NY: Trump on Trial! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:59:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NY: Trump on Trial! (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: NY: Trump on Trial!  (Read 62119 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« on: March 18, 2023, 11:26:32 AM »

I don't believe people realize what will happen if Trump gets arrested.  A lot of his supporters feel they have nothing to lose.  Plus, Trump himself is going to fuel the fire.  This is going to get very ugly....  
True but we can’t let Trump or his supporters use violence or the threat of it to make themselves above the law

You have to pick and choose your battles though. Arresting Trump on Jan 6th makes perfect sense , but arresting Trump on this isn’t worth the damage it would do to the country . Like should Clinton have been arrested for perjuring himself , and the answer to that question is also no .

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 11:30:33 AM »

I don't believe people realize what will happen if Trump gets arrested.  A lot of his supporters feel they have nothing to lose.  Plus, Trump himself is going to fuel the fire.  This is going to get very ugly....  
True but we can’t let Trump or his supporters use violence or the threat of it to make themselves above the law

You have to pick and choose your battles though. Arresting Trump on Jan 6th makes perfect sense , but arresting Trump on this isn’t worth the damage it would do to the country .

No, you don't.  The law applies to everyone equally, or there is no law.  The kind of accommodation you're proposing is banana republic stuff.

Should Clinton have been arrested for perjuring himself about Monica . The answer is no and that was the consensus at the time too .

It’s not banana republic but what the consensus has been in this nation for a long while
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 12:00:54 PM »

All the closet fascist nerds who obsess over charisma black hole DeSantis don't get that Americans perceive his policies as more crazy than Trump and that the majority of GOP voters aren't as nerdy as them and have the balls to support Trump.

DeSantis won Florida by 16 points more than Trump did and won it by 3 more than Rubio !
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 01:02:16 PM »

I don't believe people realize what will happen if Trump gets arrested.  A lot of his supporters feel they have nothing to lose.  Plus, Trump himself is going to fuel the fire.  This is going to get very ugly....  

You could probably do a better job hiding the fact that you’re rooting for this to happen.

It doesn’t change the fact that this would be breaking with precedent to charge a president(current or former) over something like this . We correctly didn’t charge Clinton over Perjury and Trump shoudnt be charged over this .

There are only two instances a president should have been charged post ww2 :

Nixon - If the Sabotage of the Vietnam Peace talks came out

Trump - Jan 6th

Both instances were a president or presidential candidate flagrantly violating the national security of our nation for their own political interest

But I don’t think Nixon should have been charged over watergate, Clinton over Perjury or Bush over Iraq/Gitmo
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 01:31:04 PM »

You could probably do a better job hiding the fact that you’re rooting for this to happen.

It doesn’t change the fact that this would be breaking with precedent to charge a president(current or former) over something like this . We correctly didn’t charge Clinton over Perjury and Trump shoudnt be charged over this .

Trump - Jan 6th

Both instances were a president or presidential candidate flagrantly violating the national security of our nation for their own political interest

But I don’t think Nixon should have been charged over watergate, Clinton over Perjury or Bush over Iraq/Gitmo

Genuinely would like to know how you think Watergate isn't a violation of this standard.

Did watergate threaten the national security of our nation ?

His sabotage of the peace deal did because 1. Led to tens of thousands more of our troops dying

And Trump’s Jan 6th was an illegal attempt to overturn a free and fair election and led to the Capitol attack
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 01:37:42 PM »

Also how sad is it that not a single person here is arguing that Trump isn't guilty. All of the "don't indict" arguments are just people worried that his reaction will be so bad that he will incite terrorism. Like how far have we fallen as a nation?

Seriously, one of the biggest grievances that people all around the world have is that politicians seem to be able to do whatever they want and rarely have to face legal consequences. The fact that a possible Trump indictment produces such terror and arguments about "precedent" or some such bullcrap is pretty messed up.

Cause you don’t want to set a precedent where each administration tries to go after the other because the fact is presidents operate under legally grey areas all the time when it comes to foreign policy . Do you really want to open that can of worms .

It’s why it should only be done in extremely flagrant cases like the two I mentioned
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2023, 01:40:44 PM »

Trump - Jan 6th

Genuinely would like to know how you think Watergate isn't a violation of this standard.

Did watergate threaten the national security of our nation ?

His sabotage of the peace deal did because 1. Led to tens of thousands more of our troops dying

And Trump’s Jan 6th was an illegal attempt to overturn a free and fair election and led to the Capitol attack
So now you get to wash your hands after years of supporting him. Good for you!

I did not vote for Trump (I wrote in Kasich ) so what you are saying is literally false . Honestly this just tells me you never actually read my posts because I probably am one of the  most prominent blue avatar on here if not most who did not vote for him.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2023, 01:50:17 PM »

Also how sad is it that not a single person here is arguing that Trump isn't guilty. All of the "don't indict" arguments are just people worried that his reaction will be so bad that he will incite terrorism. Like how far have we fallen as a nation?

Seriously, one of the biggest grievances that people all around the world have is that politicians seem to be able to do whatever they want and rarely have to face legal consequences. The fact that a possible Trump indictment produces such terror and arguments about "precedent" or some such bullcrap is pretty messed up.

Cause you don’t want to set a precedent where each administration tries to go after the other because the fact is presidents operate under legally grey areas all the time when it comes to foreign policy . Do you really want to open that can of worms .

It’s why it should only be done in extremely flagrant cases like the two I mentioned

This is honestly more pathetic than just straight-up defending Trump.

That’s how we have done things for decades , otherwise both Clinton and Bush would have been prosecuted after they left office .

Thank god that they weren’t
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2023, 01:54:59 PM »

This is honestly more pathetic than just straight-up defending Trump.

That’s how we have done things for decades , otherwise both Clinton and Bush would have been prosecuted after they left office .

Thank god that they weren’t

Why do you want presidents to be held to a higher standard than the average person?

If you think they should only be prosecuted if their actions threaten national security, then you are necessarily saying that a president could strangle his wife in her sleep, and he shouldn't be prosecuted. That is the logical conclusion of your beliefs.

1. Cause presidents operate on legal Grey areas all the time when it comes to foreign policy and I generally have been in support of our foreign policy

2. Ok that’s another exception to this standard
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2023, 01:58:24 PM »

It's a good precedent to indict a former president who has provably committed a crime, let alone one who tried to use a mob to install himself as dictator. America survives if we're equal under the law.

If his fans start rioting, targeting politicians, blowing up our power grid, that doesn't change that justice is always the right decision. It'll be awful, but we'll have to safeguard our country from the demands of criminals. If he gets off and screams "TOTAL VINDICATION" (which he will do either way), then at least we'll have shown we strive for equality under the law.

Charge him for Jan 6th then or the GA Fake Electors stuff
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2023, 03:12:08 PM »

Sweet Christmas OSR. So just no rules for presidents? But rules for other politicians? (ostensibly)

This country truly does deify POTUS. Absolutely atrocious. The president is just another person who won an election. If they break the law, treat them like anyone else would be.

I’m just going if precedent of what we have pretty much always done and I gave 3 examples of where we decided not to prosecute a president even though there was a case to be made that you could have . Keep in mind I do think Trump should be prosecuted but over Jan 6th and the fake electoral scheme in GA.

Like people forget that Obama made this decision in 2009:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/aide-obama-wont-prosecute-bush-officials/

It  was the right decision imo
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2023, 05:24:18 PM »

Sweet Christmas OSR. So just no rules for presidents? But rules for other politicians? (ostensibly)

This country truly does deify POTUS. Absolutely atrocious. The president is just another person who won an election. If they break the law, treat them like anyone else would be.

I’m just going if precedent of what we have pretty much always done and I gave 3 examples of where we decided not to prosecute a president even though there was a case to be made that you could have . Keep in mind I do think Trump should be prosecuted but over Jan 6th and the fake electoral scheme in GA.

Like people forget that Obama made this decision in 2009:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/aide-obama-wont-prosecute-bush-officials/

It  was the right decision imo

The President should not be above the law. They should be held to the same standard as anyone else.

The President should not be above the law. They should be held to the same standard as anyone else.

Yeah it’s not as simple as that . It’s easy to say this but reality is different than theory .

You know who agrees with me on this , Barack Obama
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2023, 05:38:26 PM »

Aren't you the one who keeps saying Obama appeased Putin too much? Maybe you had a point. Obama is too "No Drama" for his own good, and frankly always has been. He basically abandoned everyone when we needed him the most, when he could have been the rallying point for the "resistance" against Trump. I no longer give much of a f--k what Obama says. He represents a different, more naive time.

If You are gonna are arrest Trump over this , the same logic is that Clinton should have been arrested over perjuring himself . Similarly if you prosecuted Bush and Cheney over Iraq or Gitmo you would open the door to many presidents being prosecuted over foreign policy actions which in turn would greatly hamper the effectiveness of our foreign policy .

These types of actions set precedent for the future and that’s why caution must be taken
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2023, 05:46:45 PM »

Aren't you the one who keeps saying Obama appeased Putin too much? Maybe you had a point. Obama is too "No Drama" for his own good, and frankly always has been. He basically abandoned everyone when we needed him the most, when he could have been the rallying point for the "resistance" against Trump. I no longer give much of a f--k what Obama says. He represents a different, more naive time.

If You are gonna are arrest Trump over this , the same logic is that Clinton should have been arrested over perjuring himself . Similarly if you prosecuted Bush and Cheney over Iraq or Gitmo you would open the door to many presidents being prosecuted over foreign policy actions which in turn would greatly hamper the effectiveness of our foreign policy .

These types of actions set precedent for the future and that’s why caution must be taken

I could go through and dismantle each and every one of these "whataboutisms" bit by bit to point out just how ridiculous they are, but that would be giving far too much credit to "logic" that would put a Russian propagandist to shame.

Just absolutely disgraceful.

These types of actions absolutely DO set precedent for the future, on that we can agree, and that's why we MUST do the right thing. Other countries have arrested and imprisoned former heads of government. States in this country have arrested and imprisoned governors. And they haven't fallen apart. Trump is not above the law or the rest of the world, despite the impression that his thug mobster life might give one. It's time that reality FINALLY hits this monster in the face. Period.

Then charge him for Jan 6th or the fake electoral vote thing in GA . I would agree with the fact he should be prosecuted over that .

Just not this
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2023, 06:17:18 PM »

I could go through and dismantle each and every one of these "whataboutisms" bit by bit to point out just how ridiculous they are, but that would be giving far too much credit to "logic" that would put a Russian propagandist to shame.

Just absolutely disgraceful.

These types of actions absolutely DO set precedent for the future, on that we can agree, and that's why we MUST do the right thing. Other countries have arrested and imprisoned former heads of government. States in this country have arrested and imprisoned governors. And they haven't fallen apart. Trump is not above the law or the rest of the world, despite the impression that his thug mobster life might give one. It's time that reality FINALLY hits this monster in the face. Period.

Then charge him for Jan 6th or the fake electoral vote thing in GA . I would agree with the fact he should be prosecuted over that .

Just not this

Please do remember, if and when Trump is charged over either of those events, that you have stipulated he should be prosecuted for them.  If you subsequently argue that he shouldn't be prosecuted "for the good of the country" or any other reason, this post WILL come back to haunt you.  I am screenshotting it.

Let’s make a deal : If I go back on this, you can give me a 24-48 day hour mute . I am very confident that I won’t so I’m willing to make this deal
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2023, 08:02:41 PM »

Yeah it’s not as simple as that . It’s easy to say this but reality is different than theory .

Obama was wrong.

I disagree as arresting Bush and Cheney would have not been good for our nation .

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2023, 01:14:22 AM »

Obama was wrong.

I disagree as arresting Bush and Cheney would have not been good for our nation .

Do you think Ford was right to pardon Nixon?

With Hindsight Yes. It's clear his decision to pardon Nixon helped us move on from Nixon faster
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2023, 10:48:56 AM »

Yeah I don't know where he got Tuesday from anyway. They will probably give him a couple of days to surrender himself in NY.

I'd be really surprised if he turned himself in, despite what he says he'd love nothing more than a picture of himself in cuffs, so he can really sell the "martyr" angle.

While you're right that getting arrested on camera would help him sell his claims of martyrdom, I don't know if he can actually accept being arrested. As a technically legal matter, where he's surrenders, is arrested and immediately released, yeah, I can see him (barely) tolerating that as one more step in the legal dance he's spent his life doing.

But actually getting perp walked gets awfully close to facing consequences for his actions - something he never willingly does. I think there's a non-zero chance that he fights the arrest: demanding DeSantis protect him, holing up in Mar-a-lago (like a cult leader in his compound...), or even going on the run to someplace he thinks won't extradite him. (Although short of Russia, Florida is about as safe as he can be... IF DeSantis will protect him.)

DeSantis literally can’t protect him given the DOJ has jurisdiction over the entire country and they would extradite Trump to NY .

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2023, 01:15:09 PM »

If this is true then this would be a massive own goal
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2023, 01:37:16 PM »

>Fox News
Genetic Fallacy

Fox News has literally zero credibility. Get another source.

MSNBC is just as inaccurate so please don’t play this game .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2023, 01:57:44 PM »

>Fox News
Genetic Fallacy

"
Fox News won a court case by 'persuasively' arguing that no 'reasonable viewer' takes Tucker Carlson seriously
"

Why is it always projection with Republicans?

Their opinion hosts aren’t the same as their news hosts . There is a difference and yes we should know what is being referred to in that tweet
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2023, 02:11:12 PM »

>Fox News
Genetic Fallacy

"
Fox News won a court case by 'persuasively' arguing that no 'reasonable viewer' takes Tucker Carlson seriously
"

Their opinion hosts aren’t the same as their news hosts . There is a difference and yes we should know what is being referred to in that tweet
Not true at all their news host push bs propaganda all the time too

Anyway an source that grades different outlets has them at the same level when it comes to trustworthiness.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/fox-news-bias/

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/msnbc/
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2023, 02:40:51 PM »

>Fox News
Genetic Fallacy

"
"

Not true at all their news host push bs propaganda all the time too

Anyway an source that grades different outlets has them at the same level when it comes to trustworthiness.

“I’ll take ‘a lazy attempt at whataboutism when no one here brought up msnbc’ for $800 Alex”

When I posted the tweet I said if it’s true and second you guys were the one who started talking about oh it’s from fox so it’s not credible.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2023, 02:57:57 PM »

Why should I take "mediabiasfactcheck.com" seriously?

It’s a recommended tool by academic institutions to check how biased a source is 

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2023, 04:35:12 PM »

Democrats want to run against Trump . Republican voters : You need to vote for DeSantis to ensure democrats don’t get what they want from this witch-hunt
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies