NY Grand Jury Votes to Indict Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:01:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NY Grand Jury Votes to Indict Trump
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 81
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: NY Grand Jury Votes to Indict Trump  (Read 56942 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2023, 09:54:58 PM »

This is Manhattan DA, not the feds. The feds declined to prosecute for this because he was President and decided not to resurrect the case when he left office. Bragg is prosecuting this now because the statute of limitations runs out this year. He's still working on a larger case regarding things like tax fraud and bank fraud, stuff the AG filed the civil suit over. But we don't know if that will lead to any charges.

Didn’t some prosecutors resign from his office because he wasn’t moving forward with the fraud case? I wonder why he’s going forward with this but not that.

That's possible yeah. His story is that they never closed it (true) and have been investigating it all along.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2023, 10:01:14 PM »

Makes sense considering that Trump put out a statement saying that prosecutors are investigating them because they are racist. That sort of talk can really stir up white supremacists and neo-nazis.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2023, 12:08:02 AM »

Time to see whether Americans who constantly say "no one is above the law" actually believe that.

Frankly I'm more interested in hearing from people like OSR who empathically believe that the president should be above the law.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2023, 01:02:40 AM »

This is a politically motivated witch-hunt

Considering you've never posted a single thing worth merit, why I haven't put you on ignore before this more moment is beyond me. Bye now!
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2023, 01:10:41 AM »

This thinking won Hillary the primary and lost her the general in 2016, much like it will for Trump in 2024.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2023, 07:12:05 AM »

Trump 2024 or bust.
If Trump is arrested, that basically makes the party go full MAGA. This is bigger than impeachment, anyone who doesn't call this out and vociferously defend Trump WILL be primaried.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2023, 07:46:33 AM »
« Edited: March 18, 2023, 07:49:55 AM by Miscellaneous Top Secret Crumpets »

Who would have thought after all this time it was the Stormy Daniels affair of all possible scandals that would come back to bite him.

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2023, 07:51:38 AM »

If so, then so far it's found a broom, a cauldron, and a gingerbread house.
RFK 2024
BasedSanta
Canada

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2023, 07:53:05 AM »

I don't believe people realize what will happen if Trump gets arrested.  A lot of his supporters feel they have nothing to lose.  Plus, Trump himself is going to fuel the fire.  This is going to get very ugly....  
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2023, 07:58:00 AM »

I don't believe people realize what will happen if Trump gets arrested.  A lot of his supporters feel they have nothing to lose.  Plus, Trump himself is going to fuel the fire.  This is going to get very ugly.... 

I agree. So while we're still in the phase where we can make jokes, personally I think the NYPD should hold a press conference, if they do arrest Trump, thanking DeSantis for his cooperation in allowing Trump to be handed over to New York.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2023, 08:10:36 AM »

I don't believe people realize what will happen if Trump gets arrested.  A lot of his supporters feel they have nothing to lose.  Plus, Trump himself is going to fuel the fire.  This is going to get very ugly....  
True but we can’t let Trump or his supporters use violence or the threat of it to make themselves above the law
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2023, 11:15:29 AM »

True but we can’t let Trump or his supporters use violence or the threat of it to make themselves above the law

Exactly. After all, that's how Mussolini came to power.
RFK 2024
BasedSanta
Canada

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2023, 11:24:14 AM »

I agree in a sense with what you're saying.  Lincoln could have backed down and allowed the South to secede in 1861, but he pressed on the issue and despite all the carnage it caused and initial unpopularity he's now regarded as one of the best presidents of all time.  That said, I don't think Trump poses the same risk that multiple states literally leaving the union and forming their own country did.  He's a 76 year old man, and I don't think he's going to be relevant for much longer.  There's also the risk of this move backfiring spectacularly - Trump gains popularity after he's found innocent, and the normalization of political opponents being arrested for stupid BS like this Stormy Daniels trial (Jan 6 would be one thing).  Overall, I think this is a very bad idea. It's equivalent to pouring gasoline on a dying fire, and it sets very bad precedent for future events.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2023, 11:26:32 AM »

I don't believe people realize what will happen if Trump gets arrested.  A lot of his supporters feel they have nothing to lose.  Plus, Trump himself is going to fuel the fire.  This is going to get very ugly....  

You have to pick and choose your battles though. Arresting Trump on Jan 6th makes perfect sense , but arresting Trump on this isn’t worth the damage it would do to the country . Like should Clinton have been arrested for perjuring himself , and the answer to that question is also no .

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2023, 11:29:00 AM »

You have to pick and choose your battles though. Arresting Trump on Jan 6th makes perfect sense , but arresting Trump on this isn’t worth the damage it would do to the country .

No, you don't.  The law applies to everyone equally, or there is no law.  The kind of accommodation you're proposing is banana republic stuff.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2023, 11:30:33 AM »

You have to pick and choose your battles though. Arresting Trump on Jan 6th makes perfect sense , but arresting Trump on this isn’t worth the damage it would do to the country .

No, you don't.  The law applies to everyone equally, or there is no law.  The kind of accommodation you're proposing is banana republic stuff.

Should Clinton have been arrested for perjuring himself about Monica . The answer is no and that was the consensus at the time too .

It’s not banana republic but what the consensus has been in this nation for a long while
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2023, 11:30:51 AM »

I don't believe people realize what will happen if Trump gets arrested.  A lot of his supporters feel they have nothing to lose.  Plus, Trump himself is going to fuel the fire.  This is going to get very ugly....  

I agree. So while we're still in the phase where we can make jokes, personally I think the NYPD should hold a press conference, if they do arrest Trump, thanking DeSantis for his cooperation in allowing Trump to be handed over to New York.

BTW Trump's lawyer did say if he is indicted he will surrender to authorities, so DeSantis probably won't have to do anything. Trump can just show up in NY to be booked and avoid the perp walk.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2023, 11:32:48 AM »

The political side of me is actually rooting for Trump’s indictment because it’ll hopefully clear a path for DeSantis.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2023, 11:39:59 AM »

All the closet fascist nerds who obsess over charisma black hole DeSantis don't get that Americans perceive his policies as more crazy than Trump and that the majority of GOP voters aren't as nerdy as them and have the balls to support Trump.
RFK 2024
BasedSanta
Canada

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2023, 12:00:38 PM »

The political side of me is actually rooting for Trump’s indictment because it’ll hopefully clear a path for DeSantis.
I have a feeling an indictment will probably benefit Trump, as he'll use it as proof that the establishment has it in for his 2024 campaign.  It will feed well into his platform.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2023, 12:00:54 PM »

All the closet fascist nerds who obsess over charisma black hole DeSantis don't get that Americans perceive his policies as more crazy than Trump and that the majority of GOP voters aren't as nerdy as them and have the balls to support Trump.

DeSantis won Florida by 16 points more than Trump did and won it by 3 more than Rubio !
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2023, 12:21:40 PM »

I have a feeling an indictment will probably benefit Trump, as he'll use it as proof that the establishment has it in for his 2024 campaign.  It will feed well into his platform.

The more logical side of me agrees that it'll help Trump in the primary, but hurt him in the general. That is why Democrats are going after him.

It'll harden the die hards, definitely, but will it convert swing voters? Will he be able to peel off DeSantis's base voters? That's the big question.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2023, 12:57:20 PM »

You could probably do a better job hiding the fact that you’re rooting for this to happen.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2023, 01:01:45 PM »

It got very ugly a long time ago, and it's going to keep getting worse unless our country proves it is willing and able to bring the rule of law to those who would destroy it.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2023, 01:02:16 PM »

You could probably do a better job hiding the fact that you’re rooting for this to happen.

It doesn’t change the fact that this would be breaking with precedent to charge a president(current or former) over something like this . We correctly didn’t charge Clinton over Perjury and Trump shoudnt be charged over this .

There are only two instances a president should have been charged post ww2 :

Nixon - If the Sabotage of the Vietnam Peace talks came out

Trump - Jan 6th

Both instances were a president or presidential candidate flagrantly violating the national security of our nation for their own political interest

But I don’t think Nixon should have been charged over watergate, Clinton over Perjury or Bush over Iraq/Gitmo
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 81  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies