Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 01:55:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 200 201 202 203 204 [205] 206 207 208 209 210 ... 300
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 210920 times)
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5100 on: January 07, 2024, 01:33:39 PM »

And the Palestinians are hardly unique in not giving up their struggle for self-determination. How many people under colonial rule - because this is what Israel's rule in Palestine amounts to in practice - have given up the struggle for independence? So while one can certainly deplore Palestinian terrorism, it's preposterous to claim the Palestinians are somehow sick for not giving up their desire for self-determination.

Palestinians don’t have to give up their struggle for independence, they need to accept that they lost in 1948 and that they will not get that land back ever. If Palestinians limited their terrorism to West Bank settlers and soldiers only with the clear demand that “terrorism will only stop when you leave the West Bank” that would be one thing. But the Palestinian demand is that Israel stops existing. They need to accept that they lost in 1948 and this will not be corrected in any way. Imagine if the Algerians demanded not just that the French leave Algeria but that they also leave France. That is what Palestinians demand, and they use terrorism to pursue this fundamentally impossible goal.

Palestinians should be given Israeli citizenship as part of the amended Law of Return.

The whole point of Israel having a Jewish majority is so the country is a safe haven for Jews. If you let Palestinians become the majority, they will slaughter millions of Jews if Hamas’ behavior is any example so far. Now I know you don’t really care about what happens but a lot of people do.

Nakba is Israel's original sin.

It's time for Israel to atone by taking back the Palestinians.

If the Jewish "majority" is so afraid that the Palestinians would do to them what they are doing to the Palestinians right now, they should establish the rights of minorities right now in case they are ever in the minority.

We have nothing to atone for, and when it comes to who owes who what, your ledger with us will never be balanced and every pogrom brings Israel closer and closer to a government who may decide to call in that debt.

Who is we? Aren't you American?
Clearly, his allegiance lies elsewhere.

I mean, I'm not  going to assume that. I'd like to hear from Ray.

If there's one thing that the last three months have made clear, it's that our enemies will make no distinction when the time comes. When Israel fights back, they'll take the fight to diaspora Jews because they're soft targets.

Who are "they"?

Antisemites like Hamas, Iran, and their amen corner in the west terrorizing Jews and attempting to disrupt commerce and transit.

Once again, the best thing Biden could do for his election prospects is to find a group of these attackers who broke federal law and make an example of them. The JFK attackers who attempted to disrupt the airspace will do nicely.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5101 on: January 07, 2024, 01:36:03 PM »

And the Palestinians are hardly unique in not giving up their struggle for self-determination. How many people under colonial rule - because this is what Israel's rule in Palestine amounts to in practice - have given up the struggle for independence? So while one can certainly deplore Palestinian terrorism, it's preposterous to claim the Palestinians are somehow sick for not giving up their desire for self-determination.

Palestinians don’t have to give up their struggle for independence, they need to accept that they lost in 1948 and that they will not get that land back ever. If Palestinians limited their terrorism to West Bank settlers and soldiers only with the clear demand that “terrorism will only stop when you leave the West Bank” that would be one thing. But the Palestinian demand is that Israel stops existing. They need to accept that they lost in 1948 and this will not be corrected in any way. Imagine if the Algerians demanded not just that the French leave Algeria but that they also leave France. That is what Palestinians demand, and they use terrorism to pursue this fundamentally impossible goal.

Palestinians should be given Israeli citizenship as part of the amended Law of Return.

The whole point of Israel having a Jewish majority is so the country is a safe haven for Jews. If you let Palestinians become the majority, they will slaughter millions of Jews if Hamas’ behavior is any example so far. Now I know you don’t really care about what happens but a lot of people do.

If the Jewish "majority" is so afraid that the Palestinians would do to them what they are doing to the Palestinians right now, they should establish the rights of minorities right now in case they are ever in the minority.

We have nothing to atone for, and when it comes to who owes who what, your ledger with us will never be balanced and every pogrom brings Israel closer and closer to a government who may decide to call in that debt.

Presumably 'we' in this sense means 'political Zionists', which a majority of American voters are. 'We' stands for 'Israeli society going back several generations, plus foreign supporters who contributed to its success'. This includes virtually all Jews, of course, but it is broader and includes people who might support Israel for non-Jewish religious reasons (like evangelical Christians and Baha'i) or for cultural moral reasons, like center-left Americans.

The Israeli solution to this has been to institute an apartheid system inside the West Bank. Amazing how most Biden supporters on here seem to brush that aside.

The Gantz policy on the West Bank will likely be very different than the Netanyahu policy. The Gaza policy will not be, as the obliteration of Hamas is no longer a topic anyone to the right of Meretz will ever compromise on.

I do, incidentally, think of a Gantz West Bank policy as implying substantively different dynamics for ~The Conflict~ overall for this reason, even though he is oviously not going to stop pulverizing Gaza. A Palestine in which glorified homeowners' associations of ethnosupremacist extremists aren't given carte blanche to brutalize the helots is a substantively different and substantively better Palestine, and frankly if that Palestine can additionally have Hamas and Hamas-like ideologies permanently degraded (it probably can't at this point, but if it can) then that Palestine is better still.

One of the key ways in which Gantz's party was more moderate relative to earlier ones was by pledging not to halt new settlement construction, and including a list of settlements to be protected in a final peace deal which included quite obscure and remote ones. Also, like, while reversion to the mean is a thing support for settlements generally expanded quite a lot in most polling after 10/7, even among the Israeli far-left.

No Ben-Gvir as police minister is a change, but it's only bringing back the pre-2022 status quo; things like unilateral withdrawal are now pretty much off the table until there is some drastic change to Palestinian society. I don't think that change is coming until there is a huge shift in the attitudes of international organizations (like, I've called for UNRWA to be disbanded), and while I actually think that's a pretty reasonable thing to hope for over the next 20 years or so as the European far-right gains power and their ideas spread to other parts of society (...even if other consequences of this might not be so good), it is obviously something that hasn't happened yet, with the UN continuing to insist on a role for UNRWA after the Gaza War ends.

I cannot recall a single pppolitics post not related to I/P.

I remember his signature used to be a picture of Kevin McCarthy, Eric Cantor, and Paul Ryan taken in 2008, labeled "Rising Stars", presumably mocking them...except he seemed to miss that Ryan and McCarthy both became Speaker and Cantor was House Majority Leader, so the picture was obviously correct in identifying them as rising stars.

A lot of pppolitics' stuff has an undertone like this where he seems really confused about what victory is -- see his posts in this thread declaring that Hamas has won, even after all their allies turned their backs on them and their city has been mostly destroyed and mostly occupied with overwhelming international backing. I think he literally defines victory as something like "I personally now admire this group more" (and defeat as something like "I personally now admire this group less"). There's something deeply comical about a signature where a huge group of militants (or suspected militants) are stripped and taken captive right under a post which declares that that group of militants is winning.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5102 on: January 07, 2024, 02:17:39 PM »

I mean, I'm not  going to assume that. I'd like to hear from Ray.

If there's one thing that the last three months have made clear, it's that our enemies will make no distinction when the time comes. When Israel fights back, they'll take the fight to diaspora Jews because they're soft targets.

Pretty much everyone outside of the far right makes and knows the distinction.

Just very odd phrasing. I'm a strong supporter of Ukraine and know how important it is to hurt Russia as much as possible, but I'd never use "we" to refer to Ukraine's military actions. Says a lot about which country you would prioritize if relations were to ever break down between the US and Israel. And one day, maybe sooner than you think, that will happen.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5103 on: January 07, 2024, 02:34:40 PM »

Just very odd phrasing. I'm a strong supporter of Ukraine and know how important it is to hurt Russia as much as possible, but I'd never use "we" to refer to Ukraine's military actions. Says a lot about which country you would prioritize if relations were to ever break down between the US and Israel. And one day, maybe sooner than you think, that will happen.

You took the words right out of my mouth.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5104 on: January 07, 2024, 02:40:10 PM »

Man, you don't think I've had an escape plan in my mind as soon as I was aware of geopolitics? Every diaspora Jew is a loyal citizen of their country as long as they're allowed to be, and you might be surprised by how quickly things can go downhill on that front.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5105 on: January 07, 2024, 02:45:10 PM »

Man, you don't think I've had an escape plan in my mind as soon as I was aware of geopolitics? Every diaspora Jew is a loyal citizen of their country as long as they're allowed to be, and you might be surprised by how quickly things can go downhill on that front.

I don't see why you'd need an escape plan unless you think the country will be run by Groypers at some point in the future which is laughably unlikely. Most are pathetic neckbeards.

America is safer for Jews than Israel and I see no sign of that changing.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5106 on: January 07, 2024, 03:51:07 PM »

Pro-tip: If you don't want people to think you might be a self-hating Jew, maybe don't smear Jewish-Americans by falsely accusing them of being more loyal to Israel than America.  Your anti-Semitism is showing.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5107 on: January 07, 2024, 03:52:30 PM »

Pro-tip: If you don't want people to think you might be a self-hating Jew, maybe don't smear Jewish-Americans by falsely accusing them of being more loyal to Israel than America.  Your anti-Semitism is showing.

I don't see how such an accusation would be false here. If someone is using "we" to refer to Israeli military actions, that suggests they view themselves, at some level, as part of Israel.

Your tactics aren't working anymore.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5108 on: January 07, 2024, 03:57:39 PM »

Pro-tip: If you don't want people to think you might be a self-hating Jew, maybe don't smear Jewish-Americans by falsely accusing them of being more loyal to Israel than America.  Your anti-Semitism is showing.

I don't see how such an accusation would be false here. If someone is using "we" to refer to Israeli military actions, that suggests they view themselves, at some level, as part of Israel.

He was pretty clearly referring to the Jewish community as a whole. 
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5109 on: January 07, 2024, 03:59:19 PM »

The Jewish community as a whole is far from united when it comes to what Israel is doing. Especially younger, non orthodox American Jews and leftist Jews.

It was not clear at all.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5110 on: January 07, 2024, 04:03:12 PM »

The Jewish community as a whole is far from united when it comes to what Israel is doing. Especially younger, non orthodox American Jews and leftist Jews.

It was not clear at all.

He was saying that whatever mistakes or wrongs have been committed by the Jewish community, the ledger will never be balanced given all the centuries of anti-Semitic violence.  This isn't complicated.  The second part was that all the pograms and terrorism only push Israel toward a more extremist government.  Certainly there was nothing implying he had dual-loyalty.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5111 on: January 07, 2024, 04:08:38 PM »

Pro-tip: If you don't want people to think you might be a self-hating Jew, maybe don't smear Jewish-Americans by falsely accusing them of being more loyal to Israel than America.  Your anti-Semitism is showing.

It was not clear at all.

He was saying that whatever mistakes or wrongs have been committed by the Jewish community, the ledger will never be balanced given all the centuries of anti-Semitic violence.  This isn't complicated.  The second part was that all the pograms and terrorism only push Israel toward a more extremist government.  Certainly there was nothing implying he had dual-loyalty.

Israel does not represent the Jewish community as a whole.

Pppolitics - "Israel must atone."

Ray - "We have nothing to atone for."

So either Ray considers himself part of Israel, or he thinks Israel represents every Jew in the world.

You're telling me not to believe what's right in front of my eyes lol
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5112 on: January 07, 2024, 05:50:07 PM »

I don't see why you'd need an escape plan unless you think the country will be run by Groypers at some point in the future which is laughably unlikely. Most are pathetic neckbeards.

What he is saying is that should the United States ever require his service during the darkest of hours, he'll escape to Israel instead.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5113 on: January 07, 2024, 05:58:26 PM »

What he is saying is that should the United States ever require his service during the darkest of hours, he'll escape to Israel instead.

Yeah, I think everyone here can see you're a Nazi by now.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5114 on: January 07, 2024, 06:05:46 PM »

Yeah, I think everyone here can see you're a Nazi by now.

My allegiance is to the United States and only the United States.

Should my country require my sacrifice so that it may live, so be it.

I am not planning an escape to another country.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5115 on: January 07, 2024, 06:06:16 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2024, 06:15:01 PM by Senator Punxsutawney Phil »

Given the alarming noises of war with Lebanon that are coming out of Netanyahu's government, it's high time we weighed the merits of telling them they can't expect help against Hezbollah if they (they here being Netanyahu's government, to be entirely clear) escalate.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5116 on: January 07, 2024, 09:03:12 PM »

Dude, just admit that you want to see the entire Jewish community butchered like hogs.  It’s not like it isn’t already obvious that you’re only here to cheer the murder of Jewish civilians by genocidal terrorists.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5117 on: January 07, 2024, 09:29:03 PM »

Dude, just admit that you want to see the entire Jewish community butchered like hogs.  It’s not like it isn’t already obvious that you’re only here to cheer the murder of Jewish civilians by genocidal terrorists.

Don't put words in my mouth.

Ray seems to forget the "American" part of "Jewish American".

He should be "American" first and "Jewish" second.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5118 on: January 07, 2024, 09:36:02 PM »

No one has to put words in your mouth. You're dropping Nazi dogwhistles left and right.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #5119 on: January 07, 2024, 09:37:40 PM »

Biden should make clear to Netanyahu that we are not going to support some loony invasion of Lebanon. If any Israeli troops cross the border we should cut off all aid. I believe Israel does have a right to defend itself, even if I disagree with their exact methods. Invading Lebanon, giving carte blanche to psycho settlers in the West Bank, these are things we should not be supporting.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5120 on: January 07, 2024, 09:46:31 PM »

Dude, just admit that you want to see the entire Jewish community butchered like hogs.  It’s not like it isn’t already obvious that you’re only here to cheer the murder of Jewish civilians by genocidal terrorists.

No one has to put words in your mouth. You're dropping Nazi dogwhistles left and right.

Tell me, where does your allegiance lie, first and foremost?

United States or Israel?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5121 on: January 07, 2024, 09:47:48 PM »

Tell me, where does your allegiance lie, first and foremost?

United States or Israel?

Shouldn’t you be tying your red laces?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5122 on: January 07, 2024, 09:53:48 PM »

If I took a shot everytime disagreement emerged between pppolitics and a Zionist in this thread, I'd already have been a member of Alcohols Anonymous.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5123 on: January 07, 2024, 10:03:02 PM »

If I took a shot everytime disagreement emerged between pppolitics and a Zionist in this thread, I'd already have been a member of Alcohols Anonymous.

This has nothing to do with Zionism and everything to do with pppress being a fanatical anti-Semite
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5124 on: January 07, 2024, 10:08:48 PM »

This has nothing to do with Zionism and everything to do with pppress being a fanatical anti-Semite

Anti-semitism lost its meaning because Zionists started calling any criticism of Israel "anti-semitism".
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 202 203 204 [205] 206 207 208 209 210 ... 300  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies