Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:27:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 195 196 197 198 199 [200] 201 202 203 204 205 ... 300
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 210931 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4975 on: January 04, 2024, 02:26:26 PM »

Back in December, Netanyahu himself told President Biden and other U.S. officials that he wants to dump the Palestinians in Egypt

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/12/21/biden-netanyahu-dispute-palestinian-state/

Now, Netanyahu wants to dump the Palestinians in the Democratic Republic of Congo

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-in-talks-with-congo-and-other-countries-on-gaza-voluntary-migration-plan/

His ministers agree with such plans.

Bezalel Smotrich, Israel's Minister of Finance:

“What needs to be done in the Gaza Strip is to encourage emigration. If there are 100,000 or 200,000 Arabs in Gaza and not 2 million Arabs, the entire discussion on the day after will be totally different.”

Itamar Ben-Gvir, Israel's Minister of National Security:

“the migration of hundreds of thousands from Gaza will allow the residents of the enclave to return home and live in security and protect IDF soldiers.”

https://www.timesofisrael.com/ministers-call-for-resettling-gazas-palestinians-building-settlements-in-strip/
Exhibit A as to why Ben Gvir is an evil man.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4976 on: January 04, 2024, 02:34:48 PM »

Back in December, Netanyahu himself told President Biden and other U.S. officials that he wants to dump the Palestinians in Egypt

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/12/21/biden-netanyahu-dispute-palestinian-state/

Now, Netanyahu wants to dump the Palestinians in the Democratic Republic of Congo

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-in-talks-with-congo-and-other-countries-on-gaza-voluntary-migration-plan/

“What needs to be done in the Gaza Strip is to encourage emigration. If there are 100,000 or 200,000 Arabs in Gaza and not 2 million Arabs, the entire discussion on the day after will be totally different.”

“the migration of hundreds of thousands from Gaza will allow the residents of the enclave to return home and live in security and protect IDF soldiers.”

https://www.timesofisrael.com/ministers-call-for-resettling-gazas-palestinians-building-settlements-in-strip/

Ben Gvir is an epitome of Israel itself.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4977 on: January 04, 2024, 02:36:28 PM »

Not yet. Ask me again in fifteen or twenty years, the youth are worse on these issues than the olds are.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4978 on: January 04, 2024, 02:43:36 PM »

Not yet. Ask me again in fifteen or twenty years, the youth are worse on these issues than the olds are.

Ben Gvir isn't the disease.

Ben Gvir is a symptom of the disease.

As the disease progresses, the symptom will get worse and worse.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4979 on: January 04, 2024, 02:54:39 PM »

Not sure if this was already posted.

While support for the Palestinians is still quite low, only 39% of Americans say they side with Israel. Ukraine is still very popular.

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #4980 on: January 04, 2024, 02:56:26 PM »

While support for the Palestinian people is still quite low, only 39% of Americans say they side with Israel. Ukraine is still very popular.

And the 25% of Biden/Israel voters all have an account on this forum.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4981 on: January 04, 2024, 03:10:18 PM »

While support for the Palestinians is still quite low, only 39% of Americans say they side with Israel. Ukraine is still very popular.

I think its a good thing that a solid majority (55%) of Democrats either sympathize more with the Palestinians or equal. Another 20% unsure. For total Americans, its about 40% with 20% unsure

I think once Gen Z starts voting in mass and the American public gets fully educated on the issue, we might get a South Africa situation. Sanctions on Israel might no longer be taboo, to pressure for a two state solution.

No one can deny, the tide is turning when it comes to public opinion. Compare this poll to 10 years ago. Not even Vosem
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #4982 on: January 04, 2024, 03:12:00 PM »

I think its a good thing that a solid majority (55%) of Democrats either sympathize more with the Palestinians or equal. Another 20% unsure. For total Americans, its about 40% with 20% unsure

I think once Gen Z starts voting in mass and the American public gets fully educated on the issue, we might get a South Africa situation. Sanctions on Israel might no longer be taboo, to pressure for a two state solution.

No one can deny, the tide is turning when it comes to public opinion. Compare this poll to 10 years ago. Not even Vosem

Let's hope so, because based on the responses for this community generally, i don't have good hopes on it.

But i've said so before, i trust the average US Democrat more on this than the average forum user.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4983 on: January 04, 2024, 03:13:11 PM »

Let's hope so, because based on the responses for this community generally, i don't have good hopes on it.

But i've said, i trust the average US Democrat more on this than the average forum user.
This forum is really unrepresentative of the American public in some ways. Not to derail the thread, but trans issues is a big one
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4984 on: January 04, 2024, 03:18:49 PM »

But i've said, i trust the average US Democrat more on this than the average forum user.
This forum is really unrepresentative of the American public in some ways. Not to derail the thread, but trans issues is a big one

This place is 98% male, 90% white, 40% LGBT, probably 60% upper middle class and possibly more than a third neurodivergent. Unrepresentative is an understatement.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4985 on: January 04, 2024, 03:35:16 PM »

Ben Gvir isn't the disease.

Ben Gvir is a symptom of the disease.

As the disease progresses, the symptom will get worse and worse.
I agree he's more a symptom than a cause. But it portends awful things for Israel there's a substantial base that would vote for that. That's what we should be worried about the most here, long-term. Even more than for the people of Gaza. An Israel in the hands of insane, net-negative-value-as-human-being politicians will make the whole region more miserable, considerably.
Politicians in the region only care about their own tribe, mostly. We need to care about all the tribes, Muslim, Jewish, Christian, etc. NO ONE deserves this, we ought to focus on keeping things from getting out of control.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #4986 on: January 04, 2024, 07:33:06 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2024, 07:55:10 PM by Meclazine for Israel »

Still trying to figure out why New York Muslims tear down posters of kidnapped Israeli women and children.

Man Spits at Photographer

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1sp8SVLZP7/

It is the worst possible look for the Islamic community. It's just a rotten act performed by rotten minds.

They are either in denial that the kidnappings occurred or are sympathetic with Hamas.

Either way, It's gone global on the news and they look complicit with the vile actions committed on October 7.

In 1943-45, if people posted pictures from Auschwitz of the gas chambers, German citizens would not tear down the posters in New York.

The only part that pleases me is the average Americans' reaction to these nutcases and the subsequent cessation of their employment and education opportunities.

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4987 on: January 04, 2024, 07:44:25 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2024, 11:31:50 PM by Vosem »

I wonder how different those numbers would be if it were 'Israel' and 'Palestine', or 'the Russians' and 'the Ukrainians' -- that's asking slightly different versions of the same question.

(Also would not have counted on you posting a poll pointing out that more Biden voters sympathize with 'the Israelis' than 'the Palestinians'.)

Compared to 10 years ago it might well be more favorable for Israel -- the odd question is if you compare it to 5 years ago. Inasmuch as there's a peak it doesn't get reached until 2017/2018; prior to that for many decades, since at least the late 1980s and probably earlier, the trend was towards more support for Israel (in spite of really frequent news stories about Muh Occupation and Muh Apartheid). This is the obvious reason why Trump and Biden have been so much more visibly on Israel's side than past leaders; consider GWB's reacting to mainstream media sources making stuff up credulously, where Obama would have been cautious and Trump/Biden never critical.

My guess is broadly that more publicity for the Palestinian movement in the US will result in more sympathy for Israel (which has very much been the case in most of the world, especially European countries). As an inherently violent movement Palestinian liberationism cannot help but push away those whose inclinations might be to support it. (I think to some degree the backup is that support for Israel obviously rose in the 2010s among most American allies where it was previously fringey -- western Europe here kind of goes without saying -- so Israel could rely on other allies lobbying America, but I really doubt that'll be necessary. It remains the case that part of the challenge for Israel is that many of its closest allies are more extreme on "the Palestinian issue" than the Israeli mainstream: consider Austria and Czechia wanting to condition developing-world food aid on accepting Palestinian refugees.)

~~

Wait, also, what does "South Africa situation" even mean in the context of Israel/Palestine? Most of the people in the region are Israeli Jews. A fair vote would not mean the removal of a Jewish right of return, or the imposition of a Palestinian one. Extending Israeli civil law to the territories would mean mass arrests of individuals associated with terrorist groups, who are currently protected by Palestinian civil authorities, as would've been the case before 1988. It would mean the end of any sort of Palestinian nationalism, not just Palestinian liberationism.

Are you even sure that you understand what you're advocating for?
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4988 on: January 04, 2024, 09:59:13 PM »

Still trying to figure out why New York Muslims tear down posters of kidnapped Israeli women and children.

It is the worst possible look for the Islamic community. It's just a rotten act performed by rotten minds.

They are either in denial that the kidnappings occurred or are sympathetic with Hamas.

Either way, It's gone global on the news and they look complicit with the vile actions committed on October 7.

In 1943-45, if people posted pictures from Auschwitz of the gas chambers, German citizens would not tear down the posters in New York.

The only part that pleases me is the average Americans' reaction to these nutcases and the subsequent cessation of their employment and education opportunities.

Why are the posters in the United States?

Did someone expect these people to turn up in the United States?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4989 on: January 04, 2024, 10:09:36 PM »

Are you volunteering to put them up in Gaza?
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4990 on: January 04, 2024, 10:46:32 PM »

You first.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4991 on: January 04, 2024, 10:48:56 PM »

You first.

I'm fine with where they are, and I'm looking forward to accountability for the vile antisemites tearing them down.

BTW, Meclazine, it's not only or even primarily Muslims doing it. This seems to be organized within colleges and reflects radicalization more than anything.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #4992 on: January 04, 2024, 10:57:41 PM »

Love that you're leaving out the ugly part about that.

GenZ, for all the hype about being the first generation "immune to propaganda" is in fact the most indoctrinated out of any generation in the US ever. This isn't just because of TikTok, but demographics mean that these people will be in charge of our political system, universities, and corporations.

The people I grew up with don't deserve to be homeless because nobody will hire Jewish people. Their kids don't deserve to be rejected from colleges anyone else would get into because they are Jewish.

That's what America is headed towards.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4993 on: January 04, 2024, 11:05:20 PM »

GenZ, for all the hype about being the first generation "immune to propaganda" is in fact the most indoctrinated out of any generation in the US ever. This isn't just because of TikTok, but demographics mean that these people will be in charge of our political system, universities, and corporations.

The people I grew up with don't deserve to be homeless because nobody will hire Jewish people. Their kids don't deserve to be rejected from colleges anyone else would get into because they are Jewish.

No, we are not. Gen Z is the most welcoming and accepting generation in history. They were the first to turn on Kanye West for example.

I'm a 24 year old Muslim-American teacher. I teach in a poor area in the deep(ish) south. I am shocked how tolerant my students are compared to just 10 years ago and especially 20 years ago.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #4994 on: January 04, 2024, 11:08:16 PM »

No, we are not. Gen Z is the most welcoming and accepting generation in history. They were the first to turn on Kanye West for example.

I'm a 24 year old Muslim-American teacher. I teach in a poor area in the deep(ish) south. I am shocked how tolerant my students are compared to just 10 years ago and especially 20 years ago.

GenZ is much more tolerant than any other generations on things like LGBT rights, anti-racism, and other things. They are less tolerant on Jews, because we are associated with Zionism and they can't separate the two.

I doubt that would come up often in Tennessee, where Jews make up only 0.3% of the total population.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4995 on: January 04, 2024, 11:23:53 PM »

Well, there are people in the United States who are ignorant or hateful, and so do not support the Israeli bombing of Gaza. It would be good if they were reminded of the morally obligatory nature of this action whenever they turned their heads. As in other countries, Banquo's ghost will drive them mad, causing Palestinian liberationism as a whole to lose momentum and support.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4996 on: January 04, 2024, 11:29:13 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2024, 11:36:01 PM by pppolitics »

GenZ is much more tolerant than any other generations on things like LGBT rights, anti-racism, and other things. They are less tolerant on Jews, because we are associated with Zionism and they can't separate the two.

I doubt that would come up often in Tennessee, where Jews make up only 0.3% of the total population.

I haven't heard of any talk of Zionism or Israel until October 7.

It wasn't relevant or worth talking about.

It's like saying that my great-grandfather is from Ireland. No one cares.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4997 on: January 04, 2024, 11:33:16 PM »

Well, there are people in the United States who are ignorant or hateful, and so do not support the Israeli bombing of Gaza. It would be good if they were reminded of the morally obligatory nature of this action whenever they turned their heads. As in other countries, Banquo's ghost will drive them mad, causing Palestinian liberationism as a whole to lose momentum and support.

In other words, it has nothing to do with the hostages.

It's a political statement.

Got it.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4998 on: January 04, 2024, 11:40:20 PM »

In other words, it has nothing to do with the hostages.

It's a political statement.

Got it.

It has everything to do with the hostages. The hostages are the reason that Gaza must be bombed until Hamas agrees to carry out Israeli policies.

(Also, do you like my signature? It's inspired by yours! I think, before the war ends, many more Gazan combatants will need to strip to ensure that they are not suicide bombers. After all, perfidy is a very serious war crime, and Hamas members cannot be allowed to commit it.)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4999 on: January 04, 2024, 11:45:33 PM »

I haven't heard of any talk of Zionism or Israel until October 7.

It wasn't relevant or worth talking about.

It's like saying that my great-grandfather is from Ireland. No one cares.

Huh? At my university (Ohio State, one of the largest in the US), we had yearly votes on whether to divest from Israel, and the Zionists won by more every year. (At my high school, as I've detailed before, I complained to stop the creation of an Amnesty International chapter because the organization is a racist one, based mostly on its anti-Zionist stance. Maybe my high school cared an unusual amount -- we had a large number of recent Arab immigrants, and for that matter Palestinians.)

People have cared about this issue for a long time -- that's why we have polling going back to the 1980s, and we can see the slow triumph of Israel in public opinion over time.
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 197 198 199 [200] 201 202 203 204 205 ... 300  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies