FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:25:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 131
Author Topic: FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)  (Read 120814 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: August 13, 2022, 12:12:10 PM »

Aw, GM, it took me like five whole minutes to type that thought out on my phone Tongue

Actually, that was me.  It was collateral damage when I was cleaning up the thread Tongue

Thanks for clearing that up.  I was a bit confused since I don't have mod privs on this board.
super6646
Canada

« Reply #1126 on: August 13, 2022, 12:12:25 PM »

But why? (Hard-hitting and insightful political analysis, I know)

Why have those documents in the first place?

The reason probably is that Trump is an idiot and also extremely arrogant . Just as how Nixon’s paranoia caught up with him with Watergate , it seems like Trump’s idiocy and arrogance is catching up with him .

Did your account get hacked or something?!!
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1127 on: August 13, 2022, 12:17:07 PM »

LMAO.  Name one.

Please say Oklahoma, please say Oklahoma...
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1128 on: August 13, 2022, 12:19:59 PM »

My guess is that his cronies were packing up all their other incriminating documents regarding their many acts of malfeasance, and this just happened to get swept into the mix. He probably didn’t even know he had it.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1129 on: August 13, 2022, 12:21:53 PM »

My guess is even if Trump gets convicted he would not be put in the regular prison system . The DOJ probably would use an abandoned military base or even a property of his and then just fence it off .
Maybe to assuage Trump's ego, we can give him the Napoleon treatment and just make him Emperor of Niihau. He got 100% of the vote there, so he could be surrounded by fans for the rest of his life.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1130 on: August 13, 2022, 12:23:05 PM »

My guess is that his cronies were packing up all their other incriminating documents regarding their many acts of malfeasance, and this just happened to get swept into the mix. He probably didn’t even know he had it.
Why keep them instead of destroying them though?
citizenZ
citizenq
United States

« Reply #1131 on: August 13, 2022, 12:23:40 PM »

My guess is even if Trump gets convicted he would not be put in the regular prison system . The DOJ probably would use an abandoned military base or even a property of his and then just fence it off .
Maybe to assuage Trump's ego, we can give him the Napoleon treatment and just make him Emperor of Niihau. He got 100% of the vote there, so he could be surrounded by fans for the rest of his life.

You realize he starts 2024 with the Republican Nomination, and a minimum of 74 million voters and 235 electoral votes, right?
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1132 on: August 13, 2022, 12:24:19 PM »

I have a question for the people still going with the "Trump could mentally declassify these documents without telling anyone" schtick – what if Biden declassified these documents mentally without telling anyone? Do you see how stupid these things get if you reduce a type of document classification to a purely philosophical and fundamentally unknowable state of being?

That's another thing here, I don't really think thoughts have legal standing in that way. If he's going to say he declassified it then he has to produce some kind of contemporaneous document from when he was president showing that. I think we know he didn't actually do that.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1133 on: August 13, 2022, 12:28:16 PM »

Are we sure he was aware of them? Maybe he just had them tucked away in a huge filing cabinet labeled “crimes” and never looked through it.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1134 on: August 13, 2022, 12:28:59 PM »

I guess mods deleted the Mark Levin quote thread so I'll repost my comment about executive privilege.

Executive privilege is a made up legal doctrine with no basis in statutory law. Judges can decide whether they're going to honor it on a case by case basis. The Nixon supreme court decision established that you can't use executive privilege to withhold information central to a case, which is certainly the case here.

Regardless, Trump is not the president anymore, and wasn't in June when he allegedly signed a false statement saying he did not have any classified documents with him.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1135 on: August 13, 2022, 12:30:24 PM »

I have a question for the people still going with the "Trump could mentally declassify these documents without telling anyone" schtick – what if Biden declassified these documents mentally without telling anyone? Do you see how stupid these things get if you reduce a type of document classification to a purely philosophical and fundamentally unknowable state of being?

Stop.
That's too much logic for fuzzybear and trump cultists in America.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1136 on: August 13, 2022, 12:34:22 PM »

I have a question for the people still going with the "Trump could mentally declassify these documents without telling anyone" schtick – what if Biden declassified these documents mentally without telling anyone? Do you see how stupid these things get if you reduce a type of document classification to a purely philosophical and fundamentally unknowable state of being?

That's another thing here, I don't really think thoughts have legal standing in that way. If he's going to say he declassified it then he has to produce some kind of contemporaneous document from when he was president showing that. I think we know he didn't actually do that.

Correct, thoughts don't have such legal standing:

Are we sure he was aware of them? Maybe he just had them tucked away in a huge filing cabinet labeled “crimes” and never looked through it.

We're sure that he was aware of them in light of the NYT's report just now:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/13/us/politics/trump-classified-material-fbi.html

In the spring, the Justice Department issued a subpoena to Mr. Trump seeking further documents believed to be in his possession. He was repeatedly urged by advisers to return what remained, despite what they described as his desire to continue to hold onto some documents.

Incidentally, such being the case helps neuter DT's point from a few days ago about how the warrant was apparently unnecessary overkill on account of the "cooperation."
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1137 on: August 13, 2022, 12:38:07 PM »

Don’t you DARE compare Trump to Napoleon. -An angry Napoleon fanboy.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1138 on: August 13, 2022, 12:39:31 PM »

The Saudis didn't pay $2 billion bux to Kushner for nothing.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1139 on: August 13, 2022, 12:40:06 PM »

You realize he starts 2024 with the Republican Nomination, and a minimum of 74 million voters and 235 electoral votes, right?

That's a pretty poor reflection on those 74 million.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1140 on: August 13, 2022, 12:40:47 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/13/us/politics/trump-classified-material-fbi.html

In the spring, the Justice Department issued a subpoena to Mr. Trump seeking further documents believed to be in his possession. He was repeatedly urged by advisers to return what remained, despite what they described as his desire to continue to hold onto some documents.

Incidentally, such being the case helps neuter DT's point from a few days ago about how the warrant was apparently unnecessary overkill on account of the "cooperation."

Perhaps he took them by accident and, realizing what he’d done, tried to pretend they didn’t exist. It’s not that I think Trump isn’t stupid enough to purposely make off with nuclear documents (he absolutely is), but this isn’t something I imagine him doing without some clear incentive or financial gain. What is to be gained from having these documents?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1141 on: August 13, 2022, 12:41:50 PM »

Perhaps he took them by accident and, realizing what he’d done, tried to pretend they didn’t exist. It’s not that I think Trump isn’t stupid enough to purposely make off with nuclear documents (he absolutely is), but this isn’t something I imagine him doing without some clear incentive or financial gain. What is to be gained from having these documents?

My optimistic guess is that he wanted to be able to show them to guests at Maralago to impress them and make them think he's cool.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1142 on: August 13, 2022, 12:43:38 PM »

My optimistic guess is that he wanted to be able to show them to guests at Maralago to impress them and make them think he's cool.

With the pessimistic guess obviously being that he's been selling state secrets.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1143 on: August 13, 2022, 12:43:56 PM »

I’m not sure he was even thinking in those terms. I think he just thought “I want to have these, they belong to me” and took them like souvenirs.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1144 on: August 13, 2022, 12:46:09 PM »

I’m not sure he was even thinking in those terms. I think he just thought “I want to have these, they belong to me” and took them like souvenirs.

This wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. 
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1145 on: August 13, 2022, 12:47:16 PM »

This wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.  

This honestly might even be implied by the relative proximity of the classified sh*t to clear souvenirs like his clemency grant to Stone or the Kim letters (the former of which was just seized; the latter already previously returned).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1146 on: August 13, 2022, 12:50:03 PM »

Exhibit B:

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1147 on: August 13, 2022, 12:57:45 PM »

Yeah, of all the possibilities, this seems most likely to me. Think of Trump's mindset when he was having people pack up the White House to move out back in January 2021. He was 100% convinced he was going to be reinstated as President at any moment. He can't let Sleepy Joe get his greasy hands on all these juicy nuclear docs! They're not even his! He stole the election! Best keep those close by for when he gets called back up to the majors.
citizenZ
citizenq
United States

« Reply #1148 on: August 13, 2022, 01:07:08 PM »

That's a pretty poor reflection on those 74 million.

A vote is a vote is a vote.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #1149 on: August 13, 2022, 01:10:58 PM »

Who cares how many votes Trump got? How many people watched the Cosby Show at one point or another? Popularity doesn't make you above the law, no matter how much conservatives wish that were the case.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 131  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies