Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 10:26:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 281 282 283 284 285 [286] 287 288 289 290 291 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 929136 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7125 on: March 14, 2022, 05:38:50 PM »

The US ought to read this as China using the Russians to test their own missiles and other technology.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7126 on: March 14, 2022, 05:56:27 PM »

Updated list of Russian high ranking officer casualties, now with a second page. Yesterday alone the Russians lost a major general, a major, and three captains. In just the past three days, the Russians have had 10 high ranking officers killed in action.

Another Russian major killed:

Another Russian colonel killed (on the 6th, evidently):

<tweet snip>
The losses really are piling up for the Russians:

there are some deaths reported in media not yet included on the list, like Captain Alexey Glushchak of the GRU (Russian military intelligence) and others not included on the above list, but on this one I found on reddit:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/russia-gru-general-killed-ukraine-war-vladimir-putin-b987888.html?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=Feed

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/te0dt3/list_of_killedcaptured_russian_officers_march_14/
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7127 on: March 14, 2022, 05:59:33 PM »

Suck it Solovyov!

Is there a text in English out there to share? When does Russia plan to annex the Hudson Valley?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7128 on: March 14, 2022, 06:15:11 PM »

The lack of changes in the frontlines recently really suggests Russia is preparing for another big push and is just focusing on defense while it reorganizes. Expect large swaths of territory to fall rapidly once this push begins. It’s clear Russia has learned from their mistakes.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #7129 on: March 14, 2022, 06:29:42 PM »

The lack of changes in the frontlines recently really suggests Russia is preparing for another big push and is just focusing on defense while it reorganizes. Expect large swaths of territory to fall rapidly once this push begins. It’s clear Russia has learned from their mistakes.

Are we talking about the same Russian military? The one that's run out of enough food to ask the Chinese for their MREs?
sguberman
United States

« Reply #7130 on: March 14, 2022, 06:37:27 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2022, 07:00:40 PM by sguberman »

There are still some brave people in Russia.

I don't know if I believe this but this thread is certainly interesting
https://twitter.com/grishchukroma/status/1503500141159985157
edit:
Yeah I am leaning towards this was set up
https://twitter.com/JpnsGd/status/1503515038006534147
edit2: Ok so apparently the Instagram post was fake but I am still suspicious
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7131 on: March 14, 2022, 06:41:32 PM »

It's clear it's trying to learn. We won't know until they renew their offensive.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7132 on: March 14, 2022, 06:42:22 PM »

Suck it Solovyov!

Is there a text in English out there to share? When does Russia plan to annex the Hudson Valley?

They all should die in prison.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7133 on: March 14, 2022, 06:59:56 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2022, 07:14:01 PM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

It's not that hard for their Parliament to call for a no-fly zone they'll have almost zero role in bringing about. Estonia has actually given a decent amount of military aid relative to most of Europe/considering their size, but further support (beyond pushing for harsher EU-wide sanctions etc.) would be most practical in the form of more humanitarian aid and weapons (in terms of weapons, especially the ex-Soviet stuff Western Europe and the US cannot supply)* and/or offering to host Polish jets before they're transferred to Ukraine. Indeed, if they think the risk of a no-fly zone is worth bearing, they shouldn't flinch at the prospect of transferring unarmed jets.

My point is that this is mostly a virtue signal rather than real support.

*Estonia has a pretty limited amount of this. They've sent some D-30 howitzers to Ukraine, but still have most of these, and their military is phasing them out. They also have some Soviet APCs and really old AA/machine guns that Ukraine uses.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #7134 on: March 14, 2022, 07:37:32 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2022, 07:56:18 PM by Storr »

There are still some brave people in Russia.

I don't know if I believe this but this thread is certainly interesting
https://twitter.com/grishchukroma/status/1503500141159985157
edit:
Yeah I am leaning towards this was set up
https://twitter.com/JpnsGd/status/1503515038006534147
edit2: Ok so apparently the Instagram post was fake but I am still suspicious
I don't think this video is a fake??

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #7135 on: March 14, 2022, 07:38:39 PM »

Suck it Solovyov!

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #7136 on: March 14, 2022, 07:43:46 PM »

Suck it Solovyov!

<tweet snip>
Evidently Grozev shared the wrong clip and this is the umm....nutty one:

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7137 on: March 14, 2022, 07:54:54 PM »

China Signals Disinterest in Providing Weapons to Russia for Brutal Ukraine Campaign
Beijing appears eager to distance itself from Russian President Vladimir Putin’s bloody war in Ukraine despite months of warmer relations between the two powers.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7138 on: March 14, 2022, 07:57:32 PM »

Thank you Storr for the translation, and for being you as this tragedy unfolds, and day by day gets ever more horrific, and the odds of the unimaginable tick up.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7139 on: March 14, 2022, 08:00:08 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2022, 08:05:40 PM by NOVA Green »

Is it just me or has it been exceptionally quiet here since I lasted posted?

Haven't really had a chance to really follow much news reporting today at work, but looks like we have the following items discussed / updated from the "Atlas Hive":

1.) Germany to purchase F-35 Fighter Jets
   2.) India-Russia Crude Oil Negotiations
   3.) Slovakia "possibly discussing" transfer of S-300 Rocket Systems to Ukraine
   4.) Chinese Professors article on possible outcomes / impacts of the War from a Chinese
        perspective (As well as several other related articles linked)
   5.) Ukrainian Naval Fleet Status Update
   6.) Russian Military leader saying the "war is not going as well as we had hoped for"
   7.) Chinese-Russian Military-Economic Assistance Related items
   8.) Alleged claim that on one day Russia lost (700) soldiers
   9.) Russian protestor upstaging a Pro-Putin propaganda news anchor live on TV
  10.) Estonia calling for "an immediate no fly zone"
  11.) Finland NATO polling update
  12.) Russian casualty updates

There were a few other misc updates.... but think this pretty much covers the wrap?

OK--- I'll see if there is anything else of interest I can find to contribute for today's updates. Smiley

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7140 on: March 14, 2022, 08:00:40 PM »

China Signals Disinterest in Providing Weapons to Russia for Brutal Ukraine Campaign
Beijing appears eager to distance itself from Russian President Vladimir Putin’s bloody war in Ukraine despite months of warmer relations between the two powers.

That is a relief, but the headline writer does not know the difference between disinterest and uninterest. I hate when that happens. It bothers me even more than therefore and therefor being misused.

I guess maybe that "intense" 7 hour meeting might have done some good.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7141 on: March 14, 2022, 08:03:34 PM »

Suck it Solovyov!

<tweet snip>
Evidently Grozev shared the wrong clip and this is the umm....nutty one:

He must like glowing in the dark.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #7142 on: March 14, 2022, 08:07:44 PM »

Interesting point about how this war could affect the Russian military's ability to retain enough people to fill the ranks. It would make sense it could be forced to more heavily rely on conscripts if fewer soldiers decide to sign contracts. The military might return to the 24 month service requirement, which was reduced to 12 months in 2007.

2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7143 on: March 14, 2022, 08:12:16 PM »

Interesting point about how this war could affect the Russian military's ability to retain enough people to fill the ranks. It would make sense it could be forced to more heavily rely on conscripts if fewer soldiers decide to sign contracts. The military might return to the 24 month service requirement, which was reduced to 12 months in 2007.

No problem. Putin will "convince" conscripts to sign service contracts.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7144 on: March 14, 2022, 08:12:57 PM »

Is it just me or has it been exceptionally quiet here since I lasted posted?

Haven't really had a chance to really follow much news reporting today at work, but looks like we have the following items discussed / updated from the "Atlas Hive":

1.) Germany to purchase F-35 Fighter Jets
   2.) India-Russia Crude Oil Negotiations
   3.) Slovakia "possibly discussing" transfer of S-300 Rocket Systems to Ukraine
   4.) Chinese Professors article on possible outcomes / impacts of the War from a Chinese
        perspective (As well as several other related articles linked)
   5.) Ukrainian Naval Fleet Status Update
   6.) Russian Military leader saying the "war is not going as well as we had hoped for"
   7.) Chinese-Russian Military-Economic Assistance Related items
   8.) Alleged claim that on one day Russia lost (700) soldiers
   9.) Russian protestor upstaging a Pro-Putin propaganda news anchor live on TV
  10.) Estonia calling for "an immediate no fly zone"
  11.) Finland NATO polling update
  12.) Russian casualty updates

There were a few other misc updates.... but think this pretty much covers the wrap?

OK--- I'll see if there is anything else of interest I can find to contribute for today's updates. Smiley

Do your best!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7145 on: March 14, 2022, 08:15:26 PM »

This is already widespread and is the only reason why they hit the 2/3rds contract soldiers target in the first place...
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #7146 on: March 14, 2022, 08:29:15 PM »

You do have a point. My curiosity was aroused and while looking at information about Soviet-era conscription I learned that evidently from 1939-55 the term of service in the Soviet Navy was five years!
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #7147 on: March 14, 2022, 08:48:54 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2022, 09:10:52 PM by Interlocutor »

Did I miss something today? Folks seem to be getting more grim about the possibility of nuclear war since this afternoon (Forgive me Torie if that's not what you were implying):

Thank you Storr for the translation, and for being you as this tragedy unfolds, and day by day gets ever more horrific, and the odds of the unimaginable tick up.

And from another thread:

Nuclear War is probably the endgame here, if only because Putin isn't going to stop in Ukraine. He's going to invade a NATO nation, possibly the Baltic States, possibly Poland, and that's going to trigger a massive nuclear exchange.

Nuclear war is the most likely outcome at this point.

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7148 on: March 14, 2022, 09:10:44 PM »

I think everybody thinks the war is getting so bloody and likely to get worse that NATO will get involved, which obviously raises the nuclear stakes quite a bit. But I trust Biden to hold the line on this. No direct attack on Russian forces unless they attack a NATO member.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #7149 on: March 14, 2022, 09:18:14 PM »

I think everybody thinks the war is getting so bloody and likely to get worse that NATO will get involved, which obviously raises the nuclear stakes quite a bit. But I trust Biden to hold the line on this. No direct attack on Russian forces unless they attack a NATO member.

I guess. I wonder if this "Will they or won't they?" conundrum with Chinese assistance is freaking out some folks as well.

I don't know. I just don't think the chances of nuclear armageddon have increased all that much, if at all, since yesterday. Even with whatever's happening with China & NATO
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 283 284 285 [286] 287 288 289 290 291 ... 1172  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies