Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 10:55:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 196 197 198 199 200 [201] 202 203 204 205 206 ... 315
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 226211 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5000 on: January 04, 2024, 11:48:17 PM »

Not sure if this was already posted.

While support for the Palestinians is still quite low, only 39% of Americans say they side with Israel. Ukraine is still very popular.

I think its a good thing that a solid majority (55%) of Democrats either sympathize more with the Palestinians or equal. Another 20% unsure. For total Americans, its about 40% with 20% unsure

I think once Gen Z starts voting in mass and the American public gets fully educated on the issue, we might get a South Africa situation. Sanctions on Israel might no longer be taboo, to pressure for a two state solution.

No one can deny, the tide is turning when it comes to public opinion. Compare this poll to 10 years ago. Not even Vosem

Love that you're leaving out the ugly part about that.

GenZ, for all the hype about being the first generation "immune to propaganda" is in fact the most indoctrinated out of any generation in the US ever. This isn't just because of TikTok, but demographics mean that these people will be in charge of our political system, universities, and corporations.

The people I grew up with don't deserve to be homeless because nobody will hire Jewish people. Their kids don't deserve to be rejected from colleges anyone else would get into because they are Jewish.

That's what America is headed towards.
No, we are not. Gen Z is the most welcoming and accepting generation in history. They were the first to turn on Kanye West for example.

I'm a 24 year old Muslim-American teacher. I teach in a poor area in the deep(ish) south. I am shocked how tolerant my students are compared to just 10 years ago and especially 20 years ago.

GenZ is much more tolerant than any other generations on things like LGBT rights, anti-racism, and other things. They are less tolerant on Jews, because we are associated with Zionism and they can't separate the two.

I doubt that would come up often in Tennessee, where Jews make up only 0.3% of the total population.

Younger people are far, far better at separating Israel from Judaism than Boomers or Gen Xers.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5001 on: January 04, 2024, 11:55:36 PM »

We have reached banter levels unheard of in this thread to date.
The popcorn has already sold out.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5002 on: January 04, 2024, 11:57:37 PM »

Still trying to figure out why New York Muslims tear down posters of kidnapped Israeli women and children.

Man Spits at Photographer

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1sp8SVLZP7/

It is the worst possible look for the Islamic community. It's just a rotten act performed by rotten minds.

They are either in denial that the kidnappings occurred or are sympathetic with Hamas.

Either way, It's gone global on the news and they look complicit with the vile actions committed on October 7.

In 1943-45, if people posted pictures from Auschwitz of the gas chambers, German citizens would not tear down the posters in New York.

The only part that pleases me is the average Americans' reaction to these nutcases and the subsequent cessation of their employment and education opportunities.

Why are the posters in the United States?

Did someone expect these people to turn up in the United States?

Well, there are people in the United States who are ignorant or hateful, and so do not support the Israeli bombing of Gaza. It would be good if they were reminded of the morally obligatory nature of this action whenever they turned their heads. As in other countries, Banquo's ghost will drive them mad, causing Palestinian liberationism as a whole to lose momentum and support.

In other words, it has nothing to do with the hostages.

It's a political statement.

Got it.

It has everything to do with the hostages. The hostages are the reason that Gaza must be bombed until Hamas agrees to carry out Israeli policies.

(Also, do you like my signature? It's inspired by yours! I think, before the war ends, many more Gazan combatants will need to strip to ensure that they are not suicide bombers. After all, perfidy is a very serious war crime, and Hamas members cannot be allowed to commit it.)

The Israeli government doesn't care about the hostages.

They are just pawns for the Israeli government to get rid of the Palestinians.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5003 on: January 05, 2024, 12:00:08 AM »

While support for the Palestinians is still quite low, only 39% of Americans say they side with Israel. Ukraine is still very popular.

I think its a good thing that a solid majority (55%) of Democrats either sympathize more with the Palestinians or equal. Another 20% unsure. For total Americans, its about 40% with 20% unsure

I think once Gen Z starts voting in mass and the American public gets fully educated on the issue, we might get a South Africa situation. Sanctions on Israel might no longer be taboo, to pressure for a two state solution.

No one can deny, the tide is turning when it comes to public opinion. Compare this poll to 10 years ago. Not even Vosem

GenZ, for all the hype about being the first generation "immune to propaganda" is in fact the most indoctrinated out of any generation in the US ever. This isn't just because of TikTok, but demographics mean that these people will be in charge of our political system, universities, and corporations.

The people I grew up with don't deserve to be homeless because nobody will hire Jewish people. Their kids don't deserve to be rejected from colleges anyone else would get into because they are Jewish.

No, we are not. Gen Z is the most welcoming and accepting generation in history. They were the first to turn on Kanye West for example.

I'm a 24 year old Muslim-American teacher. I teach in a poor area in the deep(ish) south. I am shocked how tolerant my students are compared to just 10 years ago and especially 20 years ago.

GenZ is much more tolerant than any other generations on things like LGBT rights, anti-racism, and other things. They are less tolerant on Jews, because we are associated with Zionism and they can't separate the two.

I doubt that would come up often in Tennessee, where Jews make up only 0.3% of the total population.

Younger people are far, far better at separating Israel from Judaism than Boomers or Gen Xers.

That just makes them ignorant; actual support for Israel among American Jews is stupidly overwhelming. It also virtually certainly remains so because people converting to Judaism very commonly do so because they are strong Zionists and people commonly stop identifying as Jewish because they dislike Zionism.

(Of course, American Jews are more unique in prioritizing the issue than in what they actually believe about it; among actual Americans, including left-wing ones, support for Israel ranges from unanimous to merely overwhelming.)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5004 on: January 05, 2024, 12:17:26 AM »

Israeli calls for Gaza’s ethnic cleansing are only getting louder

Nearly three months of war have left Gaza in ruins. Israel’s quest to eradicate militant group Hamas after it carried out its deadly Oct. 7 attack looks far from finished, no matter the skyrocketing death toll for Palestinians. More than 20,000 people have been killed in the Gaza Strip due to Israeli bombardments and the ongoing offensive. A sprawling humanitarian crisis has seen close to 90 percent of Gazans displaced and the majority of the embattled territory’s more than 2 million population teetering on the brink of famine.

“I’ve been to all kinds of conflicts and all kinds of crises,” Arif Husain, chief economist for the U.N.’s World Food Program, told the New Yorker this week. “In my life, I’ve never seen anything like this in terms of severity, in terms of scale, and then in terms of speed.”

The human misery unfurling across Gaza finds little sympathy in the Israeli public discourse, where the priority remains the vanquishing of Hamas — perpetrators of the single bloodiest slaughter of Jews since the Holocaust — and the freeing of hostages held in Hamas’s Gazan redoubts. Indeed, a steady drumbeat of sound bites from Israeli lawmakers and other politicos has urged an even more devastating fate for the territory.

Members of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s right-wing coalition have called for the dropping of a nuclear bomb on densely-populated Gaza, the total annihilation of the territory as a mark of retribution, and the immiseration of its people to the point that they have no choice but to abandon their homeland.

This week alone, a parliamentarian from Netanyahu’s Likud party went on television and said it was clear to most Israelis that “all the Gazans need to be destroyed.” Then, Israel’s ambassador in Britain told local radio that there was no other solution for her country than to level “every school, every mosque, every second house” in Gaza to degrade Hamas’s military infrastructure.

This accumulating rhetoric forms part of the 84-page application filed by the government of South Africa at the International Court of Justice, accusing Israel of actions that amount to genocide or failure to prevent genocide. Though it condemns Hamas’s Oct. 7 attack, the South African case argues “no armed attack on a State’s territory no matter how serious — even an attack involving atrocity crimes — can … provide any possible justification for, or defense to, breaches” of the Genocide Convention. Israel’s military campaign in Gaza, it explains, has already “laid waste to vast areas of Gaza, including entire neighborhoods, and has damaged or destroyed in excess of 355,000 Palestinian homes,” rendering swaths of the territory uninhabitable for a long period of time to come. Israeli authorities, claimed the South African complaint, have failed to suppress “direct and public incitement to commit genocide” from a host of Israeli politicians, journalists and public officials.

That includes far-right figures like finance minister Bezalel Smotrich and national security minister Itamar Ben Gvir, who do little to hide their vision of an ethnically-cleansed Gaza. “What needs to be done in the Gaza Strip is to encourage emigration,” Smotrich said in an interview Sunday with Israeli Army Radio. “If there are 100,000 or 200,000 Arabs in Gaza and not 2 million Arabs, the entire discussion on the day after will be totally different.” Ben Gvir separately called for the de facto forced migration of hundreds of thousands out of Gaza.

[...]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/01/05/wv-israel-hamas/
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #5005 on: January 05, 2024, 12:19:01 AM »

In that YouGov poll today, of the 18-29 age group 57% said they sympathize with both sides equally or not sure. There is a large group of young people who are not reflexively pro-Israel but just don't care much about this issue. Meaning they are not blocking traffic.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5006 on: January 05, 2024, 12:39:45 AM »

In that YouGov poll today, of the 18-29 age group 57% said they sympathize with both sides equally or not sure. There is a large group of young people who are not reflexively pro-Israel but just don't care much about this issue. Meaning they are not blocking traffic.

Would someone link this poll?

I can't find it.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5007 on: January 05, 2024, 12:45:52 AM »

68% of over 65s sided with Israel only while only 19% of 18-35s did. If most younger folks are neutral or not sure on such a complex matter, that suggests to me that it is not Zoomers, but ultra Zionist boomers who are really the extremists here.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5008 on: January 05, 2024, 12:47:17 AM »

Would someone link this poll?

I can't find it.

Sure, here. Some highlights are one of the worst favorabilities for the Israeli state I've ever seen...and still more Americans saying Biden's response isn't pro-Israel enough than too anti-Israel, because the amount of goodwill that has been built up (and mostly in the 1980s-2010s, during the periods of Palestinian insurgency and positive press coverage) is really massive.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5009 on: January 05, 2024, 01:41:44 AM »

68% of over 65s sided with Israel only while only 19% of 18-35s did. If most younger folks are neutral or not sure on such a complex matter, that suggests to me that it is not Zoomers, but ultra Zionist boomers who are really the extremists here.

Well, they're not "extremist" relative to American public opinion today, but they're certainly extreme relative to it a few decades ago. Per Gallup opposition to a Palestinian state went from a position held by ~20% of people in 2001 to ~40% in 2021 (and in the same time period rose quickly in Europe); an underrated part of why this issue has become more divisive, even beyond growing Muslim communities, is that as support for Israel has grown in the 21st century there's been a large amount of radicalization towards positions which would've previously been considered extreme, and are still kind of unusual within Israel itself. Most Republicans believing in "from the river to the sea, but Zionist" is a pretty recent phenomenon, as is Dutchmen voting for "there are no Palestinians, actually".
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5010 on: January 05, 2024, 07:44:18 AM »

Less than three months old and this thread has clocked up over 5k posts.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #5011 on: January 05, 2024, 09:39:10 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2024, 09:45:52 AM by Open Source Intelligence »

I think it's more down to how race is treated and taught. You talk to blacks, Latinos, they see Jews as just white people, which means they're a majority group not due any special status. In 1900, Irish and German were races as race was defined at the time. Now, there's no such thing, because race left ethnicity and became defined by skin color.

People want a "less white America" which is what we're heading for if you just look at demographics. We're not becoming more black, they're staying about the same, but our geopolitics is going to naturally become more latinized. Latinos I don't think see Jews as this unique group really matter to them (I don't think blacks as this unique group matter to them either, which is another can of worms). To determine such you would have to get into the education systems of states like Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, Mexico, Venezuela, other Latin American states that we see high immigration from, and how the parents there were taught history which they would kinda sorta pass on to their kids. Religiously, support of Israel is a heavily Protestant-driven thing. Latinos are overwhelmingly Catholic if they are religious.

Regardless, it's pretty clear we'll get a massive sea change in our politics as the Baby Boomers quit voting, retire from politics, and die just due to the size of that generation and how people from the early-to-mid 1940s have continuously held the Presidency the last 31 years, excepting Obama's 2 terms. It's obviously going to carry on into our geopolitical relationships.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #5012 on: January 05, 2024, 10:20:37 AM »

Some people in the West are just stuck inside XX Century concepts of their nations and don’t realize new generations have a completely different background.

Jewish people were racially persecuted inside the West when these countries were all massively White dominated, with white western supremacists seeing Jews as the “Lesser White” ethnicity in their countries.

Nowadays the context is completely different, with Arab and Muslim immigrants receiving the short end of the stick by far and the US soon becoming a non-white and non-western majority country due to increase of American Latino immigration.

The Western world as it existed simply doesn’t anymore, globalization transformed it into something entirely new. And Jewish people are indeed holders of white privilege in this context in the same way WASPs have always been in places like the USA.

For WHITE people I understand why they might see Jews under the lenses of white guilt because of the racially motivated massacre and genocide they as whites committed against them in first half of XX Century. However if you put yourself in the shoes of anyone who is NOT white, from their perspective the social difference between Jewish people and the average White person in the West is basically non-existent.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #5013 on: January 05, 2024, 10:52:03 AM »

I think it's more down to how race is treated and taught. You talk to blacks, Latinos, they see Jews as just white people, which means they're a majority group not due any special status. In 1900, Irish and German were races as race was defined at the time. Now, there's no such thing, because race left ethnicity and became defined by skin color.

In the USA context only that was ever the standard, important to stress! Everywhere else the standard was always very different than theirs, especially LatAm where the largest European influence wasn’t from Ireland or Germany, but from Spain or Portugal.

And that happened ONLY because Germans and Irish and British were the main European blocs the country received. Which made these specific groups be seen as the ~white parameter~ inside USA.

As the immigration trends shifted later to other huge blocs of European immigration - such as Italian which is Southern European - other European groups that were seen as non-white in USA (like Italian) were absorbed into the parameters of Whiteness in USA.

And later, with outside of Europe immigration being dominant nowadays, mostly Mexican by FAR, the Whiteness parameters are bound to be changed once more as the center of whiteness becomes much less rigid than it was before (only people who could be whiter than Germans are what? Scandinavians only?)

Immigration trends explain literally everything as you can see how the country was transformed by different influences across time, with largest immigration groups shifting from German and Irish —> Italian —> Mexican. Those are simply facts:

Comparison with Brazil, for fun:

USA needs to accept its fate once and for all instead of acting like they’re the same country from a century ago.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5014 on: January 05, 2024, 11:05:29 AM »

Less than three months old and this thread has clocked up over 5k posts.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was responsible for at least 10% of USGD posts in 2023.
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #5015 on: January 05, 2024, 11:30:04 AM »

Some people in the West are just stuck inside XX Century concepts of their nations and don’t realize new generations have a completely different background.

Jewish people were racially persecuted inside the West when these countries were all massively White dominated, with white western supremacists seeing Jews as the “Lesser White” ethnicity in their countries.

Nowadays the context is completely different, with Arab and Muslim immigrants receiving the short end of the stick by far and the US soon becoming a non-white and non-western majority country due to increase of American Latino immigration.

The Western world as it existed simply doesn’t anymore, globalization transformed it into something entirely new. And Jewish people are indeed holders of white privilege in this context in the same way WASPs have always been in places like the USA.

For WHITE people I understand why they might see Jews under the lenses of white guilt because of the racially motivated massacre and genocide they as whites committed against them in first half of XX Century. However if you put yourself in the shoes of anyone who is NOT white, from their perspective the social difference between Jewish people and the average White person in the West is basically non-existent.

White supremacists don’t see Jews as “lesser white” people, they don’t see us as white at all. In fact, they see us the way much of the left views white people- as the root of all evil.

It’s true that many nonwhites in America view Jews as simply another flavor of white people and lack “Holocaust guilt” that many whites have, but anti-Semitism among nonwhites is MUCH more common than among white people. Look at any poll on anti-Semitism is rare among whites but fairly common among blacks and Latinos. And among Arabs and Muslims it is very common and goes way beyond just anti-Israel attitudes.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5016 on: January 05, 2024, 11:37:51 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2024, 11:45:35 AM by Punxsutawney Phil »

White supremacists don’t see Jews as “lesser white” people, they don’t see us as white at all. In fact, they see us the way much of the left views white people- as the root of all evil.

It’s true that many nonwhites in America view Jews as simply another flavor of white people and lack “Holocaust guilt” that many whites have, but anti-Semitism among nonwhites is MUCH more common than among white people. Look at any poll on anti-Semitism is rare among whites but fairly common among blacks and Latinos. And among Arabs and Muslims it is very common and goes way beyond just anti-Israel attitudes.
Bigotry against Jews is not uncommon in the Arab community and vice versa. It's far from universal in either case but it's common enough for the overall situation to deserve special care.
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #5017 on: January 05, 2024, 11:55:45 AM »

Bigotry against Jews is not uncommon in the Arab community and vice versa. It's far from universal in either case but it's common enough for the overall situation to deserve special care.

You’re acting like the two are equivalent. All over the West, Jews get beat up and spit on by Muslims and Arabs. The reverse simply does not occur. If Jews are “bigoted” against Arabs (most are not) it would be because of their high likelihood of being anti-Semites.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #5018 on: January 05, 2024, 12:06:59 PM »

ISIS has just called for the killing of Jews worldwide

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/israel-middle-east/isis-spokesman-calls-for-global-attacks-on-jews-kill-them-wherever-you-find-them
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5019 on: January 05, 2024, 12:08:45 PM »

You’re acting like the two are equivalent. All over the West, Jews get beat up and spit on by Muslims and Arabs. The reverse simply does not occur. If Jews are “bigoted” against Arabs (most are not) it would be because of their high likelihood of being anti-Semites.

I'm not the biggest fan of "oppression olympics" or broad claims of bigotry on a vast scale, but when some Arab Christian women are gunned down in a church in Gaza by the Israeli military and multiple mosques in Gaza get blown up or otherwise destroyed, and when the West stood by as its private investor cash helped fund the removing of West Bank Arabs of their wealth for the advancing of a settler project that stood directly against local Arabs (all while the far poorer Palestinians can't get Western aid to defend themselves from freaking pogroms), there's reason to believe that fixating on Arab anti-Semitism and holding them to a test that we ourselves would very easily fail if we were put in their place, is not just not constructive, but misses the point and how power has shifted since the 1920s and 1930s, when it was Arab willingness to use violence against them that was, on net, the bigger problem.
Israel is an mini-imperial power, and while Arabs are far from completely blameless here, Smotrich and Ben Gvir and radical Zionism are in fact the biggest potential boosters of future anti-Semitism. How do you think Arabs feel when they see Israeli government officials playing around and defiling the Dome of the Rock?
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #5020 on: January 05, 2024, 12:21:47 PM »

Dude, you're South American. A significant fraction of your ancestors are the people who tortured, murdered and expelled Jews from the Iberian peninsula. Now you want to play the victim as some ****ed up way to legitimise hatred toward Jews again?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5021 on: January 05, 2024, 12:28:18 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2024, 12:32:37 PM by Horus »

Dude, you're South American. A significant fraction of your ancestors are the people who tortured, murdered and expelled Jews from the Iberian peninsula. Now you want to play the victim as some ****ed up way to legitimise hatred toward Jews again?

Why are you judging people by the possible actions of their ancestors over 500 years ago?

Having partial Spanish or Portuguese ancestry does not mean your ancestors killed Jews. Hell he probably has Sephardic ancestry too as do countless Latino people.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5022 on: January 05, 2024, 12:30:57 PM »

Why are you judging people by the possible actions of their ancestors over 500 years ago?

Pointing out a tankie's hypocrisy is not judging them by their ancestors' actions.
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #5023 on: January 05, 2024, 12:35:31 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2024, 12:39:01 PM by rc18 »

I'm not the one insinuating that supposed membership of an artificial racial grouping, "White", is an excuse to persecute people for what you claim their ancestors have done....

I'm pointing out that any supposed racial oppressor vs oppressed narrative doesn't stand up to actual historical scrutiny.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5024 on: January 05, 2024, 12:43:59 PM »

I'm not the one insinuating that supposed membership of an artificial racial grouping, "White", is an excuse to persecute people for what you claim their ancestors have done....

I'm pointing out that any supposed racial oppressor vs oppressed narrative doesn't stand up to actual historical scrutiny.

Who is being persecuted?
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 198 199 200 [201] 202 203 204 205 206 ... 315  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies