UK Election 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 06:04:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK Election 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 71
Author Topic: UK Election 2010  (Read 254742 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: February 28, 2010, 07:44:51 AM »

New YouGov poll:

Tories: 37% (-2)
Labour: 35% (+2)

I think this is one of the one-day-polls, so I suppose its more likely to be wrong. Us being essentially level with 2005 is a little hard for me to believe, however nice it is to see.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #876 on: February 28, 2010, 08:41:08 AM »

New YouGov poll:

I think this is one of the one-day-polls, so I suppose its more likely to be wrong. Us being essentially level with 2005 is a little hard for me to believe, however nice it is to see.

YouGov's tracker poll is curious. The last company to try this at the last election was Populous, whos figures ended up all over the place. So prior to beginning this one, YouGov reviewed it's methods and changed their poll 'weighting' further in Labours favour. Daily samples are only polling about 800-850 people a daye (which is pretty low given YouGovs potential outreach.

For the record, the unweighed figures for the past 3 days in terms of a party 'share' of a 3 party choice (helluva lot of don't knows) have been consistent. Post 'bullying' Con identifiers rose 7% and Labour fell 4%

An out and out weighting by how people voted in 2005 (33-36-23) gave the Tories a 12% lead with AR on the 21st and a landslide producing 12% swing in the marginals...

This is not to suggest that AR is correct, namely that all pollsters are essentialy polling the same data but applying weighting and redistribution in a varying way.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #877 on: February 28, 2010, 08:46:15 AM »

New YouGov poll:

YouGov's tracker poll is curious. The last company to try this at the last election was Populous, whos figures ended up all over the place. So prior to beginning this one, YouGov reviewed it's methods and changed their poll 'weighting' further in Labours favour. Daily samples are only polling about 800-850 people a daye (which is pretty low given YouGovs potential outreach.

For the record, the unweighed figures for the past 3 days in terms of a party 'share' of a 3 party choice (helluva lot of don't knows) have been consistent. Post 'bullying' Con identifiers rose 7% and Labour fell 4%

An out and out weighting by how people voted in 2005 (33-36-23) gave the Tories a 12% lead with AR on the 21st and a landslide producing 12% swing in the marginals...

This is not to suggest that AR is correct, namely that all pollsters are essentialy polling the same data but applying weighting and redistribution in a varying way.

EDIT: Just to note that I am enjoying this. Cameron is displaying the steely nerve (as are those in the party) of someone who knows more than he is letting on. In public at least, Labour cannot play their 'underdog' rhetoric; we've always performed well when that happens Wink
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #878 on: February 28, 2010, 09:33:43 AM »

What I am doing is averaging all polls that publish details of their poll (something YouGov never do) and then adjusting them by the average change between the date of the poll and the election result since 1950 and so far (and these are the numbers that my maps are based on):

Conservatives 38.58% (+5.36% on Election 2005) winning 367 seats (+157 seats)
Labour 23.95% (-12.23% on Election 2005) winning 183 seats (-166 seats)
Liberal Democrats 20.68% (-1.96% on Election 2005) winning 63 seats (+1 seat)
United Kingdom Independence Party 4.09% (+1.78% on Election 2005) winning 0 seats (unchanged)
Green Party 3.51% (+2.44% on Election 2005) winning 1 seat (+1 seat)
Scottish National Party 3.13% (+1.58% on Election 2005) winning 11 seats (+5 seats)
British National Party 3.00% (+2.28% on Election 2005) winning 0 seats (unchanged)
Other Parties 1.00% (-0.65% on Election 2005) winning 20 seats (-1 seat)
Plaid Cymru 0.99% (+0.33% on Election 2005) winning 5 seats (+3 seats)
Conservative lead of 14.62% (+17.58% on Election 2005) with an overall majority of 84 seats
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #879 on: February 28, 2010, 02:19:27 PM »

I hope Gordon goes to the country tomorrow. I want to take to the streets and say 'right guys; this is it, what do you want in the next 5 years?'
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #880 on: February 28, 2010, 02:27:37 PM »

I hope Gordon goes to the country tomorrow. I want to take to the streets and say 'right guys; this is it, what do you want in the next 5 years?'

It wouldn't suprise me if he does.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #881 on: February 28, 2010, 02:28:38 PM »

It would be shot in the arm for the Tories if he does.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #882 on: February 28, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »

If we do see another Labour prime minister, why does it have to be Gordon Brown? Why can't it be Jack Straw? Angry
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #883 on: February 28, 2010, 03:29:24 PM »

If we do see another Labour prime minister, why does it have to be Gordon Brown? Why can't it be Jack Straw? Angry

Or one of the Milibands? Smiley
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #884 on: February 28, 2010, 03:34:37 PM »

Maybe. If Labour is going to run the country for another 4/5 years, then it ought to be someone other then Gordon.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #885 on: February 28, 2010, 03:37:08 PM »

I think he'll wait until after the Budget.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #886 on: February 28, 2010, 03:52:23 PM »

The Tory website has been relaunched in 'campiagn mode'
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #887 on: February 28, 2010, 04:22:45 PM »

David Cameron is starting to remind me of Barack Obama...
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #888 on: February 28, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »

Maybe. If Labour is going to run the country for another 4/5 years, then it ought to be someone other then Gordon.

Dennis Skinner. Wink
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #889 on: February 28, 2010, 04:38:31 PM »

SO what concessions do you guys think that the Conservatives (or Labour) will have to make to the Lib Dems in the event of a Hung Parliament?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #890 on: February 28, 2010, 04:42:44 PM »

SO what concessions do you guys think that the Conservatives (or Labour) will have to make to the Lib Dems in the event of a Hung Parliament?

Hopefully something on electoral reform.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #891 on: February 28, 2010, 04:43:40 PM »

Dave wishes.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #892 on: February 28, 2010, 04:49:04 PM »

Hopefully something on electoral reform.

That's what I think is most likely.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #893 on: February 28, 2010, 04:50:32 PM »

Ugh.

Also, if PR gets passed, that would be awesome.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #894 on: February 28, 2010, 05:02:14 PM »

A man who likes the sound of his own voice? Wink
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #895 on: February 28, 2010, 05:17:45 PM »

A man who likes the sound of his own voice? Wink

A man who calls for change for the sake of change Tongue
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #896 on: February 28, 2010, 05:23:12 PM »

New YouGov poll:

This latest poll is great news for the Tories because it may lead to some anti-Labour voters not willing to risk Brown getting back in. I think a poll showing Labour close to the Tories is more likely to increase the Tory vote.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #897 on: February 28, 2010, 06:14:39 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, but if the Conservatives end up just a few seats short of a majority, then what happens?  Is one allowed to form a minority government, as in Canada, or would there have to be a coalition?
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #898 on: February 28, 2010, 06:15:49 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2010, 06:18:51 PM by Kucinichisdabest »

New YouGov poll:

This latest poll is great news for the Tories because it may lead to some anti-Labour voters not willing to risk Brown getting back in. I think a poll showing Labour close to the Tories is more likely to increase the Tory vote.

Of course, there's no such thing as an anti-Tory....

Besides, i don't think the vast majority of voters look at polls.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #899 on: February 28, 2010, 07:07:16 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, but if the Conservatives end up just a few seats short of a majority, then what happens?  Is one allowed to form a minority government, as in Canada, or would there have to be a coalition?

They could form a minority government, yes. Most governments that lack a majority (even if they have one normally but don't on certain votes) can buy Unionist support, at least for a while. Coalitions would (probably) only be seriously considered if the largest party was a long way short of a majority. Of course, there's always the option of calling another election in the hope of getting a majority; which is very risky, though has worked in the past (but has never been tried in the age of intensive media coverage).
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 71  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies