comparison with other comparable nations.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #777 on: January 26, 2010, 11:45:07 AM »

Something MSM appear to have forgotten. Given that the 0.1% was on the back of Christmas sales growth was probably non existant, shopping spree aside. Now with VAT back up it will make for interesting reading.

The great thing is, from a Tory p.o.v is how sluggish our recovery is in comparison with other comparable nations.

You guys had more of a bubble compared to other nations.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #778 on: January 26, 2010, 12:01:33 PM »

You guys had more of a bubble compared to other nations.

Housing and finance, yeah. The only people who I went to primary school with that still live in the area are living with their parents (mostly on farms). No one else can afford to buy and the area has sod all social housing.

On a less dark point, unemployment hasn't reached the sort of levels that looked likely a year ago. Probably a good thing that the pound has lost so much value...
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #779 on: January 26, 2010, 12:36:16 PM »

Be careful what you wish for. Small policy changes such as those resulting from a change in government do not revive economies. If the Conservatives inherit a weak economy, they may regret it in four years when the economy is still in bad shape--won't be true worldwide, but could be true in Britain.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #780 on: January 26, 2010, 12:47:40 PM »

Don't be suprised if Brown does call an election in March if it looks like the numbers will for for Q1.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #781 on: January 26, 2010, 12:57:37 PM »

A hung parliament would actually be interesting.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #782 on: January 26, 2010, 01:17:26 PM »

Yeah. I'd like to think that the Tories would sway the Lib Dems with PR... but it's not happening.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #783 on: January 26, 2010, 02:18:19 PM »

Oh, true. But very unstable, one way or 'tuther.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #784 on: January 26, 2010, 04:20:35 PM »

I actually hope there is a hung parliament.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #785 on: January 26, 2010, 04:29:01 PM »

The only scenario I would be happy with is the SNP holding the balance of power and pushing for major concessions in terms of deepening devolution. I would contend that the Tories are best placed to offer that.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #786 on: January 26, 2010, 05:06:26 PM »

The only scenario I would be happy with is the SNP holding the balance of power and pushing for major concessions in terms of deepening devolution. I would contend that the Tories are best placed to offer that.

That's one of the few scenarios I'd be unhappy with.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #787 on: January 26, 2010, 05:13:02 PM »

That's one of the few scenarios I'd be unhappy with.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #788 on: January 26, 2010, 07:34:04 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2010, 07:50:06 PM by afleitch »

Nice little swingometer map (at last)

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/swingometer-map

To change forecast, use the arrows next to the vote shares to move them up or down. Seems a little 'buggy'

EDIT: If you want to get shares rather than just swing you need to set Others first, then Lib Dems, then toggle Labour and the Tories
KuntaKinte
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -0.52

« Reply #789 on: January 27, 2010, 01:18:04 AM »

While playing around with the swingometer map that afleitch posted, I found out that there is not a single truly safe Labour seat in Kent. That sursprised me.
Are the old coalmining areas in Kent not as loyal to the Labour Party as their equivalents in Wales and the North? Or are they just to small and not populous enough to dominate a constituency?

IIRC the Kent coalfield  was actually one of the more "radical" NUM areas in the strike of 1984.
Novelty
Rookie
« Reply #790 on: January 27, 2010, 02:30:29 AM »

I plugged in the following numbers

Con 40%
Lab 30%
LD 20%
Others 10%

and that showed the Tories get a majority of 0.  What would happen if the Tories get a majority of 0.  They would still form the government, but would they look for coalition partners?  Would the UUP survive to provide it a small minority?
Chancellor of the Duchy of Little Lever and Darcy Lever
andrewteale
Romania

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #791 on: January 27, 2010, 04:46:29 AM »

While playing around with the swingometer map that afleitch posted, I found out that there is not a single truly safe Labour seat in Kent. That sursprised me.
Are the old coalmining areas in Kent not as loyal to the Labour Party as their equivalents in Wales and the North? Or are they just to small and not populous enough to dominate a constituency?

IIRC the Kent coalfield  was actually one of the more "radical" NUM areas in the strike of 1984.

As far as I know the Kent coalfield is just a small part of the Dover constituency - if the Tory rural areas can outvote Dover, Deal and the ex-coalfield then they win.  All the other Kent Labour seats have *very* small majorities.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #792 on: January 27, 2010, 06:06:01 AM »

As far as I know the Kent coalfield is just a small part of the Dover constituency - if the Tory rural areas can outvote Dover, Deal and the ex-coalfield then they win.  All the other Kent Labour seats have *very* small majorities.
Exactly: it's tiny.

I think Kent (not counting Kentish London, of course) was all-Tory as late as 1992.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #793 on: January 27, 2010, 06:31:21 AM »

The Kent coalfield was tiny. It is, however, very Labour; its core (Aylesham) is probably the Party's strongest ward in Kent/Surrey/Sussex. Your memory is correct, btw; on some votes down the years, the Kent coalfield was actually the most militant of all.
KuntaKinte
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -0.52

« Reply #794 on: January 27, 2010, 06:50:47 AM »

Thank you all for answering. I have to say this is one of the threads that actually learned me something.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #795 on: January 29, 2010, 08:00:37 PM »

UKPollingReport's average now has the election in hung parliment territory, hasn't been there in a long while.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #796 on: January 30, 2010, 08:08:57 AM »

More news on retirements... John McFall (the high profile Chairman of the Treasury Select Committee and the M.P for West Dunbartonshire) and Don Touhig (M.P for Islwyn). Considering what happened the last time AWS was imposed on a Monmouthshire Valleys constituency, I do hope that the NEC decides against that option...

McFall, of course, looks like a Mafia don so his retirement is quite tragic:

change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #797 on: January 31, 2010, 11:27:10 AM »

I really, REALLY hope he doesn't.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article7009745.ece
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #798 on: January 31, 2010, 11:31:31 AM »

Blair and Brown were both megalomaniacs.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #799 on: January 31, 2010, 11:40:12 AM »

Sort of difficult to think of many PMs who you can't accuse of that...

Sunday Paper Story. Ignoring that... even if he were to try to stay on... well, the game changes in opposition.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 71  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies