UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 11:34:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 191 192 193 [194] 195 196 197 198 199 ... 237
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 264895 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4825 on: November 14, 2023, 02:12:37 AM »

Leadsom has been wanting that for ages; it’s quite fun to see which MPs are basically auditioning for a return from the backbenches.

The reshuffle has shown how easy it is in the U.K. to move the coverage by the lobby; virtually no discussion of Braverman let alone the events at the weekend and no doubt we’ll have lots of breathless coverage now when the Tories skim 2 points off a polling lead
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #4826 on: November 14, 2023, 05:48:08 AM »

So hold up, just to be clear: Sunak thought bringing back the man who simultaneously is both most responsible for Brexit and is absolutely loathed by Brexiteers might breathe some new life into his failing, flailing party?

Do I have that right?

More likely that he need someone who can do the job without embarrassing UK or making a lot of intrigue. I see the selection of Cameron more as a way to remove potential dangers than gaining anything. The foreign ministry is very important, you can’t place some idiot there, but it’s also a position which an ambitious man can use to gain popularity.

So the choice of Cameron is more a sign of Sunak being so weak and his position so shaky that he can’t afford to let anyone competent gain any popularity, because it would be a potential challenger to him. Strong leaders prefer clear heir, weak leaders can’t afford that.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4827 on: November 14, 2023, 06:44:47 AM »

Well, as long as Liz's pork markets aren't in Downing Street, Dave's fine.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4828 on: November 14, 2023, 10:13:39 AM »

If Rishi Sunak thinks he can just put lipstick on a pig by bringing David Cameron back… wait, I'd better stop this analogy here.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4829 on: November 14, 2023, 11:01:04 AM »

So hold up, just to be clear: Sunak thought bringing back the man who simultaneously is both most responsible for Brexit and is absolutely loathed by Brexiteers might breathe some new life into his failing, flailing party?

Do I have that right?

Lots of Westminster commentators adore Dave, though.

Some of the gushing from them yesterday was positively unseemly.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #4830 on: November 14, 2023, 11:07:35 AM »

Today is King Charles' 75th birthday
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4831 on: November 14, 2023, 11:09:22 AM »

The reshuffle has shown how easy it is in the U.K. to move the coverage by the lobby; virtually no discussion of Braverman let alone the events at the weekend and no doubt we’ll have lots of breathless coverage now when the Tories skim 2 points off a polling lead

Most of them really are golden retrievers with keyboards.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #4832 on: November 14, 2023, 11:47:59 AM »
« Edited: November 14, 2023, 11:58:55 AM by Torrain »

Vitriolic letter from Braverman to Sunak tonight:

"Despite you having been rejected by a majority of party members during the summer leadership contest and thus having no personal mandate to be prime minister, I agreed to support you because of the firm assurances you gave me on key policy priorities."

Those priorities were reducing illegal migration, measures to stop small boats crossing the channel, delivering the Northern Ireland Protocol and the Retained EU law legislation as they were a year ago, and issuing statutory guidance protecting biological sex.

You have manifestly and repeatedly failed to deliver on every single one of these key policies.

Someone needs to be honest: your plan is not working, we have endured record election defeats, your resets have failed and we are running out of time.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4833 on: November 14, 2023, 11:48:35 AM »
« Edited: November 14, 2023, 12:07:47 PM by Torrain »

Sounds more like a campaign announcement than anything else, very like her 2022 antics. Mind you, given some of the polling about her firing, it's clear she has next to no appeal beyond the grassroots:

Does feel like the letter was drafted for a "resign on principle, in a blaze of glory", moment, rather than a dismissal.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #4834 on: November 14, 2023, 12:59:24 PM »

Mind you, given some of the polling about her firing, it's clear she has next to no appeal beyond the grassroots:

Does feel like the letter was drafted for a "resign on principle, in a blaze of glory", moment, rather than a dismissal.
It would help if she had not spent the last year in a government that by her own admission had done bugger all on these issues apparently.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #4835 on: November 14, 2023, 01:26:19 PM »

Was shocked to see the notification yesterday saying Cameron had been made Foreign Secretary, so much so that I missed that Braverman had been fired until much later which I think was probably the point.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #4836 on: November 14, 2023, 02:55:30 PM »

It probably wouldn't have been quite as sensational news, thereby not drowning out Braverman's sacking as much, but I wonder if Sunak couldn't have reached the same objectives by convincing Hauge to return as Foreign Secretary instead.

He is already in the lords and just like Cameron is an experienced politician and "pair-of-safe-hands" that wouldn't be a potential leadership challenger while (as far as I know) being much less controversial both among the general public and the crazy Tory right than Cameron.

This appointment also means Cameron is the first former PM since Thatcher to be elevated to the HoL, is it not?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4837 on: November 14, 2023, 03:02:40 PM »

It probably wouldn't have been quite as sensational news, thereby not drowning out Braverman's sacking as much, but I wonder if Sunak couldn't have reached the same objectives by convincing Hauge to return as Foreign Secretary instead.

He is already in the lords and just like Cameron is an experienced politician and "pair-of-safe-hands" that wouldn't be a potential leadership challenger while (as far as I know) being much less controversial both among the general public and the crazy Tory right than Cameron.

This appointment also means Cameron is the first former PM since Thatcher to be elevated to the HoL, is it not?

Hague has said in media comments since the Cameron appointment that he's been asked to return by "multiple" PMs since he left the Commons for the Lords. He's a very close ally of Sunak (who succeeded him in his safe North Yorkshire seat).

It's quite likely that Sunak asked Hague, who declined, but pointed him at Cameron, who's been itching for a return for a while. There was a whole "Cameron wants to be Foreign Sec" news cycle in 2018, to the point that YouGov ran a poll to gauge public support for it.

And aye - first ennobled PM since Thatcher.
afleitch
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4838 on: November 14, 2023, 03:15:04 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2023, 05:15:35 PM by afleitch »

It's been suggested that Cameron hasn't really been enjoying his downtime. Foreign Secretary remains the one role, similar to US Secretary of State, that carries gravitas on a similar footing to the 'big job' and with less of the stress. It still remains an important position even stripped of the international prestige it once had. Cameron was a much more present PM on the foreign stage which since has been dominated by Brexit and Covid.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4839 on: November 14, 2023, 06:47:39 PM »

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #4840 on: November 14, 2023, 10:13:33 PM »

The GOP is catching up with the Tories in how many House Leaders they have had since 2015, and the Tories are responding by saying “we will have more PMs than you have House Leaders”
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #4841 on: November 15, 2023, 02:55:57 AM »

"People Polling" has a very strong anti-Tory (and pro-Reform UK) house effect, and there are certain other reasons to be a bit suspicious of them.  More generally, I'll continue to be sceptical that Reform UK are really on more than abour 4% until I start seeing evidence from real elections consistent with a higher figure.

As to speculation about yet another Tory leadership contest, there's clearly some dissatisfaction out there but based on the numbers going public I doubt that it is enough to get the numbers needed to trigger a confidence vote yet alone to actually vote Sunak out.  With one illiterate exception, even those who have gone public haven't actually called for Sunak to go yet.

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4842 on: November 15, 2023, 03:21:29 AM »

Yes People Polling had a Truss era poll that showed the Tories at 14%.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #4843 on: November 15, 2023, 04:29:43 AM »

I was never able to tell whether People Polling were a Corbynite or a hard-right outlet - I’m guessing the latter?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4844 on: November 15, 2023, 04:42:13 AM »

The GOP is catching up with the Tories in how many House Leaders they have had since 2015, and the Tories are responding by saying “we will have more PMs than you have House Leaders”

LOL, could Cameron get another shot at Prime Minister next year, or will he just be party leader after the next election because no one else is left?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4845 on: November 15, 2023, 04:51:29 AM »

I was never able to tell whether People Polling were a Corbynite or a hard-right outlet - I’m guessing the latter?

They’re Matthew Goodwin’s firm.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4846 on: November 15, 2023, 05:18:44 AM »

AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4847 on: November 15, 2023, 05:19:23 AM »

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4848 on: November 15, 2023, 05:36:18 AM »

On the Supreme Court decision - they were at pains to point out that repudiating/leaving the ECHR wouldn’t be enough on its own to allow the policy to go ahead. Rwanda failed a series of tests under both domestic law and international obligations.

The Tory right have convened a meeting of MPs and Peers to fume and plan next steps, with the likes of Bill Cash and David Frost speaking. Expect they’ll make some sort of ECHR demand regardless. Question now is whether they get space at PMQs, or an amendment to the Kings Speech legislation.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4849 on: November 15, 2023, 06:34:10 AM »

They’re Matthew Goodwin’s firm.

No wonder it's a clown show.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 191 192 193 [194] 195 196 197 198 199 ... 237  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies