UK Election 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 11:11:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK Election 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 71
Author Topic: UK Election 2010  (Read 254785 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: January 14, 2010, 04:55:51 PM »
« edited: January 14, 2010, 04:58:18 PM by Send in the Clowns »

I'm suprised that Plaid are stagnent compared to 2005.

Well, they are in government here. But you have to remember that polls in Wales have much more of a shot-in-the-dark aspect than in the rest of Britain (I could go into the reasons for this, but you might get bored. Putting things as simply as possible, what is true in Cardiff is not always true in Merthyr, and what is true in Merthyr is not always true in Caernarfon) and that YouGov have no record here. It is a little odd though - with the hilarious exception of 1999, Plaid have usually been the overestimated party in Welsh polling.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #751 on: January 16, 2010, 07:36:37 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2010, 11:12:31 AM by change08 »

Unsuprising:

That age gap is pretty telling to me...
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #752 on: January 16, 2010, 09:04:48 AM »

I'd be interested in the teacher numbers for 2005, if they're available. I'm sure Labour won them in a landslide.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #753 on: January 16, 2010, 09:15:27 AM »

Heh, I remember all my teachers were left wing Labourites. Except my French one, who was a hardcore Chomskyite.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #754 on: January 16, 2010, 09:17:48 AM »

I'd be interested in the teacher numbers for 2005, if they're available. I'm sure Labour won them in a landslide.

Eh, accurate figures for this sort of thing don't really exist. However...

Teaching has always been one of the more Labour inclined professions (this even before the gap between the voting habits of professionals in the private and public sector opened up in the '80s). There used to be some interesting voting differences within the profession (due to the way the education system used to be structured) but the last traces of that ended in the '80's. Though things varied from place to place once; in the '40s and '50s it was widely known that if you wanted to be a teacher in County Durham you had to be a Party member.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #755 on: January 16, 2010, 10:00:33 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

They're moving away from Labour at a faster rate than the nation it appears. I expect some swing back towards Labour in 2010-2015 (Whenever that election is) for some reason.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #756 on: January 16, 2010, 11:06:25 AM »

As a teacher, I'm surprised that the Conservative pledge to renege on the previously agreed 2.3% salary rise for the next academic year hasn't pushed more teachers away. Certainly the day after that announcement it was widely discussed in the staff room and there were previously Tory voters who were at least wavering.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #757 on: January 16, 2010, 11:32:35 AM »

As a teacher, I'm surprised that the Conservative pledge to renege on the previously agreed 2.3% salary rise for the next academic year hasn't pushed more teachers away. Certainly the day after that announcement it was widely discussed in the staff room and there were previously Tory voters who were at least wavering.

Well it is a Mori poll.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #758 on: January 16, 2010, 01:23:21 PM »

The teachers poll is pretty unsuprising.

Most of my teachers generally lean towards the left. I've got the impression that my science teacher is Labour or possibly Green (he goes on a lot about protecting the environment), my headteacher is probably Labour, my former music teacher seems to have a very left wing viewpoint (he gets angry when someone makes a homphobic joke, for example). Other than that, the rest don't really give away their views.

It would be interesting to see what figures the Greens got. I would imagine it would be quite high.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #759 on: January 16, 2010, 05:31:04 PM »

Yeah, same case at my school basically. Most of my teachers are either Scouse or Welsh, to boot.

Well you do live in Birkenhead.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #760 on: January 16, 2010, 05:54:39 PM »

Yeah, same case at my school basically. Most of my teachers are either Scouse or Welsh, to boot.

Well you do live in Birkenhead.

Well yeah...
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #761 on: January 21, 2010, 12:31:15 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2010, 12:33:04 PM by StateBoiler »

The teachers poll is pretty unsuprising.

Most of my teachers generally lean towards the left. I've got the impression that my science teacher is Labour or possibly Green (he goes on a lot about protecting the environment), my headteacher is probably Labour, my former music teacher seems to have a very left wing viewpoint (he gets angry when someone makes a homphobic joke, for example). Other than that, the rest don't really give away their views.

It would be interesting to see what figures the Greens got. I would imagine it would be quite high.

I remember my U.S. history teacher in high school and we discussed politics a lot in there (the Clinton impeachment was going on at the same time and he let us watch the Clinton questioning in class, so I watched "live" the president ask the definition of the word "is"). I don't know if my history teacher was conservative, but he definitely wasn't liberal. I remember him telling us how he ceased his membership in the National Teacher Association/Union or whatever after they told him to vote for Walter Mondale in 1984.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #762 on: January 24, 2010, 05:15:53 PM »

So Bob Ainsworth also let slip today that the election will be held on May 6th.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #763 on: January 24, 2010, 05:28:18 PM »

Stephen Hesford of Wirral West is standing down. The seat was a Labour win in 2005, but is notionally Tory. Ester McVee is the Tory candidate.

Ben Chapman and Stephen Hesford are now retiring from the 2 Wirral seats the Labour would have lost anyway.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #764 on: January 24, 2010, 11:32:53 PM »

Won't Cameron easily become the next PM?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #765 on: January 25, 2010, 01:46:56 AM »

Yes. There has been chatter that Labour might mount a comeback, but really this is just the media trying to sell a news story. A guaranteed Conservative victory is kind of boring and not very profitable (which actually makes me a little surprised that Murdoch jumped so early and not, say, three days before the election).
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #766 on: January 25, 2010, 05:41:52 AM »

Certainly not easily.

Maybe not even at all.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #767 on: January 25, 2010, 12:05:36 PM »

The latest prediction by UKPollingReport is a Tory majority of 20, so probably not.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #768 on: January 25, 2010, 12:15:49 PM »

The latest prediction by UKPollingReport is a Tory majority of 20, so probably not.

It'd actually be so much of a mega-fail on their part if there was a hung parliment.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #769 on: January 25, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »

Cameron will become PM this year unless something very strange happens between now and the election. Even if there's a hung parliament (still fairly unlikely, IMO), the government will almost certainly be Tory-led.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #770 on: January 25, 2010, 01:31:19 PM »

I think Cameron will win.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #771 on: January 25, 2010, 06:13:37 PM »

Cameron will become PM this year unless something very strange happens between now and the election. Even if there's a hung parliament (still fairly unlikely, IMO), the government will almost certainly be Tory-led.

Any situation that forces Cameron to run a minority government would be interesting. I believe Nick Clegg is 'grandstanding' and would form a coalition with the Tories fairly easily. He pretty much has to; if the Tories call a further election the Lib Dems are likely to be gut punched by the electorate.

One of the most interesting things about Cameron's tenure is the lack of defection to the Tories (we had buffoon leave...) There is a belief, and based on what I know it seems plausable that there are a small 'bank' of Lib Dem/Labour MP's who could defect to the Tories to secure a small majority should they fall short (most of the names I've heard are not standing down at the next GE)

I still hold to the idea that the Tories will win a majority of 20-50 and when they next go to the country (thanks to the economy even without Labour squabbles) may be able to increase that.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #772 on: January 26, 2010, 04:20:07 AM »

Still holding out for a scenario where the Tories have a majority only if you discount MPs from Scotland. Grin
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #773 on: January 26, 2010, 08:21:58 AM »

0.1% GROWTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back into recession again in Q1 anyone?
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #774 on: January 26, 2010, 10:35:45 AM »

When do growth figures for Q1 come out? Surely they'll have to have the election before then if it looks like negative growth will be back.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 71  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies