NY: Trump on Trial!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 10:11:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NY: Trump on Trial!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 110
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: NY: Trump on Trial!  (Read 76669 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2023, 03:55:31 PM »

It's astonishing that two decades ago Republicans argued that lying about a blowjob was the epitome of lawlessness and now they are ready to burn the country for a guy who has broken half the United States code.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2023, 04:40:33 PM »

Meanwhile on Free Republic:

DeSantis *could* call out the Florida Militia and National Guard to protect President Trump. What would Biden’s choice be then? Civil war? China and Russia would then be free to dominate the world via their nuclear weapons.

Oh, honey.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2023, 04:58:49 PM »

Based!!!
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2023, 05:22:47 PM »

But I don’t think Nixon should have been charged over watergate, Clinton over Perjury or Bush over Iraq/Gitmo

Sweet Christmas OSR. So just no rules for presidents? But rules for other politicians? (ostensibly)

This country truly does deify POTUS. Absolutely atrocious. The president is just another person who won an election. If they break the law, treat them like anyone else would be.

I’m just going if precedent of what we have pretty much always done and I gave 3 examples of where we decided not to prosecute a president even though there was a case to be made that you could have . Keep in mind I do think Trump should be prosecuted but over Jan 6th and the fake electoral scheme in GA.

Like people forget that Obama made this decision in 2009:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/aide-obama-wont-prosecute-bush-officials/

It  was the right decision imo

The President should not be above the law. They should be held to the same standard as anyone else.

The President should not be above the law. They should be held to the same standard as anyone else.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2023, 05:24:18 PM »

But I don’t think Nixon should have been charged over watergate, Clinton over Perjury or Bush over Iraq/Gitmo

Sweet Christmas OSR. So just no rules for presidents? But rules for other politicians? (ostensibly)

This country truly does deify POTUS. Absolutely atrocious. The president is just another person who won an election. If they break the law, treat them like anyone else would be.

I’m just going if precedent of what we have pretty much always done and I gave 3 examples of where we decided not to prosecute a president even though there was a case to be made that you could have . Keep in mind I do think Trump should be prosecuted but over Jan 6th and the fake electoral scheme in GA.

It  was the right decision imo

Yeah it’s not as simple as that . It’s easy to say this but reality is different than theory .

You know who agrees with me on this , Barack Obama
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2023, 05:27:49 PM »

If what I hear is true about the potential weakness of the legal case, then I have concern for what will happen if they do arrest him. I don't want Trump being able to (truthfully) claim victimhood.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2023, 05:28:57 PM »

Yeah it’s not as simple as that . It’s easy to say this but reality is different than theory

No it is as simple as that. The line must be drawn somewhere. Anything else is an exercise in appeasement which inevitably will lead to precedents being abused and will erode our democracy and institutions. Just as Trump himself abused the precedent set by Nixon's "If the president does it, that means it is not illegal" which Ford tacitly conceded. It's time to put an end to the "unitary executive" fascist nonsense and reclaim our republic. I don't care if it starts a Civil War. Trump and his movement NEEDS to go down one way or the other, be it the easy way or the hard way. And the longer you wait and wimp out and let him get away with it, the harder it will be in the long run to draw the line when it really is too late and the easier it will be for future fascists to take over this country.

Learn from history. Never appease. Never surrender.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2023, 05:30:44 PM »

Aren't you the one who keeps saying Obama appeased Putin too much? Maybe you had a point. Obama is too "No Drama" for his own good, and frankly always has been. He basically abandoned everyone when we needed him the most, when he could have been the rallying point for the "resistance" against Trump. I no longer give much of a f--k what Obama says. He represents a different, more naive time.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2023, 05:36:36 PM »

Aren't you the one who keeps saying Obama appeased Putin too much? Maybe you had a point. Obama is too "No Drama" for his own good, and frankly always has been. He basically abandoned everyone when we needed him the most, when he could have been the rallying point for the "resistance" against Trump. I no longer give much of a f--k what Obama says. He represents a different, more naive time.
Obama was ALWAYS responsible when it came to how he handled Trump. Always.
And I hope history rewards him for it.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2023, 05:38:26 PM »

If You are gonna are arrest Trump over this , the same logic is that Clinton should have been arrested over perjuring himself . Similarly if you prosecuted Bush and Cheney over Iraq or Gitmo you would open the door to many presidents being prosecuted over foreign policy actions which in turn would greatly hamper the effectiveness of our foreign policy .

These types of actions set precedent for the future and that’s why caution must be taken
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2023, 05:41:25 PM »

Obama was ALWAYS responsible when it came to how he handled Trump. Always.
And I hope history rewards him for it.

Obama is arguably responsible for Trump becoming president in the first place. It's not a great reflection on a two term president when his handpicked successor fails to win. And yeah both Obama and Clinton's successors came very close, but it ultimately wasn't enough to cut it despite their own high approval ratings. (At least Clinton can argue Gore was genuinely cheated.) Hillary had to defend Obama's record and apparently states that had once voted for Obama by double digits weren't convinced, and he didn't help enough to make a difference. Nor did he do enough to highlight just how abnormal and unprecedented and authoritarian Trump was, during or after his presidency; I can probably count on one hand the number of times he has referred to the motherf--ker by name. The Obamas went the "Go high" route and the nation has suffered as a result. I reject the notion that this route was either the right or pragmatic thing to do.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2023, 05:43:57 PM »

If You are gonna are arrest Trump over this , the same logic is that Clinton should have been arrested over perjuring himself . Similarly if you prosecuted Bush and Cheney over Iraq or Gitmo you would open the door to many presidents being prosecuted over foreign policy actions which in turn would greatly hamper the effectiveness of our foreign policy .

These types of actions set precedent for the future and that’s why caution must be taken

I could go through and dismantle each and every one of these "whataboutisms" bit by bit to point out just how ridiculous they are, but that would be giving far too much credit to "logic" that would put a Russian propagandist to shame.

Just absolutely disgraceful.

These types of actions absolutely DO set precedent for the future, on that we can agree, and that's why we MUST do the right thing. Other countries have arrested and imprisoned former heads of government. States in this country have arrested and imprisoned governors. And they haven't fallen apart. Trump is not above the law or the rest of the world, despite the impression that his thug mobster life might give one. It's time that reality FINALLY hits this monster in the face. Period.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2023, 05:46:22 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2023, 05:53:16 PM by Devout Centrist »

I don't believe people realize what will happen if Trump gets arrested.  A lot of his supporters feel they have nothing to lose.  Plus, Trump himself is going to fuel the fire.  This is going to get very ugly....  
They actually have quite a bit to lose, as much of his base is petit bourgeois (small business owner) or else middle class. There is no reason to think these people will form an armed insurgency or terrorist cells, come now.

Having gone down to protests in the aftermath of 2020, I can tell you I was never seriously worried about these folks going postal. Even January 6th was simply a colossal failure on the part of law enforcement rather than a case of people being backed into a corner and unleashing mass devastation.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2023, 05:46:45 PM »

I could go through and dismantle each and every one of these "whataboutisms" bit by bit to point out just how ridiculous they are, but that would be giving far too much credit to "logic" that would put a Russian propagandist to shame.

These types of actions absolutely DO set precedent for the future, on that we can agree, and that's why we MUST do the right thing. Other countries have arrested and imprisoned former heads of government. States in this country have arrested and imprisoned governors. And they haven't fallen apart. Trump is not above the law or the rest of the world, despite the impression that his thug mobster life might give one. It's time that reality FINALLY hits this monster in the face. Period.

Then charge him for Jan 6th or the fake electoral vote thing in GA . I would agree with the fact he should be prosecuted over that .

Just not this
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2023, 05:50:23 PM »

Cause you don’t want to set a precedent where each administration tries to go after the other because the fact is presidents operate under legally grey areas all the time when it comes to foreign policy . Do you really want to open that can of worms .
Yes? Perhaps then we won't have another Iraq War or Gulf of Tonkin Incident!
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2023, 05:52:34 PM »

Then charge him for Jan 6th or the fake electoral vote thing in GA . I would agree with the fact he should be prosecuted over that .

Just not this

I hope he's prosecuted for those too, but here's the thing on 1/6: He was impeached for that, but because of the cowardice of your party and one Mitch McConnell, was not convicted. Just like Clinton on the perjury thing, he WAS indicted, tried, and found not guilty. I could almost see a double jeopardy argument against trying a president for the same thing he was impeached and acquitted for; it might be less likely to stick. Just like Al Capone with his taxes, sometimes it's the little things that stick the most and really bury you.

Point is, if a crime was committed and it's serious enough and committed by a person in power, that should be MORE reason to indict if anything, not less. We should if anything hold our elected officials to HIGHER standards than just average Joes on the street. Your logic is totally backwards to me. You wouldn't stand up for anyone else doing this in the same situation, but you argue against indicting Trump. What crime is not too small then? How subjective do you expect our prosecutors to get? They should go with what they have the best evidence for, not how serious the charge is. Again, just like Al Capone.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2023, 05:55:56 PM »

Cause you don’t want to set a precedent where each administration tries to go after the other because the fact is presidents operate under legally grey areas all the time when it comes to foreign policy . Do you really want to open that can of worms .
Yes? Perhaps then we won't have another Iraq War or Gulf of Tonkin Incident!
Neither the Iraq War nor the Gulf of Tonkin Incident was a crime. Lying by itself is not a crime, and nor is misleading the public.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2023, 06:00:36 PM »

Just not this

Please do remember, if and when Trump is charged over either of those events, that you have stipulated he should be prosecuted for them.  If you subsequently argue that he shouldn't be prosecuted "for the good of the country" or any other reason, this post WILL come back to haunt you.  I am screenshotting it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2023, 06:02:18 PM »

Yeah it’s not as simple as that . It’s easy to say this but reality is different than theory .

DOES NOT COMPUTE!

DOES NOT COMPUTE!

DOES NOT COMPUTE!

DOES NOT COMPUTE!

DOES NOT COMPUTE!

Etc. Ad infinitum.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2023, 06:07:50 PM »

ok this is something i am confused about if u guys who keep up with all the scandals might be able to help with:

i thought he was in trouble bcuz the secret docs found at his home or january 6 stuff, but it looks like this is about something from back early in his presidency, or before? like i remember this scandal from years ago

did something change with it? like stormy daniels and all that, like what is making them indict trump over that and not the secret docs or the january 6 stuff?

Maybe it's the woman involved in the furniture shopping when he said "I Moved On Her Like A Bitch"

Access Hollywood Tape

https://youtu.be/fYqKx1GuZGg
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2023, 06:17:18 PM »

Just not this

Please do remember, if and when Trump is charged over either of those events, that you have stipulated he should be prosecuted for them.  If you subsequently argue that he shouldn't be prosecuted "for the good of the country" or any other reason, this post WILL come back to haunt you.  I am screenshotting it.

Let’s make a deal : If I go back on this, you can give me a 24-48 day hour mute . I am very confident that I won’t so I’m willing to make this deal
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2023, 06:19:30 PM »

PATRIOTS IN CONTROL
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2023, 06:39:54 PM »

Good point here:

BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2023, 06:44:51 PM »

Biden needs to be very careful how he speaks about this.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2023, 06:45:48 PM »

Biden needs to be very careful how he speaks about this.

"This is a New York State matter.  The federal government is not involved in this investigation or indictment."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 110  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies