Official 2022 Congressional Election Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:12:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Official 2022 Congressional Election Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 546 547 548 [549] 550 551 552 553 554 ... 557
Author Topic: Official 2022 Congressional Election Results Thread  (Read 293036 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13700 on: December 01, 2022, 10:08:22 AM »

The Dems will need to focus on a new message.

I don’t know, it seems like Dobbs worked to overcome some but not all of the Dems’ expected midterm turnout advantage. Doesn’t make sense to ditch what worked when they should expect a Presidential campaign to address the problems with minorities and others in safe blue states.

I am just saying I think it will lose salience as it becomes clear that when the smoke clears, most women will be able to still get an abortion in the first trimester without excessive undue inconvenience, so it will get shopworn and lose it's emotional heft. We shall see.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #13701 on: December 01, 2022, 10:20:51 AM »

The Dems will need to focus on a new message.

I don’t know, it seems like Dobbs worked to overcome some but not all of the Dems’ expected midterm turnout advantage. Doesn’t make sense to ditch what worked when they should expect a Presidential campaign to address the problems with minorities and others in safe blue states.

I am just saying I think it will lose salience as it becomes clear that when the smoke clears, most women will be able to still get an abortion in the first trimester without excessive undue inconvenience, so it will get shopworn and lose it's emotional heft. We shall see.

I mean, not necessarily. A Republican president, house, and senate can certainly change a LOT of things in that calculus, including a national ban. Until Roe is the law of the land again, it will always be on the table in some way I think, outside of the super safe blue states.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #13702 on: December 01, 2022, 11:13:27 AM »

It's crazy to me that pundits refused to see this until the exits/election day. Plenty of the polling - especially the Politico/MC polling - was pointing this out for a *while*
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #13703 on: December 01, 2022, 12:00:29 PM »

Current House popular vote:

Republicans 53,948,354 (50.9%)
Democrats 50,464,746 (47.6%)

R+3.3%

Republicans 54,136,769 (50.8%)
Democrats 50,768,307 (47.7%)

R+3.1%

Republicans 54,324,214 (50.7%)
Democrats 51,169,450 (47.8%)

R+2.9%
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #13704 on: December 01, 2022, 02:02:05 PM »

Adjusting for uncontested seats, gonna be a pretty darn fair map nationally. Enjoy it while it lasts because Ohio/North Carolina redraws are incoming
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #13705 on: December 01, 2022, 03:49:07 PM »

MN had 61% turnout this midterm election down from 64% in 2018. Still one of the highest turnout state in the nation.

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #13706 on: December 01, 2022, 05:11:35 PM »

61% of the overall "population" or of the *voting* population?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13707 on: December 01, 2022, 06:28:05 PM »

61% of the overall "population" or of the *voting* population?

Minnesota has 5.7 million people, so it must be the latter.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13708 on: December 01, 2022, 06:36:18 PM »

Adjusting for uncontested seats, gonna be a pretty darn fair map nationally. Enjoy it while it lasts because Ohio/North Carolina redraws are incoming

New York better make up for that. 
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #13709 on: December 01, 2022, 06:53:42 PM »

New York better make up for that. 

Maryland too. Sure, they only have one Republican seat, but Andy Harris is awful and the initial map before being overturned already featured him drawn into a district where he could lose in a Democratic enough year. Hell, his performance this year in a much more favorable district wasn't even all that spectacular given how parts of the eastern shore seem to be trending. That one seat if and when it flips would still be a pretty valuable pickup.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #13710 on: December 01, 2022, 09:07:29 PM »

The CBS election night coverage this year may have been the most egregious example of the press wanting there to be a red wave so badly that they were wishcasting it into fruition well into the night, even the 7pm hour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UPzp300d7U

They are going on and on about how only the economy mattered, inflation was the biggest issue, Dems messaged up on spending so much time on abortion, etc.

They really needed that red wave. Like the exit poll at this point already said abortion was only slightly #2 behind Economy at #1 and they're still just ignoring it... (i'm nearing the 8pm mark)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #13711 on: December 01, 2022, 09:10:43 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2022, 09:19:43 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

The CBS election night coverage this year may have been the most egregious example of the press wanting there to be a red wave so badly that they were wishcasting it into fruition well into the night, even the 7pm hour

They are going on and on about how only the economy mattered, inflation was the biggest issue, Dems messaged up on spending so much time on abortion, etc.

They really needed that red wave. Like the exit poll at this point already said abortion was only slightly #2 behind Economy at #1 and they're still just ignoring it... (i'm nearing the 8pm mark)

There wasn't a red wave because of 4% unemployment, Trump had 46% Approvals in 2018 and kept the Sen but lost more H seats due to Ukraine impeachment

Why do you think we had no Incumbent Govs lose reelection except Sisolak low unemployment too

DeSantis is hypocritical because he touts low unemployment in FL but he wants to be Prez and beat Biden and Biden is gonna tout national low unemployment if the two bump heads in Prez Edays and Blue states WI. Over red states anyways

DeWine helped Vance whom was gonna lose to Ryan he talked about how low unemployment was in OHIO

There wasn't any minimum wage increase but states had to do them individually because of Labor Shortages due to people retiring early
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #13712 on: December 01, 2022, 09:18:45 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2022, 09:22:13 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

The reason why there is inflation because when I asked a Subway worker why Foot long Subs went up from 5.00/10.00 is because wages went up from 10.00/15.00 that's why there is Inflation

Everyone knows that the rich get richer the poor gets poor the majority of Doctors or Lawyers go to Ivy League schools because they are rich already not too many poor people can affordd Ivy league schools so instead of working Manuel labor people retired, so employees raised wages and 7% inflation but rents went up 23% and won't return to normal for a decade
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #13713 on: December 01, 2022, 10:01:45 PM »

I watched Fox News's coverage recently, and I'm amazed at how long they kept up the red wave stuff as well, even for them.  Well into the night (like after Fetterman was projected in PA even), Rove was insisting Republicans would pick up 20+ House seats.  And he was just straight up wrong about things.  At one point, Johnson was leading by 3 points, and Rove was like, that lead will obviously expand, there are more Republican votes outstanding (Johnson won by 1 point in the end).  In PA, he was saying, all the mail vote is counted first, so Oz will overtake Fetterman, etc.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #13714 on: December 01, 2022, 10:19:32 PM »

I watched Fox News's coverage recently, and I'm amazed at how long they kept up the red wave stuff as well, even for them.  Well into the night (like after Fetterman was projected in PA even), Rove was insisting Republicans would pick up 20+ House seats.  And he was just straight up wrong about things.  At one point, Johnson was leading by 3 points, and Rove was like, that lead will obviously expand, there are more Republican votes outstanding (Johnson won by 1 point in the end).  In PA, he was saying, all the mail vote is counted first, so Oz will overtake Fetterman, etc.

Karl Rove is well past his expiry date for useful political insight. Not much if at all better than Dick Morris.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #13715 on: December 01, 2022, 10:21:10 PM »

CBS was basically on full on "red wave" mode until the 9pm hour, shockingly. The tone clearly shifted but the fact that they kept it going until then was just absolutely insane.

Funny how as soon as it became evident the red wave was not happening (to them, which was in the 9pm hour), Margaret Brenner was nowhere to be found.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #13716 on: December 01, 2022, 10:26:29 PM »

CBS was basically on full on "red wave" mode until the 9pm hour, shockingly. The tone clearly shifted but the fact that they kept it going until then was just absolutely insane.

Funny how as soon as it became evident the red wave was not happening (to them, which was in the 9pm hour), Margaret Brenner was nowhere to be found.

MSNBC was very pleasant to watch.  Fun dynamic between Rachel Maddow, Nicolle Wallace, and Joy Reid (although I'm not a huge Joy Reid fan and she did say some incorrect things about Miami Dade, such as that it had been trending red for a long time, which it hadn't), and Kornacki's analysis was spot on.  Before it became clear there would not be a red wave, too, they really weren't going all in on that at all, and there were several guests talking about how Dems could overperform expectations even before it was clear that they would.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #13717 on: December 01, 2022, 10:29:23 PM »

Karl Rove is well past his expiry date for useful political insight. Not much if at all better than Dick Morris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TwuR0jCavk

This one is still an all-timer
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #13718 on: December 01, 2022, 10:56:10 PM »

As a naive high school student watching FOX News in 2012, I fell for Rove's reaction and briefly had false hope that Romney still had a chance.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13719 on: December 01, 2022, 11:33:03 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2022, 11:43:13 PM by Roll Roons »

Btw, CA-13 is callable.

Four of the five counties in the district have certified their results.

Fresno is the only county in this district that hasn't finished counting. They have around 3000 left countywide (and that's probably generous), but less than 10% of Fresno County's population lives in CA-13. Even if 100% of those remaining ballots broke for Gray (which they obviously won't), he still wouldn't be able to overtake Duarte. The math just does not work for him at this point.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #13720 on: December 01, 2022, 11:36:33 PM »

As a naive high school student watching FOX News in 2012, I fell for Rove's reaction and briefly had false hope that Romney still had a chance.

If you had spent that time praying instead it's possible.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #13721 on: December 01, 2022, 11:39:29 PM »

One other thing I forgot to mention about Fox News/Karl Rove:  Rove just asserted at one point, "Laxalt will win Washoe county," no elaboration, just stated it as if it were fact.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13722 on: December 02, 2022, 06:54:52 AM »

It’s amazing that everyone though he was a genius after he was able to re-elect Bush narrowly in 2004 when the fundamentals strongly favored him.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #13723 on: December 02, 2022, 08:24:35 AM »

One other thing I forgot to mention about Fox News/Karl Rove:  Rove just asserted at one point, "Laxalt will win Washoe county," no elaboration, just stated it as if it were fact.

Rove is a bonafide moron. I remember him in utter denial that the numbers were somehow wrong when Fox projected Obama the winner of Ohio. Not once, but twice.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #13724 on: December 02, 2022, 09:19:45 AM »

CNN and MSNBC's election coverage is also superior just because they not only take a longer look at the data, but they announce basically EVERY call, which you should be doing on election night. CBS basically just announced a few that they thought were significant, and even top races that were showing how the night was going (Hassan, for example), they pretty much totally ignored. It was a really weird broadcast and I'm sorry for whoever watched them all throughout the night.

They were essentially ignoring the data that didn't match their priors until very late in the night.
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 546 547 548 [549] 550 551 552 553 554 ... 557  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies