Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 07:50:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 193 194 195 196 197 [198] 199 200 201 202 203 ... 1170
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 919087 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4925 on: March 01, 2022, 04:21:41 PM »

Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4926 on: March 01, 2022, 04:23:31 PM »

Also, it's clear that China got it right when it decided to ring-fence its internet, bar Western internet and social media companies that wouldn't meet its requirements, which turned out to be all of them, and develop domestic alternatives. Facebook and Twitter are turning out to be huge national security nightmares for Russia as they are clearly intervening on behalf of the Ukrainians and banning them now could cause backlash as there may not be an alternative (maybe Telegram?) and Russians are used to using them. China would not face this issue at all. Yes it's annoying to use the internet in China particularly to browse foreign websites but national security is more important than my convenience.
You are a pathetic excuse of a human who is desirous of oppression, we know this.

Preferring authoritarianism to libertarianism is a valid position to take.
I don't care
If Mr. TheReckoning loves Russian authoritarianism so much, perhaps he would enjoy a short stay in the gulag.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4927 on: March 01, 2022, 04:23:41 PM »

Ugh, what an embarrassing climbdown. It looked like it was finally time to stand up to the West and challenge them but didn't even last a week. It pains me to admit it but the Americans pushed us around on this. Now this is something I need to cope over.

China ready to ‘play a role’ in Ukraine ceasefire

China signalled it was ready to play a role in finding a ceasefire in Ukraine as it “deplored” the outbreak of conflict in its strongest comments yet on the war.

Beijing said it was “extremely concerned about the harm to civilians” in comments that came after a phone call between Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi and his Ukrainian counterpart Dmytro Kuleba.

“Ukraine is willing to strengthen communications with China and looks forward to China playing a role in realising a ceasefire,” the Chinese statement said on Tuesday.

It added that it respected “the territorial integrity of all countries”, without indicating whether Beijing accepted Russia’s claim to the Crimean peninsula or shared its recognition of separatists in the Donbas region of eastern Ukraine.

While I deeply hope China is able to bring peace and end this war, the text that I chose to bold interests me. The choice of words is not unique to China and I have seen others say that, but given that China considers Taiwan to be part of its territory I cannot help but see this as the CCP preparing their talking points for a coming invasion.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4928 on: March 01, 2022, 04:27:51 PM »

It's beyond embarrassing how Schröder is conducting himself here. An embarrassment for Germany and for the Social Democratic Party. And I'm saying this as someone who always approved his chancellorship.

Is there any discussion, in Germany of course, regarding Merkel's legacy on Nord Stream 2?

Not really about Merkel herself, but more generally the approach towards Russia. Merkel recently came out with a strong statement condemning the war and backing the Scholz government, which is largely supported by the CDU/CSU opposition as well.

However, Merkel is not remotely comparable to Schröder, as she isn't on Putin's payroll. Merkel always seemed uninterested in any such business activities or enrichment in general. There are reasons to criticize her tenure, but her personal integrity was never in question. Certainly something I credit her for.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #4929 on: March 01, 2022, 04:29:13 PM »

Apple to suspend product sales in Russia. Furthermore, RT and Sputnik are banned from Apple app shop.

WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #4930 on: March 01, 2022, 04:29:44 PM »

Russia is now being distanced by even some of its strongest allies in Latin America per NYT report from a few minutes back.

Lots more but limited in quoting ability.

(Click on link below for full article)

"Some of Putin’s staunchest allies in Latin America are distancing themselves from Russia.

Russia’s Latin American allies have distanced themselves from President Vladimir V. Putin’s war in Ukraine, underscoring how even his staunchest diplomatic supporters appear concerned about the consequences of the cataclysmic invasion of a neighbor.

The governments of Cuba, Nicaragua and Venezuela have all blamed the United States and NATO for stoking tensions in Ukraine and disregarding Russia’s security interests. But none has yet voiced direct support for Russia’s incursion.

Cuba, Bolivia and Venezuela, in official statements, have called for a diplomatic resolution to the crisis. Bolivia’s former president, Evo Morales, who continues to play an important role in his country’s pro-Russian government, tweeted after the fighting began last Thursday, “War is never the solution.”

Similarly cautious diplomatic stances were taken by President Nicolás Maduro of Venezuela and his Nicaraguan counterpart, Daniel Ortega, both of whom spoke to Mr. Putin by telephone in the days before the invasion.

President Jair Bolsonaro visited Moscow just days before the invasion, and said Brazil stood in “solidarity” with Russia, though he didn’t clarify what that meant.

But in a news conference on Sunday, Mr. Bolsonaro said Brazil must remain neutral in the conflict because of the potential economic fallout, including Brazil’s dependence on Russia for fertilizers

..."

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/03/01/world/ukraine-russia-war/some-of-putins-staunchest-allies-in-latin-america-are-distancing-themselves-from-russia

But “muh Latin American perspective” Roll Eyes
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4931 on: March 01, 2022, 04:32:33 PM »

Did Russia even teach its tank crews how to drive? This is the sixth armored vehicle to slide off the road or a bridge (this tweet is the latest in a thread of these incidents):

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #4932 on: March 01, 2022, 04:34:42 PM »

While I deeply hope China is able to bring peace and end this war, the text that I chose to bold interests me. The choice of words is not unique to China and I have seen others say that, but given that China considers Taiwan to be part of its territory I cannot help but see this as the CCP preparing their talking points for a coming invasion.

I wouldn't be as pessimistic. The situation of 'two Chinas' is distinctly unique. While China claims Taiwan, strictly speaking constitutionally, Taiwan claims China. If anything Russia's stumbling into Crimea in the first instance and now Ukraine, with the international repercussions will have made PRC rethink whatever long term or short term plans it had for Taiwan.

And as someone has mentioned, with Europe under the guise of the EU beefing up it's defences and adjusting it's diplomacy in response to Russia, it gives the US a greater ability to look towards the Pacific and no doubt may hasten Japan into a degree of militarisation if the post-war and post-cold war order of certain countries remaining neutral (eg Finland) is disrupted.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #4933 on: March 01, 2022, 04:35:17 PM »

Apple to suspend product sales in Russia. Furthermore, RT and Sputnik are banned from Apple app shop.

So much winning Putin! So much winning!!!!
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4934 on: March 01, 2022, 04:35:23 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2022, 04:40:17 PM by Middle-aged Europe »

It's beyond embarrassing how Schröder is conducting himself here. An embarrassment for Germany and for the Social Democratic Party. And I'm saying this as someone who always approved his chancellorship.

Is there any discussion, in Germany of course, regarding Merkel's legacy on Nord Stream 2?

Not really about Merkel herself, but more generally the approach towards Russia. Merkel recently came out with a strong statement condemning the war and backing the Scholz government, which is largely supported by the CDU/CSU opposition as well.

However, Merkel is not remotely comparable to Schröder, as she isn't on Putin's payroll. Merkel always seemed uninterested in any such business activities or enrichment in general. There are reasons to criticize her tenure, but her personal integrity was never in question. Certainly something I credit her for.

Not to mention that Merkel didn't have the kind of close personal and political relationship with Putin that Schröder has maintained since the early 2000s. Schröder after all was the one who coined the much-criticized and often-lampooned term "flawless democrat" with regards to Putin during the Orange Revolution of 2004.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4935 on: March 01, 2022, 04:40:17 PM »

I wouldn't be as pessimistic. The situation of 'two Chinas' is distinctly unique. While China claims Taiwan, strictly speaking constitutionally, Taiwan claims China. If anything Russia's stumbling into Crimea in the first instance and now Ukraine, with the international repercussions will have made PRC rethink whatever long term or short term plans it had for Taiwan.

And as someone has mentioned, with Europe under the guise of the EU beefing up it's defences and adjusting it's diplomacy in response to Russia, it gives the US a greater ability to look towards the Pacific and no doubt may hasten Japan into a degree of militarisation if the post-war and post-cold war order of certain countries remaining neutral (eg Finland) is disrupted.

That is a good point, given how badly the invasion has gone for Russia. It hadn't occurred to me that China might genuinely be rethinking a belligerent stance since Ukraine didn't just immediately fold like it seemed it might.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4936 on: March 01, 2022, 04:44:41 PM »

So, what do people think might be the endgame here? Ultimately it feels like, if the combatants remain only Russia (plus Belarus) and Ukraine, Russia is likely to win the conventional war eventually, even if it takes them months to occupy the whole country. On the other hand, in the last few days, the European powers (and the US, operating behind the scenes) seem to have committed themselves quite far towards a position where Russia cannot be allowed to win the conventional war. Right now, that doesn't mean direct intervention because the Russians aren't about to win, and clearly there are high hopes on the European side that the Ukrainians can ultimately repel the Russian forces without direct military intervention by the rest of Europe. But what happens if, as is more likely, the Ukrainians eventually start to crumble under the pressure? Given the implicit commitments by the UK, France, etc. to preventing Russia from winning, not to mention the strong pressure from Poland, Romania, the Baltics, etc. and popular sentiment in all of the above countries, it feels like a European intervention would have to happen at some point. I think we all hope it doesn't come to that, but isn't that starting to feel inevitable? Not now, and maybe not until May or so, but at some point?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4937 on: March 01, 2022, 04:48:19 PM »

Russia is now being distanced by even some of its strongest allies in Latin America per NYT report from a few minutes back.

"Some of Putin’s staunchest allies in Latin America are distancing themselves from Russia.

Russia’s Latin American allies have distanced themselves from President Vladimir V. Putin’s war in Ukraine, underscoring how even his staunchest diplomatic supporters appear concerned about the consequences of the cataclysmic invasion of a neighbor.

The governments of Cuba, Nicaragua and Venezuela have all blamed the United States and NATO for stoking tensions in Ukraine and disregarding Russia’s security interests. But none has yet voiced direct support for Russia’s incursion.

Cuba, Bolivia and Venezuela, in official statements, have called for a diplomatic resolution to the crisis. Bolivia’s former president, Evo Morales, who continues to play an important role in his country’s pro-Russian government, tweeted after the fighting began last Thursday, “War is never the solution.”

Similarly cautious diplomatic stances were taken by President Nicolás Maduro of Venezuela and his Nicaraguan counterpart, Daniel Ortega, both of whom spoke to Mr. Putin by telephone in the days before the invasion.

President Jair Bolsonaro visited Moscow just days before the invasion, and said Brazil stood in “solidarity” with Russia, though he didn’t clarify what that meant.

But in a news conference on Sunday, Mr. Bolsonaro said Brazil must remain neutral in the conflict because of the potential economic fallout, including Brazil’s dependence on Russia for fertilizers

..."

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/03/01/world/ukraine-russia-war/some-of-putins-staunchest-allies-in-latin-america-are-distancing-themselves-from-russia

Yeah--- the interesting thing is all of these pieces (including the Latin American angle) really show how deeply isolated Putin has become since the invasion of Ukraine, where he isn't even really getting support now from governments that are heavily dependent upon Russian economic and political support, such as Nicaragua and Venezuela.

Here's another quote from the same article:

"Earlier this year, Mr. Putin sought to further expand Russia’s influence in Latin America, building ties in the region to countries like Brazil and Argentina that have traditionally been close to Washington."

The President of Argentina who just visited Putin in Moscow last Month had his government condemn the Russian attacks "strongest rejection of the use of armed force."

Putin definitely neglected his reading of "how to make friends and influence people" and basically has completely flunked the global test with his insane invasion of Ukraine, even among potential allies he might have previously had in his back pocket.
thebeloitmoderate
Mexico

« Reply #4938 on: March 01, 2022, 04:51:28 PM »

Once again Putin is nothing but insanely nuts he says he wants to "denazify Ukraine" but this happened instead
https://thehill.com/policy/international/596325-holocaust-memorial-site-bombed-in-ukraine-zelensky-says
World leaders should speak about this!
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #4939 on: March 01, 2022, 04:58:06 PM »

..."

Well, if I was considered  a rogue state by a major power near me, I wouldn't be propagandize "major powers invading smaller states is legitimate and good" talking points, too. ;-)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4940 on: March 01, 2022, 04:58:53 PM »

Once again Putin is nothing but insanely nuts he says he wants to "denazify Ukraine" but this happened instead
https://thehill.com/policy/international/596325-holocaust-memorial-site-bombed-in-ukraine-zelensky-says
World leaders should speak about this!

He’s denazifying by destroying the evidence.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4941 on: March 01, 2022, 05:00:05 PM »

So, what do people think might be the endgame here? Ultimately it feels like, if the combatants remain only Russia (plus Belarus) and Ukraine, Russia is likely to win the conventional war eventually, even if it takes them months to occupy the whole country. On the other hand, in the last few days, the European powers (and the US, operating behind the scenes) seem to have committed themselves quite far towards a position where Russia cannot be allowed to win the conventional war. Right now, that doesn't mean direct intervention because the Russians aren't about to win, and clearly there are high hopes on the European side that the Ukrainians can ultimately repel the Russian forces without direct military intervention by the rest of Europe. But what happens if, as is more likely, the Ukrainians eventually start to crumble under the pressure? Given the implicit commitments by the UK, France, etc. to preventing Russia from winning, not to mention the strong pressure from Poland, Romania, the Baltics, etc. and popular sentiment in all of the above countries, it feels like a European intervention would have to happen at some point. I think we all hope it doesn't come to that, but isn't that starting to feel inevitable? Not now, and maybe not until May or so, but at some point?
Who is we?
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #4942 on: March 01, 2022, 05:01:32 PM »

The end game is a largely intact Ukrainian army acting as a resistance force with NATO weapons and unbombable bases in Poland while the Russian economy is in taters and can’t possibly support a long term occupation.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #4943 on: March 01, 2022, 05:01:48 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2022, 05:07:24 PM by "?" »

At this point, I'm not thinking about the outcome of the war or a Russian victory (Whatever that means anymore) but rather what people expect to happen after this is over. Even if Kiev is reduced to ashes & the Russians go full-on Soviet, I don't think a Russian occupation will mean the end of fighting or Ukrainian resistance.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4944 on: March 01, 2022, 05:03:39 PM »

6 out of 15 Ukrainian Nuclear Plants are now offline per NYT update a few minutes back:

(Excerpt with Full link at bottom of excerpt)

"Many nuclear power reactors in Ukraine are no longer producing electricity.

Six of Ukraine’s 15 working nuclear reactors have stopped sending power into the nation’s electrical grid — a high rate of disconnection compared with routine operations before the Russian invasion. The reduction in output might result from the war’s interference with operation of the plants, which require a wealth of industrial supplies and care. The cutbacks, Western experts say, may spiral into rolling blackouts that could further cripple the beleaguered country.

“To put it simply, nuclear power plants are not designed for war zones,” James M. Acton, a nuclear analyst at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, said in a recent report. Ukraine’s nuclear facilities could, he added, “become targets in a war that will, in any case, disrupt their operations.”

Ukraine has four sprawling complexes in different parts of the country that host its 15 operational reactors. The disconnections from the nation’s power grid are being reported by the State Nuclear Regulatory Inspectorate of Ukraine, which is in Kyiv and files daily updates. For instance, on Feb. 1 it reported that all of Ukraine’s nuclear reactors were sending power into the electrical grid. It is not unusual for individual reactors to go offline for maintenance and other purposes.

..."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/01/world/europe/nuclear-power-plant.html
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4945 on: March 01, 2022, 05:05:56 PM »

No. Everybody who sits in the government of a NATO or EU country knows perfectly well what a direct NATO-Russia military confrontation would mean and could result in. Western sanctions are also not designed to necessarily prevent a Russian (conventional military) win in Ukraine, since everybody in these governments already assumes that a Russian "victory" will sooner or later be likely. The purpose of the sanctions is punishment as well as deterrence against future Russian trangressions against other European countries, maybe coupled with the hope that the sanctions might create enough pressure in and on Russia to make them withdraw from Ukraine. But everybody knows that that last part is a gamble that could go either way.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #4946 on: March 01, 2022, 05:09:51 PM »

No. Everybody who sits in the government of a NATO or EU country knows perfectly well what a direct NATO-Russia military confrontation would mean and could result in. Western sanctions are also not designed to necessarily prevent a Russian win in Ukraine, since everybody in these governments already assumes that a Russian victory will sooner or later be likely. The purpose of the sanctions is punishment as well as deterrence against future Russian trangressions against other European countries, maybe coupled with the hope that the sanctions might create enough pressure in and on Russia to make them withdraw from Ukraine. But everybody knows that that last part is a gamble that could go either way.
That's the whole problem with the thinking in NATO member countries. Punishment is not enough to deter bad actions, we should be engaging in trying to prevent such actions from occurring in the first place rather than just punishing the bad actors after the fact. Had NATO members acted earlier in protecting Ukraine they wouldn't be in the situation they are in today.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #4947 on: March 01, 2022, 05:10:37 PM »

Also, it's clear that China got it right when it decided to ring-fence its internet, bar Western internet and social media companies that wouldn't meet its requirements, which turned out to be all of them, and develop domestic alternatives. Facebook and Twitter are turning out to be huge national security nightmares for Russia as they are clearly intervening on behalf of the Ukrainians and banning them now could cause backlash as there may not be an alternative (maybe Telegram?) and Russians are used to using them. China would not face this issue at all. Yes it's annoying to use the internet in China particularly to browse foreign websites but national security is more important than my convenience.
You are a pathetic excuse of a human who is desirous of oppression, we know this.

Preferring authoritarianism to libertarianism is a valid position to take.

No, actually.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #4948 on: March 01, 2022, 05:10:50 PM »

No. Everybody who sits in the government of a NATO or EU country knows perfectly well what a direct NATO-Russia military confrontation would mean and could result in. Western sanctions are also not designed to necessarily prevent a Russian win in Ukraine, since everybody in these governments already assumes that a Russian victory will sooner or later be likely. The purpose of the sanctions is punishment as well as deterrence against future Russian trangressions against other European countries, maybe coupled with the hope that the sanctions might create enough pressure in and on Russia to make them withdraw from Ukraine. But everybody knows that that last part is a gamble that could go either way.

Or simply that the power elites and oligarchs, whose assets tank badly, at some point make an attempt to remove Putin from his throne. I think a lasting solution to this conflict can only happen without Putin. There won't be any kind of normalized relations with the West either as long as he's in the Kremlin. He basically burned down all bridges and lost all remaining credibility.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #4949 on: March 01, 2022, 05:10:55 PM »

Ukraine calls for Russia to be booted off the internet

Ukraine’s Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Digital Transformation Mykhailo Fedorov sent a letter to the president of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) on Monday.

He asked ICANN to revoke — either permanently or temporarily — the domains .ru and .su.

Russia will have no internet soon.
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 195 196 197 [198] 199 200 201 202 203 ... 1170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies